Awoo.

Staff changes among Sonic Team.

Kuzu

I still can't figure out what part of Generations Classic is supposed to be fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, in some ways Werehog was less flawed, but overall it was SO MUCH more boring than Classic Sonic imo.

Well that was more of the result of the Werehog having to level up in order to get his better moves, because once you get your paws on his full combo and strength, he becomes beastly and quite enjoyable. You can even skip sections of levels if you use his combos at the right places.

Here's the interview covering the 'good parts' I think. Take what you will from it.

http://forums.sega.c...l=1#post7430307

After reading that, I don't know why people are acting so bitter about this and wants him and the current staff at Sonic Team to be removed or replaced. The guy sounds like he know what he's doing.

Edited by sonfan1984

True. The boredom was mostly on the first playthrough, because Werehog levels were just an obstacle between day levels. But still, the 'platforming' is often atrocious and handled crappily. (and it's even worse in the Wii/PS2 version)The stretchy arm mechanic was cool but executed badly. Classic didn't handle all that well either, but at least it wasn't actually very irritating when trying to complete the levels (unless you're a total purist)

And it didn't drag on either.

I still say the werehog was better than Generations Classic. At least the werehog plays well...

Meh, I always found there Werehog's gameplay to be extremely generic and painfully drawn out. If I wanted to play a good beat-em up, I'd play God of War, Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. All vastly more interesting, fleshed out and stylish than the Werehog. The platforming elements weren't much better either. Infact, they were worse. Wailing on foes (albeit rather uninteresting foes) was significantly more satisfying than any of the platforming or puzzle elements in the Werehog levels. They always just felt slow paced, simplistic, monotonous and un-engaging. Not to mention the fact that the Werehog levels take like half an hour to beat. When I spend 25 minutes on a level and still manage to get an S Rank, then something is wrong.

At least for me Classic Sonic was a little more engaging because it retained a few of the platforming elements from the classics. Being able to bounce of enemies, the more vivid level aesthetics, the fact that each level has its own unique gimmick, and being able to retain forward momentum make it a more satisfying experience for me personally. Yes it's flawed, yes it's no where near as good as the classics and I'd rather play Sonic 2 or CD or 3&K but there's something quirky about it that makes me appreciate it a little more. I know you don't really like it, so I won't hold that against you sir. Each to his own.

Though getting a little more on topic I agree with the post you made on page one. Staff changes aren't really necessary (though I question some of Iizuka's decisions sometimes) but a new direction for the games would definitely be something worth seeing.

• Thumbs Up 7

They already had a staff change during the development of Unleashed. Hashimoto-san the guy who directed Unleashed confirmed this. What they do need is a change in approach to Sonic in 3D. The current formula has done good for Sonic, but I think its about time they try again and really flesh out the possibilities with today's technology while still keeping what makes the series work at this point in time.

Also, put the staff of Dimps, for the time being, in a far away cell. Guarded daily by Jack Bauer. smile.png

Edit: I agree BlueWind. More than anything, I would like to see the series get a soft hiatus to let some of he heat get takes off,while at the same time give the series team time to recuperate, and come back with fist swinging ala DKCR (not that long, but you know what I mean!). Having Sega in the shape its in is not gonna do the series any favors though, unfortunately. With very few game series to pick up the slack, the strain will eventually break the series if they are not careful.

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 1

No need to change staff.

The people who've made the previous games can program and have good artistic and creative vision. They could probably handle a change in direction.

I still like Dimps. They make good Sonic games when they're just doing their own thing and not making handheld versions of the main console titles.

Never mind Sonic Team, how about Staff Changes at DIMPS?

No kidding, talk about a fall from grace. I loved the Sonic games they made at a time but now... Good grief it's gotten so bad I actually expect this to be a stage in the future but with more boosters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHQCR7Ucz4

And I expect act 2 to be a massive pit.

No kidding, talk about a fall from grace. I loved the Sonic games they made at a time but now... Good grief it's gotten so bad I actually expect this to be a stage in the future but with more boosters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHQCR7Ucz4

And I expect act 2 to be a massive pit.

If you were 5 percent funnier you would have inserted the destroyed Sammer's Kingdom theme from Super Paper Mario, lol.

Anyway Dimps's recent outtings sukxx.

I'd fire the guy who decided to milk Unleashed.

I don't quite get this way of thinking, we've had two games that have followed on from Unleashed's mechanics, Colours and Generations. The first of which was vastly different anyway, and Generations worked on the formula that was far from perfect in the first place. We are far from Guitar Hero esque copies here and there's still a lot of tweaking to do before it's at its optimum. Why do we suddenly want change when stable footing has only just been found?

Edited by Wordy

I don't quite get this way of thinking, we've had two games that have followed on from Unleashed's mechanics, Colours and Generations. The first of which was vastly different anyway, and Generations worked on the formula that was far from perfect in the first place. We are far from Guitar Hero esque copies here and there's still a lot of tweaking to do before it's at its optimum. Why do we suddenly want change when stable footing has only just been found?

Because I don't want any more DLC packs released as games, which Sonic Generations basically was. Whereas Sonic Colours is too, but severely downgraded. It's time for something fresh.

Who says something new can't work?

• Thumbs Up 1

So now it's consider a 'DLC pack released as games' if a videogame sticks to a formula for more then one game and try to improve on it's formula instead of starting all over again from scratch with a new gameplay formula which is either going to get praised or a ton of hate.

It just sounds like you want them to keep changing the gameplay for each game cause I remember a few years ago how that use to annoy people when Sega keep changing the formula for every game. That kind of logic should apply for every game series. In that case NSMBW, NSMBU and NSMB2 are all 'DLC packs' for NSMB cause it sticks to the same formula and improves on it each game.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know how to feel about this.

I don't normally pay attention on which people make the games.

DON'T let Dimps handle each game! Bottomless pits everywhere isn't a mark of good level design. DX >:(

I would fire the Takashi Iizuka responsible for Sonic 4, because he isn't the same Takashi Iizuka responsible for Sonic Generations, period.

Edited by Jango

So now it's consider a 'DLC pack released as games' if a videogame sticks to a formula for more then one game and try to improve on it's formula instead of starting all over again from scratch with a new gameplay formula which is either going to get praised or a ton of hate.

It just sounds like you want them to keep changing the gameplay for each game cause I remember a few years ago how that use to annoy people when Sega keep changing the formula for every game. That kind of logic should apply for every game series. In that case NSMBW, NSMBU and NSMB2 are all 'DLC packs' for NSMB cause it sticks to the same formula and improves on it each game.

To be honest, that is kind of true in the case of NSMB. A better example of sticking to a gameplay formula while improving and changing it up would be the 3D Mario games.

No one wants to go back to a shitty, irrelevant formula that was flawed from conception (guess which one I'm talking about).

Don't talk about the Classics like that! D:

They could really use a new direction. This one didn't even really last the whole way through the game they started it with. What can you really do with it? Make more games about hallways?

Because I don't want any more DLC packs released as games, which Sonic Generations basically was. Whereas Sonic Colours is too, but severely downgraded. It's time for something fresh.

Who says something new can't work?

Same formula =/= Same game

Wow you couldn't have shot yourself in the foot more.

• Thumbs Up 4

Indeed; ergo, Colors and Generations aren't "DLC Packs" for Unleashed.

Wow you couldn't have shot yourself in the foot more.

Erm, how? More like you failed to understand.

I don't have too much of a problem with the formula. If they made something that played a bit differently and looked new, but still had the base Unleashed formula (Similar to how the Adventure games progressed) then they certainly wouldn't be hearing that many people complaining, but that's not what they're doing. They're releasing Sonic Unleashed over and over with new stages, which is basically DLC packs.

Same Formula =/= Same Game

They're not reusing the formula, they're reusing the same game.

Edited by -L-