Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

Andre the Black Nerd reviews Inside Out (no spoilers so don't worry) and I pretty much feel the same way he does about the movie

*hint* he likes it ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, so. My local indie cinema had a very early screening of Inside Out the other day (considering it doesn't come out here in the UK till August), so I decided to go because August is pretty shitty in terms of release as the Digital HD will be out like, a few days after. So I did.

It's totally, TOTALLY FUCKING GREAT going to see a film that was pretty dialogue heavy at a ENGLISH CENTRIC CINEMA and then getting in and finding out that they're screening it in a completely different language (this was dubbed in brazilian portuguese) without any subtitles through the entire fucking film. I did complain to the owners of the cinema after I came out, but they were just like "you seen the entire thing lol, no refund for you" so I'm pretty fucking pissed as a result. Luckily, I had a good knowledge of what exactly happens in the film due to being someone who doesn't really mind spoilers that often.

Now, some of you are gonna ask why didn't I leave the film shortly after it started. See, I had a similar experience with the exact same theatre back in 2007 when The Simpsons Movie released. This was more closer to the official UK release, but the film was still in a different language and say about 10 minutes in the film completely disappeared from the screen. Some guy came in who worked there and saw that the film had gone missing and fixed it. That's when he realized it was a different language and actually loaded up the proper English version. They also apparently get the different languaged versions in because they like to give options to people come the time where the film's about to exit theatres and they have a few free days where they can show different languaged versions.

I was pretty stupid in retrospect. I shoulda leaved but I was still expecting someone to come in and spot the mistake. Oh well, I guess.

So, Inside Out! Inside Out, a film that I couldn't really understand because of the whole language thing. I can say for one thing that the animation as a whole was pretty damn good and expressive through the entire film. I especially enjoyed Joy's animation as a whole due to her being pretty excited about most things. I didn't really get what influenced the designs of those jelly-bean workers in Riley's head though. I was just waiting for some yellow one with a M on his stomach to appear on screen at some point. One thing I really loved was when 

Joy, Sadness and Bing Bong went into that white area and got turned into those weird abstract art like figures. The ones in the beginning kinda reminded me of the paper effects of Tearaway, in a weird way.

There's some stuff that I didn't really get though. Mainly, the personality islands. If those islands represent who she is, then how come when she started to change from her old self into her new, bratty like self, the islands replace themselves with like bad personality traits as islands? I feel like she could've had some sort of complaining island or something to represent who she's becoming, but whatever. 

One thing that I didn't really like though was that the film also follows a structure come the third act that Pixar/Disney have used a lot in the past. Joy tries to leave Sadness behind and get back to the tower on her own by leaving her to rot on one of the crumbling islands while she escapes through one of the orb tubes, but then that screws her over when she and Bing Bong get flung into that big pile of orbs in the bottom of this brain world and then she realizes that it's good to allow Sadness to touch the orbs when she wants to. At least, that's what I got from watching the dub and then asking a friend on FB who had seen the english dub what that scene actually meant. Main Character leaves Sidekick-like character behind and realizes that they can't do something on their own so they come back and reconcile with sidekick-like character. They did it in Finding Nemo, they did it in Monster's Inc and now it's here too. Blech.

Also it was pretty obvious that bing bong was gonna sacrifice himself the moment you see his hand fade away when they're in that pit.

So, I thought that the film was pretty good as a whole. There was some things that I didn't really enjoy and a lot of it I didn't even understand anyway because I saw it in ANOTHER FUCKING LANGUAGE DID I MENTION THAT. Pfffp. Anyway, Inside Out was pretty good. I'm planning on seeing this film again when the UK dub is released because I actually wanna make sense of the film. When that happens, I'll post a revised version of this review with a proper understanding of the plot.

I won't give it a score and I'll just leave it at what I spent 20 minutes typing. Yep.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good news: Inside Out made $91 million at the box office this weekend, making it the second-highest opening for a Pixar movie (the first being Toy Story 3 with $110 million) and the biggest opening weekend for an original property!

More info from Forbes here:

The feeling over at Disney this morning is one of unmitigated joy. Once again proving that rank doesn’t matter, Walt Disney’s Inside Out didn’t need to top the weekend box office to be an unqualified winner. The Pixar masterpiece came in second place to the massive second weekend of Jurassic World, but it still debuted with an eye-popping $91.06 million. With all of the handwringing (or at least indifferent commentary) about how Inside Out would be the first Pixar film not to top the weekend box office, this has to feel pretty sweet for the Walt Disney and friends. Oh, and it nabbed $41m overseas for a $132.056m global cume, so it’s got that going for it.

That is the second-best Pixar ever (behind Toy Story 3), the biggest Pixar debut for an original film, and the biggest weekend ever for a film that didn’t top the box office, clobbering the $68m debut of The Day After Tomorrow. It wins that record even when adjusted for inflation, in case you were wondering. It’s also the biggest debut ever for a non-sequel/ It’s also the biggest debut ever for a non-sequel/not-based on anything animated feature and the fourth-biggest animated debut period, behind Shrek the Third ($122m), Toy Story 3 ($110m), and Shrek 2 ($108m).

