Awoo.

Man of Steel (Superman Reboot)

Winston

man-of-steel-poster-02.jpg

Premise

Clark Kent is a journalist in his twenties who was adopted as a child by Martha and Jonathan Kent after he was transported to Earth from the dying planet Krypton. Raised with the values of his adoptive parents, he feels alienated because of his unique super abilities and struggles to find his place in life. When the world is attacked, he becomes the hero Superman to protect its people.

Information

Man of Steel is an upcoming British-American superhero film under the development of Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer. Based on the DC Comics character Superman, the film will be a reboot of the Superman film series. Using Chicago and Vancouver as backdrops, with production to be based in west suburban Plano, Illinois, the film entered principal photography in August 2011, for a June 14, 2013, theatrical release by Warner Bros., which also includes IMAX.

Cast

• Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman
  • Amy Adams as Lois Lane
  • Michael Shannon as General Zod
  • Russell Crowe as Jor-El
  • Ayelet Zurer as Lara Lor-Van
  • Laurence Fishburne as Perry White
  • Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent
  • Diana Lane as Martha Kent
  • Harry Lennix as General Swanwick
  • Antje Traue as Faora
  • Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy
  • Richard Schiff as Dr. Emil Hamilton

Trailers

Teaser

2nd Teaser

I'm pretty excited about this movie, I've always been a pretty big fan of Superman, and all his films and animated series. So I can't wait for this reboot.

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 5

I am so stoked for this movie. But I am a bit worried due to the fact that it's being directed by the same person who directed 300. But it's still gonna be awesome to see Supes on the big screen again.

• Thumbs Up 2

SatanicSon08.jpg

Hmm...This reboot looks pretty promising.

Well, I'm excited. Superman on the Big-screen again? Count me in!

I'm definitely going to see this in theater's when it comes out.

Edited by Hank Hill

I am so stoked for this movie. But I am a bit worried due to the fact that it's being directed by the same person who directed 300. But it's still gonna be awesome to see Supes on the big screen again.

On the other hand, Christopher Nolan is producing it and Jonathon Nolan (

) is writing. The 300 director is really awful at writing, but as far as direction goes, he's pretty good.

Never been a fan of any of the Superman movies and that costume in the poster looks too "Spider-Man" for my liking. But I'm willing to give just about any superhero movie a shot, so we'll see. If it's anywhere near as good as some of the recent animated Superman movies, it should be at least half-decent.

But I am a bit worried due to the fact that it's being directed by the same person who directed 300.

Zack Snyder, you mean? Prepare for awesome yet gratuitous slow-motion during the action scenes. \o/

• Thumbs Up 2

Now THIS is a reboot I can get behind!

I loved the original films, and I loved Superman Returns even if it was just a quasi-reboot/sequel.

It'll be nice to step into a Superman movie without any baggage. A fresh start to the film franchise, and with a Dark Knight connection to boot!

I wonder if this Superman is meant to exist in the Dark Knight universe? Not that they'll say so, but it would be fun to think of them both sharing a universe even if they don't cross paths.

--

Regarding the trailer itself:

Looks like Clark does a bit of soul searching a la Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.

While I don't want another origin story, when that kid put his hands on his hips and did the Superman pose, I did get chills. Very cool stuff.

Btw, does that butterfly mean he will face the mighty Monarch!?!

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Stoked for it, but teaser is a bit underwhelming, they showed a trailer at Comic Con last week that I loved, don't know why they didn't show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7YDU8yQ-s

cant see shit but looks amazing. Looks nothing like a Snyder film, interesting, although i'm sure he'll bring it when it comes to action scenes, cause I really want to just see Supes go all out and tear shit up.

Edited by Star-Lord

Consider me interested by the Nolan Brothers' involvement; I really couldn't give less of a shit about Superman. He's as dull as they come, as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm still on the fence about this. And saying I'm not thrilled about Zack Snyder being the director is putting it mildly at best since he's only ever really given me one really enjoyable film in his directorial career. And Nolan being a producer isn't winning me over either, I mean hes just the producer of the film and not the directer.

Honestly my biggest issue is that I worry they cannot/will not get Superman right, hell Grant Morrison aside not many seem to be able to even within the comics. And considering that Snyder is the same guy that thought that young women running around in lingerie and pole dancing during a rape trauma was empowering to women.I doubt he will as well.

