Awoo.

Which Sonic character(s) do you want in Super Smash Bros. 4?

Jack / Joker

It would be much easier to keep people from ganging up and wanting to have a disagreement with you if you were less ambiguous and unnecessarily snarky.

I'll take that advice to heart, but I can't make any promises about not being snarky.

If you don't want people here on the SSMB to get on you about your opinion, then don't share it. Otherwise, we'll get onto you whether you like it or not. No exceptions, not even me. And I personally I downright expect someone to jump me on my thoughts whether I like what they have to say or not. That's kinda what discussion is partly for.

That's fine, but you don't see ME jumping on someone's ass any time that they say something good about Shadow, or bad about Metal Sonic or any other character I like. I picked one thing, out of ONE post that disturbed me, called it out (like Nepenthe said, I was ambiguous, and I'll be less so from now on), end of story. Life keeps on going, world keeps on spinning. But NOOOoooOOOO. Gotta start arguing about it, God forbid someone not like a character.

Dude, seriously...Fuck Tails.

...Fuck Knuckles...

Hell, fuck Shadow making an appearance as a fighter.

Really, these are the most popular choices, but I'm kind of sick of seeing these get all the attention

It's not like the attention is unwarranted.

If one of Smash Bros.'s primary goals is to get people into Nintendo + friends' franchises - which is kind of one of the perks of a mascot fighter - programming the literal faces of the franchises into the series as playable fighters is the best way to do it. That way casual blokes who have never seen or played a Nintendo game could look at it and go "Oh wow, the robot looking thing with a cannon on its arm is pretty cool, I wonder if this thing is in other- wait did the robot just turn into a woman? OK, now I know I want to play some of the games she's in!" and other related comments, and be treated with game after game with that character in it. Including Tails in as a fighter not only makes sense from a canon standpoint, but as a business outlook as well, as it doesn't seem Tails will be missing out of the action in Sonic games from now on.

Once upon a time, Shadow was the same way, and look at how much hooplah he generated in the pre-Brawl days. It's all connected.

Edited by Qwilfish

That's fine, but you don't see ME jumping on someone's ass any time that they say something good about Shadow,

Which is ironic, because I happen do just that towards people who act fanboyish towards Shadow. And I happen to be a Shadow fan.

Gotta start arguing about it, God forbid someone not like a character.

Seriously, read this for me and tell me what it says about someone not liking a character.

I can handle people's dislike of the character,

How many times must I say to you that I don't mind if you hate the character?

It's not like the attention is unwarranted.

Oh I know it's not unwarranted. I just wanna see some obscure characters get the chance to reach the stars. B)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

How many times must I say to you that I don't mind if you hate the character?

See, now, normally, I'd be like "Oh, yeah, okay, they don't care."

Except if you didn't, then we wouldn't be arguing about this right now. It's stupid that we are at all. Just get in the last word, edgewise, and we'll be done with this. I'll be damned if I'm going to pull a "This argument is over so whatever you say I'm going to ignore it so I win".

Can you imagine the rage that would spawn if Silver was announced as a fighter? :lol:

I'm personally seeing discussion about this. If a Sonic rep were to make it in, it's obvi gonna be Sonic, GAWD GUYS! Lol, seriously though, I'm all up for hypotheticals, what-ifs and etc. but come on... it's going to be Sonic.

NOW.... as an assist trophy or whatever they utilize in SSB4, I would like to see Tails, or even Eggman. I agree with previous comments of Shadow's assist being half-assed.

Can you imagine the rage that would spawn if Silver was announced as a fighter? laugh.png

No, because it won't happen... but what if it does!!!!??? *camera quickly pans in on Silver's smiling face*

Edited by LunarEdge

Can you imagine the rage that would spawn if Silver was announced as a fighter? laugh.png

Before the Great Character Exile of Unleashed, I wouldn't have been surprised. I would probably be more angry at the fact that they skipped some ten better characters for someone so utterly useless and generic as Silver than the actual fact that it was Silver that was playable. I don't hate the guy anymore, I'm just have the same attitude toward him that I have toward Shade and Marine.

Edited by HyperMetalWario

Personally, I think the only one who should be in Smash 4 representing the Sonic series should be Sonic. Smash Bros. is a Nintendo fighter, and I don't think Nintendo should oversaturate the character roster with Sonic characters (or Sega characters in general for that matter) unless it was intentional (Nintendo vs. Sega, anyone?). And I'm going to contradict myself right now by saying that the suggestion of putting Dr. Eggman in sounds like a good idea. It wasn't until Melee where you got to fight as heroes AND villains rather than being restricted to just a handful of Nintendo's most popular heroes. Smash Bros. only has like two or three playable villains that people actually care about, it would be cool to see one more. Especially if it's a villain as over-the-top as Eggman. Besides, there's quite a number of possibilities for Eggman's moveset. From his weapons in boss battles, to his skill set from Chronicles, there's a lot to draw from. Not to mention the choices in alternative costumes. Eggman Nega, AoSTH Robotnik, hell even the EggRobo would be a cool skin to give Eggman (provided Nintendo doesn't do what they did in Brawl and only give Wario an actual alternate costume).

