Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

Meh, didn't really care for the first 2 Cars films, so I can't say I'm excited for this film, but I do like how it seems to be going in a darker direction. Maybe I'll give this shot, if the trailers look as interesting.

Looking at the teaser alone, I'm wondering if this is going to try to address the unfortunate implications surrounding the lemons from Cars 2.

For those not in the know, a major twist in Cars 2 was that the supposedly environmentally friendly Allinol that was being pushed at races was actually a scam orchestrated by a secret society of lemons meant to kill racecars so that their parts can be looted. The lemons appear to be the Cars universe equivalent of disabled people as they, implicitly from birth, cannot function like other cars. For example, one lemon shown at the start of the movie considers being able to drive for a short period of time on the highway all by himself a major accomplishment, even if he did break down and have to get towed by Mater for repairs. Already you can start to see the issues-- but in all fairness, Pixar did make an attempt to show that not all lemons are bad and tried to give the villainous group of lemons a terrorist vibe to prevent audience sympathy. The problem is, Pixar didn't completely succeed-- save for that one lemon at the start of the movie, all of the lemons depicted are treated as villains. The villainous lemons also had a very valid point in terms of the other cars not making efforts to offer more than temporary (possibly expensive) solutions to help manage their disabilities, and are likely right about being ignored. In fact, their entire scheme comes off as them turning to extreme measures to make their problems known to world and barring that, find a permanent solution to their varying disabilities (which the main villain actually did provide, although it did come at the cost of innocent cars' lives). Yet this not only goes unrecognized but the audience is expected to treat the villain's motives as being completely evil when they're (perhaps unintentionally) much more complicated than that-- our heroes certainly don't do much to help the plight of any lemons, as even the one good one's life shows little to no changes.

So now that Lightning McQueen has been in a major accident that changes everything, he may well develop physical disabilities as a result and be forced to see a different side of the world of Cars. Through this, perhaps, those unfortunate implications-- of most of the lemons being villains, of lemons' legitimate concerns being unrecognized-- will get addressed.

Seeing as it hasn't been posted yet, this is the official synopsis of the film from the teaser trailer:

Blindsided by a new generation of blazing-fast racers, the legendary Lightning McQueen (voice of Owen Wilson) is suddenly pushed out of the sport he loves. To get back in the game, he will need the help of an eager young race technician, Cruz Ramirez, with her own plan to win, plus inspiration from the late Fabulous Hudson Hornet and a few unexpected turns. Proving that #95 isn’t through yet will test the heart of a champion on Piston Cup Racing’s biggest stage!

I'm not sure how to feel about this film yet, but the trailer certainly got my attention. Hopefully this'll be entertaining.

• 1 month later...

We've got the first full clip of Cars 3, which details Lightning's crash. From what it looks like, after being taunted by some racers who are looking to overtake Lightning's title, and start stating that he should be in retirement, Lightning pushes himself past his limits when he starts to fall to last place, which causes the crash.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't watched the first Cars in full and have never watched the sequel, but I'm actually finding myself interested in this. I guess I'm intrigued by the more serious, dramatic tone and the "comeback" story, of a former legend being outclassed and suddenly finding himself the underdog where he always used to be the very best, particularly given the setting. I mean, in this case, it's not just that the former champion is getting old, but that his competition is a new model with more advanced technology and therefore would seem to be "objectively better". It'd be really cool and interesting to see how the "outdated model" could possibly come out on top.

Cars 3 is still looking good! Hopefully it's actually good and not a guilty pleasure like what Cars 2 was for me.

It does make me wonder how Mater will work in this movie. Will he still be there? Will he just be gone working for C.H.R.O.M.E? Will C.H.R.O.M.E even be brought up? It'll be interesting to see how much of Cars 2 will be acknowledged.

• 2 months later...

Large bump, but we finally have a teaser for Coco. Looks like Ratatouille meets The Book of Life:

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...