Awoo.

Would you miss the Boost?

PerfectChaos

I personally will miss the boost, it's given me a lot of fun moments in the series. That feel when you flawlessly speed run a level (especially Unleashed's Rooftop Run and Modern Green Hill) is fantastic, satisfying, and it's something I'll never get tired of.

Despite all this, I fully welcome the parkour gameplay and I hope Sonic Team expand and improve on this mechanic, just like they did with the boost. Bringing the Spin Dash back has numbed the pain of losing of it, at least. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 2

My biggest issue with the boost is how automated it is. If it was made to be based around momentum, then I'm sure it could work well.

I agree with Dio mostly. The new gameplay style is nice and all. But like always, it doesn't seem like it's being fully used to it's best. I mean look at the 4 stages (Wii-u version) we've seen so far. Only one of them actually uses the Parkour system fairly well. The rest, eh. You have that on rails running crap that was started in 2006, the 2D gameplay the series has brought back in Unleashed and then we have wisp powers. Yeah the few that they kept are by far the best ones.....next to Frenzy. That was awesome. 2/3 of the new one are pretty cool too. But I want to see this Parkour system used to it's max. Hell I hope that one of the last levels in the game is a Parkour heavy stage. Not 2D, not on rails. Straight Parkour and Wisp powers. And when I say wisp powers, I mean completely optional. Not something that forces you to use just to get to the next part of the stage.

I'll miss the Boost though. After finally getting it right in Generations, they threw it away. Not something I would suggest but it's whatever now. 

Who in their right mind would miss the boost? Every single Sonic title that has the boost in it is extremely linear. All you do in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations is hold down a button to boost, unless you occasionally make it to the point were you have to jump or homing attack. Those games could be easily beatable in one day if the controls didn't suck, and if I didn't have to go through Original the Werehog maps that aren't even fit for a Sonic game @Sonic Unleashed.

I think they should scrap the boost and bring back the spin dash. I miss having it in the modern games...

Yes, it's my favorite gameplay style

I like quick games that test your reflexes and stuff, enemies could be plowed through in all boost gameplay games but the real challenge came from being quick enough to duck, sidestep and jump over obstacles. It's really rewarding when you memorise a stage and you can speed throught it flawlessly.

I'm Sonic The Hedgehog, I expect to go fast.

Edit: Silly me, I forgot I already posted in this topic, didn't even check because it's been so long since I've been here. My opinion has changed.

Edited by Alice T

As other have said, it's not so much about the boost or the run button as it is about what the level design does with it.

And it doesn't seem like SLW's level design will bring a better use of Sonic's new abilities than the others brought along the boost.

• 3 weeks later...

I would miss the boost a lot. There could have been at least one or two more games to mess around with the boost formula like Generations did. So much potential from a risk and reward system like this, but the same thing happened with the Adventure formula. Oh well.

Personally though, the only real reason I like the Boost so much is because Sonic gets a light blue speed cone around him when he does it. It's fun to just zip by a stage from time to time, but the aura thing made it so much better to do for me. If there was some other way for Sonic to get a similar aura around him, I wouldn't grieve too much for the boost.

Yeah, I would miss the Boost.

I'm like Celestia. I like games that test my reflexes. I like games where I have to act quickly - I found running through the levels in Unleashed and Generations (not so much Colors because the Boost is pretty slow in comparison) and using the Boost in conjuction with the Drift and the Sidestep and the Slide to speed through them. I'm not saying the boost is perfect, but I still loved it and I'm gonna miss it in Lost World.

I wouldn't miss the boost at all. 

This is my opinion, but I feel like the boost may have ruined Sonic a little bit, I mean that in the Unleashed formula. 

I'm NOT saying that Unleashed, Colors, or Generations was bad, don't get me wrong I liked those games. But it just didn't feel a lot like how it should, once again, I'll use the Adventure games to compare with this: With the use of Boost, it replaces the Spin Dash (unless you want to count the drifting technique in Generations as the Spin Dash), and it also makes you have to earn Sonic's top speed, which I don't think you should have to do. 

I remember some guy on YouTube reviewing some Sonic game and saying that we should already have the ability to reach Sonic's full speed without having to earn it, without it you're going pretty damn slow, which is a total bummer for me. Not only did you have the Spin Dash in the Adventure games, but you didn't have to do much to reach Sonic's top speed. Pretty much you would just run for a few seconds and you'd be there, almost instant. Another thing, with the Boosting, it seems that the games are less free roaming (to a point), to where it feels like you're almost playing the game as an "on-rail" kind of game, to where you can only go 1 way. To some people that's okay, and I'm fine with that, but I just like it better when I can go wherever the hell I want with Sonic instead of remaining on an already set path. I know in some of the boosting games you can choose different paths, but that's not exactly what I'm meaning from all this. Kind of like the game feeling like a racing game instead of a Sonic game. 

Honestly, I think the Sonic Rush games do the best with Boost, it just seems more appropriate to have the Boost in a 2D game instead of 3D.