Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Nooooooooooooooooo! I don't go to a cinema to watch a movie so that people can ruin it for me with their lit-up phones and tablets. You especially wouldn't be able to enjoy it with people holding their tablets up like that in front of the big screen. If this eventually becomes a thing for all movies at all cinemas, then I'm just going to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray release.

The Seltzer-Friedberg duo continue to inflict their horrible parodies upon the earth with their newest piece of dreck, The Starving Games.

I was hoping this would not get off the ground, but unfortunately this trailer proves otherwise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c---wf6YLk

The Seltzer-Friedberg duo continue to inflict their horrible parodies upon the earth with their newest piece of dreck, The Starving Games. I was hoping this would not get off the ground, but unfortunately this trailer proves otherwise...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c---wf6YLk
... That looks like a very strange parody...

The least I can hope for is that this movie bombs at the box office. But considering the general public's intelligence when it comes to movies, I highly doubt that.

• Thumbs Up 2

The least I can hope for is that this movie bombs at the box office. But considering the general public's intelligence when it comes to movies, I highly doubt that.

Disaster Movie was, quite aptly, a bomb with critics and at the box office, but hopes that audiences had had enough of their parodies went unfounded as Vampires Suck -mostly being a parody of the notorious Twilight films/franchise- made back it's budget four times over. And considering this film is mostly a parody of The Hunger Games (of course) and will be released between the film adaptations for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, they're likely going to make a profit yet again.

Edited by Yeow the Baneful

27997-che-strano-chiamarsi-federico.jpg

Homage to Fellini earns ovation in Venice

A new biopic about late cult director Federico Fellini by his friend Ettore Scola, one of Italy's greatest living filmmakers, received a standing ovation at its premiere at the Venice Film Festival.

Italian President Giorgio Napolitano attended the showing of the film -- a patchwork of archive footage of the great director at work, interviews with people who knew him and a dramatisation of his early years.

Edited by Applejack1973

I...

I kind of want to see this. A lot.

It's got me watching some of the original cartoon. It's great. I am curious to see how well this movie turns out.

Edited by Indighost Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've heard by some people the original show (Peabody's Improbable History) is kinda eeh anyway, with trademark limited animation of the 70s, innacurate history in the writing, and a lot of (depending on your nostalgia for the show) narmy / painfully corny history-related puns, so for some the film can only go up from here.

That said, I'm not too interested in it. I'm kinda just interested in Stephen Colbert voicing the villain and the Rocky and Bullwinkle short that will be preceding the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Saw Movie in the Works

Lionsgate is now reportedly developing an eighth Saw film, based on the torture-horror series created by James Wan and Leigh Whannell. This will be the first Saw to come out since 2010's Saw 3D.

The Saw films used to dominate the Halloween movie market, with a new installment coming out almost every year. But after Saw 3D, it was Paramount's Paranormal Activity series that took over the month of October (until this year, of course).

But according to Bloody Disgusting, Lionsgate is hoping to change that by putting a new spin on the Saw franchise. The studio is in no rush to meet an October release, however, and it sounds like they're keen on waiting for a suitable take. There was chatter about a remake at one point, but insiders say they'd rather just continue the series with Saw 8.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/another-saw-movie-in-the-works

So much for Saw 3D: The Final Chapter being...well, the final chapter. GOTTA MILK MORE MONIES! It does help that Paramount has run the Paranormal Activity franchise in the ground, I've seen nothing but ridicule for the upcoming spinoff "The Marked Ones." It would be a safe bet to guess people sick of those movies will probably give Lionsgate's resurrected Franchise Zombie another chance.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Wonderful Life getting a sequel

Every time a misguided sequel is greenlit, an angel gets his wings.

O.K., let’s back-up for a second. Perhaps it’s not fair to call the just-announced It’s a Wonderful Life 2 “misguided.” Who knows, it might wind up being great! But I needed to fit the “angel gets his wings” line in somehow…

Anyway, yes, Variety is reporting that a sequel to the perennial Christmas classic is in the works called It’s A Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story. The film does not appear to have a studio attachment at the moment.

