Awoo.

Would you miss the Boost?

PerfectChaos

Sonic should be a platformer with speed, not speed with platforming.

Definitely A-OK without it, and a reintroduction of the Spin Dash and spin attack is more than welcome to me. Knowing how the general public feels about Sonic though (gotta go fast), I'm sure we won't be seeing the boost leave any time soon, though, if ever.

Edited by Azukara

Not that I wouldn't or would miss it, I would just prefer them to not design the game around it.

Though if it's gone I will miss being able to have a jesus-like Sonic running on water for extended periods of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The spin dash can be used for far more things, plus it's more iconic and akin to Sonic's natural abilities as a hedgehog.

The Spin Dash is used to get the player moving immediately while simultaneously giving him a high defense, and maybe it's good for a few activation puzzles here and there. In other words, it has just as much utility as the boost.

• Thumbs Up 2

The boost can make for satisfying speed runs and all but I agree I wouldn't miss it... okay, I'd miss is the non-falling air boost or the stomp+boost combo but they are more Colors DS/Generations 3DS things if anything. Otherwise I kinda wish they would take it out and slow Sonic down.

Make it so clever use of Spin Dash and remembering shortcuts can make you zoom through a level, rather than gottagofast being the default ideal. Tweak the sliding code a bit and you'll already have decent workable "momentum physics" in the Generations engine, just make the slide a roll and exaggerate it, like a better take on that Fixed Generations mod.

I, personally, would honestly miss it. After getting so used to it via speedrunning and for just casually cruising through levels, I would really miss just having a quick and easy way to fly forward without having to worry about the gravity and momentum mechanics of rolling and the spindash. It drives a lot of people nuts, as evident enough by this topic, but it's one of those things that just puts the replayability and general fun factor of the Modern gameplay up higher than the rest for me.

Of course, if the level design and general gameplay wasn't built for it, that's an entirely different matter. But if it was another Unleashed formula game, I'd certainly be disheartened by the lack of a sudden speed mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 1

After generations, I kinda think that a lot of the levels actually would have been better without the boost. That's just me. But if some people want their boost to stay then that's them. Not going to tell them otherwise.

Edited by Sora
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not that I wouldn't or would miss it, I would just prefer them to not design the game around it.

Though if it's gone I will miss being able to have a jesus-like Sonic running on water for extended periods of time.

s3-hz-structureimg3.png

%7Boption%7Dthat one bit in Sonic Advance 2 that I was totally able to find a picture of goes here%7Boption%7D

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 5

The Spin Dash is used to get the player moving immediately while simultaneously giving him a high defense, and maybe it's good for a few activation puzzles here and there. In other words, it has just as much utility as the boost.

However the spindash is limited by momentum, plus it's nowhere near as fast as the boost. And speaking of spammy Sonic moves, I feel the homing attack almost obliterates any challenge in enemies.....though that's probably not the right time to discuss this xP

However the spindash is limited by momentum, plus it's nowhere near as fast as the boost. And speaking of spammy Sonic moves, I feel the homing attack almost obliterates any challenge in enemies.....though that's probably not the right time to discuss this xP

Because jumping on enemies in 3D is akward.

The only difference being, the spin dash doesn't completely break the game and the levels aren't designed entirely around it. If that's the case, it shouldn't really matter to anybody if they used the spin dash or the boost, but I imagine people would want the spin dash simply for it's iconic placement in the series. The spin dash still let's you go fast, so I don't know why it matters if it's gone or not, the bottom line is: it goes fast.

Edited by The Batman

However the spindash is limited by momentum, plus it's nowhere near as fast as the boost.

While I don't disagree with that, it's irrelevant to the point being put forth that the Spin Dash has more uses than the boost, which I disagree with vehemently.

Meh, not particularly. I mean we were just fine without it before, I think we can survive without it again. Just a nitpick but I'm not really a fan of the distortion it causes to the music and scenery. I do think it can exist in harmony with the other moveset though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it even possible for the boost to be created to be more similar to the spindash? Cause that would be amazing.

