Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

I laughed at that far off shot of the asteroid barely missing us, and the dinosaurs reacting appropriately. Seems like a good sign. xD

• Thumbs Up 4

Good Dinosaur's teaser is out!

Looks nice. Not much to go on, but that's to be expected this early. Got me pretty excited.  :)

I laughed at that far off shot of the asteroid barely missing us, and the dinosaurs reacting appropriately. Seems like a good sign. xD

Yeah, they didn't seem to care. xD I might end up seeing this in theaters. Premise sounds nice and I've always loved dinosaurs.

So apparently if the asteroid had never hit dinosaurs would've evolved into lightly colored cartooney and child friendly monsters.................................... k. 

So apparently if the asteroid had never hit dinosaurs would've evolved into lightly colored cartooney and child friendly monsters.................................... k. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Still not a big fan of the dinosaur designs (I know what they're going for but I'm not keen on it =[ ). Everything else looks pretty solid though, and with Peter Sohn directing it I hope it's an animated dino film more akin to The Land Before Time than Dinosaur. If that ends up being true, then I can ignore the Play Doh dinos. =P

I wonder if John Lithgow is still voicing Arlo's father?

I think you're reading way too much into what the trailer is hypothesizing would had happened if dinosaurs didn't go extinct, especially given the previous film subjects Pixar has worked on. It's like getting mad at Tarantino for having sunglasses and dynamite in mid-1800s set Django Unchained, when the film he made prior to that about that was about WWII being won by Hitler and his cohorts being blown to kingdom come in a movie theater.

I wasn't mad or even being serious with that post. It was just me making light of things. 

• 2 weeks later...

The voice cast for The Good Dinosaur has been revealed, and bar one voice actress (Arlo's Momma) everyone has been replaced.

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/06/12/pixar-reveals-new-voice-cast-for-the-good-dinosaur/

Very sad to see John Lithgow isn't voicing Poppa anymore and I'm not sure about a 13 year old voicing Arlo, but maybe it won't be so bad. *shrug*

Oh boy, this doesn't sound good. But you never know, Toy Story 2 had a legendary development hell and we all know how that turned out.

It's time for one of those things, and it's the only one that starts with an I.

Oh boy, this doesn't sound good. But you never know, Toy Story 2 had a legendary development hell and we all know how that turned out.

Did anyone else go to the Fathom early showing yesterday?

I thought the pacing kind of felt off, but other than that it earned its hype. I don't know if I'd call it the best Pixar movie ever, but it's in my top four at least. 

New French teaser poster for The Good Dinosaur. It's breathtaking to say the least.

Dinosaur.jpg

Gotta say, that poster does look gorgeous. I'm always a sucker for those things.

I really like the poster but the dinosaur's goofy design sticks out like a sore thumb against that realistic backdrop.

I really hope the film's good. It's had a hard enough time getting itself created after all that happened with the director changes and what not.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just got back from Inside Out. To put it simply, it's the best Pixar movie ever made if you ask me. Go see it as soon as you can. A return to form doesn't properly describe it, this is Pixar going beyond their "form" and creating a true animated masterpiece. Further thoughts below:

- What makes this stand out from other american animated movies is that most of the storytelling isn't even told through the dialogue. Yes there's constant talking in the movie, it's not a silent film or anything but what I mean is that pretty much every plotpoint is either symbolic or metaphorical of something. There is more thematic depth in this than many movies combined. To talk about all the visual details that subtly tell a story or a great joke would require me to enter spoiler territory so I won't. I'll just say rarely does a movie explore various aspects of the human mind so elegantly. How it reacts to everyday events, What happens to it as the person grows, How unlogical it works. The world of Riley's mind is masterfully created with lots of clever touches everywhere.

-The characters themselves are very well defined, even the minor ones. Joy and Sadness are obviously the ones with the most important roles in the story, but every character is full of personality and some have arcs of their own.

- The music is the best Michael Giacchino score since Super 8. Always enhancing every scene, be it dramatic or funny, it only adds to the movie's emotional depth. I don't have to tell you if it looks gorgeous or not, It's a Pixar movie, that's all you need to know.

In essence, Inside Out is an instant classic and one of the most cleverly put together films I've ever seen. It's the best film of the year so far and I have strong doubts a better movie will surpass it. The Good Dinosaur looks good so far, but boy does it have to be really good to not be overshadowed by this.

Oh and the new short "Lava" is really cute and unique, one interesting thing is that it's entirely told through song, but I'll let you find out more by yourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just saw it myself.

FREAKIN. LOVED. IT.

Definitely in my top 5 favorite Pixar films. Maybe topping Ratatouille.

