Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog CD

I have pasted below a post from a member on the SEGA forums. This was a response to a question as to why SEGA had not released DLC (Desert Dazzle & Final Fever) for Sonic CD 2011. Lets be honest, the chances for DLC being released for Sonic CD 2011 are slim to nil, and does the game really need it? Anyway I thought it was an interesting read:

'I've stated this earlier but I think it's because they are having two major releases coming up, Sonic Adventure 2 HD and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, so there is the possibility that perhaps Taxman is working on it or has already worked on it and that SEGA have told him to keep it "quiet" until around end of this year or Q1/2 next year. I don't think they would have anything major around then so that would be great spot to be filled in with the release of Sonic CD DLC.

But we can only hope, I'm sure SEGA wouldn't turn down a decision like this, the original Sonic CD sold millions (partially thanks to it's incredibly low price) so releasing some DLC for it would not be as bad as an idea as releasing DLC for Sonic Generations which of course didn't sell anywhere near but has DLC demand. Rather it would be a really good idea, the DLC would cost perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 of the game price and that is really low and affordable I can see heaps of people buying this (You just gotta let them know the DLC exists for that price and they'll be on their way right away). This would also be a low-risk way to gain SEGA some extra money, especially since it's a digital release and that's what SEGA plans to be focusing on in the future.

So at the moment, it's a possibility and from what things look like it has a good chance of release in the future, but nothing's certain unfortunately. If SEGA chooses not to allow Taxman to release this at all I and others who are wanting this DLC would be really upset that's for sure. One thing I would like to mention is this doesn't even have to be DLC, it could perhaps be included in a new game that Taxman works on, but I don't think I see that happening so I really do hope we see this DLC released in the future.'

What are your thoughts?

SonicCD-Desert-Dazzle.pngPicture-7.png

That boss really does look like an interesting concept.

Desert Dazzle looks like Dust Hill Zone. What's ironic is that they're both scrapped zones.

Mag_compare3a.jpg320px-Sonic-CD-Desert-Dazzle.png

Other than that, I would love to see both stages as DLC.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would really love there to be dlc, especially now that Sega has someone like Taxman to work with their retro titles, but I'm not going to hold my breath till they actually formally announce it. It was Sega that pretty much told Taxman to knock it off with the fancy new stages because they wanted something more "true to the original."

As for zone map resources, I must say that I do love all of Sonic Retro's from their wikis! Never heard of soniczone0 but then again I've been out of the Sonic scene loop for a few years. ^^;

As for zone map resources, I must say that I do love all of Sonic Retro's from their wikis! Never heard of soniczone0 but then again I've been out of the Sonic scene loop for a few years. ^^;

http://www.soniczone0.com/

Worth checking out. Has detailed guides of all levels in Sonic 1, 2 CD, 3 and S&K. The guy: LiQuidshade who does the guides will soon finish his final guide which is S&K. He has been working on guides for eight years. Now that's dedication.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized that part of the reason I've never gotten a Time Stone is that I've been doing it wrong. Somewhere I got the idea (back playing the Sonic Gems version) that I was supposed to get under the UFOs and jump to hit them from below. This is almost guaranteed to fail; but since I'd never played the original, and everyone was complaining how much harder the Special Stages were on Gems, I didn't realize what the problem was. Jumping forward through them is a heck of a lot easier.

Although I still don't get the guides that say the UFOs are yellow and white (or red). All of my UFOs are blue or purple.

Has anyone managed to collect all 100 rings in Stardust Speedway Zone 3 (Metal Sonic race)?

We all know there are 100 rings in every Zone 3 of Sonic CD with the exception of Wacky Workbench 109 rings, and Collision Chaos about 73 rings. I have only ever managed to finish Zone 3 of Metal Madness Zone 3 with 100 rings once, playing as Sonic. The problem being the massive open pit (it's ten times easier at Tails). It is relatively easy to get all the rings in the other Zone 3's (boss acts) with the exception of Stardust Speedway.

I have not been able to collect all 100 rings as Sonic or Tails in Zone 3 of Stardust Speedway. This is the last remaining ultimate challenge. I am sure all 100 rings can be collected, but it is very hard to remember where the rings are in that zone, as there are some rings up on higher routes and on lower routes.