And, I do like Shadow, but his appearance in Brawl was pretty lame. I agree that his Assist Trophy was rather crap.

Edited by Amuro
  • Thumbs Up 3

See, now, normally, I'd be like "Oh, yeah, okay, they don't care."

Except if you didn't, then we wouldn't be arguing about this right now. It's stupid that we are at all. Just get in the last word, edgewise, and we'll be done with this. I'll be damned if I'm going to pull a "This argument is over so whatever you say I'm going to ignore it so I win".

Except I was clear the very first time I don't care if you hate the character, yet you keep going about it saying that I'm not allowing you to dislike a character. You even quoted it when this argument began in the first place and so know you've read that, so stop saying you're not allowed to hate a character because that is just flat out untrue.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

In terms of cool and diverse abilities, Shadow is the obvious choice. But Knuckles would make me happy, too.

I'm pleasantly surprised at all the people suggesting Eggman.

To no one's surprise, Eggman is my suggestion as well. I think giving him a mix of his many weapons over the years could provide quite a versatile moveset, and it'd be nice to play as the Doctor in a fighting game without having to cheat for a change.

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean Shadow the haxhog?

It's as broken as it looks.

Wow that's almost as irritating as that Sephiroth Mugen character. The one who is invulnerable to low attacks, and more, and is also ugly.

Sonic had a projectile in Sonic Battle. Sonic is kind of boring in Brawl, but I don't think that's because they reached the limits of what they can do with him...more that they just took some of his most obvious moves and filled the rest with mostly generic abilities, instead of digging a bit deeper and seeing what he's done besides jump, spin, and homing attack.

I liked it because it was mostly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LQjYjP5kQ. Man, that game has some great squash and stretch. By the way, his down tilt is shared with like 4 other characters (Zamus, Captain Falcon, a few I can't remember), and his Utilt is just Wolf's up smash.

Does Super Sonic remind anyone else of a Power Change in Brawl? A lot had to do with how it was animated.

Wow that's almost as irritating as that Sephiroth Mugen character. The one who is invulnerable to low attacks, and more, and is also ugly.

I was the one that made most of that moveset. Just sayin.

Though to be honest, I don't really take offense if ya think it's shit. It's from over a year ago. I've got much better at modding since then. I don't even really like it myself, and the oversaturation of Shadow with regards to Brawl mods is part of the reason I don't want to see him in Smash 4.

I liked it because it was mostly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LQjYjP5kQ. Man, that game has some great squash and stretch. By the way, his down tilt is shared with like 4 other characters (Zamus, Captain Falcon, a few I can't remember), and his Utilt is just Wolf's up smash.

D Tilt's just a sweep kick. Plenty of characters do it though the main thing about Sonic's is that it brings him forward a little bit which is something most sweep kicks don't do. As for U Tilt, it's nothing like Wolf's U Smash. Sonic's U Tilt is the two consecutive upward kicks. Wolf's U Smash is that weird scissor kick. If you mean U Air instead of U Tilt that would make more sense but honestly, a move only that aesthetically is only similar to that of a move from one other character is still a fairly unique one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cream.

Oh Jesus, I can just see them banning her at tournaments.

I personally don't think any of the Sonic characters should be in it this time. Or Megaman. Or Tales. Or Final Fantasy. Or MGS. or any other IP that isn't strictly a Nintendo-based one. It's a Nintendo fighter with Nintendo characters in a free for all. Keep it that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really? Nobody is suggesting Knuckles? I mean fighting is pretty much what he's best at, considering his strength!....eh, whatever.

I doubt he'll be in the next Smash Bros. games, but I'm alright with just Sonic (a classic skin would be pretty sweet though), but if they add a second character it has to be Knuckles as I mentioned above. Nobody else.

Edited by Zinos

As much as I love Sonic, I'd rather have JUST Sonic in the game, it'd make room for alot more 3rd-party characters I'd want in, or even Nintendo characters. Sonic is really the only one that needs to be there anyways, it'd be neat if maybe Tails and Knuckles were in some sort-of story mode with him, but I don't really want to see them playable or anything.

It would make more sense for Tails (Sonic's best friend and second-in-command) or Knuckles (Sonic's original arch-rival and once the most popular character) or of course Eggman (villain and second most-recurring character) than Shadow because if they chose Shadow the backlash would be bigger than the above characters'. In my opinion Shadow and Knuckles are the worst choices because Tails is so recognisable and Eggman is hailed for being a good villain in general...

I can't really see the prospect of Sonic making a second SSB appearance. It's not really necessary for him to appear in the next game, although I wouldn't mind seeing him fighting with some other new nintendo or third party characters like Megaman.

