Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog CD

Also worth noting are the rings. In some time frames they're stuck in walls, but they can be gotten in the other ones. Also if you get a ring in the Past/Present and travel to the Present/Future respectively, the ring is gone. This doesn't happen the other way round of course, but collecting a ring in the later timeline, then the timeline before doesn't cause a time paradox thankfully :P

They really did consider all the little details here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also worth noting are the rings. In some time frames they're stuck in walls, but they can be gotten in the other ones. Also if you get a ring in the Past/Present and travel to the Present/Future respectively, the ring is gone. This doesn't happen the other way round of course, but collecting a ring in the later timeline, then the timeline before doesn't cause a time paradox thankfully tongue.png

They really did consider all the little details here.

The most rings you can get in Palmtree Panic Zone 1 is 833 even though you can see more, like you said.

The most I have ever managed to collect in PP Zone 1 is 826 rings as Tails. There is a screenshot on the Steam link (attached to my previous post) where I managed to collect 819 rings in a recent playthrough. I am a ring collecting nutcase!!!

I will get 833 one day! It is almost impossible.

I love collecting rings in Sonic CD. I have listed my best totals on the about me page of my profile.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

To add to the previous post regarding the enemies, I love how the time zone effects how dnagerous the enemy is. For example in the present version of Tidal Tempest there is that enemy called 'Taga-Taga (see below) that charges at you and shoots out tiny balls in all directions which can catch you off guard and damage you:

180px-Taga-Taga.png

However in the bad future this enemy can longer charge at Sonic or even shoot our the deadly balls. This is because the enemy is now old, decayed and knackered due to the bad future. So the enemy is techniquely less dangerous and weaker in the bad future. The same effect happens with other enemies in Sonic CD.

So some enemies become weaker in the bad future due to time and the decay. That is fucking awesome!!!

I have attached a link to some screenshots that I took of the Taga-Taga badnik in Tidal Tempest Zone.

http://steamcommunit...43/screenshots/

In the present TT screenshot, if you look closely you can see that the Taga-Taga badnik is already attacking me from a distance (has fired those deadly balls). However, in the bad future screenshot I am right up close to the Taga-Taga enemy and it doesn't attack me at all.

The thing is;

- All Badnik's a brand spanking new in the Past, making them more dangerous.

- The Present time frame has a mix of broken Badnik's and intact ones. If you have destroyed the generator in the past, their numbers have dwindled in the Present.

- Good Future's have no Badnik's whatsoever. The sole exception is Metallic Madness Good Future, which has the giant bomb Badnik's that like to chase you and explode into large projectiles and the three Hotaru Badnik's that attack you before the final boss.

- And Bad Future Badnik's are all broken down. I guess it's debateable whether or not it's their age or whether it's the horrific state of the surroundings. I guess that it's a combination of both that makes them ruined.

Also, some Badnik's sprites don't appear to be broken when they are. An example is the beetle Badnik in Palmtree Panic that looks identical to it's unbroken sprite yet crawls slower and cannot fire projectiles out of it's back.

What I also find extremely interesting about Sonic CD's Badnik's is that every single one of them is based on an insect. Even these;

unknown_06_a.gifunknown_12.gif

Now you'd think that the Badnik on the left and the one on the right were a fish and a chick respectively. You're actually wrong. The Badnik on the left is based on a Dragonfly larvae, hence why it's in the waters of Tidal Tempest. Because Dragonfly larvae spend their time underwater until they turn into adults. The Badnik on the right is actually based on a Mosquito. The names of these Badnik's were never revealed in the JP manual but their coding in CD refers to them as a Dragonfly larva and a Mosquito respectively.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 3

The full list of the Sonic CD badniks is:

This badnik:

Kama-Kama.PNG

Is another example of an enemy that in the present of Collision Chaos Zone throws the fucking annoying 'scythes' that cut Sonic down to size, but in the bad future does not attack at all.

The level of detail in this game is quite simply out of this world. Staggering.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realised what is probably a bit of Fridge Brilliance.

Tonbo is a Dragonfly Badnik in Tidal Tempest. Yago is a Dragonfly Larve Badnik in Tidal Tempest.

Intentional connection?

Though I have always wondered why Ga Badnik's in Collision Chaos drop that harmless sparkle dust. Maybe, just maybe it had relation to these unused Sonic sprites;

eyelids.png

The sparkle dust would make Sonic sneezy and open momentarily to attack? Just a theory. It's just quite odd how the Ga Badnik's drop that sparkly powder and it has no actual function.

How do you feel about the Original Sonic CD style physics, charge up Spindash/Super Peel-Out?

Personally I actually really like the original style physics. For a start they aren't that different from Sonic 2/3's style and thus are a lot easier to adapt to compared to the odd Sonic 4 physic's.

What I find interesting is that when you use Sonic 2 style, if you use the spindash and then try and make a big jump to reach a high platform, if you press the d-pad in the direction you are moving, this helps Sonic move a little further. However, with the original style physics, if you press the d-pad in the direction your moving while in the air after using the spindash, then Sonic slows right down and his momentum is almost completely lost. In effect he nearly drops 'like a rock'. Now where have I heard that term before?

