Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Oh come on, its obvious you don't like the Cars franchise.

Except I actually do. I'm a fan of the first one, I don't think it's terrible or even mediocre as some people say it is. And I found the second film to be average at worst, despite feeling that it's overall conception was unnecessary.

l-equipe-du-film-la-vie-d-adele_350706_5

New York cinema criticised for letting teens view Blue is the Warmest Colour

Pressure group complains after New York's IFC Center flouts the film's NC-17 rating, saying the explicit drama is suitable for 'mature, inquiring teenagers'

Bildschirmfoto-2013-07-04-um-13.14.01-e1

The Great Beauty

Paulo Sorrentino's magnificent return to form sees him reteam with Toni Servillo for a lush, classical tale of middle-age hedonism and lost love

This year's Oscar nominations (which will air on March 2nd) have been announced! Copypasta'd from CNN:

Best picture
"12 Years a Slave"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"
"Captain Phillips"
"Her"
"American Hustle"
"Gravity"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"Nebraska"
"Philomena"

Best director
Steve McQueen -- "12 Years a Slave"
David O. Russell -- "American Hustle"
Alfonso Cuaron -- "Gravity"
Alexander Payne -- "Nebraska"
Martin Scorsese -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best actor
Bruce Dern -- "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor -- "12 Years a Slave"
Matthew McConaughey -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Leonardo DiCaprio -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Christian Bale -- "American Hustle"

Best actress
Amy Adams -- "American Hustle"
Cate Blanchett -- "Blue Jasmine"
Judi Dench -- "Philomena"
Sandra Bullock -- "Gravity"
Meryl Streep -- "August: Osage County"

Best supporting actor
Barkhad Abdi -- "Captain Phillips"
Bradley Cooper -- "American Hustle"
Jonah Hill -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Jared Leto -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Michael Fassbender -- "12 Years a Slave"

Best supporting actress
Jennifer Lawrence -- "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o -- "12 Years a Slave"
June Squibb -- "Nebraska"
Julia Roberts -- "August: Osage County"
Sally Hawkins -- "Blue Jasmine"

Best original screenplay

"American Hustle" -- David O. Russell and Eric Warren Singer
"Blue Jasmine" -- Woody Allen
"Her" -- Spike Jonze
"Nebraska" -- Bob Nelson
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack

Best adapted screenplay
"12 Years a Slave" -- John Ridley
"Before Midnight" -- Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater
"The Wolf of Wall Street" -- Terence Winter
"Captain Phillips" -- Billy Ray
"Philomena" -- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope

Best animated feature
"The Wind Rises"
"Frozen"
"Despicable Me 2"
"Ernest & Celestine"
"The Croods"

Best foreign feature
"The Hunt" (Denmark)
"The Broken Circle Breakdown" (Belgium)
"The Great Beauty" (Italy)
"Omar" (Palestinian territories)
"The Missing Picture" (Cambodia)

Best documentary feature
"The Act of Killing"
"20 Feet From Stardom"
"The Square"
"Cutie and the Boxer"
"Dirty Wars"

Best music (original song)
"Frozen": "Let it Go" -- Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom": "Ordinary Love" -- U2, Paul Hewson
"Her": "The Moon Song" -- Karen O, Spike Jonze
"Despicable Me 2": "Happy" -- Pharrell Williams
"Alone Yet Not Alone": "Alone Yet Not Alone" -- Bruce Broughton, Dennis Spiegel

Best music (original score)
"Gravity" -- Steven Price
"Philomena" -- Alexandre Desplat
"The Book Thief" -- John Williams
"Saving Mr. Banks" -- Thomas Newman
"Her" -- William Butler and Owen Pallett

Best cinematography
"Gravity" -- Emmanuel Lubezki
"Inside Llewyn Davis" -- Bruno Delbonnel
"Nebraska" -- Phedon Papamichael
"Prisoners" -- Roger Deakins
"The Grandmaster" -- Phillippe Le Sourd

Best costume design
"The Great Gatsby" -- Catherine Martin
"12 Years a Slave" -- Patricia Norris
"The Grandmaster" -- William Chang Suk Ping
"American Hustle" -- Michael Wilkinson
"The Invisible Woman" -- Michael O'Connor

