Awoo.

Sonic & Megaman: When Worlds Collide [Archie]

Autosaver

I think the main thing wrong with Shadow is how tall he looks, which is due to how long his legs are (plus his shoes are quite big). Compare that with the image of Sonic and Mega Man we got where Sonic is clearly smaller than Mega Man and it just gets mentally odd.

Proto freaking Man and Knuckles. This just can't get any better. I do agree that the artwork look rather fan-arty but who cares, freaking Proto Man and Knuckles teaming up.

I'm excited for this.

I haven't really been following the announcement, so excuse me being completely uninformed, but uh...

Do we know if this is a super cool Megaman/Sonic crossover or a Megaman/ShittyArchieShit dealio? Eggman and Wily teaming up would be awesome, but I really couldn't be driven to care if it's the Archie variant of each character.

For the last time, YES it's Archie, sorry for ruining the magic for you.

Nevermind the fact that they're using the game characters anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the last time, YES it's Archie, sorry for ruining the magic for you.

Nevermind the fact that they're using the game characters anyway.

They aren't the game characters if they act completely differently from how they do in the games.

Eh. I guess I might take a look at the comic eventually to see if Archie didn't fuck everything up, but any enthusiasm I had is now gone. Hm.

Though, Ian Flynn's take on the Archie characters are a lot more in line with their game counterparts than past writers'. Especially Eggman.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Act differently in what context? All the game characters in the comic act similar enough to what you would get in the games (sometimes better, considering almost zero usage in the games and almost one note personalities as of late), Just because they differ in setting and mythos doesn't make them automatically disimilar at all.

never cared much for Megaman, was brought up liking Metroid over his games... but this may be a good time to finally get into his Verse.

i am looking forward to this though!

Act differently in what context? All the game characters in the comic act similar enough to what you would get in the games (sometimes better, considering almost zero usage in the games and almost one note personalities as of late), Just because they differ in setting and mythos doesn't make them automatically disimilar at all.

Last I checked Archie, Sonic was an obnoxious prat, Tails didn't do much at all because Rotor stole his job, and Robotnik was some generic evil angry dude.

Needless to say it was shit and I never looked at it again. What, are things actually different now?

Considering Tails clearly builds things regularly, Rotor hasnt done anything mechanics-wise in years (or rather, nothing ever overshadowing Tails' position), and Eggman being anything but Generic McEvil, yeah id say so.

Edited by The Noodle

Yup. Eggman in particular got a HUGE overhaul once current writer Ian Flynn took over. Now he's pretty much exactly like his game counterpart only a bit more sadistic/insane. He also now has an occasional habit of humming "E.G.G.M.A.N." to himself as he threatens people. He's so awesome. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I for one think that the 12-issues makes sense in that sometimes crossovers suck because they are so short and the writers have to shove everything into one or two issues. So this gives me hope that they are going to do a good job with the story.

And the decision to do it in 4 months seems reasonable in that in this way the quality of the main series won't go down because of the crossover (at least that's what I think). I'm excited for this biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic was an obnoxious prat,

You mean he isn't in the games? Granted he's a lot more nuanced in the games, and actually does show a genuinely compassionate, non-snarky, and messiah like attitude, but Sonic has always been an obnoxiously cocky character, it honestly wouldn't be Sonic without it.

About the only difference I can find between the two is that Sonic doesn't have an extreme fixation on naked chipmunks in the games.

and now I await the fanboys to tell me how "wrong" I am.

Proto freaking Man and Knuckles. This just can't get any better. I do agree that the artwork look rather fan-arty but who cares, freaking Proto Man and Knuckles teaming up.

I'm excited for this.

Knuckles being the Proto-Man of the series caught me off guard, until I realized how much sense it made.

Last I checked Archie, Sonic was an obnoxious prat,

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Ironic in that you're claiming this crossover to suck and fail, yet the people it's marketed towards are looking forward to it. I think I know what "irony" is, so let's drop the assholish attitude.

