Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

I really liked Pixar a while back and I still do, my very favorite animation studio. But seriously, since Brave, I was thinking that Pixar might be... I don't know how to describe though, Brave is a little bit less for kids... not that I don't like the film, because I do, but something tells me Pixar is changing.

That's a real shame. On the plus side, as ex-pixar employees, none of these guys are gonna be out of work for long.

Not surprised that the Good Dinosaur was delayed. They didn't announce a new director for it since Bob was kicked out so I guessed it would take longer than expected. But dayum, late 2015 (probably 2016 in UK)? Here's hoping they can improve it and not make a rushed, cluttered film like Brave. Also, no Pixar movies next year means there's a good chance HTTYD 2 will finally win that well deserved Oscar! ..Or Disney, but let's see if Big Hero 6 is any good first. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

So anybody willing to make predictions for the Rotten Tomatoes score for Cars 3 if it becomes a reality?

Edited by Johnny the Death Bringer

What, is Planes not doing a bang-up job of being a blatant merchandise cash cow to the point that a third Cars film needs to be fast-tracked on the schedule (let alone made)?

Part of me wants to think this is another TS4 which was debunked sometime ago, but another tells me this would be likely true.

My friend mentioned something about cars 3 earlier today. I really hope these rumours prove false...but even if they do...I doubt it'll be long before we see something new from Cars anyway. If pixar won't make more, Disney will.

• 2 weeks later...

watched toy Story of Terror the other day. It was really good, definitly of the standard we've come to expect from Pixar though it's definitly not their best, it's not even the best Toy story short.

It was still great though, atmosphere was great, I laughed out loud more than once and the new characters were great.

I'd be more than happy for the toy story universe to continue in this style, a new short every now and then is a great way to keep the characters alive and if you don't like them, then they're easy enough to ignore.

It's definitly worth watching.

• 3 weeks later...

Pixar lays off 5% of it's staff force in light of Dinosaur delay

Pixar has laid off dozens of employees due to its troubled film project The Good Dinosaur, a source told the LA Times. The layoffs reportedly affect less than 5% of the company’s staff of 1,200, which could mean anywhere up to 60 employees.

“At Pixar, we are constantly re-evaluating the creative and business needs of our studio,” a company representative said. “With the release date change of The Good Dinosaur, we have realigned our production and support priorities, which includes a small reduction in our staffing levels.”

Last August, the studio removed director Bob Peterson from the film, and a month later, they pushed back the film’s release date by 18 months. They have yet to announce a replacement director.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/pixar/pixar-lays-off-dozens-of-employees-due-to-good-dinosaur-problems-91376.html

First Pixar Canada, and now the actual staff...Pixar /really/ needs to get their shit together. What the hell is going on over there?

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear there'll be at least some pixar output this year. I've liked all the toy story shorts so far so I'm looking forward to this one too :)

So...no Pixar release this year. =[

Guess the Good Dinosaur needed a major overhaul if it's coming out late next year, and we might not get a new teaser trailer until Disney's Big Hero 6 comes out (actually, we might get two teasers since Inside Out is coming out June next year!). Even with the major delay though, I do hope the Good Dinosaur will be something akin to Up or Wall-e and less like Brave and Monsters University. Don't get me wrong they are good films but I want to see those amazing, epic Pixar films again. The ones with not only a great story but also great characters and mature themes. I just want Pixar to get their act together and stop firing people left and right whilst releasing films that are good, but not great.

Oh and I know I'm a little late on this but that poster is apparently fan made.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta say I preferred Monster's University to Wall-E and I haven't seen Up (shocking I know!)

Also does anyone else find it weird how much Toy Story stuff we've been getting recently? I remember the dryspell between Toy Story 2 & 3.

I gotta say I preferred Monster's University to Wall-E and I haven't seen Up (shocking I know!)

....What're you waiting for?? Go see it, now! It's a wonderful Pixar film with a really emotional story. Dat opening man.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh I know of the opening (my sister spoiled it for me) I just haven't gotten round to seeing it myself, I'm sure I will one day maybe.

Also does anyone else find it weird how much Toy Story stuff we've been getting recently? I remember the dryspell between Toy Story 2 & 3.

To be fair, there was a whole toy story TV series between 2 and 3 9and a movie of said series, even if it was just one of those "cram the first three episodes together" deals).

Not to mention comic books and various video games.

I get your point, but I'd hardly say the series was dormant.

Double post but...Pixar might be making a star wars film?

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/pixar-joining-star-wars-universe/

It was only a matter of time before Disney’s golden child animation acquisition was brought into the company franchise game. John Lasseter doubling his time at Disney Animation is a good cog in the machine, but there comes an opportunity to mix two potentially profitable brands together and see if the success can exponentially multiply. Or that must be the thinking at Disney, because we’ve heard that Pixar has been given their own Star Wars movie.

Once the canon-purge is over and Episode VII is in production, there will be a whole universe of Star Wars related content to play in. We’ve heard about TV shows,new comics tie-ins (Marvel, of course), spin-off movies for particular characters and now, a Pixar film.

At this point, no idea what the size or shape of this film will be and given the long-view storytelling production model that is part of the Pixar brand, this could be a long way off. We can expect it to take place in the middle of a Venn Diagram between Star Wars and A Pixar Movie, and what that means to you depends on your definition of both.

Star Wars and animation has some great possibilities. Or they could go and Animatrix it up (like The Dark Knight did). At least this looks to be a mix that could be potentially fruitful, especially since this will come out long after we’ve read several think pieces on the dilution of the brand.

Maybe WALL-E gave them a new take on Droids (and someone should scrub the taste of Fox’s Robots from our mouths), maybe the Jawas have an interesting culture (but not like a Smurf), maybe you don’t want a live-action movie of how Young Han Solo met Chewbacca, but if Pixar did it, maybe it’d be tolerable.

not sure if there's any truth to this at all or if it's just speculation from whoever wrote the article, but a couple other sites have picked up on this story too.

Not sure how I feel about this to be honest, I think i'd prefer if Pixar stuck with their own stories, but if there's one company I'd trust to make a decent Star Wars animation it'd be them.....

A Pixar Star Wars film would be a big surprise but also is kind of a no brainer. I wonder what the plot could possibly be though. I think they could probably do a great R2D2 movie but they've already done the silent-robot-protagonist thing. Whatever the movie is, I hope it feels as fresh as anything done by Pixar. It should be able to stand on it's own from the rest of the Star Wars franchise.

Personally, I think it'd be great to have Pixar do that rumored Chewbaca movie. Kashyyyk would make an interesting setting for an animated film. Who knows, it could even be called that. Something about "Kashyyyk" has a Pixar-vibe to me to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm personally skeptical of this rumor because as of Day 1 Pixar hasn't made a film (or even a short, to my knowledge) that was based on an existing IP that wasn't their own work.

I would truly be surprised if Pixar actually did a film adaptation of a non-Pixar IP for once.

I'm personally skeptical of this rumor because as of Day 1 Pixar hasn't made a film (or even a short, to my knowledge) that was based on an existing IP that wasn't their own work.

I would truly be surprised if Pixar actually did a film adaptation of a non-Pixar IP for once.

Well, technically, Toy Story makes use of several pre-existing IPs, but I totally get your point.

Pixar is one of the few major film companies left in the world that seem to solely produce their own stuff. It'd be a shame to lose that.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Piar have produced several animations for various products, not particularly damning evidence of course but it's proof they've no major problems with working with other people's IPs...

Also 1906, the upcoming film directedby Brad Bird, set to be Pixar's first live action film is based on a novel.....

• Thumbs Up 3