Best documentary feature
"The Act of Killing"
"20 Feet From Stardom"
"The Square"
"Cutie and the Boxer"
"Dirty Wars"

Best film editing
"Gravity" -- Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Sanger
"12 Years a Slave"-- Joe Walker
"Captain Phillips" -- Christopher Rouse
"American Hustle" -- Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa

Best makeup and hairstyling
"The Lone Ranger" -- Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny
"Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" -- Stephen Prouty
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Best production design
"12 Years a Slave" -- Adam Stockhausen and Alice Baker
"The Great Gatsby" -- Catherine Martin and Beverley Dunn
"American Hustle" -- Judy Becker and Heather Loeffler
"Gravity" -- Andy Nicholson, Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard
"Her" -- K.K. Barrett and Gene Serdena

Best visual effects
"Gravity"
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
"Star Trek Into Darkness"
"Iron Man 3"
"The Lone Ranger"

Best sound mixing
"Gravity"
"Captain Phillips"
"Lone Survivor"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"

Best sound editing
"Gravity"
"All Is Lost"
"Captain Phillips"
"Lone Survivor"

Best short film, live action
"Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)"
"Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)"
"Helium"
"Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)"
"The Voorman Problem"

Best short film, animated
"Feral"
"Get a Horse!"
"Mr. Hublot"
"Possessions"
"Room on the Broom"

Best documentary short
"CaveDigger"
"Facing Fear"
"Karama Has No Walls"
"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life"
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall"

Gravity and American Hustle are the clear Academy favorites, as they each got ten nominations. 12 Years A Slave is not far behind with nine nominations. An interesting note-compared to past years, only nine films got nominated for Best Picture compared to the usual ten since 2009. I'm sure Gravity will collect most if not all of the technical/production achievement awards, Best Visuals is more or less guaranteed. On a slightly unrelated note, it's very amusing to see the likes of Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa get an Oscar nomination for best makeup and hairstyling, at least in my opinion.

Monsters University didn't make the cut this year, so Frozen has the opportunity to win WDAS it's first Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. I would say Frozen has some competition from The Wind Rises as it is Hayao Miyazaki's (supposedly) final film he directed prior to his retirement, but reports of him moving out of retirement (again) might change that. Frozen's Let It Go seems to be very popular, so I'm sure fans of Frozen will be happy to know that it got a nomination for Best Original Song.

Tom Hanks, Oprah Winfrey, and Robert Redford are listed as "snubbed" by CNN. I don't know about the latter two performances, but I do remember Hanks getting lots of praise for his performance as the title character in Captain Phillips. Speaking of "snubs," I won't be surprised if Leonardo Dicaprio doesn't win Best Actor again this year, though that clearly hasn't stopped him from trying.

funny-picture-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar.jp

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm rooting for Frozen to win Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song.

And call me crazy, but I'm hoping The Great Gatsby walks home with at least Best Costume Design.

I'm rooting for Frozen to win Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song.

And call me crazy, but I'm hoping The Great Gatsby walks home with at least Best Costume Design.

Consider me crazy then too, I thought that film had great costume design as well. Excellent if unnecessary / over-the-top (3D) visuals and scenery as well.

Kinda sad The Secret Life of Walter Mitty didnt get nominated for anything, it was a great movie, and one of those life affirming ones as well

I'm rooting for Frozen to win Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song as well, but I still have to see The Wind Rises when Disney *(under Touchstone Pictures, anyway) releases it here in North America on Feburary 28th. Gravity will definitely be the one to nab all the technical fields, to no surprise, film looked downright beautiful, photorealistic, even. 

I'm very disappointed MU got snubbed out of the Best Animated Feature race, especially in the likes of Despicable Me 2 (which I found disappointing but enjoyable, and I liked the first a lot) and The Croods, which I however thought was surprisingly rather good, but it ain't over MU. The Blue Umbrella also got snubbed, though it was visually gorgeous and a bit cute, it's on the lower end of Pixar shorts for me. Here's to Get a Horse winning Best Animated Short!

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I want Leo to finally take home his Oscar, he won't be able to win it against Chiwetel Ejiofor (at least, hopefully). His performance in that movie was incredible. I'm sad to see Catching Fire didn't get nominated for anything either, not even for adapted screenplay. Sigh. 