After four years of “slump” talk, I think we can safely assume that reports of Pixar’s demise were greatly exaggerated. What’s doubly impressive is that it pulled this off while Universal/Comcast Corp.’s Jurassic World was pulling a $102m second weekend. What’s astonishing is how both massive movies basically acted as if the other one didn’t exist. Yes, the marketplace can indeed support to mega-smash hit movies basically at the same time, and this weekend will indeed have the two biggest “#1 and #2″ films of all time by a healthy margin and one of the biggest cumulative weekend box office totals of all time.

So now, to the extent that it matters, is the part where we ask how big Jurassic World‘s second weekend would have been without Inside Out grabbing $91.06m worth of audience members. And we have to wonder, had Jurassic World only opened with $100m last weekend, would Inside Out have been able to best Shrek the Third‘s $122m debut weekend to become the biggest animated opener of all time? Inside Out is of course Pixar’s first original film since Brave back in 2012 and, due to a few sequels and a delayed The Good Dinosaur, their second original since 2009 out of six films. It is actually their second consecutive female-centric original to boot, although The Good Dinosaur was supposed to come out in May of 2014.

It is not a princess story and it’s actually a pretty complicated and explicitly internal narrative, so that it opened better than the easier-to-sell Monsters University is a huge testament to both the power of overwhelmingly positive reviews and the Pixar brand name. It’s a win for Disney, which has been watching pundits and writers take the piss out of the Marvel universe on account of Jurassic World‘s record run. It’s a win in the sense that is the biggest opening for a female-centric film outside of the three Hunger Games films and three of the five Twilight films and will likely end up, by default almost, as the biggest female-centric domestic grosser outside of Frozen and whichever Hunger Games movies it doesn’t top.

In terms of long term play, the Pixar mid-June originals tend have somewhat inconsistent weekend-to-final multipliers, depending on the breaks. A worst-case scenario Cars 2 performance (2.8x) gets it to $256m domestic, while a Monsters University performance (3.26x) gets it to $299m. A performance like Brave and Wall-E (3.5x) gets it to $321m domestic, which feels like the plausible best case scenario, although a Toy Story 3 3.77x gets it to $345m.

The 4x or more performances of Cars (4x), Up (4.26x), Ratatouille (4.26x), and Finding Nemo (4.84x), and even are likely a pipe dream, but you can certainly do the math if you wish. Okay fine, since you begged, such runs would get $366m, $385m, $385m, and $442m respectively. This all means that if it can magically avoid accidentally topping the box office it can become the biggest grossing movie never to top the weekend box office, well-ahead of My Big Fat Greek Wedding ($242m). So now the only question is whether Minions will hurt Inside Out or merely compliment it come July 10th. We’ll know more next weekend when we get a look at the film’s legs, so that’s enough for now. Inside Out is a massive smash, Pixar is “back,” and let’s just celebrate that a movie this good did this well this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched Inside Out the other day and yep, totally lived up to the hype. I rarely watch movies, but I'm sure glad I watched that one.

On an unrelated-to-recent-events, but related-to-Pixar note, I don't exactly get why people don't like Brave? I guess it was sort of a while ago that I watched it, so my tastes might've been less refined, but I thought it was quite good. Maybe it's just because I like transformation plotlines, but...honestly, am I missing something? Can someone just explain to me what's wrong with it?

Brave sorta felt like a Disney film from the late Renaissance period in Pixar clothing that had to come out after Cars 2 and after Pixar had shown to bring more creative ideas to their films. 

I appreciated the mother-daughter relationship since it's rarely explored in either Disney or Pixar, but if I could describe it as a 'at best-at worst' scenario: 

At best: Harmless

At worst: Unremarkable and predictable

EDIT: Okay, besides the Rapunzel-Gothel relationship in Tangled, I mean. Seeing a daughter and mother share numerous scenes and dialogue that actually feels genuine is a rare occurrence in Disney dynamics. 

Yeah, it certainly was much less creative in concept than the average Pixar outing, so I guess I get that. But I thought it was enjoyable for what it was, personally.

Generally, when I see people criticize Brave it usually has to do with it being really cliched and Merida being unlikable. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Saw Inside Out on Tuesday, what else can I say that hasn't already been said? It's amazing and already one of my favorites Pixar films! It's so relatable and literally plays with your emotions. I'm gonna admit it, I cried twice. Yeah, if you haven't noticed already with my weak mind, Sayaka obsession and the fact that I cried twice in a Pixar film, I'm not exactly what you call MANLY.

The movie is smart on how it uses the mind and it's terms. Can't wait for these characters in Disney Infinity 3.0!

Also, Anger's my favorite.

I suppose I should say I saw the movie a few days ago. I was a bit concerned prior to seeing it because of two other animated movies that people said were fantastic. Frozen, which I think was good but not as fantastic as everyone else thought it was, and The Lego Movie, which I was just sort of okay with. 

