Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

article-2521166-19FE90DD00000578-223_634

Jupiter Ascending 2014

Kunis plays Jupiter Jones, a Russian toilet cleaner whose convinced her life will never amount to anything important on a grand scale.

Jupiter is informed that her DNA means that she is biologically destined to usurp the formidable Queen of the Universe, meaning just being alive is a privilege some don't want her to have.

Images of intense fires, explosions and racing spacecrafts set in a modernistic landscape flash in rapid fire, ending on a passionate kiss between Kunis and Tatum.

Warner Bros. have officially released the teaser for Christopher Nolan's upcoming film "Interstellar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827FNDpQWrQ

If you're too cool for school and just want to know what it's about without any of those pesky feelings:

A group of astronauts take space travel to a new level when they discover a navigable worm hole and hop into it. It is apparently based on a treatment in part authored by theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, pointing to a potential Inception-esque mindscrew of a film.

00026261_spies-glistrup_plakat-dk_360.jp

Spies & Glistrup

Things don't go so well for Mogens Glistrup in the end, but the story of his friendship with travel-agency mogul Simon Spies is often good fun; it'll be a bit involved for many arthouse patrons, but those with a taste for droll Danish misbehavior will embrace it.

tarok-538x250.jpg

Tarok

Even before a new movie featuring the trotter Tarok and his owners and breeders, the Laursen family, has hit the screen, Tarok is the talk of the town.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/30/justin-bieber-believe-bombs_n_4518452.html

Justin Bieber's 'Believe' Flopped At The Box Office

Posted: 12/30/2013 8:27 am EST  |  Updated: 12/30/2013 8:27 am EST

gplus-32.png
n-JUSTIN-BIEBER-large570.jpg
Get Entertainment Newsletters:

Maybe Justin Bieber should have retired after all. Bieber's new documentary, "Justin Bieber's Believe," was a complete flop at the box office over the Christmas holiday, earning just $4.2 million total during its first five days of release. From Friday to Sunday, "Believe" grossed just $2.01 million, putting the doc in 14th place behind even the ignominious debuts of "Grudge Match," "Walking with Dinosaurs" and "47 Ronin."

How bad is that number for the 19-year-old singer? Consider that 2011's "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" opened with $29.5 million in first weekend ticket sales, and finished its run with $73 million in North American grosses. According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Believe" might not even reach $10 million total during its theatrical lifespan.

One day before the release of "Believe," on Christmas Eve, Justin Bieber announced on Twitter that he was "officially retiring." He wasn't: less than an hour after posting that missive to the social media platform, Bieber disavowed his previous statement and told fans that he was "never leaving" because "being a Belieber is a lifestyle."

Days later, Allison Kaye, GM of Scooter Braun Projects, released the following statement to the Wall Street Journal in an effort clarify what Bieber was trying to accomplish:

Justin felt that this was the best way to respond to the latest in a long line of inaccurate or wildly exaggerated media reports about him. He chose to channel his frustration into playing along with this baseless rumor and even used “beloved” to tip off his core fans that it wasn’t real. But within 20 minutes, Justin realized that fans were confused by the media reports and clarified that he was kidding. This wasn’t a planned stunt, it was just another day in the life of living under the microscope. Justin loves his fans and understands that this scrutiny comes along with his success and the interest in him from fans and media.

If only Bieber's fans loved him enough to see "Believe."

I don't know why, but this news makes me uber happy. Could his reign finally be coming to an end?rolleyes.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/30/justin-bieber-believe-bombs_n_4518452.html

I don't know why, but this news makes me uber happy. Could his reign finally be coming to an end?rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure this is but the first sign that Bieber's in his last few 15 minutes of fame...but considering the outlandish things he's done this year, 2012 may be his first of his 15 years of bad publicity.

• 2 weeks later...

They're still making Paranormal activity movies?

They just released a spinoff (PA: The Marked Ones) and have an official "fifth" entry coming in October this year.

To The Marked Ones's credit, according to critics it's somewhat better than PA4.

Anything was going to be better than PA4. That film adds absolutely nothing to the lore, which is the ultimate reason I can see people continuing to watch these films. There's no purpose to it; it's just a shitload of supernatural shit happening because Katie needed something to do that day, I guess.

As a contributor to the VM Kickstarter campaign, I've gotta say that I'm really excited about this film. I should go and buy the DVDs or Blu-Rays of the TV show and give them a viewing before this hits.

Anything was going to be better than PA4. That film adds absolutely nothing to the lore, which is the ultimate reason I can see people continuing to watch these films. There's no purpose to it; it's just a shitload of supernatural shit happening because Katie needed something to do that day, I guess.

Ah ah ah, Nepenthe, you forgot the real purpose it was made.

To make more money! : D

• Thumbs Up 1

Really want to go see the LEGO movie next month, but I need to find a cinema nearby that does English screenings.

Looks amazing though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Another Planes movie. Why am I not surprised? The first one was garbage, sure, but so was Cars 2, and that still didn't stop them from making a terrible, terrible spin off.

Although Cars 2 still made boatloads of money (in terms of film gross and merch) despite being crap, I assume Disney did not want to further exploit the Cars franchise for profit at the expense of further damaging Pixar's reputation, presumably by ordering Pixar to make a third Cars film (which I doubt will come to fruition after Cars 2 became a critical disappointment). So they went for the safer alternative by making a spinoff related to the Cars franchise that wasn't from Pixar themselves (but sadly I don't think many people realize(d) this, as DisneyToon's visual artstyle for Planes looks strikingly similar to Pixar's visual artstyle for Cars).