Rush was snubbed. Totally snubbed.

Not only was it one of the best films I saw in 2013 but Daniel Bruhl, who played Niki Lauda, should've at least been nominated for best supporting actor! I think the only reason why it wasn't nominated is because Americans don't care about F1. If it was baseball or boxing it would have been nominated tenfold!

*sigh* Anyway, rant over. It's good to see Frozen, Let it Go and Get a Horse nominated in their categories (no Monster's University though? harsh). Even though The Wind Rises could possibly win the Oscar, it seems Miyazaki might not be retiring after all and that could change the outcome. Who knows?

And Let it Go better win Best Song cos if it goes to the Mandela one again I'm gonna be pissed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding stuff about snubs, I'm personally not too bothered about MU not getting nominated (probably because I didn't think Brave should had won last year :U), but I'm surprised Man of Steel didn't get a nomination. Say what you will about the film itself, but the visual effects for it -the fight scenes, Krypton, the spaceship- were some really stellar stuff. Ditto for Pacific Rim not getting a nomination, though I'm sure Gravity would have won the "Best VFX" category anyway. Though I'm happy to see Star Trek Into Darkness get a nomination for that category.

---

As the Oscars approach, so does it's antithesis-the Golden Raspberry Awards to "honor" cinema's worst in 2013 (which will air on the traditional "Oscar Eve"-that is, the night before the Oscars, March 1st), who announced their nominees a day before the Oscars were revealed. Copypasta'd from Deadline:

WORST PICTURE
After Earth
Grown Ups 2
The Lone Ranger
A Madea Christmas
Movie 43

WORST ACTOR
Johnny Depp: The Lone Ranger
Ashton Kutcher: Jobs
Adam Sandler: Grown Ups 2
Jaden Smith: After Earth
Sylvester Stallone: Bullet To The Head, Escape Plan, Grudge Match

WORST ACTRESS
Halle Berry: Movie 43, The Call
Selena Gomez: Getaway
Lindsay Lohan: The Canyons
Tyler Perry: A Madea Christmas
Naomi Watts: Diana, Movie 43

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lady Gaga: Machete Kills
Salma Hayek: Grown Ups 2
Katherine Heigl: The Big Wedding
Kim Kardashian: Tyler Perry’s Temptation
Lindsay Lohan: In-App-Propriate Comedy, Scary Movie 5

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Chris Brown: Battle Of The Year
Larry the Cable Guy: A Madea Christmas
Taylor Lautner: Grown Ups 2
Will Smith: After Earth
Nick Swardson: A Haunted House, Grown Ups 2

WORST DIRECTOR
The 13 People Who Directed Movie 43
Dennis Dugan: Grown Ups 2
Tyler Perry: A Madea Christmas, Temptation
M. Night Shyamalan: After Earth
Gore Verbinski: The Lone Ranger

WORST SCREEN COMBO
The Entire Cast of Groan-Ups, Too
The Entire Cast of Movie 43
Lindsay Lohan & Charlie Sheen: Scary Movie 5
Tyler Perry & EITHER Larry the Cable Guy OR That Worn-Out Wig & Dress: A Madea Christmas
Jaden Smith & Will Smith on Planet Nepotism: After Earth

WORST SCREENPLAY
After Earth: Screenplay by Gary Whitta and M. Night Shyamalan, Story by Will Smith
Grown Ups 2: Written by Fred Wolfe & Adam Sandler & Tim Herlihy
The Lone Ranger: Screen Story & Screenplay by Ted Elliott, Justin Haythe & Terry Rosso
A Madea Christmas: Written by Tyler Perry
Movie 43: Written by 19 “Screenwriters”

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Grown Ups 2
Hangover III
The Lone Ranger
Scary Movie 5
Smurfs 2

Adam Sandler continues his streak as a Razzie "favorite", as Grown Ups 2 has received nine Razzie nominations. The Lone Ranger, After Earth, and A Madea Christmas all tie second place in terms of nominations, as each hold six nominations. Sylvester Stallone in particular has also received his 31st Razzie nomination for his performances in the three films he starred in last year-Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan, and Grudge Match.

