Awoo.

Man of Steel (Superman Reboot)

Winston

Just got back from seeing Man of Steel myself, and wow did they drop the ball in the second half of the movie. And that's a damn shame because the first half of the movie I was really enjoying it, seeing what shaped Clark as a child and everything he was struggling with was handled really well by Snyder. Then all that build up goes out the window in place of a lame superhuman shoving match with inconsistent CG'd people. *sigh*

Guess the Komodin "Meh" would be my rating, too bad there's definitely something here that failed to reach it's potential. Oh and Michael Shannon's Zod is really, really, forgettable. And I blame this both on the director and the script, Shannon's given no interesting or memorable dialogue to say, and Snyder should've let him have more fun with him not tighten his leash.

Hopefully they can get it right next time.

There's already a sequel confirmed to be in the works so there's a lot that can be improved on in the next one.

There's already a sequel confirmed to be in the works so there's a lot that can be improved on in the next one.

Hopefully among other things they'll also limit the amount of I-Hop plugs. What the hell was that even?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's at a 68% now. Plus only 50 reviews are in so it should go up soon once more reviews are submitted.

It's at the rotten rating now.

Still going to see it.

Just got back from it and holy shit this movie was AMAZING!!!!! Easily the best superman film in years.

That's not too hard when they haven't made one for 7 years.

tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

That's not too hard when they haven't made one for 7 years.

tongue.png

Granted it's not a live action film but I feel Superman Vs. the Elite get's everything about Superman right more than MOS did. It even show's him using his ole noggin to save the day.

Edited by Balding Spider

I saw Man Of Steel last night, so I'm here to post my thoughts.

With all the anticipation and hype for this film, expectations were quite high for me. The theater was full-on packed, people were even sitting in the stairs because they couldn't get seats. As soon as I saw a majority of the film, all my expectations were blown out of the water. Everything about this film lived up to the hype. Everyone did a great job with their roles, exceptionally Henry Cavill. He's a great Clark Kent and Superman, and the best actor to portray him as of yet (yes, I am even saying he's better than Christopher Reeve). Never before has the character have Superman being portrayed in such a humane and expressive manner as he is in this film. Amy Adams is an excellent Lois Lane and Michael Shannon (though a bit over-the-top at times) did a great job playing General Zod. The writing is good enough, sprinkled with some bits of humor. The narrative was surprisingly well-done, and the story of Clark trying to find his place in the world and finding out who he truly was was executed in such a great way. The action and visual effects (expected for any Snyder film) are nothing short of excellent, although in the third act the action scenes can get really repetitive and in a way drawn out. If you can tolerate these, you'll have no problem. If you can't tolerate most summer blockbuster aspects like that, you won't. Hey, and I almost forgot, Hans Zimmer's score is fucking beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUq5leMN7eo

Zimmer did a great job with the score, perfectly encompassing the amount of hope Superman brings to Earth and its people, along with an entire range of emotions of others in the film. As soon as that track kicked up along with "MAN OF STEEL" showing up at the end, the entire theater went up into a standing ovation. And I say, it was well deserved. You did it, Nolan and Snyder, you made the best Superman film as of late, and successfully brought him to a new millenium. Bravo, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan.

Bravo.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

So I watched this movie yesterday, and honestly, this was not good stuff.

The first two acts of this movie were great. I am not taking any merit from the movie when they built up Clark Kent. Although I was a little annoyed when the reasoning behind him not using his powers was to keep mankind from hating him.

It got to such a ridiculous degree that he even let his father die to keep it a secret. I was annoyed as I kept thinking to myself who in the right mind allows their father to be killed like that knowing they could stop it? Spider-man would have leaped at the chance to save Uncle Ben as his very inaction is what he regrets. Batman would have threw so many Batarangs to save his parents if had the ability to. No hero would just allow their loved ones to die like that, and when it came time for him to reveal his nature, I did not really notice any extreme prejudice towards him. If anything, it just seemed like procedure to deal with extraterrestrial beings in that way. They have to prove that they mean no harm before they actually do so. That was all it took. That is all what should have took. Superman saving a bus full of kids and then changing an opinion of a bully should have been a reminder that people aren't bastards.

