Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Saw the trailer for this today, it looks absolutely gorgeous. I love how they blended the stop motion with the CGI.

• Thumbs Up 2

Trailer for Absolutely Anything, written and directed by Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame); and stars Simon Pegg and Kate Beckinsale. It also has all of the other surviving MP members (John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, and Jones himself) and Robin Williams (in one of his final roles). The premise is that a group of extraterrestrial overseers (voiced by the Python alum) plan to destroy the Earth, but decide to give it one last shot by giving a man (Pegg's character) powers that grant him absolutely anything he wishes-if he uses his new powers for good, the Earth lives; if he uses it for evil, the Earth goes. Hilarity ensues. A UK release date is set for August 15 (through Lionsgate), no US release date has been set.

I'm pretty interested in checking it out. It looks like Bruce Almighty with British/MP-esque humor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yo, I've got good news for you. The Iron Giant might be getting a theatrical re-release! There's a video interview in the link of Brad Bird's thoughts on the subject, but here's a transcript anyway:

BRAD BIRD: Listen, Warner Bros. and I have danced on and off for the last decade. There was going to be a 5-year-thing; there was talk about it being in 3D at one point. Then there was talk about reformatting it for IMAX or whatever. Discussions keep happening, but I think something will happen fairly soon. They know that people have a fondness for it. They don’t know exactly how to deal with that beyond maybe a Blu-ray or something like that. And I keep saying, “You know, you did it for Wizard of Oz and you did it for Blade Runner. I think you actually can do it.” And I think they’re kind of coming around to that idea. I’m trying to find the best way to support something like that.
BIRD: Going back into the movie theater can mean a lot of things. It could mean a studio re-release. It could mean a smaller re-release like Wizard of OZ 3D. It could mean as small a release as a Fathom Event where they show it one night only. So that whole arena is changing and becoming a much more flexible arena. So when it becomes that flexible, it becomes less scary to a studio because they’re hemmed into one, super-expensive, risky thing. They can try it a number of different ways. I think the main thing Warner Bros. has to hear is that there’s an audience for it. When people went back and saw Lion King because it was in 3D, I think the 3D was just a thing to throw them a bone. I think actually a lot of people just wanted to see it in a theater again and be around other people while they saw it. Part of the attraction of movies is not just a big screen. It’s being with strangers and sharing a dream at the same moment. Anything that kind of bolsters the confidence in the theatrical experience I think is good. I would love to see Iron Giant get back into theaters even if only for a week.

It's pretty cool to see that Bird knows of TIG's fanbase and how much it's grown considering how badly the movie tanked when it was originally released thanks to Warner Bros.' garbage advertising. Hopefully something good comes out of this, I'd love to experience the movie on the big screen.

I LOVE the Iron Giant, makes me cry every time. TwT It would be brilliant if Warner Bros re-releases it in cinemas, but a Blu Ray with tons of extras would be great too.

Well I hope WB goes through with the plans to re release the iron giant. And hopefully they've learned from their mistakes from the last time they released it.

Also wouldn't it be sweet if the re-release does well in theaters and Disney re-releases movies like Treasure Planet in response? A guy can dream.

• Thumbs Up 2

If they do an Iron Giant re-release, I'd be chipper. It's already gotten a rightfully earned reputation as a movie that deserved to fare much better than it did at the box office, so I'd think that alone would be enough to help make it a bit more of the cash it should've gotten the first time around.

Also, they really should learn from their mistakes and not fuck up the marketing this time around. That movie deserved much, much better than what it got.

The only thing that keeps me from enjoying enjoying Iron Giant %100 is the blatant "Guns Are Evil" propaganda. Otherwise, it's fantastic in just about every other respect, and I really admire Brad Bird's artistic talent, along with the fantastic animation.

The only thing that keeps me from enjoying enjoying Iron Giant %100 is the blatant "Guns Are Evil" propaganda. Otherwise, it's fantastic in just about every other respect, and I really admire Brad Bird's artistic talent, along with the fantastic animation.

It didn't necessarily strike me as being "all guns are evil" as much as the fact that they're used for evil things when they could be put to better use, a la the end of the movie.

Even then, the only time it was ever intrusive to the story itself was the scene where the hunters shot the deer and there was the unsubtle exposition about the message it was trying to portray - the rest of the time it flowed with the developing bond between Hogarth (what the fuck kind of name is that, anyway?) and the Iron Giant quite seamlessly, if my memory serves correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

howl_small.jpg?w=595&h=446

Paul Hyett’s new horror HOWL

The latest in the studio sees the completion of our titles on the new “creature feature” horror flick ‘HOWL‘, from up and coming director Paul Hyett.