No emotion felt flat or unappealing as characters. Even though the plot was more focused on Joy and Sadness working together to get back to Headquarters, they all stood out and had funny lines. I even admired that none of them were ever antagonistic towards one another and never made it a competition as to who could form the most memories for Riley. Disgust, Fear and Anger tried their best to fill in Joy's shoes despite not knowing how since it's not their forte.

-Didn't expect them to use the Haunted Mansion theme during Riley's first nightmare sequence. And immediately caught the Finding Nemo sight-gag when they were in Imaginary Island.

-The abstract concept sequence had some of the best animation I feel. Especially when they returned into the 3D world.

-Bing-Bong, Riley's old imaginary friend was a good comic relief. He's so sweet he's made literally of cotton candy and cries candy. Also liked how him not really reading obvious "DANGER" DO NOT ENTER" signs that happens a couple times during the film wasn't a sign that he's dumb-as-rocks stupid, but rather due to how/when he was created. He was imagined back when Riley couldn't read, so it makes sense he couldn't. And when he practically sacrificed himself to help Joy escape the void. Just...a sad way for an important childhood figure to go like that. :(

-That bubble gum commercial jingle was hilarious and got more so each time. Did they kinda overplay it? Yeah, maybe, but I don't think it wasn't too bad.

-Dat fucking clown in the subconscious shall haunt my subconscious now. Good detail with giving it green eyes to make it effectively creepy.

-The ending with going into every other character's head had me crying with laughter.

Just a fantastic film and highly encourage everyone to see it when possible. Only downside I feel was not really with the film itself, but the short that proceeds it. Lava wasn't bad by any means, it had it's heart in the right place, but I just don't think it's one of Pixar's best shorts. Ironic, one of the best Pixar films out there now accompanied with one of their more "meh" shorts. But really, that's it. It's hard to find any other sort of fault with this film. I'm sure there is like, maybe the pacing isn't always good, but I really can't think of any problems with it at the moment. Maybe in due time upon rewatching. But I can't stress enough how wonderful it was.  

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, I saw Inside Out yesterday as some of you may already know. I'm really eager to get my thoughts down, so apologies if this may be a bit long for you guys. Not gonna delve into spoilers while talking how I feel about the film, though I will talk about some spoilery stuff if any discussion about the film later arises.

Before I talk about the film, I wanna speak about Lava first. (I do this every time I post my thoughts on a Disney/Pixar movie, you should be used to this already.) Although it's not particularly exceptional or up there as one of Pixar's great shorts, I saw it as a nice effort overall. The animation was stunning as usual for Pixar, the volcanoes, ocean and the surrounding areas all looked near photorealistic. I was fond of how the story was told through song, and it was actually quite sad at times, but ultimately heartwarming all the same. But like pppp said above me, I'd think it's better for you to see it for yourself.

Now for the big kahuna... Inside Out. I had been quite skeptical about the movie leading up to its release. The concept of how the emotions in your head work was interesting, but the trailers never really grabbed me, and I was unsure about how much I was going to like the final product. Pixar has definitely been in a slump for the past five years: the outright terrible Cars 2, highly disappointing Brave, and although admittedly Monsters University was good, it didn't have the same lasting impact of the studio's other works. I know people like the film and I'm not against them, but that's how I felt really. But that's aside from the main point. Since it's been two years since we've gotten a Pixar movie with MU being released in the summer of 2013 and whatnot, it's been somewhat of a wait. And oh, how the wait was worth it.

Inside Out is an absolutely resounding success of a movie in every regard I can name. It represents what Pixar does best: create broadly appealing films that not only entertain, but touch the heart and teach important lessons without being heavy-handed about it. This is a down-to-earth, funny, and ultimately emotionally heart-wrenching rollercoaster ride of a movie, one that you'll fall in love with as soon as you start sitting to watch it in the cinema. It's a testament to Pixar exploring original concepts, and this is possibly their most inventive and fervently imaginative film they've made to date.

If there's one thing that really struck me since I'm a massive sucker for visuals and animation, it was the use of colors. Since the movie takes place mostly in the protagonist, 11-year old Riley Anderson's mind, there's many opportunities as to how the inside of a brain is depicted, and it's done gorgeously here. The seamless use of purples, blues and yellows are a feast for the eyes, and in my opinion is does a great job to giving contrast as to how crazy our own minds can be compared to the world that we live in ourselves.

8fW3GPYTFUCutgfh77LbGbw3yQI.jpg

Seriously, sooooo beautiful.