Edited by Balding Spider

Meh, not a huge fan of Supes, he always seemed generic and overpowered to me, so not massively hyped for this. Will probably still go to see it eventually though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man I cant be the only one who likes Superman as a character. Of course im speaking as someone who strictly watches the animated dc stuff.

• Thumbs Up 5

Man I cant be the only one who likes Superman as a character. Of course im speaking as someone who strictly watches the animated dc stuff.

Superman is an idealistic superhero that no one can ever relate to nor even get. He is damn near omniscient and since his character arc is essentially "I just want to be normal" he comes off as portraying humanity as he views it in his persona, "Clark Kent." Lifeless, boring, and generally incompetent. I'm sorry, but I have always rooted for Lex Luthor as a kid and constantly view Superman as the real bad guy.

Hell, in my mind, Superman is Suzaku and Lex Luthor is Lelouch of Brittania.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 3

I love Superman as a character for the exact reasons some people hate him. I LIKE the concept of a man with god like powers trying to come to terms with his great strength. It's not "with great power comes great responsibility", it's "with all the power in the world comes HUGE expectations from humanity". I also really like the father/son dynamic.

The Reeves movies (well, the first two) handled things really well. Also, the All-Star Superman mini-series is amazing.

Superman is an idealistic superhero that no one can ever relate to nor even get. He is damn near omniscient and since his character arc is essentially "I just want to be normal" he comes off as portraying humanity as he views it in his persona, "Clark Kent." Lifeless, boring, and generally incompetent. I'm sorry, but I have always rooted for Lex Luthor as a kid and constantly view Superman as the real bad guy.

Hell, in my mind, Superman is Suzaku and Lex Luthor is Lelouch of Brittania.

Again, I can't speak for the comics, but from shows like Justice League and Superman the Animated series, I just don't get that vibe whatsoever.

Again, I can't speak for the comics, but from shows like Justice League and Superman the Animated series, I just don't get that vibe whatsoever.

Because Paul Dini realized how utterly offensive that is. Superman is more "I'm afraid of my own power" than trying to make everything right based on his small town American bunkin values. Hell, Batman calls him out on this the moment Superman(I refuse to call him Clark Kent, that is his mask, Superman is who he really is) casually shows a rather primitive view of morality by calling him a Justice Lord. DCAU has a great, if still mildly boring, Superman. I can't speak for All-Stars Superman, but the character for more and less 60 years has been exactly what I've said. His values are America's values and have never been what's right for the world, but what's right for America.

It is safe to say that I just don't like the character, the premise of the character, or the implications that the character brings. He(Superman) has rarely ever been able to think for himself outside of DCAU and I honestly could never empathize with him. Hell, it seems like the world would be better off without Superman since he seems to stop Lex Luthor who comes up with these absolutely genius ideas that could help feed developing countries or produce infinite energy just because Lex Luthor views himself as beyond God thus stifling humanity's potential.

Then, again, maybe I just dislike him because his entire existence stems from a misinterpretation of Nietzsche's Ubermensch.

And I am not hating that there is a reboot of the movie. I'm just offering a different interpretation of the character.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 3

Fuck Superman. Nothing can kill him, except a stupid rock. He's just so. fucking. boring.

I don't care who makes this, I'm not interested at all.

Fuck Superman. Nothing can kill him, except a stupid rock.

And the radiation of a red sun, magic, or a severe bludgeoning from other superman like entities such as Doomday, Darkseid, Brainiac, or say the movies villian General Zod and his crew of evil Kryptonians.

• Thumbs Up 6

Fuck Superman. Nothing can kill him, except a stupid rock. He's just so. fucking. boring.

....Um, do you know ANYTHING about Superman?

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, this is pretty trippy: http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF-toIu5JscE&start1=5&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz5DMCd7hv1w&start2=5&authorName=meahwahwah

Watch both Man of Steel and Superman Returns teasers side by side. Lots of similarities, I mean TONS of them. Even the fades match.

Figured I'd comment on this:

I wonder if this Superman is meant to exist in the Dark Knight universe? Not that they'll say so, but it would be fun to think of them both sharing a universe even if they don't cross paths.

Last I knew, the plan was to start from scratch. This will be the first movie of this 'verse, and it will be followed by the Batman reboot in 2015.