Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

.....You know, I'm happy that "La Grande Bellezza" won the Oscar for Best Foreign Feature but, good Jesus, would it have killed Sorrentino to speak a more appropriate English just this once?  You know, the Oscars are something watched worldwide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inajdvg20CM

Also, Maradona? Seriously?

And as expected, Leo didn't win another Oscar this year. Better luck next time, eh?

tumblr_inline_myl1qvol6L1ri8stc.png

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a crime that Leo hasn't won an oscar?......

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a crime that Leo hasn't won an oscar?......

Maybe, maybe not. He was fantastic in Django Unchained, heard he was great in The Wolf of Wall Street, and some say his performances in The Departed and Blood Diamond is some of his best work.

It's not a crime. It's an outright sin.

I'm satisfied with La Grande Belleza winning the Oscar for Best Foreign Feature too.

Nah, Leo's African accent in Blood Diamond was iffy. I think his best role was playing Howard Hughes in The Aviator. It was incredible and I still can't believe he didn't win an Oscar for it.

Either way though, Leo is great in most of his roles and he's long overdue for an Oscar. I hope it's not a situation like poor Christopher Plummer who didn't get an Oscar until much, much later in his career (he's in his 80's!).

Anyways, I'm quite pleased with the Oscar results! I've watched only two of the Best Picture noms which were Gravity and 12 Years a Slave and I can honestly say the latter deserved it much more so I'm glad it won. Hard to watch, but very moving and beautifully made. Fantastic acting too, especially from Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o who rightfully won best supporting actress over Jennifer bloody Lawrence. And of course I was jumping for joy when Disney won an Oscar for best animated film (FINALLY) and even best song which I didn't expect at all.

So yeah, 'twas a great year for Oscars! Well, besides Rush not getting a single nomination.

One thing really bothers me about 12 Years A Slave:

It IS called 12 Years A Slave, right? Well, it sure as hell didn't look or feel like 12 years to me.

There wasn't any "5 years later" or anything like that, the characters didn't age at all physically during that time (except Northup's family at the end, but it was quite jarring seeing that his family aged but he hadn't).

If anything, it felt like 1-3 years tops. Quite a big problem considering the film's title.

Nah, Leo's African accent in Blood Diamond was iffy. I think his best role was playing Howard Hughes in The Aviator. It was incredible and I still can't believe he didn't win an Oscar for it.

Either way though, Leo is great in most of his roles and he's long overdue for an Oscar. I hope it's not a situation like poor Christopher Plummer who didn't get an Oscar until much, much later in his career (he's in his 80's!).

Anyways, I'm quite pleased with the Oscar results! I've watched only two of the Best Picture noms which were Gravity and 12 Years a Slave and I can honestly say the latter deserved it much more so I'm glad it won. Hard to watch, but very moving and beautifully made. Fantastic acting too, especially from Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o who rightfully won best supporting actress over Jennifer bloody Lawrence. And of course I was jumping for joy when Disney won an Oscar for best animated film (FINALLY) and even best song which I didn't expect at all.

So yeah, 'twas a great year for Oscars! Well, besides Rush not getting a single nomination.

What's wrong with Jennifer Lawarence? I agree that Lupita rightfully deserved it over her, but Jennifer is actually one of the few good role models.

article-2545277-1AEC8ED700000578-228_634

Oculus

Releases:

April 11, 2014

Tim was convicted of the crime, and so Kaylie seeks to exonerate him by proving that the real killer was a malevolent supernatural force lurking inside a mirror in their house.

DekadaCinemanila.jpg

Cinemanila bulol

It is a deity whose presence ensures good harvest. The Cinemanila International Film Festival invokes the bulol as a blessing towards the Filipino film industry in general – as a prayer towards good harvest, a plentiful bounty of excellent Filipino films.

What's wrong with Jennifer Lawarence? I agree that Lupita rightfully deserved it over her, but Jennifer is actually one of the few good role models.

Eh she's slightly overrated. I saw some clips of her performance in American Hustle and I felt like she was overacting in that role too, you know shouting the whole time.

Çölçü (Steppe man)

The film was selected as the Azerbaijani entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards

One steppe man is living far from the cities closely communicating with the nature. His father teaches him all wisdom of the steppe life. After his father death he met with the young woman who came from the village.

124j2pk.jpg

First trailer for Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqRRF5y94uE&feature=player_embedded

Haven't seen the first but after discovering noir films in my film class last year, I'd like to see it, especially to fully appreciate it's distinct visual style and cinematography.

Academy members voted for 12 Years A Slave WITHOUT watching it.

"Too upsetting" was their reason. What the hell?? Frozen suffered from this too by being voted in because "the other entries weren't worth watching".

Yet more proof that the oscars are just a joke, I've no idea why we still have the idea that they're relevant....

Academy members voted for 12 Years A Slave WITHOUT watching it.

"Too upsetting" was their reason. What the hell?? Frozen suffered from this too by being voted in because "the other entries weren't worth watching".

After the report on how Academy voters were apathetic to the Best Animated Feature nominees, I'm not surprised whatsoever. I hope more reports like this continue to trickle down for both Oscars of old and of new and garner more attention to how the Academy handles the event.

Even though 12 Years a Slave IMO deserved Best Picture over Gravity (yes I have seen both movies), it's unbelievable to know that it's not only happening with the animated category, but even Best Picture nominees! It's like the Academy is too lazy to even watch half of them. Not to mention it's mostly all about politics, though it has been like that for many years. That's why Brokeback Mountain lost to Crash and why Argo won last year.