But that was a personal issue that I had with the first two acts. The final act...holy shit Superman is fucking jerk. It is one thing to be hero, but it something completely different when you're complete disregard for public safety is the issue. The battles get ridiculous. Too ridiculous. The entire battle with Zod was when I was literally in hysterics. They went from Earth to Space and then back to Earth again. They must have singlehandledly destroyed half the city with just that fight. And I kept thinking that it was Superman's fault that the battle escalated the way it did because going by how the movie was structured and how Superman had to grow into his powers, you could say that he could have easily taken those Krytonians out if he just stopped dicking around. Which brings me to the climax of the film when Superman finally had Zod subdued and Zod saw fit to heat vision some kids just to be a dick. Superman begged him to stop, but Zod was in full melt a bunch fuckers down mode. Then Superman just snapped his neck. Fucking really? All of that damage? All of the people who died just because you fucking wanted to find out your origin? And all you had to do was snap his neck?  Superman, you are the biggest asshole in comic book movies. Holy shit. Then the movie had the nerve to paint him as a hero who just knows better than humanity. Fuck you, Supes. I just don't like Superman as a character, maybe. I never have and this movie embodied everything I hate about the character.

The movie was okay.Great special effects and shit. Good Summer movie. There is not much (intentional) humor or moments of levity as Superman has the personality akin to watching wet paint dry. Everybody just has this messiah complex with him so he takes himself super seriously as if he is destined to do things except cause more shit for humanity. No fucking really? If I were living in this universe, I for one would be super pissed with the guy and it has nothing to do with me not being ready for Superheroes. It has more to do with it being entirely his fucking fault.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 9

I thought it was really good. The final fight scene drags on a bit but overall I enjoyed it and for a Superman movie it was really damn good. I am the only one who enjoyed Michael Shannon as General Zod I didn't think he was as OTT as others made him out to be? 

I also thought Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent was really good as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw it during a midnight showing, man there was /no one/ there. I blame me living in a place where no one ever seems to go to the movie theater, I feel bad for the owners....they must be hurting if they can't even draw a crowd for one of the biggest summer blockbusters.

Anyways, I thought it was meh....one of the lower tier super hero movies I've seen. I think that had to do with some nerd rage issues on my part, but I mainly think the narrative (especially in the first act) was a mess. It took me halfway through the movie to actually see what they were going for with what they were setting up during the first half, but until then everything just seemed like mess of the story jumping around, seemingly really important stuff just being thrown together, important characters just being thrown right in with hardly any idea of what their motives where or what they were trying to do. The flashbacks (to Krypton) were way more well done I think than the storyline surrounding Superman. 

I have to say I didn't care for Lois, I actually went in pretty blank so I didn't know it would be Amy Adams, and while I love her, I thought the character's place didn't make a lot of sense and-

The kiss left me groaning, as I felt there was almost nothing to their relationship besides he rescued her from falling a couple times. I get that it's the classic image of 'Superman flies in and saves Lois' but in modern super hero movies I hope for more chemistry and relationship development than that. Even in the original spiderman trilogy where Mary Jane had all the personality of a cardboard cutout, I at least felt that Peter Parker had really loved her for years and so when they got together it made sense to me

There were also some issues I had with the plot 

The biggest one being right in the beginning. Now I don't know the Superman cannon very well, so maybe this is in line with the comics or something, but I honestly /can not believe/ that the punishment for the rebels was to /blast them into mother fucking space off their dying planet while everyone perished/. Seriously. And it's not even like at that point nobody knew it was going to happen, right in the beginning it seemed like the council agreed with Superman's dad that they were fucked. Seriously, when you pull something so stupid like that in the first 10 minutes, it's hard to buy the rest of the plot.

Also I'm still not sure why Lois went on the ship. Literally all she did was fuck up their plans by learning how to destroy them, they didn't even threaten superman with harming her if he didn't cooperate. I'm sure it was implied, but geeze what was that about?

Regardless the movie picked up in the second half for me and was mostly dumb, big action fun, so all in all I didn't hate it....but it wasn't the best. 

• Thumbs Up 5

For Snads.

