Awoo.

Stand Up Comedy

Nepenthe

A few people here have lamented about a bad day, and this was a topic idea rattling around in my brain for awhile anyway. So let's talk about comedians and comediannes! Their job is to take a stage, tell some jokes and stories, and make you laugh. Jokes and stories about what? Anything. Nothing is off limits. The ability for good stand-up comics to discuss the most horrific things and to find the humor in them is part of what makes comedy so awesome, and it makes good comics themselves worthy of admiration. After all, standing up in front of people to give a speech can be nerve-wracking. Making rape jokes with a straight face- and getting an actual laugh- is almost an unfathomable action. I honestly couldn't do it, so kudos to those who can and make a living off of it.

Now then, who are your favorite comics? Who are your least favorites? What are your favorite skits, roasts, heckler responses, and blunders? Post some good videos and let's have a laugh.

Allow me to be the first to get the current king out of the way:

louis_ck.jpg

The way this man can spin out a funny, down-to-earth story from his self-depricating, cynical everyman persona is just gold. He's guaranteed to make me laugh whether he's talking about his ridiculous weight or lamenting about the stupidity of his young daughters. On top of his skills, he has begun writing new material every year as his idol and also-amazing comedian George Carlin used to do, so nothing's ever rehashed. He's a top of the line comic.

Here's one of my favorite skits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOE_MGaWwQE

I think my favorite stand up comedian is Dave Chappelle. I just always found it funny just because I think how he expresses himself is so...casual. Almost like how you talk with your friends about funny stuff.

Another stand up comedian I like is Chelsea Peretti, for the same reasons as Chapelle.

And my least favorite stand up comedian is Carlos Mencia. I honestly think that he is a rip off of George Lopez and Dave Chappelle and his jokes are not very funny, at least to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I grew to like Chelsea Peretti from her stints on World's Dumbest. She's so deadpan, monotone and sarcastic that it accentuates her insults and observations.

Mitch Hedberg was hilarious. His delivery was so odd and nervous (he was a druggie, which was no secret), which really added to the humor in some ways. He just has really creative views on everyday occurrences, and he doesn't even bother with smooth transitions between jokes. He just gets up there and says hilarious stuff. His death was tragic, but he left some great laughs with us.

Jim Gaffigan is actually my favorite, but I put him second because some may find his overuse of squeaky voices annoying. This guy's jokes really hit close to home for us Americans, but everyone can enjoy them. He mainly deals with stuff like laziness and fast food, but what I like about him is his talent for humor without being profane. Those are my favorite comedians, the ones who can just tell a good joke without constantly talking about sex or cursing. He only swears when the joke really calls for it, and in general I just love his style. I just like this guy's tendency to talk from the audience's point of view, giving hypothetical reactions from people in the audience who don't find him funny. My favorite.

Honorable mentions go to Emo Philips and Steven Wright.

• Thumbs Up 2

My favorite is Eric Lyden. I saw him live at a resort called, Woodloch. I attended there on vacation, and immediately when I went home I youtubed more of his performances. You should really check it out. He is really funny!

Edited by TheNicollette30

I grew to like Chelsea Peretti from her stints on World's Dumbest. She's so deadpan, monotone and sarcastic that it accentuates her insults and observations.

My personal favorite is Lewis Black. I own all his albums and whenever I go on a long road trip I always pop in his CDs and it makes the long drive that much easier. No matter how many times I listen to them, I still laugh like crazy. His timing is just brilliant.

A long time favorite is George Carlin and I really need to get around to buying some more of his albums. I just love how throughout most of his career he was a rather straight-forward comedian and then later on he became, as one of my relatives put it, one of those dirty old men living down the street that you avoid at all costs. His brilliance could not be measured.

I'm also a fan of Mitch Hedberg, Margaret Cho (her impersonation of her mom is just GOLD) and Bill Engvall (when he's AWAY from the other Blue Collar guys). I used to be a Dane Cook fan, but his act has grown a little stale to me over the years.

I don't really watch stand-up, but I did like segments of Dave Chappelle's Killing Them Softly. I'm also curious to see some of Eddie Murphy's standup sometime.

Edited by Zinos

As is my duty, I cannot let a stand-up comedy thread go by without mentioning Ross Noble, the man who once did a 10 minute routine on national T.V about attaching meat to your face. ("Sure, it may look weird to some, but a man with meat on his face might just be trying to ward off the advances of an amourous vegan!").

Not only am I a big fan of his rambling style, I also love the dedication of the man. No support acts for Ross - you go see him, you'll get at least a 2-hour show, and probably a 30 minute Q&A encore to go with it. As a large amount of his show is about the city he's performing in and members of the audience, every show is different too. He packs his DVD releases the same way. His 3rd DVD, Randomist, is a 4 disc set, containing over 7 hours of stand-up, as well as 2 travelogues. Only about 5 minutes of material was recycled across the 3 shows and random clips featured. In fact, every DVD he releases will have at least 2 unique shows from a tour. You get your money's worth with Ross.

I'm also a fan of Andy Parsons from Mock The Week, having seen him last year. His delivery can grate a little at times, but there's a real care put into his set-ups and punchlines to create very witty satire.

Also, to mention someone Americans will recognise, Richard Pryor was also amazing, a real trailblazer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big stand up comic fan here. Wanted to gush on Louis CK, but since the OP already did the honor (but seriously, watch Louie on FX) might as well talk about another of my favorites.

Demetri Martin

Borrowing from the styles of Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg, Demetri Martin is all about observational comedy covered in meta-ness, with a touch of intelligent whimsy and creative employment of visual aids. He's kind of like a human XKCD... that can play the guitar... and probably every other instrument known to man.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think my favorite stand up comedian is Dave Chappelle. I just always found it funny just because I think how he expresses himself is so...casual. Almost like how you talk with your friends about funny stuff.

Another stand up comedian I like is Chelsea Peretti, for the same reasons as Chapelle.

And my least favorite stand up comedian is Carlos Mencia. I honestly think that he is a rip off of George Lopez and Dave Chappelle and his jokes are not very funny, at least to me.

Ah yes, you have very good taste. Dave Chapelle is my favorite comedian. Chelsea is actually pretty funny as well.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah yes, you have very good taste. Dave Chapelle is my favorite comedian. Chelsea is actually pretty funny as well.

Yes too bad that he went a little nutty because of the pressure and stress and we did not get to see more of the stuff on Chapelle's show.

Another personal favorite: Sarah Silverman.

In a word, Sarah's shtick is that she lampoons the absurdity of prejudice and "taboo-ness" in an irreverent and carefree manner.

She kind of has that Happy Tree Friends appeal, constantly subverting her own cute and innocent demeanor with very dark humor.

Sara Silverman is also funny, especially liked that "I'm Fucking Matt Daemon" song/video she did to mess with her husband