Awoo.

Character Spin-offs

PerfectChaos

Sonic Team's not quite in a position for character spin-offs, but when they are, what do you want to see? Think Yoshi's Island: a fantastic platformer game that takes advantage of Yoshi's abilities to provide a unique experience different to the Mario titles. I think Sonic needs that - someone who can survive having their own spotlight. Shadow kind of blew his chance (unless one of you have a really good idea for a Shadow series), so maybe Tails? Some sort of Plane-based thing? (A GOOD Tails' Skypatrol'?)

Or Knuckles, in a slower paced, combat heavy platforming adventure (like the Werehog, but MUCH MUCH BETTER)

Heck, even Amy has a little potential with that hammer.

Is Knuckles still the "urban" character? If so, we should get Sega to make a PaRappa-esque rhythm game starring him. And/or an Amy Whack-a-Mole game.

Plus Real Bass Fishing with Big the Cat.

Oh wait. "Retired."

Edited by Gilda

To make an unexpected idea, I will like to have a Chaotix game (Vector, Charmy, and Espio) that kind of plays like Banjo-Kazooie. They will have to collect clues, solve puzzles, and you will need Charmy to fly, Espio to climb, and Vector to swim (all three of them will fight of course). So instead of Banjo and Kazooie it will just be Vector, Charmy, and Espio.

A Tails game where you have to collect items in stages to build planes, boats, and robots and fight Eggman's creation will be cool too I guess.

Chaotix are my choice. They're popular enough for a spinoff, but not so popular you could only imagine them in Sonic games. They have their own feeling.

They could show how things are in a more down-to-Earth game. Rather than saving the world, they could be fighting criminals and gangs and stuff.

Could play a bit like Sonic Adventure. Roulette choice. Game starts off in a similar manner, but the team splits up.

Perhaps bring back a list of forgotten characters, like Mighty or Nack and have them in this world.

I can't help but think any game like this might fall prey to a distinct lack of a response to the question "why isn't this part of a Sonic game?".

Creatively speaking, I've never liked playing any of the other characters enough to want a whole game about them.

I'd love to see a Shadow spin off. It would be much darker an mature than past games. It would have stuff like an alien invasion and Shadow finding out he has a connection to this aliens.

Also it would have new gimmicks such as riding vehicles and using weapons.

And to add to the mature theme of the game, Shadow and some other characters will actually say swear words at some points of the game.

What do you guys think? Pretty hardcore huh?

Oh wait.....

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

I can't help but think any game like this might fall prey to a distinct lack of a response to the question "why isn't this part of a Sonic game?".
  • Thumbs Up 1

A series of spinoffs that focus on ALL the other characters,, even Shahra. They will be even darker than ShTH filled with swearing, characters dying in gruesome ways, etc. They will be downloadable. Hey, Bionicle did something very similar with it's supporting cast (Destiny War, Dwellers In Darkness, Brothers In Arms, Dark Mirror, etc) so why not Sonic?

Ok, how about:

Tails (since he's least likely to be criticized before the game has even been played by said critic) in a game about mechs and robots. You'd have hundreds of customization options for your transformable mech (e.g you can actually alter its shape to change its speed/aerodynamics, and how well it transforms, its power/weight etc.), and it can transform at will for ground combat, flying etc. A bit like All Stars Racing Transformed, or Kid Icarus Uprising. The gameplay... I dunno. But much better than SA2's. Any thoughts? *Readies flame shield*

A series of spinoffs that focus on ALL the other characters,, even Shahra. They will be even darker than ShTH filled with swearing, characters dying in gruesome ways, etc. They will be downloadable. Hey, Bionicle did something very similar with it's supporting cast (Destiny War, Dwellers In Darkness, Brothers In Arms, Dark Mirror, etc) so why not Sonic?

Because Sonic isn't Bionicle.
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not really too late for Shadow. It didn't impress the Sonic fan-base, but it did impress other fan bases. It attracted tons of new people to the series. If they can get Shadow's gameplay right, he deserves another chance. He has a lot of potential, and can bring the series to a larger demographic.

Because the Toa aren't a bunch of silly cartoon animals?

I get the feeling that had Sonic 06 been a success/popular game then we would have got a Silver The Hedgehog spin off set in the future. Maybe a sequel to Sonic 06? The gameplay to that effect would have been very interesting in terms of Silver. Maybe through in Knuckles and Tails for good measure to give them better roles that they got in 06.

It's not really too late for Shadow. It didn't impress the Sonic fan-base, but it did impress other fan bases. It attracted tons of new people to the series. If they can get Shadow's gameplay right, he deserves another chance. He has a lot of potential, and can bring the series to a larger demographic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's about time we got the Eggman spin-off already, where the game takes place from the view of the ACTUAL bad guys for once, instead of just the morally ambiguous guys. The gameplay would switch between Metal Sonic (who would have a variation on normal Sonic gameplay) and Eggman, who would be piloting various mechs to fuck shit up. Essentially, Metal Sonic goes into a GUN-heavy area first, tearing throug the elite forces who could prove a threat to Eggman's big robots, then the Doctor comes in with his fuck-up machine and lays waste in a cross between mech-piloting (closer to the mech simlator games that were all the rage a few years ago) and strategy (commanding your Badniks, E-series, and Egg Pawns) gameplay.

Cubot and Orbot would provide advice, humor, and delicious beverages.

• Thumbs Up 2

You don't see to comprehend the amount of damage that game caused do you? Shadow was, to many the lowest point of the series. What makes you think that everyone would be ready and willing to accept a spin off with a character everyone has a very divisive opinion about?