The origin varies from era to era. The detail of the explosion of Kryton, however, has never been this explicit as the reasons for the parents to send Superdick to Earth was because shit was about to explode. This origin was not based on any particular comic book or series unlike the the Batman trilogy in which it was based on Batman: Year One. So this was Nolan just trying to put his own creative spin on the story and as you noted, it made no sense.

I agree with everything you said about the movie although what we disliked about the movie are different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got back from Man of Steel. Me and my dad watched it and we agreed that while it was a fun film, the tone was a little too dark for our tastes, the film ended about 4 times, and there wasn't enough of a balance between dialogue and action.

Saw it last night. The movie itself really wasn't anything special to me. Now, admitedly the visuals and musical score were fucking glorious, and most everything in the first half with Superman's little origin story with flashbacks of his time in Smallville was all pretty neat. However, I found the characters in general to be pretty bland and forgettable, and the plot took a serious nose dive for me around the time Zod and pals showed up.

Warning: Spoilers and me possibly being dumb and missing something

So, some of the things I want to call bullshit on with this movie:

The whole banishing to the Phantom Zone thing in the beginning: Some posts above me have already pointed out how damn dumb it was to send a bunch of criminals to safety while the rest of the planet had to suffer a firey death. Though, I don't entirely understand just why and how they were able to escape from the zone after the planet's collapse/explosion. Wouldn't the destruction of the portal to the Phantom Zone just leave them trapped there for eternity? And even if it lead to some kind of transdimensional rift, why wasn't it shown in the little flashback scene, and wouldn't it have been more of a black hole than a little gateway that they could freely move through?

The whole power debocle: I really got confused on how obtaining the powers worked since they seemed to contradict themselves, mainly during the ship scene. On the ship, Superman was rendered to the power of a human due to the ship's air being more like that of Krypton's, but the moment that it's at Earth levels, he's the only one who seems to get any sort of power bump. Then on Earth, all of Zod's cronies kept their little breather headsets on, and yet they seemed to gain most of Superman's powers anyway, which I still don't entirely get.

Superman and the World Engine: I was hoping for some sort of scene where Superman would have to take the World Engine down at a heavy disadvantage in one of those "A hero is still a hero even without his power" sort of deals, with the little foreshadowing where Louis mentioned that he might get weaker around the machine. The only thing that seemed weak about him was that he coughed

After the Phantom Zone explosion thing: I find it weird how Lois was falling away from what was essentially a massive black hole, while things like massive chunks of buildings and cars were all floating up to it. Also the kiss and dialogue that came with it afterwards was so damn forced and cringeworthy.

The Super Fights: As Turbojet mentioned, they were too fucking insane, and Superman too heavily disregarded the safety of others. I also almost laughed at how Zod almost frying four people with his heat vision in front of Superman got such an emotional reaction from him, even though so many more were killed that same day, with Superman probably causing a nice chunk of those casualties. Plus the finisher was pretty abrupt and anticlimactic, can't really say I like that either of them could of ended the fight that easily

Also the little nods to Lex Corp and Wayne Industries were pretty neat

Overall: Meh/10

Edited by Panda Cero
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know... Superman as a character? These days he is generic. They had to change him up, maybe for the better or worst? Honestly they couldn't remake him in his old campy ways because they tried enough. This is what the public needed to see and I did. I know theres alot of reasons to like and dislike the film but it was darker. Superman was more of a dick (which I like over the whole boyscout routine of his)  so in the end... probably my favorite Superman film by far. Does it beat other super hero movies like Ironman 3 / Avengers to me? Clearly not.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know... Superman as a character? These days he is generic.

So I take it someone's not read All-Star. Or Kingdom Come. Or Final Crisis. Or seen the cartoon. Or the Justice League cartoon. Or the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. Or read Superman Red Son. Or Luthor: Man of Steel. Or bloody well any time Grant Morrison wrote words on a piece of paper with Superman pictures on them.

