Awoo.

New Sonic Chili Dog Ad at Joypolis

Sonictrainer

Cute art! I've tried chillidog once, and I thought it was quite tasty! =3 I wanna go to Joypolis now~

....Is the chilidog made out of real hedgehog?

To answer your sarcastic question, no. LOL

Anyway, that chilli dog looks so yummy. That is going in my tummy biggrin.png

And I still want to know, since when and why they made chili-dogs Sonic's favorite food? I mean, it's not healthy and he is kinda of an athlete tongue.png This render is ugly by the way, Sonic looks retarded...

Edited by Jango

Sonic Advance 3 is eight years old, it's been in the Japanese canon for nearly a decade. Maybe it didn't get really highlighted until 2008, but it has been there.

Okay fine, between 1999-2008 there was ONE reference to chillidogs in anything having to do with the games. But still, that's pretty measly when you consider that "likes chillidogs" was more or less promoted as one of Sonic's defining character traits (in the west) for most of the 90's.

For me, the more important part of this ad is that we got a new piece of artwork out of it.

It looks more of a retool of Sonic's model from Unleashed.

And I still want to know, since when and why they made chili-dogs Sonic's favorite food?

In the game continuity? 2004 actually;

sa3s.jpg

Excerpt from the official Sonic Advance 3 Strategy Guide. Interestingly, it actually says that Chili Dog's are Sonic's favourite thing, possibly implying he likes them above running.

As for why? Well why do you like your favourite food? Taste and texture? :P Of course this aspect of game Sonic seems to be a canon immigrant from the SoA Sonic continuities.

Chili Dogs are really the perfect canon immigrant from the old cartoons and comic, when you think about it. Go for a specific set of characters from one continuity, other similar continuity fans would complain that their show/comic is getting the shaft. The answer: Use something that is prevalent throughout all those continuities and nobody can say it's to a specific cartoon.

The manga hardly anybody has heard of still has more references and canon immigrants, though.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only canon immigrant from the magna that I recall is Charmy Bee, unless I am wrong

The only canon immigrant from the magna that I recall is Charmy Bee, unless I am wrong

Amy was also a canon immigrant from one of the manga's. Hoshino took her name and concept as Sonic's girlfriend from it and the rest is history.

Aside from Verte getting in with Amy first, Tails' car in CD and Amy's maracas in Advance are both taken from there as well, plus...eh...other things.

Hoshino took her name and concept as Sonic's girlfriend

And her look;

maracas2.jpg

The manga this screenie is grabbed from ran alongside the Shogakukan Ninensei series, and thus is dated back to 1992.

Edited by VEDJ-F

The fact one of the series main characters is in fact a canon immigrant from that old manga and nobody seems to have a problem with this makes it really hypocritical that so many seem to have a problem with the Swatbos and the term "robotization" in Chronicles.

"But the difference is that they were treated as something that had always been there even though they hadn't!". Yeah well so were Cubot and Orbot, so go complain about them too then...

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact one of the series main characters is in fact a canon immigrant from that old manga and nobody seems to have a problem with this makes it really hypocritical that so many seem to have a problem with the Swatbos and the term "robotization" in Chronicles.

Amy being a canon immigrant =/= The blatant continuity snarls regarding SWATbots and Robotisization in Chronicles, proving that Bioware didn't know what the hell they were doing.

The former is a character that was introduced very well. The latter was introduced very badly because the characters acted like Eggman had always used SWATBots and Roboticisation when there was zero prescedence for them to go by to say this. It was just a badly-researched pointless inclusion to make the characters despise Eggman even more.

Cubot and Orbot were treated as if they had always been around? When? You mean when Cubot mentions Eggman's failures in stopping Sonic? That's a very easy conclusion to come to without intricately-detailed prior knowledge mellow.png

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 3

To be perfectly fair, as far as the games are concerned, Eggman never turned the animals themselves into robots; they were merely batteries for said robots that, upon their destruction, were set free. In Chronicles, the way the heroes talked about it was as if Eggman was doing it all the time, which clearly isn't the case.

Cubot and Orbot were treated as if they had always been around? When? You mean when Cubot mentions Eggman's failures in stopping Sonic? That's a very easy conclusion to come to without intricately-detailed prior knowledge mellow.png

Cubot specifically says "did we defeat Sonic this time? No of course not, we never do". So i think it's pretty obvious that Sega pretends that Cubot and Orbot have been Eggmans assistants for a long time, which is no different at all from what Bioware did with the Swatbots.

Edited by batson

Finally a chili dog ad that has Sonic on it.

Yeah really. It took Sega long enough...I know we've seen references to Sonic and chili dogs game-wise in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight, but I thought we would of seen something along the lines of an advertisement with them, what, 19 years ago when we saw Sonic eating chilli dogs in both of the cartoons? The only reason I even know chilli dogs exist is because of Sonic, lol. Oh well, I'm still glad to see this ad. Better late than never, I say.

Overall, seems like Sega is finally getting the point about this advertising thing, huh? To racecars, to movies, to even chilli dogs ads, we are starting to see Sonic all over the place! I love it! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2