Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

OK, this is seriously starting to piss me off, why the hell is John Lasseter not letting directors do their job? Chris Sanders, Brenda Chapman and now Bob Peterson. John, didn't you say various times that you want your employees to make the movies they want to make?

Now he's firing everybody that doesn't agree with him.

I mean, yeah what really matters is that the movies stay good, but what the hell?

Edited by Noctis Caelum

I don't know why John would take a guy like Bob off. He's one of the biggest Pixar names and surely would be able to handle the director's seat very well by now. If nothing else I hope he's just been removed as a director and not from the studio entirely.

Although Pixar remains my favorite animation company, I'm quickly losing faith in Lassater himself due to these recent decisions (what is this, the third or fourth time he's replaced a director?) and overall changes in Pixar's filmmaking philosophy.

• Thumbs Up 7

Hey wasn't Pixar working on a film based on the day of the dead too, what ever happened to that? I hope they didn't can that film, I was really looking forward to it .(latino hereXD) 

Although Pixar remains my favorite animation company, I'm quickly losing faith in Lassater himself due to these recent decisions (what is this, the third or fourth time he's replaced a director?) and overall changes in Pixar's filmmaking philosophy.

Just switch to Studio Ghibli Sean, no corporate bullshit there wink.png

Hey wasn't Pixar working on a film based on the day of the dead too, what ever happened to that? I hope they didn't can that film, I was really looking forward to it .(latino hereXD) 

It's still happening it's just too far off to release anything yet. We've still got the good dinosaur, finding dory & inside out to go, not to mention terror Toy Story and whatever shorts they're working on. The day of the dead film will come just be patient :) (I say be patient, i'm clawing welts in the wall with desperation to see it too :P)

• 3 weeks later...

Double post but.......it's nearly here

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/13/toy-story-of-terror-banners-show-off-the-characters-scared-faces/

toy-story-of-terror-1-600x600.jpg?f6a06b

though I must say....I'm a bit nervous. I was massively looking forward to this when it was announced but then there was nothing but silence. I've heard literally nothing about it from announcement till now. Plus, from what I've seen pixar didn't even mention it at D23.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Pixar don't have much faith in it......

• Thumbs Up 1

^ I've been seeing a lot of Sky broadband tie-in ads for this special. I especially happened to like this animated one, which happened to play in front of a different video I was going to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTylIj70GPY

"We need to delay."

"Delay what, sir?"

"Everything."

As you might recall, "The Good Dinosaur" lost director Bob Peterson at the end of August, and there still hasn't been replacement named, likely leading to the bump of the movie from May 30, 2014 to November 25, 2015. Oh, but wasn't that the date of sequel "Finding Dory"? Yep, but it's now arriving on June 17, 2016. Damn.

Source.

So yeah, no Pixar film next year. Kinda blows, but better late than early and not up-to-par. Granted, Good Dinosaur's rocky development has me worried regardless. I'm also trying to figure out how this fits into their "one film-two film" deal they were advertising awhile back.

Excited for Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Though I'm curious as to see how Finding Dory pans out. Haven't seen Monsters University yet but it looks good.

Also, hated Cars, loathed Cars 2, detested Planes, will probably murder on account of Planes 2.

Excited for Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Though I'm curious as to see how Finding Dory pans out. Haven't seen Monsters University yet but it looks good.

Also, hated Cars, loathed Cars 2, detested Planes, will probably murder on account of Planes 2.

I thought Monsters University was fantastic, give it a look as soon as possible. Planes however, isn't a Pixar movie, it's a movie by DisneyToons Studios, a division of Walt Disney Animation Studios that has been mostly responsible for most of the Direct-to-video sequels and some theatrical films like A Goofy Movie, DuckTales; The Treasure of the Lost Lamp, The Tigger Movie, etc. Planes 2 will also be done by DisneyToons.

Oh, I was aware of Planes not being a Pixar movie; I was just saying how I hated the franchise in general.

I heard Monsters University had a lot of references to pop culture and stuff, specifically from 80s teen movies, about a year ago. I'm quite eager to see it; I've been wanting another Monsters Inc installment since I was three. So I'll definitely watch ASAP! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

"We need to delay."

"Delay what, sir?"

"Everything."

Source.

So yeah, no Pixar film next year. Kinda blows, but better late than early and not up-to-par. Granted, Good Dinosaur's rocky development has me worried regardless. I'm also trying to figure out how this fits into their "one film-two film" deal they were advertising awhile back.

So we're not getting a Pixar film next year? Shame, I really wanted to see that film. Better late but sublime than dreck that's on time.

Hopefully Pixar and Lassater can get their shit together with the extra year they have on their film's development now.