So you must not press the d-pad using the original physic's. To compensate for this so called weakness the original style spindash and Super Peel-Out is more powerful than the Sonic 2's spindash. Yes you have to charge the spindash/super peel out up (it doesn't bother me at all), but when you release the charged up spindash you are going at full speed and it really helps with time travelling and trying get up those awkward slops. In effect the original style is perfectly suited to Sonic CD's gameplay and if anything the Sonic 2 spindash feels weaker.

SonicDoingSuperPeelOut.png

When I play using the Sonic 2 physics, 99% of the time I use the Super Peel-Out and ignore the Sonic 2 spindash because the Super Peel-Out is more powerful, faster and the figure of eight (Sonic's feet) looks awesome.

What do you think?

Was the only one who didn't care for Cosmic Eternity?

I didn't think it was that great. I prefer the slow, full version of Sonic Boom.

I didn't think it was that great. I prefer the slow, full version of Sonic Boom.

Eh... well, it's not my style.

*Puts Flame Shield on* I'd say it's overrated, but if you like it, no problem. Just a personal taste. ^_^

In prefer the US opening track, Sonic Boom and I prefer the JP ending track, Cosmic Eternity.

Sonic Boom > You Can Do Anything

Cosmic Eternit > Sonic Boom ending version

Though I love all of them.

For a start they aren't that different from Sonic 2/3's style and thus are a lot easier to adapt to compared to the odd Sonic 4 physic's.

I'd say that they are worse than Sonic 4's physics.

For example, with Sonic 4, there is no aerial momentum, but if you hold it it still somewhat replicates Sonic 2's controls. Sonic CD, because of the weirdness of the speed cap's implementation with the physics engine, you need to explicitly train yourself to not play the game like it is Sonic 2 or you will miss jumps, screw up gaps and get shot in directions you don't want to go in. To say nothing about how the game absolutely freaks out if you hit a horizontal/diagonal spring or attempt to use a pinball flipper.

The tl;dr of this is that Sonic 4 does control poorly, but it as at least in a way that logically consistent with itself and generally not in a way that is particularly grievous if you've just come off of playing Sonic 2 or whatever. CD controls poorly, and it constantly changes tack with why.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd say that they are worse than Sonic 4's physics.

For example, with Sonic 4, there is no aerial momentum, but if you hold it it still somewhat replicates Sonic 2's controls. Sonic CD, because of the weirdness of the speed cap's implementation with the physics engine, you need to explicitly train yourself to not play the game like it is Sonic 2 or you will miss jumps, screw up gaps and get shot in directions you don't want to go in. To say nothing about how the game absolutely freaks out if you hit a horizontal/diagonal spring or attempt to use a pinball flipper.

The tl;dr of this is that Sonic 4 does control poorly, but it as at least in a way that logically consistent with itself and generally not in a way that is particularly grievous if you've just come off of playing Sonic 2 or whatever. CD controls poorly, and it constantly changes tack with why.

I see your point about the Sonic 4 physics. Yes you can get use to them, but I have the same problem with adjusting from Sonic CD to Sonic 4 physics and visa versa. "All look I will homing attack across those spikes, so easy. Oh wait this is Sonic CD physics, NOOOOOO! Just lost all my fucking rings, shit". Stupid Sonic 4 physics!

I got use to Sonic CD's physics because in the Gems Collections that's all you had. They really aren't that bad.

I actually prefer the Sonic 3 physic's, then Sonic 2's, then Sonic CD's.

When I played it on Gems Collection, I thought it was okay. Nothing special, but a solid Sonic game. I didn't really go for all the Time Stones, nor did I attempt a Good Future in any level. However, a few years later it's released on XBLA for $5, and despite not thinking it was anything special previously, I bought it again. This time, however, I tried for all the Time Stones and Good Futures, low and behold, I loved it. The level design is fantastic, the visual style is the best in the series, the music is fantastic, I love the bosses, and overall it's just an extremely well designed game with many memorable moments. It's a physics sandbox in many levels and an absolute joy to just explore the 2D geography. My favorite 2D Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, so I bought the CD port, since I'm bored and it was only 5 bucks. Here's my thoughts:

It's.... okay. It's not really what I hoped it would be based on comments I've read, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

I do like that you can switch between soundtracks, that was a good idea.

The special stages are still shitty as before, but the framerate and fluidity of them are improved. Can't say the same for the stiff control.

The Sonic 2 spindash is a nice addition.

And now for the main thing: the new engine.

I was seeing comments like "the collision detection has been fixed" or "getting to the past is much easier". I've found neither of these to be true so far. In fact in some places, it's worse than I remember it.

However, with all this said, aside from the fucking special stages, I'm having a lot of fun with the port. Definately worth 5$, but not really anything more than that.

EDIT: Revision to the above statement. It was fun until I got to fucking Wacky Workbench and it's god-awful design.

Edited by Solkia-kun

And now for the main thing: the new engine.

I was seeing comments like "the collision detection has been fixed" or "getting to the past is much easier". I've found neither of these to be true so far. In fact in some places, it's worse than I remember it.

