Awoo.

Which Sonic character(s) do you want in Super Smash Bros. 4?

Jack / Joker

But yes, they could have done more than two spin dashes. What's the difference between them anyway?

Side B revs back and is revved by holding B and upon releasing you do a little hop. Down B is more like the traditional Spindash where you mash B to rev it up and you stay along the ground. To get a little deeper, Side B can also be shield cancelled during the startup up and Down B can be shield cancelled upon landing. You can also spinshot Side B but not Down B but that's getting into technical crap that nobody apart from competitive Sonic mains would really care about or know how to do.

As others have said, Sonic only. If this were a few years ago, I'd also say maybe Blaze; as a popular Sonic character largely tied to Nintendo consoles, she seems like a logical choice.

Idea: Include Tails as an assist as was originally planned.

Shadow being number 2, he's the logical choice next to Eggman.

Shadow doesn't NEED to be a clone of Sonic, if done right. He could have a variety of moves given his chaos abilities, though I predict that given how lazy Nintendo can be with fixing balance issues and reducing clone numbers, I would not be surprised if he did come out 100% the same.

What I really want for the next one is for EVERY character to have a special ability, rather than just a few of them. Sonic, for example, should be immune to tripping.

But oo, I like the idea of having alternate skins. Ones that change the actual model a bit and not just the color. It would be a good way to include sides without risking drama.

===

Also loving the idea of a new Sonic fighter. Sumo, get to it. Well, if you can decide between the fighter and the soccer.

Sonic, for example, should be immune to tripping.
Tripping shouldn't exist in the first place, at least not as a random thing.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tripping shouldn't exist in the first place, at least not as a random thing.

Agreed. Tripping is a toxic mechanic that detracts from the game for all types of players, casual and competitive alike. Whoever thought that putting it into the game was a good idea should be slapped.

• Thumbs Up 2

Side B revs back and is revved by holding B and upon releasing you do a little hop. Down B is more like the traditional Spindash where you mash B to rev it up and you stay along the ground. To get a little deeper, Side B can also be shield cancelled during the startup up and Down B can be shield cancelled upon landing. You can also spinshot Side B but not Down B but that's getting into technical crap that nobody apart from competitive Sonic mains would really care about or know how to do.

Going deeper into this, the Side B Spindash packs some invincibility frames in that short hop, so it could be used as a varied form of operative defense when you need to get in on someone and break their momentum. The Peach matchup would be MONUMENTALLY harder if the Side B didn't have the invincibility frames to break through her string of attacks.

Since Sonic can go into his shield from Side B by simply pressing the shield button, it opens up a whole bunch of crazy Glide Toss options for Sonic to take advantage with the proper control setup. The ability to Dash in, and then Glide Toss backward at the same speed in less than a fifth of a second makes Sonic even more of a pest to deal with if he's got throwing items on hand.

A Spinshot can be done out of Down B, but he has to be in the air to do that. On the other hand, Spinshotting with Down B is much easier than with Side B, as the former requires a simple flick of the C-stick during the chargeup phase, whereas the latter requires perfect timing of the jump button. Getting into high-speed spindash is faster with Down B as well, since Down B goes right into it, but Side B has to go through the little hop first before it gets going.

TL;DR: Down B is better suited for rush-down strategies, whereas Side B excels in tactical offense and tactical defense.

/competitive Sonic main

Edited by Qwilfish
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd like to see Shadow make it into the game if they do plan on using another Sonic character.

Agreed. Tripping is a toxic mechanic that detracts from the game for all types of players, casual and competitive alike. Whoever thought that putting it into the game was a good idea should be slapped.

Thank god it's only a %1 percent chance that it happens, or else it would have been a big deal for me. But personally, it's kind of rare so I don't mind it that much. It should still GTFO though.

If you're implying that Eggman could best Ganondorf in a battle, I'm going to laugh at you. A lot.

Well, A kid in tights armed with a sword and a fairy can...

Going deeper into this, the Side B Spindash packs some invincibility frames in that short hop, so it could be used as a varied form of operative defense when you need to get in on someone and break their momentum. The Peach matchup would be MONUMENTALLY harder if the Side B didn't have the invincibility frames to break through her string of attacks.

Since Sonic can go into his shield from Side B by simply pressing the shield button, it opens up a whole bunch of crazy Glide Toss options for Sonic to take advantage with the proper control setup. The ability to Dash in, and then Glide Toss backward at the same speed in less than a fifth of a second makes Sonic even more of a pest to deal with if he's got throwing items on hand.