Superman is perhaps anything but generic, especially nowadays, as comics tend towards grittier heroes and cynical re-writes. Time and time again, when given to a writer who knows what to do with him, he becomes an amazingly interesting hero in his own right. The character is not the problem. The writers are.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 3

So I take it someone's not read All-Star. Or Kingdom Come. Or Final Crisis. Or seen the cartoon. Or the Justice League cartoon. Or the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. Or read Superman Red Son. Or Luthor: Man of Steel. Or bloody well any time Grant Morrison wrote words on a piece of paper with Superman pictures on them.

Superman is perhaps anything but generic, especially nowadays, as comics tend towards grittier heroes and cynical re-writes. Time and time again, when given to a writer who knows what to do with him, he becomes an amazingly interesting hero in his own right. The character is not the problem. The writers are.

I actually did read all of them because im a huge comic reader myself. But in the end? For Superman? You need an entire ark, multiple comics with characters to make him .... do things differently and do crazy writing. For a movie? You can't do it, to short of a time to do SO much. So thats where the problem lies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally saw this today.  Admittedly I overhyped it.  I was stupidly excited because the trailers looked so damn good (which is rare for a film for me to overhype it, usually I set my expectations for films fairly realistically).  However, overall it was still an enjoyable experience.  I really did like the fact that it tried to create a more engaging story, and the balance of story to action to fight scenes was actually very good.  I felt engrossed in the character of Superman which is something I haven't felt for the character in basically forever.  The way that the characters were built and developed as well as the performances from all the actors felt were very enjoyable (Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Russell Crowe in particular were amazing).  The soundtrack is simply incredible.  Hans Zimmer delivers yet again.  Action was relentlessly fast and over the top though admittedly too much so and there were points were the effects just felt fake and it broke the immersion somewhat (of course there has to be that suspension of disbelief but even with that taken into account there were points where it just didn't seem all that well done).  The main issue though is probably how broken up everything felt.  I just felt at various points in the film (particularly in the first half) where stuff wasn't elaborated upon as much as I would've liked for example.  It made it feel very disjointed and almost incomplete despite being about 2 and a half hours long.  Though in the grand scheme of things I did enjoy it.

Also, don't care what anyone says, Henry Cavill is a damn fine looking man.  I'm not even gay but that man is beautiful.  

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

I just came back from seeing it today.

It was okay. I'm by no means a Superman fan. I typically see the Man of Steel as the super hero equivalent of a boy scout. Always ready to serve, please, and help, but not willing to make the tough decisions.

This movie kind of shook that notion up for me, as it showed that he could and can make the hard choices when pushed to it. I literally screamed when he broke General Zodd's neck, as in most motion media featuring him - he makes a conscientious choice not to maim/kill. Granted it was justified with all the destruction and murder that took place beforehand - but wow.

Zodd's character was also not entirely unsympathetic, either as you could really see that he wanted what was best for his people. Even if it meant the subservience/extinction of the human race.

One thing that I thought was weird and a bit unwarranted was the obvious Christ parallel they played up. First Kyrptonian naturally born in ages, infused with the best genetic code of his race, and technically considered a "god" among humans. Kinda bleh given my agnostic/atheist tendencies, but okay. I get it. He's special.  He can do things no other normal human being can. They could have left it at that without going into that territory.

All in all, I enjoyed it, especially since it's been a good while since Superman's had an actual decent movie.

The Christ tendencies and idea that he will actually kill as a last resource must seem pretty odd to those who haven't read Super Man in the past couple of decades, tbh

I saw Man of Steel Friday night, and I was pleasantly surprised. I walked in expecting it to be least be decent, seeing how Christopher Nolan produced it, but I was never much of a Superman fan to begin with. I always liked him in the DCAU, and read "Birthright" and "All Star Superman", but walking out of the theater, I'm officially sold on the character. The casting was really damn good for this movie. I didn't know what to think of Henry Cavill's casting, and Amy Adams was a bit of an odd choice for Lois Lane. By the end of the film, I was really impressed by everyone in their roles. Lois in this movie isn't exactly how I picture her, as I've been spoiled by the DCAU version, but it's a nice, unique take on her. And Man, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon make the roles their own. Cavill's version of Superman is the one we know and love, but is updated for the modern audience: he's still a patriotic, heroic do-gooder, but has to come to terms with his alien background. As for Shannon.. love his portrayal of Zod! Again, I didn't picture him as a gruff, no-nonsense general, but was proved wrong again. I also really enjoyed Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White. 