The engine fixed a lot of things but I have never heard anyone say that getting to the past has been easier in the enhanced version. In fact, I've heard a whole lot of the contrary. It takes about a secondish longer for the time travelling to kick in, so you have to plan your route that much more carefully. Also since it's a different engine, some of the tricks that worked originally don't any longer. One good example is in Quartz Quadrant with those ziplines.

So yep, your memory isn't tricking you. :P Glad you're having some fun with it though!

Doing time travel actually tends to be "harder," because some of the exploits were removed. It's still easier in the sense that the physics make sense so you can do it easier the right way, but you can't just cheat to do it generally.

I like Sonic CD though it's not my most liked game, but it has an awesome OST (Wacky Workbench JP is my favorite in Sonic general OSTs). And as for the intro/ending I prefer the US versions over the JP ones

It takes (I think) five seconds to time travel in the 2011 version. Whereas it's about 3 seconds in the Gems Collection. For the 2011 version they did remove some of the easier/cheap ways to time travel, like the vertical conveyor belts in Quartz Quadrant.

There are still more than enough areas with springs etc that are diliberately designed to make it easy to time travel. Other than that, if your free running you need to memorise the zone and carefully plan your attempt at building up enough speed to allow time travel.

The maps of the zones on the site 'soniczone0' (which show the locations of all time travel posts and how many) are a great help.

A little while ago, I played CD on the Gems Collection, and well, it wasn't as good as remembered it.

The lag is horrible, I didn't like the screen moving, and the controls were a bit loose.

The Taxman remake fixed those issues, and I would love the DLC.

A little while ago, I played CD on the Gems Collection, and well, it wasn't as good as remembered it.

The lag is horrible, I didn't like the screen moving, and the controls were a bit loose.

The Taxman remake fixed those issues, and I would love the DLC.

The Gems Collections version of CD had quite a few issues, but was by no means a horrible port.

Back when we still had Analogue tv's before digital took over, Sonic CD actually looked pretty dam good and played really nicely. I think the Gems version ran at 50fps (correct me if I am wrong), so naturally it was slightly slower. When I played the Gems version the other day on my digital tv, the game felt horrible. The Gems version simply plays better on analogue tv's IMO.

I have pasted below a post from a member on the SEGA forums. This was a response to a question as to why SEGA had not released DLC (Desert Dazzle & Final Fever) for Sonic CD 2011. Lets be honest, the chances for DLC being released for Sonic CD 2011 are slim to nil, and does the game really need it? Anyway I thought it was an interesting read:

'I've stated this earlier but I think it's because they are having two major releases coming up, Sonic Adventure 2 HD and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, so there is the possibility that perhaps Taxman is working on it or has already worked on it and that SEGA have told him to keep it "quiet" until around end of this year or Q1/2 next year. I don't think they would have anything major around then so that would be great spot to be filled in with the release of Sonic CD DLC.

But we can only hope, I'm sure SEGA wouldn't turn down a decision like this, the original Sonic CD sold millions (partially thanks to it's incredibly low price) so releasing some DLC for it would not be as bad as an idea as releasing DLC for Sonic Generations which of course didn't sell anywhere near but has DLC demand. Rather it would be a really good idea, the DLC would cost perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 of the game price and that is really low and affordable I can see heaps of people buying this (You just gotta let them know the DLC exists for that price and they'll be on their way right away). This would also be a low-risk way to gain SEGA some extra money, especially since it's a digital release and that's what SEGA plans to be focusing on in the future.

So at the moment, it's a possibility and from what things look like it has a good chance of release in the future, but nothing's certain unfortunately. If SEGA chooses not to allow Taxman to release this at all I and others who are wanting this DLC would be really upset that's for sure. One thing I would like to mention is this doesn't even have to be DLC, it could perhaps be included in a new game that Taxman works on, but I don't think I see that happening so I really do hope we see this DLC released in the future.'

What are your thoughts?

SonicCD-Desert-Dazzle.pngPicture-7.png

That boss really does look like an interesting concept.

• Thumbs Up 6

I thought that Sonic Team rejected Desert Dazzle and Final Fever because they wanted this release of CD to be as close to it's original as possible?

That said, both of those stages look awesome and it is disappointing that they weren't included. Is it just me or does that Final Fever screenie take tiles from the industrial and circus stages of Sonic Crackers?

Edited by Verte

Initially i thought Sonic CD was simply a decent title inferior to all the Genesis Sonic titles. Part of the issue was because I originally played the US version with it's accompanying soundtrack which I find/found uninspired. However playing the re-released version totally transformed my opinion of the game. The biggest reason was, again, the music. It felt so much more lively, spirited and appropriate for their respective levels. It really assisted the games already very strong atmosphere.

Furthermore, as I have gotten older I have begun to valuate very strongly the games ecological theme. It expands upon the theme which was originally present in Sonic 1 by exploring the various outcomes brought about through the use of technology. The game offers proposes two opposing destines or visions for the fate of the technological world: One in which technology becomes corrosive and oppressive to the mysterious force of growth and life in the world and creates a world that is dark, diminished and retrograded. The other is a world in which vegetation functions harmoniously with moderated technology.