Personally I'm disappointed that Planes did not get any Razzie nominations, though I don't disagree with the Grown Up 2, Smurfs 2, and In-APP-propriate Comedy nominations. It seems as if Sandler and HappyMadison aren't really trying much anymore to have quality comedic writing. I also love all of the cheeky jabs they've done with the nominees: "Groan Ups Too" "the 19 'screenwriters' of Movie 43" "Tyler Perry & EITHER Larry the Cable Guy OR That Worn-Out Wig & Dress" "Jaden Smith & Will Smith on Planet Nepotism" laugh.png

Personally I'm disappointed that Planes got a Razzie nominations,

Once again was it that bad to warrant a place? When comes to the Razzies I don't think they had man-children like us in mind. If Planes really deserves to be on that list then so does Equestria Girls as they had the same purpose only Planes got a wider release. 

Sometimes I don't agree with their choices but this year yeah I think they are on the money. 

I caught some of Movie 43 the other day. Yeah...I really, really hope it ends up "winning" worst picture.

WORST ACTRESS

Halle Berry: Movie 43, The Call

Selena Gomez: Getaway

Lindsay Lohan: The Canyons

Tyler Perry: A Madea Christmas

Naomi Watts: Diana, Movie 43

Come again???blink.png

Come again???blink.png

Tyler Perry being nominated for a Razzie because of playing Madea isn't anything new.

Tyler Perry being nominated for a Razzie because of playing Madea isn't anything new.

Wasn't talking about that. I was referring to the fact that he's filed under "Actress", hence my underlining both ' Actress ' and his name.

Wasn't talking about that. I was referring to the fact that he's filed under "Actress", hence my underlining both ' Actress ' and his name.

Eh, maybe they were joking. Heck, if I remember correctly they did the same with Adam Sandler in "Jack and Jill".

muppets-thumbnail.jpg

Muppets Most wanted

Louise Gold returns to the Muppet cast after a fifteen-year absence, to bring back her character Annie Sue after an absence nearly twice as long.

the-missing-picture-e1387586261749.jpg

The Missing Picture

Panh's desire to document this period was problematized by the fact that all the extant visual material is sheer Khmer Rouge propaganda. His solution to this paucity of evidence was to visualize events through the use of clay figurines inhabiting detailed dioramas.

You cannot only provide cinema.  There is cinema now in Cambodia – in Phnom Penh, you have at least 15 or 16 screens.  But you have no Cambodian films, or very few.

QuietOnesOneSheetV2.jpg

The Quiet Ones

The Hammer Films production features the Hunger Games actor as a university student in 1974 who participates in a creepy experiment to turn a disturbed young woman (Olivia Cooke) into a poltergeist. As you’d predict, it all goes terribly awry. Also as you’d predict, the film purports to be based on a true story

Only less than a month until The LEGO Movie comes out in here in France! It's about two weeks until the NA release, and three weeks until the UK release. This trailer is self explanatory.

• Thumbs Up 2

mockingjay-poster_649x1000.jpg?w=649&h=1

They are doing the final book 'Mockingjay' in the Hunger Games trilogy over two films. Part one will be out in November 2014. 

FUUUUUUUCCCCCCK. I am really getting sick of books being split into two films when the book isn't long enough to warrant this. I could understand the final Harry Potter book being split over two films because it's like 700 pages long. Doing two films for the final book in the Twilight saga was pushing it, because whilst that book is over 700 pages long, the story (which is rather weak) can be told comfortably in only a few hours. Stretching the Hobbit over three films was also unnecessary.

Mockingjay - which is a good read - doesn't even reach 400 pages. There is no way it warrants two films. It's just an excuse to make more money of course. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Though it's stupid these companies keep splitting these books up (especially in the cases of Mockingjay and The Hobbit) they won't stop because it does bring the money in without a doubt. Ugh.

Speaking of movies, I've been going crazy about this one recently:

her-movie-poster-560x315.jpg

Seriously a wonderful movie you should all check out. If you've seen the statuses you might already know just how much I loved seeing it, but honestly... some incredible acting, gorgeous soundtrack, beautiful cinematography, and a thoughtful, engaging, heart warming story you just melt into and want to see develop more and more. So, so good.