Awoo.

How to re-introduce the cast?

PerfectChaos

I don't mean to dismiss that as a valid option. Of course you can do that and people would probably be just fine, but I've personally never been fond of that method because it's never made me inherently interested in playing as other characters. What would I find on those different paths anyway? More rings, some extra lives maybe? I can get those with Sonic through competent play; I don't feel the need to waste ten minutes faffing about. There's rarely any interesting changes in environment to take advantage of by exploring either. That cave or that forest is going to look more or less the same no matter how high or low you travel in it, which kind of undermines the whole "exploratory" aspect of the games. Unless taking these different paths yielded new information about the environment or story, such as being able to find one of Eggman's doomsday machines hidden underground as Knuckles or something, I find that there's no incentive anymore in using other characters as it's been classically done.
By this logic why have different paths at all, even for Sonic-only games?

By this logic why have different paths at all, even for Sonic-only games?

What logic in my post dictates that paths cannot be had at all?

Its not that they can't, but every point you use against character-specific paths being interesting can be used against alternate paths in general. You don't need alternate paths for rings and lives, and alternate paths will probably not provide any significant difference in scenery or add any story value.

Its not that they can't, but every point you use against character-specific paths being interesting can be used against alternate paths in general. You don't need alternate paths for rings and lives, and alternate paths will probably not provide any significant difference in scenery or add any story value.

Oh. You're right; I'm not a fan of alternate paths as they've always been done and advocated for whether or not they're character-specific. I don't take them myself because I feel they yield nothing that adequately rewards my exploration, and subsequently I don't feel the need to use another character in games where this is common. They're nice distractions and little else to me, hence why I figured tying them up into the narrative somehow or at least significantly varying the landscape and subsequently the platforming and obstacles as you travel between altitudes would make them significantly more worthwhile.

How should they re-introduce the cast?

Well, for thing, they need to do so slowly so as not to bombard people with 'shitty friends'. For instance, in a future game (hopefully near future), they should have Tails as an optional playable character, with him having a big part in the storyline all the same. Here's how I'd go about it;

Sonic represents the main storyline, obviously. It would be the only one you would really need to finish in order to complete the game. However, to get the FULL story, you'd play through Tails' campaign as well. Okay, if this is confusing anyone, let me break it down for you;

Okay, as I said before, Sonic's campaign would be the main one. After about an initial stage or two, he would meet up with Tails, who himself would have gone through a completely different stage or two beforehand. This would continue through a few more stages, with the two of them being able to take different routes through them through the use of their own unique abilities.

Then, they would split up through some means, where they would both have a few stages unique to them. During the split, Tails would discover a facet of Eggman's latest plan. Then, when he and Sonic met up again, the fox would relay the information to him. Again, you wouldn't need to play through Tails since he would still tell Sonic in the hedgehog's story, but to get the full elements of the plot, it would still be a good idea.

Anyone confused? =| Because I'm not sure if I explained well... (it made so much more sense in my head)

Personally I think that one of the first things that have to be considered is that Sonic Team should not try to re-introduce them in sequels of titles that only create expectations that cannot be realistically fulfilled. Sonic 4 is pretty much an example of this due to all the negative it carries with it.

Another clever thing to do is to not re-release the games that cemented the perception of other characters = bad gameplay (for example Sonic Advanture 1, 2, 06) as that will only remind people of the negative aspects. Instead focus on re-releasing the games where the other characters worked well (advance trilogy) or add the characters in old games as "proof of concept" extras (having Knuckles and advance 1 styled Amy in the classics would be an example and it would not cost much money to develop because the rom hacks exist with all the coding and extra sprites for the additional characters already done) so that people can remember that the characters do work and are fun to use.

Finally, make a new game, preferably a 2-D game with a good and polished physics engine and a simple story like in the advance games (Eggman is up to no good and Sonic & co. must stop him) and start off with what has already worked: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Personally I think this cast is the ideal choice because not only does it allow for Sonic to be the main focus, but also each of the other characters serve a practical purpose that adds something to the gameplay. (Tails is ideal for younger players as he makes the game more accesible, Knuckles appeals to those who want exploration and Amy provides a different, more challenging way to interact with the game)

From there on any other new character should not exist just for exploration purposes, but also to introduce clever gameplay mechancis that provide the 2-D core formula with fresh ideas and twists that increase replay value.

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing I don't get is when people say "Make 'em entierly OPTIONAL, and make it so I don't need 'em in order to access the last story!"

Okay, so maybe it's annoying when you're stuck on level with gamma and you wanna play as Super Sonic, but I can see the logic for it.

If the other characters are entirely optional, then you have no real incentive to play as them. Unless they're like, they're super awesome and/or you're a crazy rabid fan or something. Making it so you have to complete their stories to play the final one gives you more incentive to actually play as them. And makes unlocking the final story more rewarding.

But, Okay, here's my alterantive for completely OPTIONAL secoundary characters.

Go the Rayman Origins route, and have the secoundary characters unlockable (By collecting red rings) for use in Sonic's levels. Let's say so it doesn't conflict with story, you have to complete the level with Sonic first before you can play in it as them.

HOWEVER, unlike Rayman Origins, instead of the bonus characters being just a sprite swap, they have new powers and ablities. Say for instance, Tails can fly. And this makes it easier to unlock MORE red rings, and unlock MORE characters, until you've unlocked them all and you get as a bonus... SUPER SONIC.

Yeah, that's my contribution. Probably needs a bit more work...

Edited by Paradox

I think making them completely optional for the main campaign could work out well, if you make it so that merely blazing through Sonic's story and defeating the final boss doesn't actually give you access to a majority of the content. The lack of forcing other characters onto the audience, a short three to four hour romp with a low percentage of game completion hovering over one's head, and emphasis on the importance of other characters through the narrative would probably be enough incentive for people to try them out, and the promise of their own campaigns with ideally unique levels would also serve as an influence. I might also suggest making Super Sonic- the usual final unlockable- available for use after Sonic's part is done, to further de-emphasize his campaign and because it makes more sense in most canon cases anyway: Sonic's already gotten the Chaos Emeralds in the story, so why must we scour for Red Rings for an ability we were able to use already?

I think making them completely optional for the main campaign could work out well, if you make it so that merely blazing through Sonic's story and defeating the final boss doesn't actually give you access to a majority of the content.

Then they're not 'completely optional'...

They would be optional in the way that Chao Gardens are- You can see the main story and fight the final boss without them. If you're gunning for 110% completion, then no, they wouldn't be optional, but then again that's a given with almost any game.

Sonic's already gotten the Chaos Emeralds in the story, so why must we scour for Red Rings for an ability we were able to use already?

It was merely a suggestion, and not a very good one. Super Sonic doesn't really have that much to do with it, he was just incentive to get the red rings. Like in Sonic Colours.

They would be optional in the way that Chao Gardens are- You can see the main story and fight the final boss without them. If you're gunning for 110% completion, then no, they wouldn't be optional, but then again that's a given with almost any game.

You mean in the way episode Metal is? (I've never played it, so I'll probably mess this up) No-one's forcing you to play Episode Metal, but it's a reward for having episode I, and it gives you backstory and helps make the game make more sense...

So... Special Operative's Blaire's suggestion sounds good?

EDIT: I'm confused! Which suggestion are we talking about here?

Edited by Paradox

I might also suggest making Super Sonic- the usual final unlockable- available for use after Sonic's part is done, to further de-emphasize his campaign and because it makes more sense in most canon cases anyway: Sonic's already gotten the Chaos Emeralds in the story, so why must we scour for Red Rings for an ability we were able to use already?

Begin with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and maybe Blaze. Then bring back the rest later.

Begin with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and maybe Blaze. Then bring back the rest later.

Why "maybe Blaze?" And why not character like Metal Sonic who barely have anything under their belt, or Shadow who could use serious repair to his reputation?

Blaze is pretty decent and I'd like to see her used more, but with that said, it's worth she has a story limitation for her appearances.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Not saying that she shouldn't, but I'm just interested in an answer as to why she's the only modern character to be present with the ones who've been around since the classics.

I kinda do want Blaze to have a proper 3D outing.

Ditto; her role in Sonic 2006 was rather pointless, considering she only really interacted with Silver.

Shhhh... people should go to the Sonic the Hedgehog series in the Ship Tease article of TV Tropes to know about these kind of implied stuff...

Edit: The Batman started it.

Edited by Anti Alias

• 2 weeks later...