The animation. It's Pixar, so you already know it's gonna be excellent as usual. No need to elaboration there. I really liked the character designs, both the humans and the emotions and other inhabitants inside Riley's mind. The emotions all having a fuzzy, wispy kind of texture to their skin looked really good as well, it was a nice little detail to show how they were an integral part of Riley and how they make her who she is, especially since nobody else in her mind has the same texture as them. I can't really know how to properly describe it. 

The characters are what really made the movie for me. None of the emotions as I had previously feared had ended up being one-note, generic characters (looking at you, Deadly Six), but instead serving their purpose and even having their own motivations for Riley's own actions throughout the plot. I thought it was brilliant how they all interacted with one another, and throughout the film's zippy 95-minute runtime, none of them ever feel like they were wasted or overlooked. Everybody got their time to shine, and a couple had some very important character arcs. Riley's a truly empathetic protagonist, you really wanna give her a hug as the film progresses.

The plot of the movie, while basic at first glance, actually has a great amount of thematic depth that follows by the classic cinematic rule of "show, don't tell". This movie is brimming with so much details and things to think about that it requires multiple viewings to truly know what messages are being told throughout. It's just impressive how much insight is put into Riley's own feelings, and sometimes even the feelings of others in the film.

The pacing of the story is smooth, and while the film moves along quickly, it never feels exhausting or overwhelming. The universe was so engrossing to me that I actually wanted to see more of it and the characters. Like most Pixar movies, the comedy and drama are perfectly balanced, with the clever jokes rarely, if ever missing a beat, along with some really, really fucking melancholy moments that will hit you like a truck. It may as well be the most utterly heartrending movie Pixar has made, only with Up and Toy Story 3 serving as some serious competition. Like I said, I'm not spoiling anything, the film is there to see for yourself.

Like pppp had said above, the music is excellent. Michael Giacchino is quickly rising up to be one of the best film composers in Hollywood at the moment, and it adds another stellar collaboration with Pixar (he did the scores to The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up and... Cars 2.) All the music fits the scenes they accompany perfectly, I even got myself the soundtrack already. Just don't get it until you see the movie though, the track names are spoilers.

Even with all the showering praise I've given this film, I'd advise you to go in fresh with modest expectations. Seriously, I want you to be blown away like I did by this beautiful, beautiful movie. Don't overhype yourself. I don't even feel like my words have done it nearly enough justice. This is not only Pete Docter's best movie in my opinion, but a timeless work of art for Pixar that I'm confident will stand the test of time. This also may as well be my favorite film of 2015 so far. I honestly cannot think of any major or even minor flaws that stuck out to me, maybe sometime in the future when it's time for retrospective.

This is the Pixar I know and love. Let's hope their future output keeps up the good momentum!

• Thumbs Up 3

Ironic, one of the best Pixar films out there now accompanied with one of their more "meh" shorts.

So the opposite of Brave, where the short La Luna(Their best IMO) was accompanying a weaker Pixar film.

So the opposite of Brave, where the short La Luna(Their best IMO) was accompanying a weaker Pixar film.

For some odd reason Luxo Jr. is what I consider to be my outright favorite Pixar short. I just find a simple, childike charm to it that's still there every time I watch it. Plus, it's nice to watch the short where it all began.

For some odd reason Luxo Jr. is what I consider to be my outright favorite Pixar short. I just find a simple, childike charm to it that's still there every time I watch it. Plus, it's nice to watch the short where it all began.

Actually technically their first was Andre and Wally Bee.

Also:

Anyone notice that Riley's mom is secretly a very sad person that is unhappy with her life? Think about it: which emotion is the leader in riley's head during the first act? Joy. Riley was indeed a very happy child during the first act.

Now think back to the dinner scene,which emotion was leading in Riley's mom's head? Sadness. Also, Dad's is Anger, meaning is either a frustated man or angry at the world n someway. Watching the movie I was quite awed by how clever they made Riley's parents interesting in just a few seconds of focusing on them

Also there's also the islands falling apart. By the time she's on the bus, the emotions can't do nothing, that's because she's becoming someone who's not her real self, Stealing and running away is turning her into someone she's not, so it makes sense that her emotions can't control her.

Also when people shut themselves off from the world, only regret from the actions that led them to this path they don't belong can really bring them to their senses and stop going on whatever wrong path that person is. that's why Sadness is the only one that can remove that bulb

Again, to truly appreciate this movie you need to watch carefully and think about what's happening and WHY it happens.

This movie is devishly clever, It gets better the more I think about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously can't wait to see this when it comes out next month. All the positive reviews are great to see, but I'm going to keep expectations neutral and avoid spoilers at ALL costs!

Bit disappointed to hear mixed opinions on Lava though. IMO Pixar's last best short was Day and Night. I really didn't like The Blue Umbrella despite its impressive animation and Luna was just okay.