“Karolyn Grimes, who played George Bailey’s daughter ‘Zuzu’ in the original, will return for the Wonderful Life sequel as an angel who shows Bailey’s unlikeable grandson (also named George Bailey) how much better off the world would have been had he never been born,” explains Variety. I wonder how little Zuzu bought the farm between movies?

The producers are also talking to Jimmy Hawkins, who played Tommy Bailey, and Carol Coombs, who played Janie Bailey, about returning for the sequel. Which makes this feel like one of those Star Trek fan series where they trot a guest actor from TOS out of the Hollywood retirement home.

Interestingly, the original 1946 Frank Capra film, which starred Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed, was not an insta-classic by any means. It wasn’t until it became a staple of local TV broadcasts during the holiday season in the 1970s and ’80s that it truly earned its current reputation. Maybe It’s A Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story (I guess the “A” is capitalized) will get lucky too.

Hollywood continues to prove that for film executives that cannot come up or have exhausted original or unique ideas, nothing is sacred anymore, not even the classics.

Also gotta love the reverse premise here. So an angel is going to show Bailey's apparent asshat of a grandson (also named George Bailey, how genius) how the world would had been like had he not existed? And then what, get him to jump off the bridge as Bailey originally intended to do?

You know, if a subsequent report comes out that this turns out to be a rumor conjured up solely to get a rise out of people, I'd completely believe it. No executive could possibly be this desperate/stupid. Then again, we got A Christmas Story 2 last year.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Getting pretty sick of the "OMG Hollywood has no original ideas!!" nonsense. For one thing, it's nonsense, there are hundreds of original films released my major studios every year. Secondly, it ignores the fact that adaptations and remakes are as old as cinema itself. Remaking/creating a sequel for something doesn't automatically equal a lack of creativity or originality. It all depends on the final product.

As for the raping a classic stuff....meh, neer liked it's a wonderful life anyway.

Getting pretty sick of the "OMG Hollywood has no original ideas!!" nonsense

Except I never precisely said "Hollywood has no more original ideas", you generalized what I said into that stigma.

I said "Hollywood continues to prove," implying that they've been doing it for quite some time now. Also, I stated "film executives that cannot come up with or have exhausted original or unique ideas"-I never summarized Hollywood in general, or even implied that something that is just unoriginal is in of itself bad, I added "unique" to imply that something that is unoriginal can nonetheless be good if it is done in a unique fashion.

As for the possibility that a sequel/remake could be pulled off well, I probably would be less pessimistic had it not been for the revealed premise. It sounds like a bonafide rehash from the original story, and considering the only change is a reversal of what the angel sets out to do -convincing a man not to kill himself by showing how worse off (in the original) better off (in this hypothetical sequel) the world (or at least a town, to be specific) would had been like had he not existed...this is a sequel to an inspirational film, mind you!- makes it sound like the film is more of a parody twist of the original film's premise, that to be frank has been done several times for many series as Christmas specials-the Fairly OddParents and the Nostalgia Critic are two series that come to my mind that have done this exact premise.

On top of this if sequelitus and Sturgeon's Law are anything to go by, expecting a good sequel out of a entry considered a classic, especially when most works that are this end up as terrible; is akin to shooting fish in a barrel. I think this entry in TVTropes's sequelitus article does a decent job of explaining this:

Most sequels to works in the public domain are awful, or at least so inferior to the originals that fans will invariably be disappointed. One reason for this is that only the very best books survive the test of time: perhaps a sequel to Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South would be comparable to the original, but any sequel to Pride and Prejudice would pale in comparison. Another is that anyone, no matter how dreadful a writer they may be, can publish a sequel to a public domain work. That's not possible for a work under copyright, where the copyright holder can prevent the publication of any unauthorized sequel.

