Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

Her outfit in XIII wasn't bad-looking on its own merits, but it was a little weird. Literally no other soldier in the game wore an outfit anything like Lightning's, and I'm pretty sure we saw her wearing it when she was supposed to have been on duty.

It would've been fine if they'd put her in a mook suit in flashbacks and had her change into a civilian outfit before boarding the purge train, but... nope. Apparently she just happened to be the only Sanctum trooper who got to wear a miniskirt to work.

Well, Protagonists tend to have outfits that differentiate them from the rest.

I think the skirt is more of an aesthetic choice to make the leg pouch stand out.

It's not a major issue, but it kind of dug at me after a while because of how often the game likes to remind the player that she's a soldier without ever really showing it, even through something as subtle as giving her outfit and the Sanctum uniforms some common elements.

The whole game is a little short on visual cohesion like that, though, as I recall. Nothing was really bad-looking on its own, but most of the characters, monsters and vehicles seemed like they were designed in a vacuum and then assigned to different parts of the game at random. There at least should've been a clearer contrast between the Pulse stuff and the Cocoon stuff, particularly at the beginning.

Well, Protagonists tend to have outfits that differentiate them from the rest.

I think the skirt is more of an aesthetic choice to make the leg pouch stand out.

So we are pretending that SOLDIER from FFVII did not happen and the plot point was essentially Cloud being(pretending to be) a First Class Soldier with a certain attire that First Class Soldiers would wear?

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-order the game to get...Cloud's outfit along with the Buster Sword.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvcqxfmPOE

Picture:

b4be3121549b41d395553d49fec0183d.jpg

Some new screenshots of the game

Well, it's better than the other 2 costumes shown for her at least and it doesn't reek of sex appeal, so yeah.

Edited by KrazyBean

Square: We know you guys really want a FF7 remake... so here is a character everybody hates in a game series everybody hates dressed like the character you like.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I should pre-order this game...HOPE it's not a GameStop exclusive...

And everyone hates Lightning because....? Did she kill your mom?

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

And everyone hates Lightning because....?

Because.

Her dialogue is terrible.

She is a hypicrite in every game she's been in "Oh in FF13 i'll do this" "Oh I'm now in FF13-2 acting like I did in FF13 was bad" "It's lightning returns now, Those who follow the goddess are fools! No I swear I wasn't a goddess in the last game"

She acts like a spoilt brat when Serah tells her something important on her birthday and practically has a tantrum and makes the whole thing about her.

Gee Hope sounds like he might kill Snow... should I try and talk him out of it? Should I try to warn Snow/show some kind of humanity about my character that means I can warn him in a line of dialogue which doesn't take around 10 seconds to say... Nah... let em stab each other.

This kid just lost his mum and is now looking to me for guidance... .. ... Yeah I think I'll treat him like a twat for the next 6 hours.

Do I need to go on... oh hang on.

Did she kill your mom?

3r5v79.jpg

She does indeed hold some responsability for this one.

Oh. At first, I thought it was because she's more of a female version of Cloud and everyone hates Cloud. Or, they think Cloud is awesome and wouldn't want a character better than him.

I love Sazh more than Lightning but even though Lightning has made horrible decisions in the past, remember her parents died too and she's only human. She acts like a tough woman as she wanted to be independent and first thought friendships are nonsense, and will just bring her down. Yes she has been mean to Hope for a while, but now Hope and her are very close.

3r5v79.jpg

She does indeed hold some responsability for this one.

But it wasn't intentional.

====

1063844_10151451848252653_1230407029_o.j

FFVII Victory Fanfare included in preorder bonus? Oh dear, mockery incoming... -.-

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

Pre-order the game to get...Cloud's outfit along with the Buster Sword.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvcqxfmPOE

Oh look, a throwback to FFVII...TOO BAD IT ONLY MAKES ME WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME INSTEAD OF THIS ONE!.......also that classic victory fanfare:  Does that mean i get FFVII's victory fanfare for battles instead of the horrible ones this trilogy has? Cause if the answer is yes i'm glad, it will make the experience more tolerable.

Oh. At first, I thought it was because she's more of a female version of Cloud and everyone hates Cloud.

Actually my reason is that exactly. She is Cloud with boobs. I love Cloud as a character, but that doesn't mean every protagonist has to be like him.

Edited by Tetsuya Nomura

Lightning....doesn't actually look bad in cloud's outfit. Especially compared to all her own shitty outfits.

How ironic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh look, a throwback to FFVII...TOO BAD IT ONLY MAKES ME WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME INSTEAD OF THIS ONE!.......also that classic victory fanfare:  Does that mean i get FFVII's victory fanfare for battles instead of the horrible ones this trilogy has? Cause if the answer is yes i'm glad, it will make the experience more tolerable.

Well to get that victory fanfare, you have preorder the game as it is one of the bonuses.

Actually my reason is that exactly. She is Cloud with boobs. I love Cloud as a character, but that doesn't mean every protagonist has to be like him.

Every protagonist? Was there another character that is like Cloud that I'm missing?

Every protagonist? Was there another character that is like Cloud that I'm missing?

Squall, who i always took as Cloud without the complex backstory and more annoying then he needed to be.

Here's an idea: How about another Zidane(FFIX)? Someone that actually smiles regularly and has a playful personality? Where's my Zidane sucessor? He's still the best main character in the series by far.

