Awoo.

Staff changes among Sonic Team.

Kuzu

No, she said people want to go back to the classic/adventure formula which is completely off-topic and besides the point of this argument.

The entire post is relevant to the tangent of what constitutes "milking a formula" which has already been discussed in this thread rather extensively over the last two pages. :/

Maybe not in this topic but alot of people are still demanding Sonic Team to make an SA3 or return to the Adventure gameplay and such but when they want to continue on making Sonic only games then it's consider to be milking the Unleashed formula still.

Mostly people with little knowledge suggest going backwards, ala 'Sonic Adventure 3'. But even so, the Adventure games all played completely different, and looked different, whereas the Unleashed trilogy does not. The Adventure formula was milked, but it was handled much better than the Unleashed formula currently is.

The Adventure formula was milked, but it was handled much better than the Unleashed formula currently is.

The last game that tries to use the Adventure formula is Sonic 2006 and it sucked. So bad that they didn't even go back to that formula again.

Edited by sonfan1984

The last game that tries to use the Adventure formula is Sonic 2006 and it sucked.

Point being? Not having enough production time =/= The concept of the game.

Point being? Not having enough production time =/= The concept of the game.

Meaning the Adventure formula isn't really that great to go back to either.

The original classics don't look and play radically differently from one another either, and on top of that, they've been repackaged on every single electronic gaming device imaginable. I guarantee Sonic 2 would be available for interactive toasters if someone had the ingenuity to make such a device and it took off. So even ignoring the fact that the classics were borne from a need to sell consoles and keep Sega afloat against competition from Nintendo, those games and their inherent nostalgia has been been milked to death like the rest of the series, and they should not get reprieve from this fact simply because they're good games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mostly people with little knowledge suggest going backwards, ala 'Sonic Adventure 3'. But even so, the Adventure games all played completely different, and looked different, whereas the Unleashed trilogy does not.
The differences between Sonic's gameplay in SA and SA2 are only fractionally bigger, if at all, than the differences between Unleashed Day and Generations Modern.

Meaning the Adventure formula isn't really that great to go back to either.

I never suggested we should go back to it, but there were drastic differences between each game, whereas there aren't with the Unleashed formula. That's a massive problem. The classic games also all had the same core formula between each other, but all looked different and had some changes-gameplay wise. The Unleashed games look the same, they play the same. If they fixed this I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it.

Considering the recent string of games, and the past ones; does anyone else feel some of the staff should be removed or replaced, or at least they need a new direction on where to take this series?

Well, it would be nice to have a team that can make a game longer than an hour.

• Thumbs Up 6

Maybe some new blood on the team, but don't go and replace everyone. Not during progress.

And if you throw the Solo Sonica argument at me....well.....as much as I want it......I am fine with them playing it safe in that regard. They can't really afford to take a risk right now, and progress is slowly being made. I feel it will happen eventually. I love Gens and Colours despite this issue, so I'm not that upset at Izuka's announcement of more focus on Sonic.

I don't think replacing the team improves it in any aspect, as you can tell that they're absolutely devoted to the franchise with the past 3 main series games.

Edited by Protagoras

Sonic Team is just getting back on their feat after the years of pain that included such (s)hits as: Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, the Storybook titles, the Sonic Riders games, Sonic Unleashed, and the like, and now that they're finally producing titles that are at least on par with the quality of the Adventure games, if not the Genesis/Mega Drive titles, you wanna see the staff and crew of Sonic Team removed or replaced?

I'm sorry, but what? How does that sound like a good idea, at all? I mean, yeah, I agree, I'd like to see the "Modern" Sonic formula reworked and modified for future titles, and the Classic Sonic titles (i.e. the Sonic 4 saga) have their share of problems, but compared to Shadow running around with guns and cursing up a storm, Sonic falling through solid ground in what was hyped to be his biggest game of all time, or turning into Dante the God of Warhog in what was hyped up as a return to form for the franchise, comparatively, the issues of today's Sonic games are trifling.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Team is just getting back on their feat after the years of pain that included such s(h)its as: Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, the Storybook titles, Sonic Unleashed, and the like, and now that they're finally producing titles that are at least on par with the quality of the Adventure games, if not the Genesis/Mega Drive titles, you wanna see the staff and crew of Sonic Team removed or replaced?