^ I may be wrong, but I'm very sure It's a Wonderful Life falls into the former category of being in the public domain.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzcvo0jRlKo

It's a new trailer for Muppets Most Wanted, and it's looking great!

Edited by Toby
  • Thumbs Up 3

I threw up a little, Garbage Pail Kids Movie was and looked awful the characters look like shit, literally!mellow.png

Eisner if want to bring something back bring the Wuzzles, oh yeah you would probably fuck that up! dry.png

I think the GPK movie was good and if they want to bring a movie back they should bring back the Sonic OVA Movie from 97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzcvo0jRlKo

It's a new trailer for Muppets Most Wanted, and it's looking great!

That looks like it's going to be a ton of fun. I can't wait! :D

Roman+Polanski+Venus+Fur+Photo+Call+Cann

Roman Polanski in Cannes

His comments follow similar remarks made by Jerry Lewis, who said when asked about actresses such as Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids: "I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominators. I just cannot do that."

Venus In Fur is about a director who is looking for an actress to play the lead in his play, and the original play on which it is based was a two-hander in which the mistress/slave relationship in Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's 1870 novella of the same name was inverted.

The next Hunger Games movie will be out... In 2 parts!

http://screencrush.com/hunger-games-mockingjay-everything-we-know/

Sorry I only have the link. I am on mobile, and I can't copy and paste ALL of that in a quote.

Is needlessly splitting the final part of a series into multiple films just a thing now? I'm getting more and more annoyed with it every time this happens....

Is needlessly splitting the final part of a series into multiple films just a thing now? I'm getting more and more annoyed with it every time this happens....
Thing is, that is necessary for when a movie is too long, and it's OBVIOUSLY that long to be divided. Just don't get pissed off at it just because there are two parts of it.

Thing is, that is necessary for when a movie is too long, and it's OBVIOUSLY that long to be divided. Just don't get pissed off at it just because there are two parts of it.

If the movie is too long, then make it shorter. Adaptation is all about finding the balance between what to keep and what to leave out, surely this book could be adapted into one move, even if it was three hours long, rather than two, two and a bit hour movies.....

Really though, the problem isn't that it's being split into two films, the problem is that it keeps happening. When it happened with Harry Potter most of us shrugged it off and though "oh well, that's pretty cool I guess, they'll be able to tell a bigger story". When it happpened with twilight I'm sure most of us were pretty skeptical that the fourth book needed split in two, then came the hobbit, a one hundred and fifty page childrens book split into three two hour films and now Hunger games is getting the same treatment.

Surely even the least cynical among us are starting to get the impression that this chapter splitting isn't for the sake of treating the fans right and giving their beloved novel the fullest treatment, it's a cheap way of extending the series by another chapter to line the pockets of the executive by forcing fans to buy a second cinema ticket and a second bluray when one would be adequate.

New teaser of/behind-the-scenes look at Laika's (Coraline, ParaNorman) next film "The BoxTrolls." If you can't watch it below, try watching it at Apple's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj22QU4hQSM&feature=player_embedded

Watching how they produce the film by creating and setting up their models is as fascinating as the clips of animation from the film it builds up to.

Also, here's a trailer for Sabotage. Written and directed by David Ayer's (End of Watch), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, and featuring features Sam Worthington, Olivia Williams, Terrence Howard, Joe Manganiello, and Mireille Enos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHpSdQSH0c

• 2 weeks later...

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

The film looks a bit like the Paranormal franchise crossed with Chronicle, as a kid looking through the belongings of a recently murdered woman finds himself “marked” and subsequently possessed of inexplicable powers. But that’s only the beginning of his predicament, and things don’t go so well for the guy.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/11/new-poster-for-paranormal-activity-spin.html

Don't know if this could be its own topic, but oh dang, one of my favorite places for movie reviews and podcasts, Spill.com, is going to end after December by Hollywood.com. There will be more podcasts, but at the end of the year, gone.

http://my.spill.hollywood.com/profiles/blogs/thank-you

Korey's Tweet:

https://twitter.com/Kcoolman/status/409038196841127936

Even with the joke at the end, it is still sad to see such a huge movie site go very soon with its great reviews and podcasts and the colorful cast that is behind it all. I hope Korey and crew would be able to find another site to do their thing, like Youtube or something. Kinda like ex-Loading Bar members Jason and Jeff who started Rageselect on YT and their own site: http://rageselect.com/.