Is it even possible for the boost to be created to be more similar to the spindash? Cause that would be amazing.

I'm pretty sure there is if they bothered to think of uses for it beyond going fast, and faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not at all.

I mean, the only reason the boost has worked is because Sonic still has pathetic speed on his own. I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as some games, but Sonic's normal speed is still rather slow.

In the games before Unleashed excluding 06 Sonic was rather fast on his own, now he simply relies on the boost for speed he should all ready have..

Plus the spindash is amazing and I miss IT.

Actually, Spindash can be faster than boost at times, because the speed cap is higher/less obvious. Chemical Plant Zone, for example.

Edited by PerfectChaos

The only difference being, the spin dash doesn't completely break the game and the levels aren't designed entirely around it. If that's the case, it shouldn't really matter to anybody if they used the spin dash or the boost, but I imagine people would want the spin dash simply for it's iconic placement in the series. The spin dash still let's you go fast, so I don't know why it matters if it's gone or not, the bottom line is: it goes fast.

The boost is not broken nor have most of the levels in any modern game been designed entirely around the boost. You literally cannot continually use it and expect to survive most levels. Besides, considering the classics' curvy level design, they themselves are designed around rolling and by extension the Spin Dash as well, which is actually perfectly fine; There's really nothing wrong with designing a game around a maneuver.

Anyway, the Spin Dash lets you go fast on the same terrain that allows you to boost on it at high speeds; otherwise it's inherently limited anywhere else and you might as well either run or jump your way past the obstacles. However, there are still differences: momentum-based limitations and the common quirk that you have to be completely still to use the Spin Dash, and it is these differences that will make a person favor one move over the other. I happen to like the idea that Sonic does not need rolling hills to make use of an ability that should be innate to him, much like I prefer Mario being an acrobatic prodigy on his own without outside influence, hence why I advocate for future game designs that would allow Sonic to continue to be fast whilst currently throwing in my chips with the boost.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

On the whole matter of level design I agree on most of what people have said. Sega/ST make the boost the center of most of the levels in unleashed. That creates a problem because the levels aren't that creative then. Generations attempted to fix that by having less of a focus on boost in many stages(GHZ gtfo)and make them more on platforms. The problem with that is that the boost was still there and since sonic was still created and intended for the boost created slippery gameplay and a unneeded skill that the levels didn't even require. So their getting there. If they Could mash the boost in a game where the level design supports it while perhaps being creative,fun and not linear, perhaps the boost could stay.However chances of that are as big as generations getting DLC.

Edited by Sora

Here's a video that, if you disregard the nondirectional level design that was clearly made for testing purposes only, shows 3D Sonic with the boost along with Spindash, shields, underwater travel, momentum physics, etc. all seemingly harmonized and completely in 3D. This how I think Sonic should play. Is the boost in harmony here? Take a look and decide:

Also, off topic but a part in this video is also in favor of the Spindash>>>>Slide debate :D

• Thumbs Up 6

Isn't that the fan game in which people confused its art assets for Generations material? I just suddenly recognized the stripe-y Green Hill.

Anyway, Sonic seems to have a lot of cornering ability while boosting. It actually works.

Would I miss the Boost? Yes and No. I say yes because I have gotten use to using it. I was playing Heroes on Sonic's birthday and I would mash the B button expecting a boost. But if it was taken away I would just get use to it.

I could say the same for Mario, he used to be a platformer, now all he does is stupid party games.

EDIT: The "New" series is pretty decent, as is the latest 3D game. But how long will it last?

No you couldn't. Mario games are not momentum based. They never have been. What on earth are you talking about?

Sonic games used to be all about using momentum to get to a high speed, then using that against the physics to reach new places. The boost destroys that. If you've played any of the classic/adventure games, you'll know what I'm talking about. (Specifically the classics)

A little, to be 100% honest. But I'm up 2 the return of the peel-out. If the spindash can be made in 3D, why the peel-out couldn't?

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2