I never said it would fail. I said it was stupid. I'm sure there are a lot of stupid people out there that will lap this crap right up so I have no doubt it'll sell well.

Cigarettes sell well, doesn't mean they're a good thing.

Also I'd gladly drop the asshole act when you do. Hypocrite.

Heck, you could apply that to the Sonic Universe crossover in that they put a degree of focus off the game cast while connecting it to the main comic and one would have to buy those just to keep up with everything when they don't want to buy the Universe. What advice would you give them for that scenario?

Um what?

I'm complaining that Archie feel the need to involve Megaman into the main series of the comic thusly forcing regular Sonic readers and collectors to buy an otherwise useless comic series just to keep up with the story or keep their collection complete.....and you manage to focus on the Sonic Universe side of things...? Well done.

I already stated fans had voiced their annoyance at SU arcs pretty much becoming required reading material to keep up with the main story even though Archie had slated SU as a series that was on the side and did nothing besides adding more story and depth to the series but not needed to understand what was going on in the main series.

Way to deflect the argument.

No it isn't alright to make people buy SU, but (and this is the main point here) at least it's a Sonic comic. I will gladly buy it because I know what I am getting and know it will be good, even though it's sneaky of Archie to do.

Simply because it's not a problem at all right now, and you're only making it out to be one out of sheer spite between the idea. Archie wanted to release this as a non-separate thing. I'm not going to judge them as being stupid just because they're making a crossover in the main series. And as far as I know, it's a bridge between two series to finally meet after 20 years.

So you think that Archie forcing Sonic comic readers to go out and buy Megaman is ok to just let that slide?

Archie could and should have easily made this a side thing, therefore not upsetting the main series and not making fans who couldn't care less about some other series have to buy them, but of course they went the greedy route so they can score more money off of making fans from either series have to buy extra comics.

Crossovers are never in the main series simple as that.

I'll reserve judgement on how bad it is when I actually read them. But right now, complaining about it before it's even out just reeks of being spiteful.

And you supporting their blatant money grabbing just reeks of you being a fan of the idea unable to see this objectively.

I'm pretty damn sure those Marvel fans would find it equally as awesome of Capcom characters were to make an appearance in Ultimate Alliance or Marvel Heroes especially considering the history the two groups have together.

You obviously don't know Marvel fans.

Prior to Marvel Vs Capcom 3 coming out whilst visiting forums I saw much talk of "who cares about such and such Capcom character, just give me more Marvel" you're pretty deluded if you think otherwise.

A crossover game such as the MvC series is made for such shenanigans as crossovers, a proper Marvel game is Marvel characters exclusive. The same should be said for the comic series. Main series is for Sonic only, if they decide to make a spin off it should reside in non-canon world in a seperate series.

Says who? Who decides what should and shouldn't be put into the main storyline? Who says a crossover shouldn't be allowed as part of the story? Who dictates that a crossover in a main story cannot work? Because the highest authorities themselves, Sega and Capcom are said to be in on the crossover as well.

See above^

Exactly what the hell is anyone suppose to think with the words "All Star RACING?" Anything other than?

Lets see; The Sonic Rush tie in not related to Sonic Rush at all, the Sonic Riders tie in not related to Sonic Riders at all, Sonic Adventure tie in not really much like Sonic adventure at all and the SA2 tie in....well I assume you get the idea by now?

Tie ins have never really been much like their games at all in the past. So it has the word "Racing" in the title, what's you point?

You're really arguing that a title has to dictate everything that happens in the comic?

You do know that a writer could write up an interesting story for almost anything if they're good enough. Just because you think racing is boring doesn't mean it is.

Pretty sure that things such as preventing the Rogues from destroying Knothole was less than racing and more of your typical stop the villain from winning his scheme towards world domination considering that the Rogues where hired by Eggman to fight Sonic and destroy his home. They were established as mercenaries than they were racers.

Aaaand missing the point again; I meant the Riders Games.

The Riders games never have much story besides Sonic and Jet racing and the dialogue that goes on while they're racing or preparing for races, up until the last Monster of the week thingy at the end.