Has anyone ever managed to get all 100 rings on Stardust Speedway Zone 3? If so, you are fucking awesome!

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I have been able to beat act 3 without getting hit a few times but I have never done this. I am now willing to try this madness for myself but something tells me that using Sonic will be masochism incarnate.

I have been able to beat act 3 without getting hit a few times but I have never done this. I am now willing to try this madness for myself but something tells me that using Sonic will be masochism incarnate.

Yes I agree. I have attached below the map of Stardust Speedway Zone 3 (good future). You can see just how crazy/hard it is to get 100 rings. I am going to try and get 100 rings, god help me! If my some miracle I succeed I will attach a screenshot.

scd-ss-zone3cmap.png

Click on the map to enlarge it

... ...Oh yeah I wish much luck to all who try this! Apparently backtracking on the little time limit you have is mandatory if you want to get everything. That ending just makes me so sad looking at it! xD If you can do this, all of my likes will pour into that pic. All of them. For days.

I've been recently playing the Gems port of this game, and I must say, it's quite fun. The gameplay is pretty good, and I do love the level design. Plus, I thought the whole time travel concept was pretty damn cool. The Spin Dash sucks when it comes to charging up though, and I absolutely hate the Collision Chaos boss arena.

Yes I agree. I have attached below the map of Stardust Speedway Zone 3 (good future). You can see just how crazy/hard it is to get 100 rings. I am going to try and get 100 rings, god help me! If my some miracle I succeed I will attach a screenshot.

scd-ss-zone3cmap.png

Click on the map to enlarge it

This is my best attempt playting as Tails so far. Got 94 rings (out of a 100).

97 rings is definitely do able, but so hard because Robotnik keeps killing me towards the end of the level. I don't think 100 rings is possible because near the end of the level you have to backtrack to get the three rings on the lower route which is just not achieveable, because Robotnik is too close by then.

http://steamcommunit...43/screenshots/

It's the screenshot under the 3rd August on my Steam link.

EDIT: 96 rings is now my highest total. Tried about 40 times just could not get 97. Kept getting killed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty good attempt! I haven't been able to attempt the challenge because reasons but I'm willing to guess that I won't get anything higher than 80 rings. Heh.

Here are some screen grabs from my pc Sonic CD game's movies. They're... much granier than I remember them being but I guess a '95 game would be that way.

soniccdend1.png

soniccdend4.png

And for some reason the opening movie refuses to play. All I get is the Sonic Boom theme play with no animation. x'D

• 2 weeks later...

I found this youtube video of Palmtree Panic Zone 2. It's a speedrun from a really weird perspective. Pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing Tidal Tempest Zone 3 in Sonic CD earlier today and I discovered a second shield box in that zone which I had never found before.

In all Zone 3's of Sonic CD there is one shield box, with the exception of Stardust Speedway which does not contain a shield box.

Well it turns out that there are two shield boxes in Tidal Tempest Zone 3. We all know of the shield box which is in a small room to the left, just below the small room that contains three 10 ring boxes. However, this other shield box I found is right at the top of the level. If you look at the map below, as soon as you start the level there is a small diagonal slop. As soon as you get to the bottom of that slop, if you stop dead then you will fall down an invisible tube into a small room with a shield box. There is a spring to the right which allows you to bounce back up to the normal level.

Did anyone else know of this extra shield box because it has taken me seven years of playing the game to find it.

Anyway, I think this is a really cool find.

scd-tt-zone3cmap.png

I have attached a link to my Steam profile. I took some screenshots which shows the shield box.

http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=94779439

Edited by NightwingFox

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bumping this thread.

I recently downloaded (kega) Fusion as I wanted to play a few older games via emulation. This has allowed me to play Knuckles Chaotix (as Fusion supports Genesis, Mega CD and 32x).

Now, I am quite a fan of Sonic CD as you may have gathered. I first played CD on the Gems collection port. I then got Whitehead's enhanced version for Steam and PS3. However, I never played the original Mega CD version of the game and I was curious has to how that version played and felt.

