Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

I was kind of surprised by how amazing Edge of Tomorrow was. It was like Groundhog Day meets Independence Day. The time loop idea is nothing new, but it was so well executed here. The characters were well written and well performed, the special effects were great, the humor was strong and the use of the central conceit made the action and character interactions so much more interesting.

nicolas-cage-in-left-behind-POSTER.jpg

Nicolas Cage faces God's wrath in the trailer for 'Left Behind'

The trailer hews close to a generic disaster movie template, but hopefully we won't have to wait until the October 3rd release date for the mind-controlling Antichrist, sinister global government, and invincible Biblical prophets.

Trailer and another poster:

left-behind.jpg

Perspective? What's that?

This film looks so bad, just the whole concept of it... At the very least, however, it does look like one of those amazing Cage movies that will supply endless gifs. Hell, the posters alone are incredible.

051208_nbeach_400X400.jpg

Party Guide to the Cannes Film Festival

During the Film Festival some of Paris and St. Tropez's top nightclubs set-up special outposts along La Croisette to bring the best of French nightlife to Cannes.
As with most Nikki events a pretty face or ultra-chic outfit will usually get you through the door, everyone else may want to inquire about VIP memberships ($5000 and up) for priority access to their worldwide clubs in NYC, Miami and St. Barts.

bâoli

If you harbour a penchant for star spotting then bâoli is the place to drink during the film festival.

1509874_1447444745478533_2011986685_n.jp

Cinemanila

The festival, founded by director Tikoy Aguiluz, aims to bring the best of world cinema to the local stage. In remarks made at opening, he noted that one of the festival’s aims was “to make the Philippines a hub for cinema in the Southeast Asian region.”

0.jpg

Jessabelle 2014

The multiple angles that are presented in the trailer (the dead parent, the psychic, the dead lover, the terrible accident, the voodoo, and the weird tarot reading video) could make for a very interesting plot.

My friends and I saw Edge of Tomorrow yesterday, and it did not disappoint! I didn't have any doubt going in that it would be a bad movie. I doubt a movie can score a 89% on Rotten Tomatoes and not be, at the very least, an enjoyable experience at the cinema. Then again, I know for a fact that Avatar got good reviews upon release, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with it. But I digress. I will say that every commercial promoting this film I saw beforehand didn't tell me all that I wanted to know regarding the plot. I only came to understand the plot by watching Film Brain's Projector. More so, I only recommended that we see the movie after learning that Film Brain gave it a positive review.

Anyway, in my opinion, the movie has a great handle on tone. It wasn't dour or emotionally exhausting. On the contrary, Edge of Tomorrow is surprisingly funny. Granted, the humor may not be your cup of tea if you don't appreciate a little black comedy. Despite the prevalence of humor in this movie, however, it did not take away from the overall impact of the story's drama. The movie knew when to be funny and when to take itself seriously. It's probably the best performance I've seen out of Tom Cruise in many years. It's a surprising role for Cruise to play since he essentially played a coward for the first third of its duration. His character actually goes through satisfying arc, and at no point is he conveyed as the obligatory designated hero. 

Edge of Tomorrow is not perfect, but it's definitely worth the price of admission. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The official trailer for Paddington. You know that promising teaser trailer that was posted a while back? it was a total farce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-d-V9jXYDE

On a more positive note, here's the trailer for Penguins of Madagascar. These guys were the best parts of the Madagascar trilogy and their TV show was pretty solid. And judging the trailer, the movie looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-SElhktQF0

Was Bonds Beyond Time even shown in the UK? laugh.png

Anyway I'm not sure what to think about this, I haven't watched anything past GX. 

It was shown at certain small theatres, but not at the big name ones like Odeon and was then released on DVD and Blu-ray soon after. Hopefully this one will make it to the big theatres. 

The official trailer for Paddington. You know that promising teaser trailer that was posted a while back? it was a total farce.