On another note, with Pixar out of the game for this year, that leaves Big Hero Six (WDAS) and *groan* Planes 2: Fire and Rescue (DisneyToon) on the block of 2014's animated Disney films.

Monsters University was fantastic, I enjoyed it just as much as the first, and that's quite an accomplishment. 

Brave was a huge disappointment, though, and Cars 2 is my most hated animated movie (not one of the worst I've ever seen, but probably the worst from a studio I actually have expectations of). Pixar, come on now...  :/

• Thumbs Up 6

"We need to delay."

"Delay what, sir?"

"Everything."

Source.

Well, that sucks.....I wasn't as annoyed as some people were about Peterson being taken off the film, that sort of thing happens semi-regularly with animated films. Something to do with animation directors not having the same rights as traditional film directors *shrugs* I dunno the ins and outs of it.

I assumed if they'd taken him off the project that there must have been some reason we weren't privy to. Not having a replacement in mind from the get go seems a bit foolish though. It's clearly taking it's toll too....such a shame.

Though, this would be a great time to finally press forward on putting 1906 (Pixar's first live action film, set to be directed by Brad Bird) into production. Seems like it's been sitting around going nowhere for years now. If they put it into production and worked their asses off, they might not get it made for next year but at least early 2015 which would as least soften the blow of needing to wait two years.....

EDIT: Nevermind, seems that Inside out is still scheduled for June 2015 meaning that it'll be the next Pixar film, not The Good Dinosaur....

Moving "The Good Dinosaur" to 2015 will break a string of eight consecutive years with Pixar releases. The decision also affects the highly anticipated "Finding Nemo" sequel, "Finding Dory." That film was set to arrive in theaters on Nov. 25, 2015, but will now open on June 17, 2016. (Release plans for "Inside Out," which Pixar had set for June 19, 2015, remain unchanged.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/good-dinosaur-release_n_3949648.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Edited by Jake Bird

I didn't think Brave was a disappointment...and it has nothing to do with where I come from either.

My parents really liked it and that's always a plus since they're extremely picky, I liked it because I don't tend to look for what's wrong in a film. It was a good film, I wouldn't had cared whether it was Pixar or not.

A lot have people liked it, even my country's damn tourist board has been aiming to use the film to the country's advantage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24014661 The film apparently attracted more people on the year it came out, but hell I dunno how they found that out; maybe people just really wanted to visit Scotland.

I dunno, I think it's best to look on films as they are and not label them behind Pixar, Disney or whatever.

I didn't agree on the film winning that award over Wreck-It Ralph, however; I liked that film more.

Why is Brave a disappointment to you? I'm not hating, just curious.

I didn't like the humor and I thought the movie lacked focus; at times it almost seemed like I was watching two different movies - the goofy silly slapstick movie, and the serious emotional drama movie. It was really jarring, and I vastly preferred the scenes where the movie actually took itself seriously over the forced jokes.

I just felt like it could have been a lot better than it ended up being.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not liking a movie doesn't have much to do with "looking for things" that are wrong. Personally, determining the flaws is a mere justification for why I came out of a film not liking it. I don't go into any movie expecting not to enjoy it, because that's a waste of money and time. I go to movies I expect to like; thus, me not liking one or two isn't a conscious effort to bash the movie from the get-go. When I cite things I consider flaws, that's me trying to rationalize how the disconnect occurred in the first place. 

I don't say any of this to say I don't like Brave by the way. It was disappointing, but it has high points as well, and overall I don't necessarily consider disappointment an indicator that Brave is The Room levels of fuck-awful. Expectation is different from the end result.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Double post, but another bit of news. Pixar Canada immediately shut its doors Tuesday; nearly 100 employees were laid off.

“A decision was made to refocus operations and  resources under the one roof,” Barb Matheson, a spokesman for Pixar parent company Disney, said from Toronto. “Staff were just told today. Not great news, obviously. It was just a refocussing of efforts and resources to the one facility.”

The Vancouver animation facility opened with much fanfare at 21 Water Street in the spring of 2010, with a mandate to produce short films based on established Pixar characters. The Vancouver crew worked on layout, sets and characters, animation, effects, lighting and rendering departments.

“The team at Pixar Canada has produced a wonderful slate of short films since opening in 2010, including Air Mater, Small Fry and PartysaurusRex,” read a statement from Pixar. “As the dynamics of the animation industry continue to change rapidly, we continue to fine-tune our studio and its production processes. We have made the determination to refocus our creative and business efforts and resources under one roof.  Pixar Canada will cease operations immediately.”

That's the fun side of the entertainment industry. You can make something as amazing as Partysaurus Rex and then suddenly not have a job anyway.