Maybe we can afford to see one more other sonic character and mine would have to be Shadow. This is because I think he would make himself an interesting fighter. I can imagine seeing Shadow throwing Chaos Spears and teleports through Chaos Control from one bit to another. In fact, Shadow would make a badass fighter himself.

I'd just like Sonic, but I'd LOVE to see Eggman replace Shadow as an assist trophy.

He'd float around the arena with the wrecking ball from Sonic 1, doing damage to other players (damage done could be based on what angle and speed you are hit by the wrecking ball).

As a bonus, perhaps he could even be defeatable and fly off red-faced if hit enough times (dropping some food behind or something as an incentive to do so).

I wouldn't be against Sonic being rejigged to an Ice-Climbers-esque tagteam with Tails either, or at least perhaps replacing Spring Jump with summoning Tails to fly.

(If any of these ideas have already been said I apologise, I'm not quite invested enough in the topic so only skimmed the 4 pages so far).

Edited by JezMM

I think, they should stick to JUST Sonic, but maybe include Shadow, Tails and Knuckles as "costumes" for Sonic.

Nononononono whywhywhywhywhywhywhy

I was upset at the fact that he/she said that Shadow was the obvious #2 to Sonic

Shadow is second to Sonic in polls. That's all there is to it. Big as his hatedom is, he has a strong fandom as well. It's not a coincidence Sega wanted to give him his own game.

Personally, I think the only one who should be in Smash 4 representing the Sonic series should be Sonic. Smash Bros. is a Nintendo fighter, and I don't think Nintendo should oversaturate the character roster with Sonic characters

Never mind this is the Sonic fandom and there will be riots with anyone BUT Sonic.

And, I do like Shadow, but his appearance in Brawl was pretty lame. I agree that his Assist Trophy was rather crap.

Brawl seems half-finished to me at times, given how easy it is to break the game with certain characters or items, not to mention how lazy many of the items and movesets are. Shadow's just a glorified clock.

Really? Nobody is suggesting Knuckles? I mean fighting is pretty much what he's best at, considering his strength!....eh, whatever.

I doubt he'll be in the next Smash Bros. games, but I'm alright with just Sonic (a classic skin would be pretty sweet though), but if they add a second character it has to be Knuckles as I mentioned above. Nobody else.

Knuckles is number 4, so from a number of fans standpoint, that could influence it, though he does seem logical.

Really anyone but Sonic is probably a bad idea. Tails and Shadow both have very strong fanbases, but Eggman and Knuckles have good reasons to be in as well; choosing any one over the other would cause much drama.

We'll just have to wait for a Sonic Fighter, I guess.

It would make more sense for Tails (Sonic's best friend and second-in-command) or Knuckles (Sonic's original arch-rival and once the most popular character) or of course Eggman (villain and second most-recurring character) than Shadow because if they chose Shadow the backlash would be bigger than the above characters'. In my opinion Shadow and Knuckles are the worst choices because Tails is so recognisable and Eggman is hailed for being a good villain in general...

There'd be backlash but I predict people would buy it anyway. People as a whole are very good at criticising, but not backing it up with actions. Shadow'd be only a minor issue for most people who'd buy it for the overall game.

I'd just like Sonic, but I'd LOVE to see Eggman replace Shadow as an assist trophy.

He'd float around the arena with the wrecking ball from Sonic 1, doing damage to other players (damage done could be based on what angle and speed you are hit by the wrecking ball).

As a bonus, perhaps he could even be defeatable and fly off red-faced if hit enough times (dropping some food behind or something as an incentive to do so).

Wiiiin! Nintendo, take note.

I was the one that made most of that moveset. Just sayin.

Though to be honest, I don't really take offense if ya think it's shit. It's from over a year ago. I've got much better at modding since then. I don't even really like it myself, and the oversaturation of Shadow with regards to Brawl mods is part of the reason I don't want to see him in Smash 4.

D Tilt's just a sweep kick. Plenty of characters do it though the main thing about Sonic's is that it brings him forward a little bit which is something most sweep kicks don't do. As for U Tilt, it's nothing like Wolf's U Smash. Sonic's U Tilt is the two consecutive upward kicks. Wolf's U Smash is that weird scissor kick. If you mean U Air instead of U Tilt that would make more sense but honestly, a move only that aesthetically is only similar to that of a move from one other character is still a fairly unique one.

I didn't mean the quality of the work itself (though the voice samples leave a lot to be desired), but that all his stuff is way too effective, though it really seems a bit inevitable basing it off his Sonic Battle abilities.

I meant Uair. His Utilt is actually shared with Captain Falcon (his Usmash).

If Nintendo's letting Namco work on the game with them, I'm sure they'll let Sonic be in it. Also I'm sure Nintendo has seen that Sonic was clearly surprisingly popular, so he may as well join the brawl. Anyway, I want Shadow, Silver (for his fun powers), Knuckles and Tails. Any of these.