Awoo.

Colorado Shooting at Dark Knight Rises Opening

Speederino

Then the next best thing would be to make sure he never gets out of the clink.

That would be the right thing to do. However, considering that he apparently shot children as well as adults, and knowing the US prison system... yeah, someone's going to off him before the state can anyway.

State sponsored murder committed by a country so enamored with the ideals of liberty and justice is just massively facepalm-worthy though.

It's an interesting conundrum. On the one hand, someone who is a normal member of society in terms of mental state does not prepare himself and then follow through with the shooting up of movie theaters under the guise of following the message.

On the other hand, it seems at this point that he was of perfectly sound mind; and that this was a calculated effort, so the insanity defense as it is popularly used would not apply. And if it is found that it does not apply, then by all means fry him.

I don't think mental illness excludes the ability of a person to be calculating. Psychopathy is a true mental illness that disallows the sufferer to have human empathy among other things, making them more likely to do devious and evil things on premeditation. I don't think he'll successfully plead insanity as it pertains to a court of law, but I do think something is seriously mentally wrong with this man. People who are of sound mind just don't rig their apartment of explosives and go on random shooting sprees.

• Thumbs Up 5

Out of all the times we needed Batman...

I'm sorry.

But yeah, he's getting the death penalty, without a doubt if only so the system can save face with the public.

• Thumbs Up 2

But yeah, he's getting the death penalty, without a doubt if only so the system can save face with the public.

Believe me, the public will throw parties across the nation once this lunatic is thrown in the electric chair.

I don't think he'll successfully plead insanity as it pertains to a court of law, but I do think something is seriously mentally wrong with this man.

That was what I was getting at. From what we know right now (this was a normal guy who was even pursuing the highest of education), the only thing that the defense could point to as proof of an insanity plea was that he did it and sane people would not, which obviously wouldn't fly. There's still most likely something wrong because he did do it, but that's such a can of worms...

• Thumbs Up 2

This is one of the known victims of the tragedy:

An aspiring sports journalist and "The Dark Knight Rises" fan, Jessica Ghawi was among 12 people killed in the mass shooting early Friday morning at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo. The native Texan had written movingly about witnessing an earlier mass shooting incident in Toronto.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/movie-theater-shooting-victim-jessica-ghawi-narrowly-missed-143201637.html

A sports blogger who recently wrote of surviving a Toronto shooting was among those killed in the deadly rampage in suburban Denver, the woman's brother said Friday.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/brother-sports-blogger-among-those-killed-colo#overlay-context=user

Apparently she had encountered another shooting in Toronto, seems very tragic for her since she survived on shooting in order to die in another, poor woman sad.png

I believe he should be killed.

"If you live by the sword, you die by the sword".

Remember, Jesus said this to Peter as a warning to not kill Jesus' captor. I think as a Christian, no death (at all) should be condoned, but I profoundly agree that this individual should be locked up until the End Times.

Edited by Nicknyte
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder why these rampages are so prevalent in the US?

Gun control.

It's not very good, and nobody seems to be in a hurry to fix it; rather focusing energy on trying to figure out if it was video games, or a liberal agenda, or religious fervor that made crazed gun man go grazy instead of trying to limit the everyman's access to lethal weapons. How does a medical student accumulate semi-automatic firearms (if the claims of him not needing to reload are true), gas grenades, and multiple explosives, without any kind of warning bells going off?

But to be fair, this sort of thing does happen in a lot of other countries, too. But very rarely in countries with widespread gun control like the United Kingdom or Japan.

I believe he should be killed.

Fuck no. No one should be killed because killing is NEVER an answer. Imprisoned forever without any contact with family/other people. That's something they should do. It scares me how almost everyone here want him dead. Taking human's life is a terrible thing to do, no matter what this person did.

• Thumbs Up 2

gas grenades, and multiple explosives

Not knowing any further details, I wouldn't be surprised if he made those.

Edited by Gilda

I gotta say, this has to be the worst domestic terror incident since the Timothy Mcveigh bombing, if he should even be claimed as a terrorist.

Not knowing any further details, I wouldn't be surprised if he made those.

Me neither. I'm not saying gun control is perfect. Norway has excellent gun control, and it didn't do anything to prevent what happened a year ago. I'm just getting really tired of seeing these stories every couple of months of someone in the USA taking a gun and going on a shooting spree. The school shootings are the worst. If it happened once that should be a wakeup call for the entire country. For it to keep happening is just appalling.

• Thumbs Up 3

I gotta say, this has to be the worst domestic terror incident since the Timothy Mcveigh bombing, if he should even be claimed as a terrorist.

See, this is the key thing here. At this point he commited a crime of terror, I call him a terrorist. I don't need somebody from an exotic land and a turban on his head to understand that this man is a terrorist, and he deserves to be locked up forever.

See, this is the key thing here. At this point he commited a crime of terror, I call him a terrorist. I don't need somebody from an exotic land and a turban on his head to understand that this man is a terrorist, and he deserves to be locked up forever.

I don't get your point.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, I'm gonna bet that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket the victims' funeral. You know it's gonna happen.

This struck me as being incredibly poignant:

"I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given."

- Jessica Redfield, an aspiring journalist who was killed in the Aurora tragedy, reflecting on her narrow escape last month from a mall shooting in Toronto.

Talk about awful luck... sad.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the saddest thing when stuff like this happens is that the perpetrators have succeeded. Like most mass muderers they've succedded in imortalising themselves in the nation (and albiet human) history. Yes they could get the death penalty, yes they could be looked up indefinitely. But at the end of the day, how many people remember the numerous people (by name even) that died at their hands? As weird as it sounds, it someways i rather that the media and wateva wouldn't focus or even mention when these events occur (still deal with it mind you) because at least then the killer would still end up sharing in the fates of those that he'she killed rather than being remembered and even rallied behind in some cases.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I said before that stuff like this doesn't really surprise me anymore, but goddamn I am so tired of this shit consistently happening.

I can't watch the fucking news without there being a mention of rape, murder, abuse, kidnapping, etc. I'm not wishing for a perfect world, I just wish that this shit wouldn't happen so fucking frequently.

It's times like this that being a shut-in feels like a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I said before that stuff like this doesn't really surprise me anymore, but goddamn I am so tired of this shit consistently happening.

I can't watch the fucking news without there being a mention of rape, murder, abuse, kidnapping, etc. I'm not wishing for a perfect world, I just wish that this shit wouldn't happen so fucking frequently.

It's times like this that being a shut-in feels like a good thing.

Funnily enough, there's less crime than there used to be, it's just the news tends to exaggerate things, not that the world isn't a dangerous place, but yeah I'm kind of sick of it myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was wondering when this would happen. Here's Christopher Nolan's statement.

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

The link also confirms that they are NOT cancelling future screenings, just like I thought.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funnily enough, there's less crime than there used to be, it's just the news tends to exaggerate things, not that the world isn't a dangerous place, but yeah I'm kind of sick of it myself.

Yeah. 10, 20 years ago things were worse, but we heard about them less. As is the price of the internet, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 4

http://gamepolitics....lorado-shooting

CNN Contributer theorizes that video games may be connected to shooting.

Video games had nothing to do with this. For the love of god, do we have to bring them up every single time a shooting happens? The argument is very flawed and pointing them at "Call of Duty" is one of the worst things you can do.

With this you said reminded me of that Law and Order episode....

Anyways, I think that some violent video games can make you kill depending how long you played the game, but I don't support banning them, I clearly love shooting games