Squall_Leonhart_character.jpg

My voice actor was David Boreanaz

Though Zidane was different... he was part monkey... then we got Tidus, who was like Zidane but no tail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, can somebody please explain to me why the hell is Hope a kid again? "Not aging" doesn't mean you get younger, it just means...well...you stay the same. All the other characters are the same, why is Hope is a kid now?  Seriously, did they even think anything, i mean any tiny little thing through while making these games?

hope.jpg

I....um....that pose.....Is Hope....you know......."special"?

Also, can somebody please explain to me why the hell is Hope a kid again? "Not aging" doesn't mean you get younger, it just means...well...you stay the same. All the other characters are the same, why is Hope is a kid now?  Seriously, did they even think anything, i mean any tiny little thing through while making these games?

Honestly...I'm asking this exact same question. He's already grown so why did he go back to being a kid when time stopped? LOL, this is not boding well for the story of this game already.

hope.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_Y3_eRfOU

Sorry...I just had to. C'mon, LOOK AT THAT POSE MAN. That's one hell of a feminine pose! ...I'll just leave this here too.

Lightning-cloud.png

Edited by KrazyBean

He's clearly supposed to be half-sitting on some kind of invisible ledge, not doing a prancy Vanille dance.

Well... in my various posts about FFX-2 and all it's problems... I pointed out several plot holes including Hopes Marvelous Time Travelling machine that we never see...

Obviously this is a picture of it. It's a unicycle... thats invisible.

Um... seriously? Hope is young again? That makes no sense at all. Granted, I can't tell what this artwork is showing.

Hope used a sort of "pod" in XIII-2 that basically condensed time around himself and Alyssa. That's how he traveled to the future, he just couldn't travel back in time. Since it was older Hope in XIII-2, he should be the same age now (since people have stopped aging after the end of XIII-2). But younger? That's not possible.

To be honest though, do we know if he's actually the same age as in XIII here? It just looks like he has his old outfit here. The only way to know if he's actually younger is if they compared him in XIII and XIII-2 side-by-side. For all we know, too, this is just a hologram of a younger hope.

EDIT: Yeah, I read it up on the Wiki. Wtf? Now I'm very annoyed. I liked the fact that Hope had aged in XIII-2.

Edited by JaidynReiman

Oh. At first, I thought it was because she's more of a female version of Cloud and everyone hates Cloud. Or, they think Cloud is awesome and wouldn't want a character better than him.

You clearly are in full fangirl mode to suggest that everyone hates Cloud. Everyone hated the regression he went through in Advent Children, but it was rectified in Advent Children Complete(Too little too late, perhaps). Very few fans hate Cloud as a character. They hated the milking that was Final Fantasy 7 Compilation and desperately wanted a remake that we will never get. Fans hate Lightning because she is just apart of the wrong side of the milking. First, they ruined her character by humbling her in Final Fantasy 13. I liked Snarky serious Lightning. There was nothing wrong with her. In fact, it was the one thing that differentiated her from other Final Fantasy protagonists is that she was super confident in herself without being arrogant nor plagued with emotional/psychological duress and she had the right to be. Then they all of the sudden placed her in some motherly role because of sexism the writers felt a need to humble her by taking care of a kid with issues. Then it was the whole issue with Snow and Hope and how she handled that poorly. All of the sudden, with little to no character development towards it, Lightning becomes this Kamina/Simon character spouting off some shit from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann spiel just before the boss fight. She had a lot of potential to be a great character like Cloud, Yuna, and Terra, but the writers dropped the ball and settled for tired ass cliches. And this is just the first game.

We can do a step by step comparison why Cloud fucking worked as a character during , before, and after his main game if you want, but Lightning does not compare to a Cloud Strife or any character in Final Fantasy 6 to be honest.

Um... seriously? Hope is young again? That makes no sense at all. Granted, I can't tell what this artwork is showing.

Hope used a sort of "pod" in XIII-2 that basically condensed time around himself and Alyssa. That's how he traveled to the future, he just couldn't travel back in time. Since it was older Hope in XIII-2, he should be the same age now (since people have stopped aging after the end of XIII-2). But younger? That's not possible.

To be honest though, do we know if he's actually the same age as in XIII here? It just looks like he has his old outfit here. The only way to know if he's actually younger is if they compared him in XIII and XIII-2 side-by-side. For all we know, too, this is just a hologram of a younger hope.

EDIT: Yeah, I read it up on the Wiki. Wtf? Now I'm very annoyed. I liked the fact that Hope had aged in XIII-2.

Exactly. This is confusing as hell and doesn't make sense.

How did you even reach this conclusion Ming Ming? *sigh* I think Turbojet tackled the reaction to this post better I could've. And we've had characters better than Cloud already. Zidane sure, hell I'll even toss in Vivi, Celes, and Kuja off the top of my head.

Exactly. This is confusing as hell and doesn't make sense.

You mean like that baby chocobo that fell into the time storm(?) or what the fuck ever? Or the time some great disaster was supposed to hit the land of 13-2 but didn't despite the fact that the future is messed up and says otherwise. Or in 13 when it's flat out said that the super beings of that world are so advanced that we wouldn't be able to comprehend their language and then their divine language is fucking English?

Yeah.

Edited by Balding Spider

Lightning to appear in Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV. (No guys, it's official)

BOVY2aICcAAIacx.png

pGc1nR7.jpg

It's an optional quest though. Once you take on that quest, Lightning helps you out completing that quest and when you fully finish it you'll unlock her XIII costume and weapons for the game.

Now let her have an appearance in KH3...

Fine whatever, I don't have any real interest in the game. But really Square, I still don't love her.