I remember that Divergent trailer before I've watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Yes, I'm a Hunger Games fan), and after watching Catching Fire, I've kept noticing that the Divergent trailer has some reminder to The Hunger Games Triology.

Weeks later towards the Super Bowl, I found some song from a Bud Light Platnium ad, Found the song (I found it out in seconds, since the song name was shown) and then weeks later again, it was on that soundtrack on Divergent. IDK how some things came into another.

245mzbm.jpg

“The Grandmaster,” about the life of martial-arts legend Ip Man starring Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, is Mr. Wong’s first film to receive Oscar nominations — as unlikely as that might seem for one of Asia’s most prominent filmmakers.

We got our first look at how the Peanuts gang will look in Fox/Blue Sky's CG Peanuts film (coming 2015) with these two pics of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, posted in a USA Today interview with film producer (and son of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz) Craig Schulz.

1395087914000-PEANUTS-MOV-JY-3248--62826

1395088144000-FLAG-PEANUTS-MOV-JY-3249--

A lot better than I expected, they've done a good job translating the look of the comic strip in CGI.

We got our first look at how the Peanuts gang will look in Fox/Blue Sky's CG Peanuts film (coming 2015) with these two pics of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, posted in a USA Today interview with film producer (and son of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz) Craig Schulz.

1395087914000-PEANUTS-MOV-JY-3248--62826

1395088144000-FLAG-PEANUTS-MOV-JY-3249--

A lot better than I expected, they've done a good job translating the look of the comic strip in CGI.

...well that looks lovely

the-monkey-king-2014-22.jpg

Monkey King a box office smash

The second month of the year is not just February; its the start of awards for of all kinds of movie, from the Oscars to the Razzies, and Chinese film is already doing very well indeed. But if you want to know about the newest  movies, and how well they are doing, you ought to check out  the box office!

deliver-us-from-evil_nws2.png

Deliver Us From Evil Synopsis

In Deliver Us From Evil, New York police officer Ralph Sarchie (Eric Bana), struggling with his own personal issues, begins investigating a series of disturbing and inexplicable crimes.

We got our first look at how the Peanuts gang will look in Fox/Blue Sky's CG Peanuts film (coming 2015)

I'm looking forward to that.

Considering that Dan Akyroyd said Ghostbusters: The Video Game may as well be the canonical third film, they should come up with a different title if they're still going to make a new Ghostbusters film, especially if it's going to be a reboot of the series. It's not going to be right if they call it a sequel to the original two Ghostbusters films despite having only half of the original cast alive and participating.

• 2 weeks later...

MV5BMjMxMjUwMTU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTI4

Alien Abduction

The film’s synopsis simply describes, “A vacationing family encounters an alien threat and is based on the real-life Brown Mountain Lights phenomenon.” The Brown Mountain Lights are, indeed, a very real phenomenon of mysterious lights that have been reported near Brown Mountain in North Carolina for at least a century.

THE-SIGNAL.jpg

The Signal

That decision leads to a sequence right out of “Blair Witch,” or at least “Catfish,” in which the three find themselves inside an eerie abandoned house at night and the story’s sci-fi twists really start to escalate.

Aardman's Shaun the Sheep's getting a movie!

Starting out as a side character in the Wallace and Gromit short A Close Shave (1995), Shaun the Sheep became an unlikely franchise star. After getting his own line of merchandise and a spin-off television series (which was popular enough to spawn its own spin-off, Timmy Time) Shaun is set to become the subject of Aardman’s next feature in spring 2015. The film currently doesn’t appear to have a U.S. distributor.

The stop motion theatrical feature will be directed by Mark Burton and Richard Starzak, based on their screenplay. Curiously, Starzak appears to be the pseudonym of Richard Goleszowski, who created both Rex the Runt and the Shaun the Sheep series. When the Shaun the Sheep feature was first announced in 2011, Goleszowski said his goal was “to make a modern day silent movie starring Shaun,” in the spirit of a Buster Keaton film. The new teaser released today follows the Pixar tradition of being a self-contained short rather than showing footage from the film:

“When Shaun decides to take the day off and have some fun, he gets a little more action than he baa-rgained for! Shaun’s mischief accidentally causes the Farmer to be taken away from the farm, so it’s up to Shaun and the flock to travel to the Big City to rescue him. Will Shaun find the Farmer in the strange and unfamiliar world of the City before he’s lost forever?”

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/teaser-trailer-for-aardmans-shaun-the-sheep-movie-98114.html

And here's the teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQHsXT_fxb4

I was initially surprised that Shaun didn't have Sony Pictures already on board as a US distributor from the start, considering they have distributed for Aardman Arthur Christmas and The Pirates! for them in the past years. But it turns out that Aardman had a three year deal with the company that it made in 2007 and then renewed in 2010, but not 2013.

Though Shaun's animated TV series of the same name, to my knowledge, has only seen US distribution through DVD releases, thus meaning this film would most likely be released direct-to-video, it nonetheless would be nice to see the movie get a theatrical release in that country.

Seeing it's being distributed by StudioCanal in the UK, I assume StudioCanal would distribute the film through Universal Pictures/Focus Features (the latter of which in the US distributes American stop-motion studio Laika's animated films) if Shaun got a US theatrical release.