Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

So um...according to Box Office Mojo The Good Dinosaur as of 16 December still hasn't reached over 200 million, and with The Force Awakens coming out this week I don't see it recovering anytime soon. Damn, I wasn't a big fan of this film but I hope it doesn't mean they won't give Peter Sohn another chance to direct. =[  

This reminds me so much of Disney's Dinosaur situation, except at least that film was one of the highest grossing of 2000! Looks like the The Land Before Time will always be the best animated dinosaur film.

I'd bet money that The Good Dinosaur's poor sales have a lot to do with the marketing. Though I honestly didn't have a lot of confidence in it to begin with because of the troubled production history, the commercials and trailers certainly didn't help...in fact, they pretty much destroyed whatever interest I had in it. They just made it look...well, not fun and not interesting, and like it'd be full of emotion and drama, but not much else. Basically, my already low confidence in it completely faded away because of the advertising.

I'd bet money that The Good Dinosaur's poor sales have a lot to do with the marketing. Though I honestly didn't have a lot of confidence in it to begin with because of the troubled production history, the commercials and trailers certainly didn't help...in fact, they pretty much destroyed whatever interest I had in it. They just made it look...well, not fun and not interesting, and like it'd be full of emotion and drama, but not much else. Basically, my already low confidence in it completely faded away because of the advertising.

I still barely know what the entire premise is about from seeing the trailers. They hardly marketed it at all and what's worse is they seemed confident that the name 'Pixar' could carry it without that effort.

Really don't know what they were thinking with that. It's ridiculous how badly the film has done and it's probably an okay film too (unlike Cars 2).

• Thumbs Up 5

Haven't seen it, but the storybooks came out before the film. It really did just seem like Ice Age with a Land Before Time twist to it.

• 2 months later...

Something is wrong with the video you posted Detective Reptiles. It looks like it's been cropped off so you can only see the very top... 

That's because the Facebook video embed doesn't seem to be compatible with this forum.

Here's a trailer from YouTube.

Not really sure how to feel about Finding Dory. On one hand, it's pretty cool that they've managed to get the original cast back, and the animation is as good as ever, considering Pixar. My worry is it looking kind of like a total rehash of the original. The plot is kicked off on a field trip, they need the turtles' help to ride through the waves again, Dory convincing Nemo and Marlin to help her find her family, and a few other things. I'm just hoping they turn out to just be call backs to the original, rather than out and out copying.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not really sure how to feel about Finding Dory. On one hand, it's pretty cool that they've managed to get the original cast back, and the animation is as good as ever, considering Pixar. My worry is it looking kind of like a total rehash of the original. The plot is kicked off on a field trip, they need the turtles' help to ride through the waves again, Dory convincing Nemo and Marvin to help her find her family, and a few other things. I'm just hoping they turn out to just be call backs to the original, rather than out and out copying.

I agree, that's what I'm afraid of. Say what you will about Monsters University and Cars 2, at least they tried to deviate from the plot of the original film. I would hate for Pixar to stoop to the low of rehashing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been turned off from this film since the first trailer. Them making such a huge deal out of her doing something that happened in the first film already, and the way Marlin's managed to become such an amazingly chill person he's perfectly okay with the idea Dory might just swim off, both irritated me. 

And yes, I know character development dictates Marlin not be overly protective anymore. That doesn't mean he has to be a moron. 

On one hand, it's pretty cool that they've managed to get the original cast back

Is this not the norm?

Also, you say "managed" as if the star hasn't been begging for this for years, and million dollar checks weren't involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I'll wait for reviews before I see this on the big screen. The trailer not only makes it look like a rehash of the first film but it has this DTV quality to it...in fact the animation looks exactly the same! 

Eh, surely it couldn't be worse than the Good Dinosaur.

Yeah, I was... less than impressed with The Good Dinosaur, to say the least. Inside Out was a very high point for Pixar and I hope The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory won't be a sign of a new decline.

I will give them props for branching out in terms of more sea creature designs for new characters (seriously, was not expecting to see a whale shark) but yeah, I'm not entirely sure what to make of Finding Dory just yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, and I thought the whale shark design was super great and adorable too. Honestly not sure what to expect from Finding Dory yet; if nothing else, I'm sure I'll enjoy the visuals, as I love sea creatures. I desperately hope the story and such is good; after Inside Out I feel like Pixar deserves to have good times ahead of them, but obviously that will only happen if they maintain their quality in future movies.