But having seen the movie................... oh yea, it lives up to it's hype alright. In fact in my opinion it's probably one of pixars finest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poked around for a few pages, and I don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that we got confirmation of what their next short is about last April. 

Apparently, it's called Sanjay's Super Team, the story of a young Indian boy who imagines the Hindu gods in an Avengers-esque team up. 

Pixar%2BPost%2B-%2BSanjay%2527s%2BSuper%

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/07/05/sneak-peek-sanjays-super-team-pixar-good-dinosaur/29592193/

"
Patel, 41, chose three deities to reference in 
Super Team
: the monkey-like Hanuman, the goddess of power and protection Durga, and the blue-skinned Vishnu, who represents preservation."

Looking extremely pretty so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesoooome! This reminds me that I've not checked his website for some time now. I love Sanjay Patel's work. A few years I bought his graphic novel Ramayana, based on the Hindu tale of the same name, and was very impressed by the Samurai Jack/Charley Harper-inspired artwork:

tumblr_mi4uylPa3t1qhttpto5_500.jpg   tumblr_mi4uylPa3t1qhttpto7_500.jpg

His name alone would have had me interested, but seeing that screenshot has me super excited that we're going to get something incredibly beautiful, not to mention very different from your average Pixar short!

• Thumbs Up 1

That short looks way better than the clips I've seen of Lava! Gorgeous art too. I need to see more of this guy's stuff!

Generally, when I see people criticize Brave it usually has to do with it being really cliched and Merida being unlikable. 

That new short looks awesome! I really wish that would've been a movie though...

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a full trailer for The Good Dinosaur now. Feels like How to Train Your Dragon mixed with Where the Wild Things Are.

• Thumbs Up 5

At first I was skeptical about this movie. But after seeing that trailer, I'm officially hyped!

Wow, that was absolutely gorgeous! I already feel myself starting to like the protagonists here. 

Just about the only thing I didn't particularly like here was that Arlo's voice seemed kind of unexpected and unfitting, but I'm sure it'll sound better when it's an actual line instead of him just shouting. 

Why do I have a feeling that this film is going to fuck everyone up emotionally? It's a film about friendship, and it's a Pixar film. We're practically begging for tears here. 

Seriously though, I was rather concerned about the film's status due to lack of coverage, but seeing this trailer has won me over. The live action mixed with CGI was an interesting choice, but looks nice. (Also, slightly off-topic, but what's the song used in the trailer?)

• Thumbs Up 1

The live action mixed with CGI was an interesting choice, but looks nice.

Wait...what? They're using live action?  

Edited by Disonoid 3000

Hidden Content

Wait...what? They're using live action?  

That had to be live action. It really did look like it, but if it isn't...oh my god Pixar, you wizards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everything in the trailer is computer generated. We've long since been able to achieve decent photorealism in CGI.

As for the song, it's called Crystals by Monsters and Men. I had to look it up too. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

I just re-watched the trailer, and it is indeed completely CGI. I really had to look close to be able to realise that, I thought the environments were live action. Pixar are usually top of the line with animation, but I am yet again impressed by them. 

I think by the time Blue Umbrella came out, we knew Pixar could do photo realistic CGI. Not my favourite short but dayum the animation is something else!

As for the trailer, I was skeptical about The Good Dinosaur due to all the troubles it went through but this trailer has completely won me over! The cartoony dinos in a realistic world doesn't look so jarring anymore and Arlo is SO CUTE! Have to get used to that boyish voice but I'm sure I'll warm up to it eventually. I hope he's as endearing a character as Littlefoot. And of course the animation is just mind blowing. Wow, I'm sure this won't disappoint now. Could we have two Pixar hits in one year? OwO

Me and Mrs. Shadzter just watched Up for the first time and it was amazing. Just watched the trailer for The Good Dinosaur and it looks great, but I don't think I'll be hyped until we see more. The whole friendship thing expressed in the trailer is just getting too samey in trailers now. I believe in Pixar though, and I'm sure the final product will be fantastic. 

Also: "The Good Dinosaur will open in the US on November 25 and November 27 in the UK."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a659493/meet-your-new-favourite-pixar-character-watch-the-heart-stirring-trailer-for-the-good-dinosaur.html#~pj67VN0fcTbAst

Yay! Just a 2 day wait after the US :D

Edited by Shadzter

Me and Mrs. Shadzter just watched Up for the first time and it was amazing. Just watched the trailer for The Good Dinosaur and it looks great, but I don't think I'll be hyped until we see more. The whole friendship thing expressed in the trailer is just getting too samey in trailers now. I'm believe in Pixar though, and I'm sure the final product will be fantastic. 

Also: "The Good Dinosaur will open in the US on November 25 and November 27 in the UK."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a659493/meet-your-new-favourite-pixar-character-watch-the-heart-stirring-trailer-for-the-good-dinosaur.html#~pj67VN0fcTbAst

Yay! Just a 2 day wait after the US :D

Good! We're still waiting for Inside Out here. It's been fair torture seeing everyone praise it and we have to wait until Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aww yeah, finally we don't have to wait too long to see it! Waiting more than a month to see Inside Out has bothered me so much D: