Awoo.

Sonic and the Black Knight Reviews

ovarloard

My views of the game aside, I really don't care what any reviewer says regardless of the game. I often find myself disagreeing with book and movie reviews, but with video games in particular, everyone's going to have a different experience for better or worse and a review can never accurately portray that. In fact, I disregard any number a review tags on because there's no way anyone can narrow a video game with so many different aspects and ways of appealing to one simple spectrum. Little things like music and graphics can be a bit more accurate as far as grades go but its still negligible for the same reason. I mean, many people detest Secret Rings soundtrack and many people loved it. Frankly, I found IGN's and GameTrailers' reviews of Black Knight to be the most professionally written of any I've read yet I disagree with them to a great extent. I don't think any professional reviewers are biased against Sonic, at least not to the degree that it would be detrimental to the score they give games in the franchise, but I do think that some have a tendancy to avoid separating the wheat from the chaff for the sake of expressing the game as worse than it truly is. For example, GameSpot's review of Sonic Unleashed said the only pro was that it "looks nice." I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the most beautiful games I've seen on the Xbox 360, but they want to hide its better aspects to convey that its a bad game, but it only serves to make it seem worse than it really is, whether you think its a good or bad game. If there are two things I think any reviewer should avoid, its that and insulting the reader. But other than that, they can go nuts for all I care.

I thought the game was absolutely abysmal. Never in a modern game have I ever seen such horrible design choices. It's almost as bad as Sonic 06, which is slightly less enjoyable than food poisoning.
You apparently have never had food poisoning. At least you can turn off the game. :P Edited by A Ham Sandwich

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solly

• SuperStingray

• -Mark-

• ovarloard

Top Posters In This Topic

You apparently have never had food poisoning. At least you can turn off the game. :P

Oh, I have.

And yeah, you can turn the game off, but that's not the point. Playing Sonic 06 (and maybe even Black Knight) from start to finish is a more unpleasant experience than say, having food poisoning for a week and a half. That's not even a joke: I really feel this strongly about these games.

Saying something that ridiculous almost makes your statement completely nullify its own validity.

Are you sure you've actually had food poisoning and not just a mild little stomach ache? Seriously, if you have had food poisoning you must have gotten off very lightly. If you get it badly, it hurts so much you almost just wish you could die to get away from the pain.

No matter how bad a game is, I'd much rather sit through a boring and/ or frustrating game for ten to twenty hours than suffer in fucking agony for, what are you saying, 240 hours?

Okay, maybe you would rather have the food poisoning. If so, fair enough, but that just makes you seem a bit of a drama queen.

I'd say its on the same level as Unleashed (Wii/360), it was pretty average, although I did find myself being less frustarted and more relaxed playing SATBK then SU.

I'll have to admit, I quite liked the game for what it was, but it was heavily, HEAVILY flawed. It goes right up there with Sonic Riders for being a game that I like, but just can't stand the flaws and wish it could be something better.

It's quite a shame that the reviewers mindlessly bashed the game for being a waggle fest, which as others have stated, is not, when they could have took a stab at so many other issues.

For me, this game is one of those "Guide Dang It" games, though to a much lesser extent. There are many techniques in the game that make certain missions beatable with a 5 star ranking or a boss battle take 30 seconds. And the game knows this too, cause there are unlockable videos that specifically show you that you can do these certain techniques, e.g, being able to get Perfect Hits on both King Arthur and

The Dark Queen

. No one would ever think you'd be able to do that, let alone figure out the timing.

As for basic gameplay, this game suffers from cheap hits from enemies which can be an absolute bitch when dealing with missions that require you to NOT GET HIT, ineffective controls when doing certain actions, like being paralyzed for a second when you knock into an enemy, and not a whole lot of depth.

The best part about this game was it's presentation. In fact, this game did pretty much EVERYTHING right that most Sonic games do wrong. It had a well written story, great use of characters, mission structure that didn't force pointless missions on people, yet still had a large selection, playable characters were entirely optional and each had their own advantages and abilities, and the game itself had a great amount of unlockables and some satisfying fan-service. The only thing that really destroyed this game was the overall gameplay unfortunately.

I could go on for hours, but in short, I don't agree with what the reviews say, but I do agree that the game is not very good. It's heavily flawed and like most Sonic games these days, your mileage will greatly vary.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

I didn't really like it...at all. The two player mode was really lame and not fun at all. And the plot was horrible. The only good thing I liked was that they used some songs from SA2 because that's my favorite sonic game. But other than that the black knight was pretty lame. :mellow:

Saying something that ridiculous almost makes your statement completely nullify its own validity.

Are you sure you've actually had food poisoning and not just a mild little stomach ache? Seriously, if you have had food poisoning you must have gotten off very lightly. If you get it badly, it hurts so much you almost just wish you could die to get away from the pain.

No, it was food poisoning. It wasn't "agony" but it certainly wasn't mild.

No matter how bad a game is, I'd much rather sit through a boring and/ or frustrating game for ten to twenty hours than suffer in fucking agony for, what are you saying, 240 hours?
I wasn't clear- by "start to finish" I meant "beat the whole game 100%", which could take about 2 weeks given the practice needed.
Okay, maybe you would rather have the food poisoning. If so, fair enough, but that just makes you seem a bit of a drama queen.
Maybe it does make me seem that way- but I stand by it. The game is just that bad to me. It is a thoroughly miserable experience throughout samey levels and awkward controls. At least when I'm sick, a small part of me enjoys it.

Not to genuinely wish ill health on you, but you seriously need to get a bad case of food poisoning sometime, that might change your perspective. Seriously, I wasn't kidding about the 'fucking agony' thing, when you get it bad. And no offence personally, but only a sadist or a madman would choose physical agony over a bad game, if you ask me.

I know I'd happily sit through every bad game life could throw at me if it were a choice between that and having food poisoning for the time I'd spent playing them.

Edited by Mahzes

I think their right. Since sa1 i have finished every sonic game after that even if they would suck a bit. Id still play them

SATBK really went to far for me. It was real torture for me. The game is bad... the reason why i think it's bad is because of the poor level design.... what am i saying:S , everythings poor in the game.. really everything.

If there would be one thing that is good about the game id choose... the fact that there were multiple characters. but that still didnt make a difference so yea just all bad for me :)

this also comes from someone who enjoyed secret rings

Edited by Jaouad

I can honestly see why anyone would find it to be bad or even downright abysmal; it certainly didn't feel very much like a Sonic game outside of jumping and running fast. It could be that I'm just distracted by the pretty colors and gripping story, but I didn't find the gameplay to be too bad at all, at least not most of the time. I won't say that it's unforgiving, but there were some challenges that were pretty unfair like the ones that limit your sword swings. I won't say it's a great game overall, or even a "Sonic" game, but I felt it was overall decent and even rather well done in regards of aesthetic, audio and narrative.

Not to genuinely wish ill health on you, but you seriously need to get a bad case of food poisoning sometime, that might change your perspective. Seriously, I wasn't kidding about the 'fucking agony' thing, when you get it bad. And no offence personally, but only a sadist or a madman would choose physical agony over a bad game, if you ask me.

I know I'd happily sit through every bad game life could throw at me if it were a choice between that and having food poisoning for the time I'd spent playing them.

Ok. Since I apparently don't know how bad food poisoning can get, let's just say that I "think the game is shit" and we'll leave it at that.

I didn't want to have a conversation about this. DX

Wow... opinions are all over the place. Now I'll never figure out if the reviews are good or bad... :(

Wow... opinions are all over the place. Now I'll never figure out if the reviews are good or bad... :(
Here's the thing about reviews- you gotta read between the lines. They'll all try to keep it as clear and unbiased as they can, but their own idiosyncrasies may creep in there unintentionally (or with some, intentionally) but you just gotta know for yourself, especially with in depth reviews, where the reviewer is coming from and what the game seems like from what you've seen. They're not necessarily good or bad, it's just a simple recording of one's own experience with the game and how they expect you may react as well given you have the same expectations and make the same decisions. Edited by A Ham Sandwich