I decided to play the Mega CD version using Fusion, having just listened to the Sonic The Hedgehog remix album (which Somecallmejohnny recommended in the favourite soundtrack thread), which contains remixs (composed by Naofumi Hataya and Masafumi Ogata) of some of the Jp tracks.

So I managed to get Sonic CD working on fusion and I have just done a playthrough of it. The emulation has the original Jp soundtrack, although it has Sonic Boom for the open and ending tracks for some reason, and not Sonic - You Can Do Anything (Toot Toot Sonic Warrior).

scd-bginfo-detailsimg1.jpg

I found that he emulation plays pretty well. It has certain issues like the very poor collision detection, which is also noticeable in the gems port. The special stages are frustratingly slow. I was used to how poor they handle as it's similar on the gems port. I still managed to get all the Time Stones (all 7 in 8 attempts).

Sonic's jumping seems slightly more powerful (could reach further) than in the other ports. The boss sequences/movements seemed to be slightly quicker than the 2011 re-release.

The music sounds excellent and the opening and ending cutscenes (whilst pretty poor looking compared to the recent ports) is still nice.

scd-misc-animationsimg27.png

All in all I am glad that I got to experience (very close to) what the Mega CD version was like.

So, has anyone played Sonic CD on the Mega CD and/or via emulation? What do you think of either version? 

Edited by Nightwing

So, has anyone played Sonic CD on the Mega CD and/or via emulation? What do you think of either version?

I got a Mega CD for my 18th birthday with Sonic CD. This was before Gems Collection was released. There is a difference between the Mega CD original and the Gems Collection version in that it takes noticeably longer to instigate the time warp in the original version than it does in Gems Collection and Stardust Speedway's boss plays the Bad Future theme if you're in the Good Future (Gems Collection version does not do this).

I consider Sonic CD to be the best Sonic game ever made and it's very close to being my favourite Sonic game (Only Unleashed HD and Generations HD are more favored). It gets so many things perfectly right IMO; The fantastic soundtrack (EU/JP), the genius design of the zones in different time periods that expertly drives across the game's environmental message without shoving it down your throat and have an effect on level layout. the fantabulous animated opening and ending and the very inventive bosses.

Dayum, saying all this makes me want to fire up my 360 and play the definitive 2011 remake.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have quite a few copies of the original version of the game. 3 different ones on the Sega CD, each with a different style of box (original VHS-sized CD case. Regular jewel case and the pack-in-style cardboard case). A burned copy of the 9-20 beta. A burned copy with custom music for the lulz. The PC port and Gems Collection. I dislike every one to the extent that I find them pretty much unplayable. See

Edited by Tornado

I'll be honest, I never thought this game was great. I mean, it's a good Sonic game, but it's but to call it the best classic Sonic game is a bit of a stretch to me.

For one, the level design is some parts is a chore to get through, if not outright frustrating. Take Collision Chaos "Zone" 2; those egg-like things that you have to break to get to the rest of the level. What purpose do they serve other than to consume time? In Act 1, there's this sort of "tube" of bumpers you can go down to get to a Past sign.  Trying to actually get through that tube is just annoying. Hopefully, you already hit a Past sign earlier in the level, so you don't have to go after that one. Less annoying is that yard of springs (no pun intended), also from Zone 1.

Then in Tidal Tempest, there are currents that take all control away from you and usually put you back to where you were before you ran into it. Not tom mention that the level is kinda dull in and of itself.

Then there's the bouncy floors in Wacky Workbench. There's one part in particular in Zone 1 where the floor bounces you up into this dead end where you have to make your way back down again. If your jump is off, you just get bounced back up again. It's incredibly annoying and frustrating.

Even Stardust Speedway, which is probably my favorite level in the game, has an annoying part; in Zone 2, there's a series of tubes you have to navigate Sonic through. It's pretty confusing to go through, and if you don't follow the path you're meant to go in exactly, you just go back to another tube.

Metallic Madness Zone 3 has the only bottomless pit in the game (thankfully), but it's still incredibly frustrating to try and traverse. Metallic Madness as a whole is also a nightmare to "speedrun".