A Spinshot can be done out of Down B, but he has to be in the air to do that. On the other hand, Spinshotting with Down B is much easier than with Side B, as the former requires a simple flick of the C-stick during the chargeup phase, whereas the latter requires perfect timing of the jump button. Getting into high-speed spindash is faster with Down B as well, since Down B goes right into it, but Side B has to go through the little hop first before it gets going.

TL;DR: Down B is better suited for rush-down strategies, whereas Side B excels in tactical offense and tactical defense.

/competitive Sonic main

Ya learn something new everyday. I consider myself a Sonic main, albeit not a very good one. I just really enjoy the game and character.

Well, A kid in tights armed with a sword and a fairy can...

The sword that Ganon is weak against mind. Ganon's nearly invincible otherwise.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n

There's no doubt in my mind that Sonic's going to be back. But I doubt there will be other playable characters from his universe. Eggman would be cool as a boss for adventure mode, and I'd love to see Tails and Knuckles as fighters.

Shadow can come back as an assist trophy and new ones can be Amy and Perfect Chaos (with the latter being the assist trophy version of Ho-oh and Lugia).

Angel island or tropical resort would be cool as stages as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya learn something new everyday. I consider myself a Sonic main, albeit not a very good one. I just really enjoy the game and character.

Sonic's nearly unlimited options at any one point helps me keep coming back to the little guy whenever I'm stagnating. I much prefer having 32587453853485034789 mediocre options over 1-2 strong options, as it means I can get more creative in my style and search for original ways to KO someone in a way that doesn't bore me.

If Sonic is stripped of his ability to cancel or vary up nearly everything he has in Smash 4, I'll be piiiiiiiiiissed. :V

Edited by Qwilfish

Eggman final smash -- Death Egg. Knock everyone in the radius it fires (which is large) off stage. Or it heats up the stage and damages everyone by 100%-- like in the Volcano.

Do it.

Edited by WIttyUsername
  • Thumbs Up 1

Franchise representation be damned, I don't think it's asking too much at the very least for a Tails assist to replace the incredibly half-assed Shadow one for Brawl. At a stretch you could throw in an Eggpod boss or two in the new Subspace if it means giving some Eggman rep without having to make him a playable character. If Sakurai goes the distance and allows model/sound swaps as additional "costumes", though, being able to choose between several spindash-able model swaps would be completely fine with me. Ideally a choice between Tails, Knux, Shadow, Metal, and possibly Silver seeing as ol' Sakurai was cool with him back in Brawl.

You know what would be cool, though? Brawl had the whole "crates tailour-made for the stage in question" thing going on, but they were really more of a small subset of crates rather than something made specifically for the level in question. For Sonic's stage you could just turn them into classic item monitors that you could pick up and throw at people. Hell, one of the main stage gimmicks could even be that the item inside is displayed on the side, even with a little Eggman icon for the ones that explode when broken. As for the stage in question... to be honest I'll be disappointed if they do Green Hill twice (or another Seaside Hill ASJKDHLKJASHKJSGFJHDSGKLJ), but I can't think of another locale that's just as iconic to the series. Death Egg, maybe? Angel Island? One of those two would be fine by me.

Thank god it's only a %1 percent chance that it happens, or else it would have been a big deal for me. But personally, it's kind of rare so I don't mind it that much. It should still GTFO though.

When that 1% chance keeps you from getting the Hammer first... let's see how much you don't mind it then. :P XD

There's no doubt in my mind that Sonic's going to be back. But I doubt there will be other playable characters from his universe. Eggman would be cool as a boss for adventure mode

Do want Eggman for Adventure mode. They should be more outside the box with the villains and not limit it primarily to who is in-game. Before we found out the Ancient Minister was ROB, I started to imagine Eggman making some appearance.

Eggman final smash -- Death Egg. Knock everyone in the radius it fires (which is large) off stage. Or it heats up the stage and damages everyone by 100%-- like in the Volcano.

Do it.

I like.

Logical explanation: Eggman limits the power and size of the beam on purpose because if he didn't, he wouldn't have a planet to rule.