Edited by AdventChild

Jerry Bruckheimer and Paramount Pictures Reach First-Look Deal, Beverly Hills Cop/Top Gun Sequels Priorities

Jerry Bruckheimer is leaving Disney and heading to Paramount Pictures, as the prolific producer has reached a three-year first-look deal for films with the latter studio, THR reports.

Bruckheimer's deal with Paramount is set to begin in April 2014, marking the end of a 20-year relationship with Disney who elected not to renew their first-look contract with the producer this year.

Bruckheimer's first projects for Paramount will include a new Beverly Hills Cop, with Eddie Murphy, as well as a Top Gun sequel, starring Tom Cruise. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol writers Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec are set to pen the Beverly Hills Cop sequel. Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop are two of the studios' biggest and earliest successes.

"Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the most creative and prolific producers in motion picture history," Paramount CEO Brad Grey said in a statement. "His signature style has attracted huge global audiences and we are thrilled to have him back in the Paramount family."

Bruckheimer ends its relationship with Disney following the release of The Lone Ranger, which was a notable box-office disappointment. However, according to THR, Disney head Alan Horn "said the breakup of their partnership was more about the type of movies he wanted to produce," which were more adult-themed than what he had been producing through the Touchstone label.

Of course, the Touchstone division no longer exits, and with Marvel, DreamWorks and Lucasfilm all contributing to its slate, the Disney film division is producing fewer films.

We will keep you updated as details on the Beverly Hills Cop and Top Gun sequels emerge.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/07/jerry-bruckheimer-and-paramount-pictures-reach-first-look-deal-beverly-hills-coptop-gun-sequels-priorities

So I guess Beverly Hills Cop IV may finally see the light of day. Hopefully it be another return to comedic form for Eddie Murphy. I heard Murphy's performance Tower Heist was good, but A Thousand Words completely destroyed what merit it restored. I'm still iffy on the idea of a Top Gun sequel, namely because of director Tony Scott's suicide. On top of that, considering Bruckheimer was partners with Paramount's Michael Bay, who together released a series of hits (Bad Boys I & II, The Rock, Armageddon), I guess we should expect the duo reuniting to produce more blockbusters.

I also see Bruckheimer's ditching of Disney and heading (back) to Paramount as a indication of the the changing times at Disney and how they view/produce (more) mature films. Their acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) looks like they will fill in the gap of Bruckheimer's era of PG-13/R films for both Disney and the now-defunct Touchstone and Hollywood labels (although Hollywood has been dead for quite some time now, Touchstone hasn't released an in-house production since 2010-the label is only used for distributing DreamWorks films).

It doesn't help that as the years went on, the Pirates films lost their luster (with the fifth film has been put on the backburner due to The Lone Ranger flopping), while Bruckheimer's company has been behind a slew of big-budgeted flops (The Sorcerer's Apprentice, G-Force, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, etc.-some of these didn't get close to breaking even), with a bunch of their other films not having an official budget estimate released (or at least not listed on Wikipedia). I guess The Lone Ranger flopping hard with critics and audiences was the last straw between what was arguably the straining relationship between Disney and Bruckheimer.

With that said, Bruckheimer does have a point about Disney not allowing to release the films he wanted to produce-his usual fare that brings in large amounts of cash are PG-13/R summer blockbuster realistic action(-adventure) films. The company's previous decade of films contains films such as Confessions of a Shopaholic (romantic comedy), G-Force (spy-fi comedy), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (fantasy adventure), and Glory Road (drama sports), with a growing trend of them being distributed by the standard Disney label itself as the Touchstone and Hollywood labels were phased out.