Known for his SFX work on ‘The Woman in Black‘ and ‘The Descent‘, Paul’s directorial debut was with the fantastic British horror drama ‘The Seasoning House‘.

Even then, the only time it was ever intrusive to the story itself was the scene where the hunters shot the deer and there was the unsubtle exposition about the message it was trying to portray - the rest of the time it flowed with the developing bond between Hogarth (what the fuck kind of name is that, anyway?) and the Iron Giant quite seamlessly, if my memory serves correct.

lol I'm pretty sure that's actually the name of the boy from the original book The Iron Giant. But I agree, it's a weird name.

• Thumbs Up 1

Enfield-poltergeist.jpg

A casting call went out this weekend for Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema’s The Conjuring 2, which is to be directed once again by James Wan.

The casting call is looking for new siblings to join returning stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson in the spook sequel that’s said to be inspired by the “Enfield Poltergeist,” which took place at a council house in Brimsdown village, borough of Enfield, England during the late 1970s.

The Conjuring 2 haunts theaters June 10, 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh lord this is hilarious. By now, you should know about Uwe Boll and all the shitty video game films he made? Well he recently tried to use kickstarter to make a Rampage movie. Needless to say it failed. And he is PISSED.

Uwe Boll’s latest crowdfunding campaign hasn’t exactly been the rousing success the director had hoped. The Kickstarter he launched to fund his film, Rampage: No Mercy, asked for $55,794 but, with three days left to go, the campaign has raised less than half its goal, currently standing at $25,558. And that lack of success has infuriated Boll, so much so that he posted a rant about it on his YouTube account.

Simply titled “f— you all,” Boll’s NSFW video begins with the director bitterly recounting his three failed fundraising campaigns. “Basically my message is f— yourself because that is so f—king absurd,” Boll said.

The BloodRayne and Alone in the Dark director also says he is done with fundraising campaigns forever and that financial success was not his goal with taking to Kickstarter. “I have enough money to play golf until I’m dead,” he said. “I want to do Rampage 3 because it is an important movie.”

Boll laments that moviegoers would rather pay for “another Marvel Avengers bulls—t dirt.” He also published a second, longer rant in which he explains that Hollywood stars are laughing about moviegoers and their willingness to spend their small incomes on movie tickets.

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/08/uwe-boll-youtube-rant-rampage-3-kickstarter

Yeah well fuck you too Mr. Boll. And I hope you keep your promise on leaving the film industry for good.

I s2g Uwe Boll is such an asshole. Even his movies aren't as hilariously bad now as they used to be, just forgettable.

Found this outstanding tribute to the films of Steven Spielberg, watch it immediately. The last words said at the end honest to god brought a tear to me eye.

Found this outstanding tribute to the films of Steven Spielberg, watch it immediately. The last words said at the end honest to god brought a tear to me eye.

Frankly, I think Spieldberg is one of the most overrated directors ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to the cinema to see Minions with Mrs. Shadzter. Was hilarious and worth the extra for 3D. We really enjoyed it. Oh, and if you're planning on seeing it, stick around after the credits.

What's the best recently released comedy movies? I'm looking for some new comedy movies to watch.

What's the best recently released comedy movies? I'm looking for some new comedy movies to watch.

Spy (starring Melissa McCarthy) received critical praise across the board, so you may want to check that out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went and saw Ted 2 today.

It was funny enough to keep me entertained even if not as good as the first.

I will say though, the timing was perfect, what with the legal case deciding the validity of personhood, human rights, etc. backstory in it.

Trailer for the new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is out. Looks great. Can't wait! 

No sign of The Chipettes, though :(

13iht-rcannesasia-1-master675.jpg

Cannes Film Festival: Hou Hsiao-Hsien Takes a Detour Into Martial Arts

Based on a popular legendary tale from the Tang Dynasty, “The Assassin” or “Nie Yinniang” in Chinese, takes place in the year 809 and tells the story of a young girl who is kidnapped by a nun and eventually trained to become a skilled assassin (Ms. Shu).

Welp, Goosebumps movie trailer is out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn716jv61s

And I'm not particularly impressed by it.

First off, CGI looks meh. Secondly, Jack Black as R.L. Stine? Really? Thirdly, the kid/teen characters feel rather bland and cliche' as well as the humor/slapstick/writing involved. And forth, bad pop song.

This looks more like Monster Squad/Jumanji with Goosebumps characters (without any of the good traits). Honestly, I feel it would have been better in anthology format like the Twilight Zone movie.