Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

Pixar is great. I've watched all of their movies, except for Cars 2.

Their films have a certain magic to them, and it's one of the reasons I love them

Pixar's short films are pretty awesome, too. I think my favorite'd have to be the one before Brave - La Luna. It was really touching.

i.e. Shrek & Ice Age.

Shrek- Screw it after 2.

Ice Age- Only seen the first 2. I need to see Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Continental Drift. I still love Scrat, though. :D

Shrek- Screw it after 2.

Ice Age- Only seen the first 2. I need to see Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Continental Drift. I still love Scrat, though. biggrin.png

I hated Shrek after 2, also. I like the Ice Age movies, don't get me wrong, but I just think they're making too many sequels.

I hated Shrek after 2, also. I like the Ice Age movies, don't get me wrong, but I just think they're making too many sequels.

For Ice Age, it's like the Mega Man Classic series. In a bad way. Not a tired, but still enjoyable way. At least, that's how I see it. ^_^

Does anyone know what Pixar is working on?

Well aside from Monsters University (which comes out next year), they are working on a film about Dinosaurs and a movie that takes you inside the mind of a teenage girl.

Well aside from Monsters University (which comes out next year), they are working on a film about Dinosaurs and a movie that takes you inside the mind of a teenage girl.

Someone just said that, dude. :P

Someone just said that, dude. :P

Crap. Late to the party.

But back on subject Pixar is by far one of my favorite movie studios and I loved all of there films, sans cars 2. I think my favorite films are the Toy Story trilogy, Up, and Finding Nemo.

As for their future films I'm really looking forward to the dinosaur one because it's premise is very interesting due to the fact that it's about dinosaurs living in the modern day because the meteor missed.

While I can't say I have as much faith in them as I used to (both Cars and what I've seen of Brave are to blame for that), I do respect Pixar's past work very much; going as far as to consider Ratatouille, Toy Story 3, and The Incredibles as some of my favorite movies. I really love almost all of their movies, and I'd say that even the few I don't particularly care for are quite good on their own merits.

... Except Cars 2 which was a horribly shitty movie that I absolutely hated, but whatever.

• Thumbs Up 3

Raise of hands if you preferred a Monaters INC sequel, rather than a prequel?

*raises hand*

HUGE Pixar fan, have all but one of them movies on blu-ray (Incredibles).

However, the company has bored me for the past few years. Didn't see Cars 2 in theaters (didn't want to) and have yet to see Brave. It doesn't really excite me. Last Pixar movie to really get me excited was Toy Story 3. Monsters U will probably be the first one I see in the theater in a while. TBH, Wreck-It Ralph excites me more than Pixar's latest.

My favorite Pixar movie? A BUG'S LIFE. So very very underrated. Many list it as the worst Pixar movie and I can't even understand it. Great score, simple but fun story, great ensamble cast, feel good movie.

Just listen to that old west inspired soundtrack!

• Thumbs Up 1

With all this Cars hate, I was actually surprised as to how many people were at that Cars Land in California Adventure. My sister and I joked "Why is there so many people? I thought everyone hated Cars!"

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what the folks here think of Disney adding a Cars themed area to their parks seeing as how a majority don't really like the movie? Irritated? Meh? Look interesting?

I personally thought it was pretty cool.

My favorite Pixar movie? A BUG'S LIFE. So very very underrated. Many list it as the worst Pixar movie and I can't even understand it. Great score, simple but fun story, great ensamble cast, feel good movie.

While it isn't my favorite, I honestly don't know why people don't seem to like it either. The movie had me laughing out loud multiple times; it was freaking hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any Ratatouille love in here? I think it's my favorite Pixar film, even above Bird's other masterpiece The Incredibles. I find that the development of the extended cast is built and elaborated on very well due to the pact between Remy and Linguine, a double-edged sword which is both necessary for their success and yet potentially detrimental to it. This gives the film a very suspenseful nature that isn't all that derived from a more traditional adventure element, allowing it to be far more focused in scope, tone, and narrative than WALL-E and Up. It was also their success which showed how equally flawed both characters could be, which I also think is a bit of a diversion from usual Pixar formula where one protagonist is seemingly brought to the light by another or several who are naturally more wise. Also, its message on art and artists- the idea that true art and inspiration can be found anywhere, and that it is subsequently unwise for critics in potentially undeserved places of power to place undue judgement on art or an artist that doesn't conform- really hit home for me.