I'm pointing at these seeing as you're stating you can't make an interesting story from just racing.

Hey, here's an idea. Take what you just said, and apply that logic to this crossover. For someone who's calling others close minded, you reek of it yourself to the point of hypocrisy.

Or I could remember that I'm a fan of Sonic and I buy a Sonic comic to read about Sonic and the various stories that go on in his world, and that I don't care for Megaman and care even less for the fact I have to buy another series I don't want now just so I can keep up with the series I do want to follow.

Call me closed minded but I say that's being realistic. And way to deflect again.

Well as far as the reality goes, a SaSR comic would be just as unneeded as a Megaman crossover and Archie decided to go with the latter instead. Sega seems to be far more supportive of the crossover with Capcom than a potential All Star Racing comic.

Exactly. Uneeded.

Never said I wanted a SaSR comic, but I'd rather have it out there advertising the game and making money for SEGA, with characters I somewhat have a interest in and that makes sense making a crossover for, than have some uneeded Megaman comic.

So basically, having Megaman involved ruins the big #250 issue? Logic? And what exactly were you saying about being closed minded dude?

Well considering that the stupid crossover is going to take up issues that lead into the big #250, and that a lead up to it is required, yes it does ruin it.

Once this stupid thing is over we'll have less time to build up to the milestone issue, or if the crossover is the thing that leads up to the milestone than that is even worse.

A Sonic comic deserves a Sonic related event to bring it up to #250, not some lame crossover.

And there's the irony again, in that while you see it as set up for failure many others see it as a successful bridge between two very popular franchises.

Who needs a bridge?

And here's the irony, those people will probably end up getting us a worse game than the Mario and Sonic games.

I play Sonic to play Sonic, if I wanna play Call of Duty I'll play call of duty. Do I want the two mixed? No.

Games that work should work so by themselves, crossovers are fine for non-canon mess arounds, but in real games no.

Edited by The-Master-Board

I never said it would fail. I said it was stupid. I'm sure there are a lot of stupid people out there that will lap this crap right up so I have no doubt it'll sell well.

Cigarettes sell well, doesn't mean they're a good thing.

Also I'd gladly drop the asshole act when you do. Hypocrite.

Dude, you are being an asshole.

All because people like this comic doesn't mean they're going to be shit heads because "oh it's megaman and Sonic" It's not a stupid idea that Archie pulled out of their asses at the last minute and fans aren't mindless morons that they can command at their will.

Calm the fuck down, and keep your rants to a minimum.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually thought the Bass and Shadow picture was fan art as well before I fully scrolled down and saw the Archie logo. I mean, it doesn't look bad at all, but yeah, something about it seems a tad off. I dunno.

The strange way they drew Shadow's white tuft, the way these characters don't really go together very well (Bass's story reminds me a lot more of Metal Sonic's), that strangely shaped foot of Bass's (really, you didn't fix that?), And it really doesn't help that Archie's artists don't quite nail the Sonic Channel style. Plus, Shadow's mouth kinda looks traced off the ShtH boss.

Also, what's with the gem on Bass's chest? It's never looked like that in the games AFAIK, and this is his first appearance in the comic, so why would they make him look like that for his debut?

This is really awesome. I honestly feel as if they (Archie) will treat this cross-over with the fan fiction-esque approach it deserves. I mean--not only pairing Sonic vs Mega Man (obviously at some point this will happen, and then they'll be friends), but already alluding to Knuckles vs Proto Man, and Shadow vs Bass--everything just fits so well.

Edited by Wonks

Not sure if this is new or not.

mmsonic02.jpg

Charmy needs a magnifying glass to see him. :/

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 7

This is looking so cool. I can't wait to see this next year! Loving the prominence of Eggman and Wily so far.

Sonic, Megaman, Sonic Universe...

Oh great. So now we have to buy 3 seperate comics to enjoy this? Four if they're gonna do a marvel/DC and have the main line story event too?