Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

Newt sounded like it could've been really good, to bad it got cancelled because of Rio.

Edited by Thigolf

I cried like a fucking baby at Toy Story 3's ending, like legit tears coming down as the ending was on, and I hardly cry at films at all.

While Pixar's quality may fluctuate, they definitely know where to hit you when they get their shit together.

Speaking of which, how was Brave anyway, I didn't hear too many good things about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of which, how was Brave anyway, I didn't hear too many good things about it.

It was a pretty good movie.

I'll admit the story was predictable and the premise does seem more like something Disney would make. But I'd say the way they handled them was tolerable. The film did manage to have a couple of emotional moments between the main character and her mother which is the movie's silver lining for me.

I only really like 'Up'. The rest just bore me really. Used to like Toy Story/Finding Nemo but I've seen them too many times I resent them now.

I only really like 'Up'. The rest just bore me really. Used to like Toy Story/Finding Nemo but I've seen them too many times I resent them now.

I just in general don't like seeing certain PIXAR movies over and over again. I'd see them up to 2-3 times at most, but people ALWAYS have to play Up or Toy Story 3 at a movie night, or special event. :|
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was extremely disappointed with Brave. Pixar features their first female protagonist, and the trailer portrays her as this badass heroine, that shoots arrows really well.

Her skills are only useful to drive a plot regarding potential suitors to marry her, in which she doesn't like any, and shows that none of them can beat her in archery. The bad guy in the story, a bear, is not defeated by her arrows; he doesn't even get hurt by any of them. What a weak heroine.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes love love love pixar. My favourites are probably Toy Story Trilogy, Up, and Ratatouille. I love these three equally, couldn't pick a favourite as they're incomparable.

Toy Story 3 has the honour of being the only film to REALLY make me cry (I mean I've cried at movies before but I've never cried tears of utter despair like I did during the incinerator scene since my cat died), and Up has the honour of being the fastest film to make me bawl at only 5 minutes in. Incredible.

And then when I think of stuff like Tortilla Wrap Potato Head and Kevin's introduction, it's almost hard to believe that such intense laughter could come from the same films. True masterpieces of emotion.

And... Nepenthe and Sean already covered why Ratatouille is so uniquely amazing.

I also have a special place in my heart for Wall-E, mainly because I saw it right when Mollfie and I recently had started getting serious.

As for my favourite short, it's probably Lifted from Ratatouille. Downright hilarious. Day & Night was super clever too. I've only seen the poster for it but I'm strangely looking forward to La Luna ever so slightly more than Brave itself (whyyy such long release gaps between US and UK).

Edited by JezMM

I'll touch a bit on what Ride said and say that if it is difficult to watch Pixar's films all the time, or even as often as DreamWorks' best. Movies are a continuous mental investment, and because DW's films don't really go to the thematic depths or even two-hour long running times that Pixar's do, they're very brisk films and easy to continuously handle without a significant loss in enjoyment to be had because they have strong-enough artistry. This also goes with Pixar's earlier films too: Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Monster's Inc especially. This is kind of a double-edged sword to me, unless you really like the film in question, because I think it's just as valuable to have a film that's consistently rewatchable as it is to have one whose writing really, really soars, but I think there's mutually-exclusive qualities of each that make it difficult to achieve both simultaneously. Simply put, I find it a plus that I can pop in Kung Fu Panda 2 anytime and continue to be impressed; not so much that I really have to be in a mood to watch Up or The Incredibles, or even Ratatouille.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

Pixar Concept Art for the next FOUR movies.

a_560x0.jpg

Monsters

a_560x0.jpg

The Good Dinosaur: co-directed by Bob Peterson (co-director/writer, Up; writer, Finding Nemo) and Peter Sohn (an in-house animator and storyboard artist for WALL·E, Ratatouille, The Incredibles). It's set in a world where dinosaurs never went extinct and instead evolved as a society. It's set for a May 30, 2014, release.

a_560x0.jpg

Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind: Rumored to be working with the title The Inside Out, this is the next film from Up director Pete Docter. The film takes place inside the mind of a young girl. It's set for a June 19, 2015, release.

a_560x0.jpg

The Untitled Pixar Movie About the Día de los Muertos: The next project for Lee Unkrich (director/co-writer, Toy Story 3; co-director, Finding Nemo). It's set for a 2016 release — the exact date is not yet known.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/see-concept-art-for-pixars-next-four-movies.html

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 9

The last two sound really interesting, I kinda hope they do the Día de los Muertos documentary(?) in the style of Disney's old educational cartoons like Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom.

Anyone can come up with an awesome concept, let's hope they utilize what they've got well. Very interesting premise for the last 3.

Really really interested in the inside-the-mind one, especially considering it's from Up's director.  I imagine it'll be VERY different from Osmosis Jones, considering that was about the physical biological lifeforms inside the guy's body rather than the non-physical mental stuff.

The into the mind idea seems more like an idea for a short rather than a feature to me.

I'm sad to say that this is the first time I've ever not been excited by pixar's upcoming stuff, I'm sure it'll all be good but nothing's grabbing me.

There's the toy story halloween special that might be good but the animated features and the live action thing they're said to be working on just don't appeal to me :(

If you ever wondered what a Toy Story live action would like your wish has become a reality.

The two guys that did it are actually from around here where I live. They made the movie shot by shot to the original. It's actually pretty cool! If you want to read their story, here is a link:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/gilbert/article_a312f70e-22f7-11e2-a31e-001a4bcf887a.html

Spread the video and the story, these guys deserve it!

Edited by Jaime Bond

Oh my god that's amazing smile.png they did a great job.

It is, and it took them a long time to do it too.

It is a very good video... but in all honesty it just made me want to watch Toy Story itself! :D

Also it reminded me I haven't seen Toy Story 3 yet... :s

• 4 weeks later...

Pixar Concept Art for the next FOUR movies.

That's strange. Finding Nemo 2 isn't there and it's due release on 2016.

That's strange. Finding Nemo 2 isn't there and it's due release on 2016.

It is likely that Finding Nemo 2 is the fifth movie and that it may or may not have been pushed back to 2017.

Edited by Autosaver

Right, now that's a movie I'm really excited to see and know more about. I love any opportunity for animation to explore mental journeys and surreal imagery. Hopefully this can get me hyped for a Pixar movie again.