I'm not seeing anything particularly wrong with it, he seems to have the same attitude as he did in the TV programme and even that wasn't set in the 50's like the book was. This just seems to be updated to be current with Paddington being the typical curious, very clumsy bear who tries to politely do the right thing. He's still acting the way he did while exploring cultures, tipping his hat politely and taking things literally.

godzilla2014-china-poster.jpg

Final Int’l Box Office: ‘Godzilla’ Thrashes Again With $38.4M Weekend Led By China;

Rampaging his way through China, Godzilla was estimated to have made $36M in its first weekend in the Middle Kingdom, but actually did much better with a total haul of $38.4M through Sunday, according to Monday’s final numbers.

0.jpg

As Above, So Below

A journey into madness and terror, ‘As Above, So Below’ reaches deep into the human psyche to reveal the personal demons that come back to haunt us all.

311406.jpg

Mekong Hotel

The film was part of Cannes Film Festival 2012’s Special Screenings Section.

conjuring-2-days.png

'The Conjuring 2' Confirmed for October 2015 Release, One Year After 'Annabelle'

No word yet on whether Wan will return to direct or what exactly the plot will be, though a working title of The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist has been mentioned.

In addition to this, the spin-off from the first film, Annabelle, based on the story of the doll seen at the beginning of The Conjuring, is now set for a October 3, 2014 release

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah, Ehren Kruger, the co-writer of Transformers 2, and sole writer of Transformers 3 and 4, is writing a live-action Dumbo film.

Somewhere, there are thousands of people crying in terror.

Did he ever write other films?

Did he ever write other films?

I believe he did, but none of those I've seen.

He wrote stuff like Scream 3, The Ring, The Ring Two, Scream 4, and some others...

How on earth is a live action Dumbo movie going to work anyway? The human characters hardly get any spotlight!

I obviously need to see more before I judge this movie but it sounds like it's going to be a disaster from the start, especially if the guy from the Transformers movies is writing it. *shudder*

I believe he did, but none of those I've seen.

He wrote stuff like Scream 3, The Ring, The Ring Two, Scream 4, and some others...

Isn't The Ring one of the most well-known modern horror films?

A live action Dumbo movie? Oh lord, I don't even want to know how ugly Dumbo himself is going to look.

I just wonder who in this wild world came up with the idea of a live-action "Dumbo" movie. I mean...who? Why? When? For what purpose? I'm not mad or anything, just really confused.

• 8 months later...

the-vatican-tapes-finally-possesses-a-re

The Vatican Tapes

July 24, 2015 | 

THE VATICAN TAPES follows the haunting tale of ordinary 27 year-old Angela Holmes, who begins to have a devastating effect on anyone close, causing serious injury and death. Priests examine Holmes and believe she is possessed, but when the Vatican is called upon to exorcise the demon, the possession proves to be an ancient satanic force more powerful than they imagined.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Andrew Lesnie, the cinematographer of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies (not to mention the Babe films, King Kong, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and I Am Legend), died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 59.

Really sad to hear about this, the camerawork in the films he worked on was absolutely gorgeous, and he definitely left an impact on the audience whenever he did do the cinematography for a film. I've only seen King Kong and the Babe films along with Rise, which all had stunning visuals. Rest in piece, Andrew.

Some examples of his work are in the article I linked, you'll be impressed.

Awww man, that's really sad. He's done cinematography for some of my favourite films too like Babe and LotR. <=( RIP Andrew Lesnie, your camerawork was fantastic and made these movies so wonderful to watch.

Today I watched Stardust with my best friend :P

stardustmovie.jpg

I had a lot of fun - it reminded me of the Princess Bride a lot, in the fact that it told a good, intense story that didn't take itself seriously at all. I wouldn't call it a landmark achievement in cinema, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless and I honestly can recommend it based on the merits I described above.

The main characters were incredibly likable, the villains were grasping, the setting was unique and interesting, and it was humorous in a self-aware sort of way. This is the kind of movie that I can enjoy - complex but fun.

I'd probably rate it an 8.5 or a 9/10, myself :P

• Thumbs Up 2