Awoo.

The Amazing Spider Man (Comic Series)

Soniman

We have numerous topics on Sipder Man, might as well create a topic on where it all began.

Ever since his first appearence in Amazing Fantasy, Sipder Man has become a household name in the comic industry, and is among the most popular characters, ceartainly up there with the likes of Superman and Batman.

Now to be honest, I haven't really followed these comics, and im espically discouraged after the train wreck known as One More Day. 5 years later and I heard ramblings that it hasn't gotten much better since then.

Where do you stand on this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now I'm not all that impressed with the series.

Okay I just started re-reading Spider-man again due to the Ends of the Earth story that recently concluded. IMHO much like The Amazing Spider-man movie it really should've been better than what we got.

I mean it's a dying Doctor Ocktopus literally holding the world hostage and fooling the general public into thinking that he can and shall heal the planet from pollutions, and O-zone layer damages. And while the beging was strong towards the end it was so predictable, I mean insultingly predictable. You could literally tell how this would all end, and what would happen with Doc Ock.

Edit: Can we also discuss the Ultimate Spider-man in this thread? The comic, not the godawful cartoon.

Edited by Balding Spider

Discuss any Spider Man comic series you want, given that he has about 20 of them.

Creating a topic for each one would be incredibly confusing and not needed.

The Amazing Spider-Man has been rendered completely obsolete by the vastly superior Ultimate Spider-Man comic, in my opinion. If you're going to start reading Spider-Man, that's the way to go.

The Amazing Spider-Man has been rendered completely obsolete by the vastly superior Ultimate Spider-Man comic, in my opinion. If you're going to start reading Spider-Man, that's the way to go.

I've been meaning to get into that series, especially after Peter's death. The Ultimate series always appealed to me more anyway.

Discuss any Spider Man comic series you want, given that he has about 20 of them.

Creating a topic for each one would be incredibly confusing and not needed.

Cool, I look forward to hearing peoples thougths on Miles finally getting to meet the Ultimates soon.

I never cared for Ultimate Spider-Man. It changed too much of what made the original so good. Plus I hate most of the villain redesigns especially Ultimate Green Goblin or Hulk-Goblin as some people call him.

The main Spider-Man book has been crappy since One More Day. And until OMD is undone I refuse to read it.

Edited by Vampfox

I never cared for Ultimate Spider-Man. It changed too much of what made the original so good. Plus I hate most of the villain redesigns especially Ultimate Green Goblin or Hulk-Goblin as some people call him.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious as to what changes there were to "what made the original good".

Spider-Man: Blue is great, love that book.

I recommend Kraven's Last Hunt as well, oh yeah, continue the recommendation of Ultimate as well, still give the 60s original Stan Lee run a go, they're ridiculous and absolutely hilarious (DEFEATING SANDMAN WITH A GIANT VACCUM CLEANER YEAH).

Spider-Men is pretty good so far, miniseries about 616 Peter and current Ultimate Spidey Miles Morales crossing over, go check it.

I've honestly never read a spiderman comic... though one time a kid traded me an old old issue of The Amazing Spider-Man #2 with a certificate and all that still wrapped in plastic... Being the dumbass brat that I was at the time, I lost it sad.png... Might pick up an omnibus or something to get into the series *shrug*

Edited by Silencer

I never cared for Ultimate Spider-Man. It changed too much of what made the original so good.

That's the entire point of the Ultimate universe. New and different take on the Marvel superhero universe that was it's own and wasn't muddled down with years of continuity making it easily accessible for newcomers.

I remember one issue I bought a long time ago, dont remember the issue but it was a story where Flash Thompson impersonates Spider Man and Dr Doom kidnapped him, it was pretty funny.

Carlie Cooper was named after Queasadas Kid? Ugh, I'm starting to see more similarities between him and Loeb who also named a new characters after his son.

ultNova0.jpg

Yup the asshole Nova is named after Loebs kid.

I've only read Ultimate Spider-Man, although, I do recall reading one of the 616 comics while in a store during the whole One More Day thing just to see what all the controversy was about.

All I can say is I really like Ultimate (THE COMIC). Peter Parker was awesome and it was sad that he died, but I absolutely love Miles Morales. Seriously, that kid is awesome. And freaking adorable.

When I first heard there was going to be a storyline titled "Spider-Men", I was worried they were going to resurrect Peter or something. Not bringing characters back from the dead is one of my favourite things about the Ultimate universe, it keeps things interesting and makes deaths of major characters actually mean something in the long term. So yeah, I'm glad it's just a crossover. At least Miles gets to meet a Peter Parker, I suppose...

I used to *love* Amazing Spider-Man. I had the 40th anniversary CD-ROM collection that had issues #1-500, and I read each and every one of them. But after One More Day undid 20+ years of character development and brought back dead characters for no reason, it practically became an entirely different series with 50 years worth of backstory from an alternate universe tacked onto it. I still kept up for a while after OMD, but it's now been about three years since I last payed any real attention to it.

Ultimate is pretty damn good, I just don't like keeping up with it on a monthly basis thanks to the ludicrously slow pacing. It feels like I finish reading new issues of Ultimate as soon as I open the cover. I prefer to just wait a few months and read a few of them at once to sate my thirst.

I've been wanting to re-read my way through Amazing again though, at least up to One More Day. When I was reading through that CD-ROM collection, I was 14 or 15 and didn't really have a good appreciation for storytelling and character development, it was just "OH YAH SPIDEY KICK HIS ASS!!!". New set of eyes and all that.

Edited by Speederino

I might do a post on other adaptations of Spider-man and Miles Morales.

But I agree. If you want to a modern retelling of Spider-man without going through a shit ton of Amazing(I mean every great story as well as dreadful), then go to Ultimate. The Ultimate series has yet to have a bad arc when it comes to Spider-man. It is that good.

As for why I went balls out, Spider-man might as well be imprinted in my DNA. Like Andrew Garfield, I needed Spidey when I was a kid. I grew up watching every adaptation, having a few comics, and the like. It was glorious. Everything about a courageous hero that had problems that I could relate to as a kid just clicked. So yeah, I am passionate about Spider-man because unlike most series, it was pretty much my childhood.

Edited by turbojet

Carlie Cooper was named after Queasadas Kid? Ugh, I'm starting to see more similarities between him and Loeb who also named a new characters after his son.

ultNova0.jpg

Yup the asshole Nova is named after Loebs kid.

You know his son died right?

Anyway, I remember actually reading a few issues of the initial series and thought it as pretty righteous for something over 30 years old.

Yeah, absolutely. Man, when I get a job, I'll be right there buying Spider-man stuff again.

Ok, so for a Spider-Man noob (me) who wants to get into the series would buying this be a decent start?

Omnibus Vol. 1

Yes, that would do quite nicely.

I'm guilty, I don't buy comics, i download them, ;_: Too poor, and no comics store by me.

You know his son died right?

Yeah I know and nothin' but sympathy for him and his loss but that doesnt excuse terrible writing of characters and story.

I'm guilty, I don't buy comics, i download them, ;_: Too poor, and no comics store by me.

Meh I do this sometimes too when I can't get a hold of whatever issues I'm looking for.

Edited by Balding Spider

That's the entire point of the Ultimate universe. New and different take on the Marvel superhero universe that was it's own and wasn't muddled down with years of continuity making it easily accessible for newcomers.

There's a difference though between good changes and bad changes. Ultimate Green Goblin is imo too big of a change.