Secondly, the game is awfully slow for a Sonic title (yeah yeah, Sonic labyrinth, shush, that's not the point). The only really fast level in the game is Stardust Speedway. In any other level, you only go fast when time traveling. In an LP of the game, the LPer actually addressed this comment saying, "IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FAST!" But... isn't Sonic's thing being a fast platformer? Is it me, or am I seeing a double standard here? Why is it a problem when Sonic games are too fast, but when they're slow like this, it's perfectly fine (again, I know, Sonic Labyrinth. The existence of that game doesn't make this one any faster)? Just like Sonic Unleashed focused too much on speed and not enough on platforming, this one put too much emphasis on platforming and not enough on speed (actually, Sonic Colors did this very thing, too).

Lastly, the Special Stages. I can't stand them. The depth perception is awful. There have been plenty of times when I SWEAR I hit a UFO, only to find that I missed it by that much as it suddenly steers to the left or right of me.

Also, the obstacles are a MAJOR pain. If you hit those chomper things on the ground, you trip and stay there for a couple seconds. That couple seconds is time you could've spent knocking out those UFOs. The boost arrows do little besides either thrusting you past a UFO, or push you away from one. The bumpers make you lose control of Sonic, and if you're really careless, you can accidentally jump into the water surrounding the stage.

Speaking of which, the water. I HATE the water. Stepping in water eats up your time, and it can really screw you over if you hit a chomper right before a small river, as it stops you while you're in the water, taking away more of your time that much faster. This also links back to when I said that the bumpers could make you jump into the water around the stage. If this happens you have to try and jump your way back to the stage and hope you don't lose that much time and can still destroy all the UFOs in time.

The things that are supposed to help you don't really help you at all. There are fans that send you floating into the air in order to have a better shot at a UFO. This only works some​ of the time; when you're in the air like this, you can only make wide turns, and there are times when a UFO is just too far offscreen to reach. The springs will likely launch onto the road, a trap, or worse, the water. You can control your movements after you've been launched, but landing on a UFO is kind of a crapshoot..

TL;DR: Sonic CD is good, but it's not great,

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

I like CD quite a lot, but I think a lot of it is the uniqueness and the surreal style of the whole thing, as well as having two soundtracks to choose from. I'd still say 3&K is definitely better, and if CD just had a typical style akin to 2 or 3&K rather than being more surreal, it probably wouldn't be as popular, the aesthetics really go a long way with this one.

Sonic CD is a good game, it's pretty fun to play, however getting to the past is a pain and there usually is only one or two areas per zone that you can keep enough speed up.

I find the special stages a pain and I have yet to complete one, however this is probably due to my lack of skill.it took me a while to realise the water took your time away as it doesn't tell you anywhere!

The music is amazing, especially the JP/EU soundtrack and really fits with the levels and time frames. The time travel gimmick is a great idea and could have been implemented slightly better, making it slightly easier to change time zone or changing the criteria as you can only usually see 2 potentially 3 time zones per zone

All in all, good game, worth playing but not really my cup of tea. Exploration of zones is fun if not a little tedious at times with the more difficult to transverse levels, although it did introduce Metal Sonic and actually gave eggman a sort if presence (the bad futures)

I'll have to agree with Thapoint09 (temp)

The level design can get pretty clunky especially in Wacky Worbench. Where the only level design you're getting in act one is a long stretched bouncy floor which bounces you upward to useless parts of the level and moving platforms near the floor which you want to avoid. It can get really frustrating if you want to get across the platforms, you miss a jump and now you have to get all the way down again.

I don't care about the robot generators because getting to them is really a pain to me. If you lose your past sign you have to search for another one which can be really annoying if you've already lost quite a lot of them. That means you can run around for minutes before finding one you didn't already use. 

I do like the special stages though and I wish those would return to some of the portable Sonic games.

The Japanese soundtrack I also really love for just how over the top it is.

I still kinda like the game but maybe it's just nostalgia talking.

The only problem I had with Sonic CD was the music. It was different, and not as good as the Sega CD version. No "Sonic Boom"? What the hell, Sega?

I used to own a copy of the Sega CD version, and I might buy another one soon. I'm buying another Sega CD console tomorrow.