As for Planes 2, I think it was announced around the same time the first Planes was moved from a DTV release to a theatrical release, arguably in anticipation of the box-office gross the first film would had made.

Although Cars 2 still made boatloads of money (in terms of film gross and merch) despite being crap, I assume Disney did not want to further exploit the Cars franchise for profit at the expense of further damaging Pixar's reputation, presumably by ordering Pixar to make a third Cars film (which I doubt will come to fruition after Cars 2 became a critical disappointment). So they went for the safer alternative by making a spinoff related to the Cars franchise that wasn't from Pixar themselves (but sadly I don't think many people realize(d) this, as DisneyToon's visual artstyle for Planes looks strikingly similar to Pixar's visual artstyle for Cars).

As for Planes 2, I think it was announced around the same time the first Planes was moved from a DTV release to a theatrical release, arguably in anticipation of the box-office gross the first film would had made.

Admittedly, since Pixar is Disney owned, I tend to lump them together in certain instances. I'm aware that Cars 2 was Disney-demanded, and that Planes was handled by another group entirely.  I was also guilty of discouraging family members from bringing their kids to the first entry in this series, simply due to it's groan-inducing lack of quality, which I'll likely be doing again for this sequel. That money and time would be much better spent at a viewing of Frozen.

Admittedly, since Pixar is Disney owned, I tend to lump them together in certain instances. I'm aware that Cars 2 was Disney-demanded, and that Planes was handled by another group entirely.  I was also guilty of discouraging family members from bringing their kids to the first entry in this series, simply due to it's groan-inducing lack of quality, which I'll likely be doing again for this sequel. That money and time would be much better spent at a viewing of Frozen.

You consider yourself "guilty" for preventing your family to see the year's most blatant merchandise driven and most lowest common denominator-appealing film?

I'd consider you a blessing to your family, of sorts. :v

• Thumbs Up 2

You do know Planes is primarily targeted at kids right?

Didn't hear people complaining when Disney released all those Winnie The Pooh Movies in the early 2000's. Is it really that big of a deal?  

• Thumbs Up 2

You do know Planes is primarily targeted at kids right?

Didn't hear people complaining when Disney released all those Winnie The Pooh Movies in the early 2000's. Is it really that big of a deal?  

Excusing any form of media for being of poor quality solely because "it's for children" is a terrible excuse, period. A Bug's Life is predominatly aimed for kids and although it's not talked about or favored much in the grand scheme of things compared to other Pixar films, it's still miles better than what Planes did.

Also, people didn't complain about the early 2000s Winnie the Pooh movies, presumably because those films also had genuine effort put into them as well. Those films took pre-existing Pooh characters and developed stories around them while still being faithful in tone and presentation to the original featurettes/Disney film, and although they are not box-office hits or amazing films, they are surprisingly a lot better than what one would expect.

Even Pixar with Cars 2 took the pre-existing relationship with McQueen and Mater and continued building it while adding a espionage angle to the story to keep things fresh-clearly it didn't pay off, but at least you could see some sort of effort put into there.

Planes just took the standard "underdog rises against the odds" story and ran with it without doing anything creative or unique with it whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 8

Excusing any media for being of poor quality solely because "it's for children" is a terrible excuse, period. A Bug's Life is predominatly aimed for kids and although it's not talked about or favored much in the grand scheme of things compared to other Pixar films, it's still miles better than what Planes did.

Also, people didn't complain about the early 2000s Winnie the Pooh movies, presumably because those films also had genuine effort put into them as well. Those films took pre-existing Pooh characters and developed stories around them while still being faithful in tone and presentation to the original featurettes/Disney film, and although they are not box-office hits or amazing films, they are surprisingly a lot better than what one would expect.

Even Pixar with Cars 2 took the pre-existing relationship with McQueen and Mater and continued building it while adding a espionage angle to the story to keep things fresh-clearly it didn't pay off, but at least you could see some sort of effort put into there.

Planes just took the standard "underdog rises against the odds" story and ran with it without doing anything creative or unique with it whatsoever.

I still don't know why you should care so strongly about it then. Especially when ts obvious you dislike the franchise. I thought Cars 2 was okay and I didn't think Planes was that bad having watched it I knew what to expect before I saw it, its primarily aimed for kids who like the Cars franchise and any adults who do (which there are) is a bonus. I've seen much worse films that fall into this category. They weren't necessary thinking of hardcore animation fans who enjoy their bigger budget feature length films.

As for quality I personally didn't find lower than the quality of those Pooh movies or some of Disney lesser Direct to video sequels.

It is what it is.

Cars 2 did well with audiences even if it didn't get universal praise from critics. I personally couldn't give a rat arse about critics. Especially film ones. Compared to other Pixar films yeah its mediocre but I honestly don't think it as terrible people continue to make it out to be. Every company makes some average films even Pixar.

I still don't know why you should care so strongly about it then.

I care strongly about because I know DisneyToon Studios could have done (and can do) so much better than what we got.

I care strongly about because I know DisneyToon Studios could have done (and can do) so much better than what we got.

Oh come on, its obvious you don't like the Cars franchise. So what were you expecting?