In short, I really need to find my DVD copy. I have no idea where it is. ;~;

It's my favorite, too. :'D

Pixar is utter brilliance with anything they do, enjoyed all of their movies so far. Personal favorites being Wall-E, Incredibles, and the Toy Story trilogy. I think Pixar all around is just a fantastic studio and each of their films has something memorable about it. Even goddamn the Cars movies or whatever, with it's amazing animation and photorealistic locations had something going for it. I haven't seen Brave yet, but I'm sure it's probably a great movie, not really my thing, but i'll check it out on Blu-ray. Monster's University, gon be good, loved that one and I think a prequel is a better idea, i don't really see any plot that would fit a sequel, so it's for the best. Definitely intrigued by the human mind one, and dinosaurs are fucking rad , even if the plot sounded like a We're Back reboot, but that movie was fucking rad so bring it on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any Ratatouille love in here? I think it's my favorite Pixar film, even above Bird's other masterpiece The Incredibles. I find that the development of the extended cast is built and elaborated on very well due to the pact between Remy and Linguine, a double-edged sword which is both necessary for their success and yet potentially detrimental to it. This gives the film a very suspenseful nature that isn't all that derived from a more traditional adventure element, allowing it to be far more focused in scope, tone, and narrative than WALL-E and Up. It was also their success which showed how equally flawed both characters could be, which I also think is a bit of a diversion from usual Pixar formula where one protagonist is seemingly brought to the light by another or several who are naturally more wise. Also, its message on art and artists- the idea that true art and inspiration can be found anywhere, and that it is subsequently unwise for critics in potentially undeserved places of power to place undue judgement on art or an artist that doesn't conform- really hit home for me.

In short, I really need to find my DVD copy. I have no idea where it is. ;~;

God yes, I Iove Ratatouille.

I don't people are so focused on Cars. It is several things.

A lot of people have been complaining about Cars 2. People were excited to see Brave, but it didn't hold up to the true Pixar film quality. Now, Pixar is announcing a ton of sequels. Monsters 2? Finding Nemo 2? And a rumored Toy Story 4? And this was after, Cars 2? A film made specifically for money?

What happened to that old Pixar that was so against sequels? I understand a Toy Story 3, but do we need a Finding Nemo 2? A Toy Story 4?

Pixar is a great studio, and their animation as well as the stories they tell in their films (OK, most of them) are quite fantastic. I'm pretty sure that as of the moment they've slipped from their footing, since Cars 2, but I'm hope that either with Monster's University (although I am weary of the newcomer director), and if not that film then their next non-sequel/prequel film after that they are able to put themselves back on top.

The only Pixar films I don't think I've seen are A Bug's Life (I don't think I've seen the entire thing, just parts of it) and Brave. Regarding Cars 2, I personally think it could had done better if it was a standalone film, instead of being set in the Cars universe and had it's story tweaked a bit. Despite that, I can definitely see why it's considered so mediocre in comparison with the rest of Pixar's film library, including the first film, which I think is a lot better.

As for my favorite Pixar film, I'd have to say Ratatouille, with The Incredibles second.

Edited by Miku Hatsune

Pixar isn't just churning out sequels. They actually have three non-sequel films planned after Monsters that include a film about dinosaurs, a film about the mind, and one other I forget.

I'm a little skeptical about Monsters U, though. I guess because it seems like an odd premise, but maybe they'll make it work.

Raise of hands if you preferred a Monaters INC sequel, rather than a prequel?

*raises hand*

How? I mean Sully is CEO of this "Power Plant" and we are after revolution of laugh energy. Sequel will make while Movie magic disappear.

How? I mean Sully is CEO of this "Power Plant" and we are after revolution of laugh energy. Sequel will make while Movie magic disappear.

Curse my lack of memorable moments in the film!

Pixar is by far my favorite animation studio, aside from Walt Disney Animation Studios, of course. I have seen every Pixar film opening weekend and own them on Blu-ray (well, Finding Nemo finally comes to BD in December). Every film has had that kind of magic to me, a sense of wonder and excitement, as well as an inspiration. I would say the Toy Story trilogy, Finding Nemo, WALL-E, and Up are by far their best works. I know many consider the Cars films not very good, but I actually really like them. People believe Cars 2 is a bad movie, but I still really liked it for what it was, expanding on the Cars universe.

But going deeper, the reason why I think Pixar is miles above the competition (DreamWorks, Blue Sky) is that they actually give a darn about story and quality. (Though I will admit DreamWorks may slowly be getting better, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss in Boots were surprisingly very good.) Telling a good story that kids and adults can both relate to, and for me personally, have yet to let me down. This year's Brave didn't hit the huge heights of their best, but definitely very good, and still shows that heart. It's worth seeing still.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pixar is an awesome studio that produced a lot of wonderful movies. The Toy Story trilogy, The Incredibles and Monsters Inc are my favorites, with Ratatouille too.

I wanted to go watch Brave the other day, but it was only in 3D... and thanks to my eyes, I can't see the 3D effect :s

I apologize for bumping, but I have a question to ask all of you.

Who is your favorite PIXAR character? Mine has gotta be WALL-E. I like his simplistic design, and he's one of those heroes you'd never expect would be one.

Plus, he's cute. <3

rubon8.jpg

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hard to say. With good films, there's always good characters that follow suit.

I love Woody and Buzz because of their dynamic and interactions, Mike and Dory for getting me to laugh the most, and intrigued by villains like Syndrome or Hopper from how despicable they can be or how they go about their motivations.