With the right gameplay, right style, right story. Also all of the flaws from the previous game gone. They'd most likely be fine with it. There would be no reason for them not to be if they get it right. Even if they aren't happy with the character, Shadow has been a main character since 2001, and got his own game once. He's an important character who attracted many more people to the series.

Edited by -L-

I think it's about time we got the Eggman spin-off already, where the game takes place from the view of the ACTUAL bad guys for once, instead of just the morally ambiguous guys. The gameplay would switch between Metal Sonic (who would have a variation on normal Sonic gameplay) and Eggman, who would be piloting various mechs to fuck shit up. Essentially, Metal Sonic goes into a GUN-heavy area first, tearing throug the elite forces who could prove a threat to Eggman's big robots, then the Doctor comes in with his fuck-up machine and lays waste in a cross between mech-piloting (closer to the mech simlator games that were all the rage a few years ago) and strategy (commanding your Badniks, E-series, and Egg Pawns) gameplay.

Cubot and Orbot would provide advice, humor, and delicious beverages.

Would be cool to see a story showing how Dr Eggman/Robotnik became the genius that he is with his 300 IQ. A story of his life, how he became the most evil villian of them all and why he wants to take over Mobius/Earth and turn everyone into robots.

Edited by MilesKnightwing
  • Thumbs Up 1

People play Sonic for Sonic-like gameplay... just saying...

What a narrow-minded thing to say. You do realize there have been other playable characters since 1992 right? If so, then you would know that Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow (Who is the most popular character besides Sonic), and other characters introduced many more people to the series.

If it wasn't for Tails, I wouldn't be a Sonic fan. The same applies to many other people with different characters. I used to play Sonic games for Tails gameplay, but now that Sonic has been the only character playable since 2007, I have lost a lot of interest in Sonic games. I know that many others have too.

Edited by -L-

I think Eggman's the only one I'd be interested in. The only other characters with anywhere near the popularity to support a game of their own are better off with Sonic-styled gameplay and being part of a proper Sonic game. As for what exactly Eggman would be doing, I'd go with a quirky platformer with a lot of gadgets and badniks to use for getting around, fighting enemies, and solving puzzles. Invent some rival villain for Eggman to go up against, maybe have him cross paths with Sonic and the rest a few times, it'd be silly fun.

. They'd most likely be fine with it. There would be no reason for them not to be if they get it right.

You realize you're talking about the same group of people who bitched because everyone else was in Generations; Not talking with Sonic, not having a part in the story, and being cameos at best. They. Still. Complained. What makes you think anybody would be willing to tolerate Shadow's face on any game cover regardless if it's good or not?

Even if they aren't happy with the character, Shadow has been a main character since 2001, and got his own game once. He's an important character who attracted many more people to the series.

And he turned away just as many fans; There's a reason he's a controversial character.

The only character that I can see getting away with a spin off is Eggman, he's the only character aside from Sonic himself to not have a huge bag hatred under him, and he's almost as popular as Sonic to boot. Plus it'd be nice to see Eggman's intellect and genius show against someone he can actually win against.

Everyone else? Until Sega get their heads out of their asses and actually do something with them in the mainstream games, nobody is going to accept any of them having top billing in their own game(If people hated them in their home series, what makes you think anybody would tolerate them in their own game?), it's just impractical., arguably not even Tails & Knuckles considering their falls from grace to Non-Action Guy, and Butt Monkey respectively.

Edited by The Batman

What a narrow-minded thing to say.
People play Sonic games for Sonic gameplay: Suddenly a controversial statement. Well okay, it's not really "suddenly" considering this has been a problem with this fanbase for a while now...

You do realize there have been other playable characters since 1992 right?
Yeah and guess how Tails played.

Like. Sonic.

but now that Sonic has been the only character playable since 2007, I have lost a lot of interest in Sonic games. I know that many others have too.
I don't think fans who only stay with the series because of secondary characters are fans we need to be concerned about losing. And I have to wonder how many of these people are leaving because, without their favorite character to cover it up, they're realizing how shallow the games have been.

You realize you're talking about the same group of people who bitched because everyone else was in Generations; Not talking with Sonic, not having a part in the story, and being cameos at best. They. Still. Complained. What makes you think anybody would be willing to tolerate Shadow's face on any game cover regardless if it's good or not?

It's not the characters that's the problem. It's how they're executed, and you answered why they complained right there:

Not talking with Sonic, not having a part in the story, and being cameos at best.

And he turned away just as many fans; There's a reason he's a controversial character.

Sonic wasn't even playable in Shadow the Hedgehog.

To get turned away by a badly executed spin-off title that Sonic isn't even playable in is pretty dumb.

People play Sonic games for Sonic gameplay: Suddenly a controversial statement. Well okay, it's not really "suddenly" considering this has been a problem with this fanbase for a while now...

Other characters used to take up a large portion of the gameplay. Sonic wasn't even playable in Shadow the Hedgehog and Tails Sky Patrol.

Maybe narrow-minded isn't the right phrase to use, but 'clueless' certainly is regarding posts like that.

Yeah and guess how Tails played.

Like. Sonic.

That's not the point. The point is that from 1992-2006 there has been multiple playable characters, and each one introduced new people to the franchise. He may have had the same gameplay in Sonic 2, but he's still a different character. I don't see how stating that in one game at the start of the series he played like Sonic somehow even effects my point.

I don't think fans who only stay with the series because of secondary characters are fans we need to be concerned about losing. And I have to wonder how many of these people are leaving because, without their favorite character to cover it up, they're realizing how shallow the games have been.

They weren't really secondary characters. In some games they held just as much importance as Sonic. That's not a good thing, but they were very important to the series back then. Yes, the games have been shallow and crappy. SEGA's Sonic games will still sell, no matter the mind-numbing quality.