Anyway, aside from the brilliant casting, the rest of the movie was great. When I saw the trailers, I expected a more grounded, realistic Superman, but I'm surprised about how Sci-Fi the movie is. A lot of people in the theater around me were smirking when watching the opening scenes on Krypton, but I thought it benefited the movie, for trying to tell us the film makers aren't forgetting about Superman's background, and are trying to expand upon it for the audience. Something I was worried about when going in to this film was that Superman would be incredibly over powered, which is why I'm not a fan of the character. He is overpowered, but it obviously works fine in the context of the film, seeing how he's facing off against Kryptonians that share his power.

Bottom Line, if you haven't seen Man of Steel yet, go drive to the nearest movie theater and watch it now. In my opinion, it's one of my favorite superhero films in years, and is easily the best film DC has ever made, aside from Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.

My thoughts on the film:

It was ok. I enjoyed the first part and I especially liked that they explored Krypton more, but the second part is where I feel they dropped the ball and missed so many opportunites. Personally I was bugged that Superman actually killed Zod. Yes, he's killed before, but generally it's very unlike him to do so.The film felt so choppy too and they really should have done a better job at the editing.

Saw it tonight, and before I'd begin I'd like to clarify that I'm not a Superman fan.

It was rather average. The action scenes are pretty good, and I liked the childhood flashbacks, but everything else was pretty average. There were some cheesy moments that I thought made things fun a bit, but I think some (intentional) laughs and some character development (especially regarding Zod, in retrospect he was literally made of cardboard in terms of personality) could had helped this movie. I think Snyder should bring another director on board for the sequel in terms of plot and character development, because it doesn't seem he can handle them well compared to his action scenes. I think Hans Zimmer's score was probably the most disappointing aspect. Compared to The Dark Knight trilogy, it's hardly memorable. I guess there was some unfortunate truth to what he said when he claimed he wasn't the right man for the job.

So I saw the film tonight...It was actually pretty good. I'll try to refrain from spoilers, but I felt the film did everything a modern superhero movie needed to do. 

Now I'm not the biggest Superman fan, I never disliked him I just felt characters like Batman & Flash were far more interesting characters and this admittedly comes from watching the DCAU. I felt this movie did a great job at showing Clark's transition to Superman, you can tell he's doubting his purpose and didn't understand what he was or why he could do the things he did. It was interesting because I never once thought about why Clark ever wanted to be a hero beyond the simple fact that it was the right thing to do, so it was nice to see the film elaborate on that.

The second half into the climax really shows why Superman is fucking Superman. The film knew how powerful he was and made sure to portray that while still giving him struggles to go through. I know people didn't like how much collateral damage he caused but how given the antagonists and their abilities, it was kind of a necessary evil. How many Superman films really portray his abilities to their fullest extent? And people act like this hasn't happened before. The final fight was short and to the point, but ended on a particularly chilling note that legitimately shocked me. I understand why it happened, but still damn because it was so against the norm.

The characters...could have been more interesting. Henry gives a wonderful performance as Superman in the quieter scenes, but when he screams it just seemed off to me. Zod is really over the top, there were a few scenes where I was laughing at his performance but then he gives a surprisingly emotional speech before the final fight which completely changed my opinion of his performance. I do wish we knew more about his background beyond the few vague hints we were given. Lois plays a somewhat larger role than normal, but she's still kinda just there and of course her token romance with Superman. Jonathan Kent was a dumbass. I understand he wanted the best for his son but there's a scene that really bugged me with him. I kinda wish we knew more about Jor El and Zodd and see why they had such a falling out. I did like Zod's female minion, she was badass.

The Visual effects are AMAZING. They're on par with that of the Avengers and that's saying something. The action flows wonderfully and the CGI is hardly noticeable...most of the time. This shows pretty well in the climax.