You know what would be cool, though? Brawl had the whole "crates tailour-made for the stage in question" thing going on, but they were really more of a small subset of crates rather than something made specifically for the level in question. For Sonic's stage you could just turn them into classic item monitors that you could pick up and throw at people. Hell, one of the main stage gimmicks could even be that the item inside is displayed on the side, even with a little Eggman icon for the ones that explode when broken.

Definitely liking this idea.

As for the stage in question... to be honest I'll be disappointed if they do Green Hill twice (or another Seaside Hill ASJKDHLKJASHKJSGFJHDSGKLJ), but I can't think of another locale that's just as iconic to the series. Death Egg, maybe? Angel Island? One of those two would be fine by me.

Stages such as Rooftop Run and Tropical Resort are fresh enough I think they could work.

Alternatively, just use White World and have it periodically alter to several stages.

eggman would definitely have alot of potential in smash bros. i could see his final smash being the death egg robo from generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow being number 2, he's the logical choice next to Eggman.

Nononononono whywhywhywhywhywhywhy

Dude, seriously...Fuck Tails.

...Fuck Knuckles...

Hell, fuck Shadow making an appearance as a fighter.

Really, these are the most popular choices, but I'm kind of sick of seeing these get all the attention (along with all the bashing in Shadow's case; it was annoying in 2005 and it's even MORE annoying in 2012 when this forum has come closer over the problems and solutions). I think we can put them in the back pedal for other characters who could use some positive recognition.

So I say let Eggman or Blaze get the position instead. Eggman because he's a villain and Brawl was seriously short on the villain side, and Blaze because it could also use more female fighters and she's in need of even more attention. Silver could also be a good choice because of his telekinesis, but it's a mixed choice.

Of course, considering what I said, that may not be in Blaze's favor. But really, I'd say let the more obscure one's get some attention.

...or why not Big? I don't particularly like him (Game canon; he's awesome in Archie), but I would love for them to use him here, his retirement be damned. :P

Nononononono whywhywhywhywhywhywhy

Because like Tails and Knuckles, he's one of the most popular characters in the series? Even Nintendo saw that enough to have him as an Assist Trophy for Brawl in the first place, and considering that it wouldn't be a surprise if he was promoted to fighter.

Seriously, the blatant Shadow bashing is annoying. I can handle people's dislike of the character, but not the potential bitching. We can be mature over what we hate here.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

Because like Tails and Knuckles, he's one of the most popular characters in the series? Even Nintendo saw that enough to have him as an Assist Trophy for Brawl in the first place, and considering that it wouldn't be a surprise if he was promoted to fighter.

Seriously, the blatant Shadow bashing is annoying. I can handle people's dislike of the character, but not the potential bitching. We can be mature over what we hate here.

:V Oh boy, this again. I love how I'm not allowed to hate terrible characters.

:V Oh boy, this again. I love how I'm not allowed to hate terrible characters.

=/

I love how people don't actually read all of my post.

No one said you're not allowed to hate Shadow; just that your hate is a rather petty reason to exclude one of the most popular fighter characters from a crossover.

• Thumbs Up 6

I was upset at the fact that he/she said that Shadow was the obvious #2 to Sonic, when there's obviously Tails or Knuckles who aren't annoying, overpowered, misplaced cliches.

I didn't say that my hatred for Shadow was a good reason for keeping him out. I'll try to make it more clear next time, but you know, it'd be pretty cool if I could have an opinion without people jumping on me like an ape for once.

It would be much easier to keep people from ganging up and wanting to have a disagreement with you if you were less ambiguous and unnecessarily snarky.

I was upset at the fact that he/she said that Shadow was the obvious #2 to Sonic, when there's obviously Tails or Knuckles who aren't annoying, overpowered, misplaced cliches.

Okay, seriously. This is the crap I'm talking about with the bashing, and this is what keeps getting people on your ass for it.

Regardless, I don't he meant Tails and Knuckles don't have a shot at appearing...unless I overlooked something. But he does want Shadow in, and there's nothing wrong with that aside from personal interest/disinterest in the character.

I didn't say that my hatred for Shadow was a good reason for keeping him out. I'll try to make it more clear next time, but you know, it'd be pretty cool if I could have an opinion without people jumping on me like an ape for once.

If you don't want people here on the SSMB to get on you about your opinion, then don't share it. Otherwise, we'll get onto you whether you like it or not. No exceptions, not even me. And I personally I downright expect someone to jump me on my thoughts whether I like what they have to say or not. That's kinda what discussion is partly for.

• Thumbs Up 1