See that's the thing about reviews. You can only decide if you like it or not. A reviewer can say a game is complete crap while another can think it's pure genius. I've played games where it was completely the opposite for me. A game that was considered crap was fun through my eyes. If the game was really good and praised, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. In the end only you can make the final decision. Trust me I used to listen to reviews and always went with them. Come to find out I missed out on a lot of things. Hope that helps. ;)

The game's fun IMO and I enjoyed it more then Unleashed. As others the game was really short, but the replay was really good. I suggest to anyone who has not played the game to rent it. It took me two days to finish it, and I was getting over a cold at the time.

I'm not looking to see whether I like the reviews or not. I guessed I phrased this wrongly; I wanted to see whether the reviews represented the views of a majority or a minority. Right now, it's still divided pretty equally.

I wanted to see whether the reviews represented the views of a majority or a minority. Right now, it's still divided pretty equally.
I don't think we'll ever know that for sure - keep in mind that this board only represents a small portion of the Sonic fanbase.

I'm not looking to see whether I like the reviews or not. I guessed I phrased this wrongly; I wanted to see whether the reviews represented the views of a majority or a minority. Right now, it's still divided pretty equally.
They don't represent anyone but the reviewer. Whether a person likes a game or hates it, they can like or hate different aspects and for different reasons.

Black Knight was OK. I didn't like it as much as Secret Rings; it was fun at times, but too short and the levels felt too generic and uninspired.

I too have liked pretty much every game I've bought (the ones I specifically wanted, anyway). The only "major" video game, as well as the only Sonic game, I have that I genuinely dislike is Sonic Advance 2. I sort of live in my own little world when it comes to video games - the only game I ever read a "professional" review of before buying was Sonic 2006 (and yes, I liked that game).

I agree with most of the reviews. The game consists almost entirely of waggletastic sword combat, actual platforming is pretty much nonexistant, the controls are pretty crap, and the level design is dull and repettetive. This game is bad.

But despite all that... I enjoyed it anyway somehow. Despite the game's badness, I had massive amounts of fun with it, strange as that may sound.

Hmmm, in my case I never, EVER read any reviews of any Sonic games in my life and it won't happen for simply 1 reason:

Likes and Dislikes

That alone separates everyone regarding anything. While some people agree on the same stuff they won't actually like it. Reviews depending on their taste sometimes give more positive then negative point and vice-versa. Because it's a certain game, example sonic and the black knight will automaticly give it a low score even tho they give plenty of positive points. Cause it's more battles then speed/platforming some may like or not like it. Were all divided in seperate sections cause of our likes and dislikes and that is why I will never read any review and ignore any scores that will be given to any sonic games even if it 8+ and I mean it. If I like a Sonic game I will like it even if it'"s a game like Sonic 2006, sonic heroes, shadow the hedgehog and such.

- - -

Now that thats done...

I'll give my opinion on SatBK.

I hear (more like read) that the main reason this game is not being called a good or Okay game is because of the gameplay and the waggle fest... Now in the beggining of the game sure it will look like it bt the more you play the less it becomes like it because like Caliber said "your just a knave" so obviously you'll swing the wii-remote hoping that will solve everything wich is not the case. On a note... your not force to kill every enemy that you see in your path reducing the waggle fest even more!!

You wanna play the game to its full potential? Practice!! For god sake it's not that difficult. When you use the soul surge you can do 3 things with it: Kill enemies, run fast trought a stage when there is no opponents or knock out enemies/

Will-o-wisps using the nun-chuck

. Using the homming attack and sword at the same time makes things easier too. Knowing wich item and style to use for each missions give different results also.

I don't know why people complain about character bosses (shadow, knuckles blaze) cause I find them epic mostly doing the sword vs sword parts (when both of you hit each other at the same time). Their not letting themselves be defeated that easily but after a while you'll know when to strike back whitout being hit once.

I'm glad about the high score board for Wi-Fi cause it give more of a reason to do them instead of just "finally i'm done with the slaying... NEXT"

The multi-player mode... I didn't do it so no comments about it.

For those who wanted more platforming well.... it won't always be the case so stop crying over it please... You can't have the same formula for a game cause it's the one that will gie the best results, you gotta try new stuff and see what it will give even if it's not as good as expected.

For those who wanted speed.... Train, level up, gather folowers and when you obtain the crest of wind... be satisfied and keep it down with all your crying.

SatBK is a story book serie but in the medieval times.... the hell do you expect to have as leel designs in it? Loops? Crazy looking fields? Plenty of Bottomless pits? Out of this world zones that will make you say "holy snap!?"? Get real you won't have that, it's not a Sonic heroes game (except whit paladin style) neither an unleash game.

They already fixed many stuff that made Secret rings annoying at some parts:

Not on-rails

You keep all the upgrades

Better backflip that really get you out of trouble

Soul surge => Speed Brake Cause you can see where the hell your going

No need for a red target to home attack an enemy

CONTROLS

No need to slide/charge jump for 6 hours before doing an acceptable jump!!

- - -

Tho we must all agree that there isn't one perfect game and they all have some flaws.

Those who deny it don't have the right to play games....

So yeah...

Like many said, when you know how to play the game right without it being frustrating.... stages are shoter then those of secret rings unfortunately....

I don't get either those who prefer secret rings over this one who complain about it being too linear... wasn't secert wings linear too? Maybe having upper road and lower roads but... it's still linear too right? So it's the damn same thing!!

Enemies... while you can block almost all attack except the Giant-One's they will all gang up on you from every directions... yes, that means that if you leave one behind, you, if it's intelligent enough he will stab you in the back. Some enemies are cheap... like the spear, tornado axe and jumping ones: You attack one thats in front of you but BOOM an enemy jumped without you noticing and you lost your chance of 5 star a mission or after you defeat an opponent, while this one is disapearing... a spear flacon strike you in the face without a warnining so no 5 stars...

Also, the buzzsaw attack doesn't always kill without you getting hit and sometimes it makes you got right trought the enemy's attack like the spear-one's. Finally... sometimes you run so fast that you don't have the time to attack or jump and you hit a shielding enemy and... what's this? you can't move at all for a reasonable amount of time so that the enemy will hit you.... THAT is what's annoying me the most in my case.

Misson speaking, some may be easy but many are down right annoying mostly whe you want to 5 star it.... like the "5 sword swing allowed" or the "don't get hit" missons. While some may look too hard to 5 star, if you gathered certain items, it automaticly remove that difficulty like the "don't hit the towns people"; simple equip a

mermaid's tear

I played the game long enough and except those... I don't really find anything else annoying for me...

- - -

On another note they did give us good stuff:

Like the video's in the galley to show us how to defeat some bosses or play trought a stage and doing the right things.

Fan Arts.

Voice actings.

Character info and a few info about the real mediaval important characters.

We can also trade collected items trough wifi for either having all the items or craft new weapons.

Changing style to play differently or to complete certain mission.

Equip useful items for some mission.

Craft and equip new weapons for the optional characters with give different abilities.

Being able to use the other characters in the Red Dot area only (with is almost half playable section).

Good music AND you can change the music of any stage you play in if you have the character medals wich are remix of SA2 theme's.

- - -

In my opinion I like the game, I really liked it.

I find it amusing and I even play it more then unleashed cause I never seem to be bored when doing a stage (slaying is fun...)

But for some who want more platforming (speed is obtanable via Cavalier style) I don't really recommend it but if you like to kill while running and have nice 1 on 1 fight well go ahead and buy it. In general tho I recommend to wait for the price to lower if your still not sure of yourself.

NO I won't give it a score and NO I won't say if it better then another sonic game.

Say what you like but it's still a matter of taste wheater you'll like it or not.

IGN, Gametrailers and other gaming site may say whatever they want but I'll never read them so I don't care.

Tho who wanna follow the band like a bunch of sheeps/robots, do it at your heart's content but I rather try something then hear rumors and such before even saying shit about something.

Whit this... i'm done, have a good day and I won't reply to any negative comments.

Way Past Cool~