As for my problems with the film, aside from the characters being somewhat underdeveloped it really tries to hammer home how much of a messiah figure Superman is. I know that's essentially what he is in the DC universe but still, a little moderation would have helped. Most of Clark's backstory is told in flashbacks, which have a habit of sporadically showing up in the film. But other than that, it was good. I know some comic purists are complaining how Superman isn't the clear cut boy scout he was in the Silver Age, but this isn't the Silver age its the Modern era and classic superhero tropes would have been severely out of place in the film. And its not like the film doesn't address Supe's idealistic side, let's just say he's pretty shaken up after the final fight.

So yea, good flim. Not as good as the Marvel movies or the Dark Knight Trilogy but definitely above the original films and Returns by a long shot. Looking forward to a sequel.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I got back from Man of Steel. Good movie, but not great, and I thought it focused too much on action over plot. Overall good but disappointing and can't stand up to Marvel's movies or the Dark Knight trilogy. I agree with Azure: the characters were very much underdeveloped, and the way the movie kinda told Clark's backstory exclusively in flashbacks was kinda weird. I do see potential here though. I hope in a next movie we get tons more character development and more plot, as opposed to this movie's big focus on action.

One thing I did like is how Supes was less of a Boy Scout then usual. How he snapped Zod's neck, so unexpected and something you'd never expect Supes to do, but it was really damn effective and caught me off guard.

So yeah. Overall good, could have been much better, want a sequel with more potential realized. 

I'm not sure if I tempered my expectations about the film in light of the middling reception, but all I really wanted was Superman punching shit and by golly I got Superman punching shit. Over-the-top DBZ action? It's about damn time we got a movie that finally did it right. It didn't feel overwhelming either, probably because amidst the explosions we would still be treated to some semblance of ridiculous choreography between the combatants, zooming in and out between the close-quarters combat and the overall destruction happening as a result. There was actual pacing there, and it prevented it from lulling into Battleship or Transformers territory.

If I were so concerned about the active character development, it would be that Clark and Lois needed a shitload more chemistry to justify their relationship. They really needed to be the emotional hook for this movie if only for her prominence throughout the film, and slower moments focused on their interactions together to better sell the believability of their relationship would've worked wonders. I was fine with the flashback angle though. We all know the basic points of Superman's origins and early life. I didn't want a film to basically take a third of its time establishing what we already know at the expense of the modern conflict, so the use of flashbacks to me killed two birds with one stone: getting that stuff in there since it is a reboot, and also using it to punctuate moments of Superman's journey.

If anything, I was more annoyed with the dialogue, especially from Superman. He sounded so stilted and formal a lot of the time, which I suppose I can attribute to the secrecy of his life and all the shit he put up with, but damn if he didn't seem wooden. His first flight was a welcome change from that, and I kinda wanted more of that out of him. You're fucking Superman; have some more fun, eh?

Regardless, I'd gladly see it again, just for that action alone. So gud.

• Thumbs Up 5

Saw it last night and I think it was a good movie...with a lot of flaws. If not for the flaws here and there, Man of Steel could have been greater than any modern superhero made. It has a lot of potential, though it seems that it suffered from too many cooks in the kitchen.

I would like to start by saying that Henry Cavill was an average Superman. Like Turbojet said, sometimes it was almost as looking wet paint dry. I'm going as far to say that he is a poor man's Tom Welling (it doesn't help that they really look alike.)

The movie did not make feel connected to Clark like at all. One of the mistakes I noticed in many stuff from Superman's franchise is that they tried to play him as this perfect messiah that's going to lead the world into a better future. The good stuff is when they tell you Superman is this messiah but he is as human and flawed as the rest of us. The movie for the most part, tried to do the latter but fell short of doing it right.

And I blamed this problem on Clark's nomad trip during the first part of the movie. A better way I thought it could have been handled if they would've made Clark a reporter of the Daily Planet since the beginning. They could have established a better relationship between him and Lois, still showed how he struggled to hide his powers from the public and could've gone the Smallville route and had "the Blur" saving people throughout Metropolis and the world before he became Superman.

I have a lot of other complaints but others have already stated them here. I loved the visuals and that they managed to incorporate many elements from Superman mythos. Here's hoping that the sequel addresses some of the problems of this film so it could be better.

Also, did anyone notice that a lot of the elements from Krypton and the overall "alien technology" share a lot in common with what we saw in Green Lantern?