Don't really care that much for Finding Dory tbh, and Good Dinosaur wasn't all that great either :/ I'm just looking forward to seeing the future Pixar movies like Incredibles 2.

• 2 months later...

This new trailer has got me a bit more excited but I still don't see this being more than just "good enough".

Still looking forward more to the eventual Moana trailer.

• 5 weeks later...

So yeah Finding Dory was pretty great. Zootopia is still the best animated film of the year(And best film overall honestly) but this one is a great movie on its own right. My favorite character in the first movie has always been Dory, not just cause she's funny, but cause I always thought a movie about her would make for a more interesting story(The best scene in the first movie for me is when she asks Marlin not to leave her cause she doesn't want to forget him), and this movie is exactly what I was thinking.

The writing is witty, Dory's struggle with her condition is expertly used to give her and the movie emotional depth and the characters old and new are all great.

It does feel familiar but thanks to how much Pixar's writing improved since 2003, this movie is funnier, more focused and more memorable thanks to having one of Pixar's best characters ever. So yeah this is better than Finding Nemo if you ask me.

The short before it was really cute too.

It's a shame next year we have to put up with another Cars sequel, but hey, there's also an original movie coming in 2017

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think they said a similar thing about sequels a few years ago but:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/02/pixar-says-no-sequels-currently-planned-after-toy-story-4-cars-3-and-incredibles-2

This seems fair enough. For now, the only movie I can see in need of a sequel is The Incredibles and, of course, that's already being taken care of.

Inside Out is definitely more than fit for a sequel. I mean I would say that, bias and all, but there's definitely room to develop Riley and her mind during her puberty and late teen years. Still, even I can admit that it needs a good amount of time to simmer and let other films have their time in the spotlight. Since they announce these things a couple years in advance I'd say somewhere in the early 2020's at the earliest for an initial announcement.

Of course, a few more shorts wouldn't be so bad right? :D

• 4 months later...

A little over four months is justifiable enough for a double post-topic bump right? 

Pixar has started revving the engine for our third lap in the world of cars with the new teaser-trailer released today!

It might just be me, but the animation seems to have had a bit of an upgrade from Cars 2, at least in the lighting department. I mean it could just be down to the colour correction and filters applied in the editing suite but things do seem to look a bit more realistic...anthropomorphic vehicles aside. 

• Thumbs Up 5

This is... certainly nothing I was expecting from a Cars 3.

The animation looks beautiful and almost life-like... well, as far as I can tell. It IS a short trailer with lots of cuts to black. However, damn, the tone so far is a DRASTIC change from Cars 2. I'm kinda interested.

Well shit, Pixar actually made me excited to see Cars 3. But the trailer is making me think that Lighting might go through what Doc went through prior to the first film. Remember the "They gave up on me" quote? Yeah.

Color me hyped for this, after the more goofy tone of the second movie i'm glad we're going back to something that seems a bit more on the serious (yet still funny) and character-building side of things. Hopefully this one is as good or better than the first.

5 hours ago, Joy said:

A little over four months is justifiable enough for a double post-topic bump right? 

Pixar has started revving the engine for our third lap in the world of cars with the new teaser-trailer released today!

It might just be me, but the animation seems to have had a bit of an upgrade from Cars 2, at least in the lighting department. I mean it could just be down to the colour correction and filters applied in the editing suite but things do seem to look a bit more realistic...anthropomorphic vehicles aside. 

Monsters-University-Final-Trailer.jpg

2671966d8f6221f9a6455f4b0a600af5.jpg

It's probably because of the great strides both Disney and Pixar have been taking lately when it comes to more realistic lighting simulations that almost have a night-&-day effect on how realistic things can look. Add that on top of the technological leaps Pixar recently made with The Good Dinosaur, and we've probably got a Cars movie on our hands that'll make the first Cars look a little dated, and that movie already looked great on a technical level for it's time. Story-wise though, I hope this'll be the "real" Cars 2 that we should've gotten in 2011, it already looks to be the case as the focus will be back on Lightning and the racing stuff just like the first movie.

• Thumbs Up 8

Wow! This is a much darker teaser than I would have expected for this movie. I wonder how much it will hold up in the movie itself. A nice showcase for the time being.

Loving the realistic lighting Pixar has been using as of late.

Curious and Hyped for this one!

• Thumbs Up 1