I'm sorry, but what? How does that sound like a good idea, at all? I mean, yeah, I agree, I'd like to see the "Modern" Sonic formula reworked and modified for future titles, and the Classic Sonic titles (i.e. the Sonic 4 saga) have their share of problems, but compared to Shadow running around with guns and cursing up a storm, Sonic falling through solid ground in what was hyped to be his biggest game of all time, or turning into Dante the God of Warhog in what was hyped up as a return to form for the franchise, comparatively, the issues of today's Sonic games are trifling.

Oh come now, Sonic Unleashed is not complete shit. It has a better story and atmosphere then any of the other modern titles. That doesn't make it the best though.

............But that's off topic. I agree with everything here (except that part).

Oh come now, Sonic Unleashed is not complete shit. It has a better story and atmosphere then any of the other modern titles. That doesn't make it the best though.

............But that's off topic. I agree with everything here (except that part).

I actually agree with you, and I'll go on to say that the game is probably one of the biggest Sonic games ever made, content-wise. I also loved the sense of scope, as it really did feel like a massive, globe-trotting adventure; no other Sonic game to date has given me that kind of experience. But an over-abundance of poorly designed night levels, slippery controls, and the absolutely asinine level progression system straight up destroyed my experience with the game. Unlike Sonic 2006, it really is the case of a great game being brought down by damning flaws.

But the recent games don't have problems like this, sans maybe Sonic 4 (Episode 1 particularly). No longer are awkward controls and obtrusive gimmicks an issue, and no longer are levels just lazy straight lines; the games are just better as a whole. And that's thanks, in part, to the current Sonic time which is helmed by the Lord of Dental Decay himself, Takashi Iizuka. The franchise has a sense of quality and cohesion that it's lacked since 2005, and I think a shake up now could really hurt the franchise badly.

Edited by EXshad

I still say the werehog was better than Generations Classic. At least the werehog plays well...

• Thumbs Up 6

In the Q&A, Iizuka regarding other characters he said "Not now, maybe in the future' and people take that and run with it as though he's saying they're going to continue using the Unleashed gameplay.

In the Q&A, Iizuka regarding other characters he said "Not now, maybe in the future' and people take that and run with it as though he's saying they're going to continue using the Unleashed gameplay.

I thought we had confirmation a month or few ago about the continuation of the Unleashed gameplay and the lack of other playable characters, so really I didn't think this part of the interview was all that new or surprising. In fact, for a moment I was wondering why this had come back up again and people were freaking out about it. *forgot about SoS*

I still say the werehog was better than Generations Classic. At least the werehog plays well...

So does Classic Sonic.

No he doesn't. They didn't get the classic gameplay right, and what they did copy just makes him clumsy compared to other platformers.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not as much as Classic Sonic, at least once you factor in that the gameplay's split between platforming and fighting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Classic Sonic reminded me of Adventure 1 actually - clumsy and with a really overpowered spammable spin dash. I definitely much prefer Modern Sonic in Generations.

I prefer it to Werehog though, mostly because it doesn't take as long. The only part of Classic I had major issues with apart from the lack of physics was Planet Wisp Act 1. Spikes just amplifies all the problems of Classic Sonic in this game, and was clearly not playtested properly at all.

Oh and Super Sonic, but that's not a Classic specific issue considering Modern's version sucks as well.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Not as much as Classic Sonic, at least once you factor in that the gameplay's split between platforming and fighting.

Well, in some ways Werehog was less flawed, but overall it was SO MUCH more boring than Classic Sonic imo.