Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

Yeah, if there's one thing I've would've liked to see was having Mother Gothel be more conflicted about her feelings towards Rapunzel. Yes, she's still clearly selfish to keep her as her own little youth-restoring flower, but I've always wondered if it was possible if she gained some maternal feelings for the girl in the years she's raised her. There were times they exchanged the "I love you. I love you more. I love you most" whenever Gothel had to leave. I thought to myself, "Does she really mean that? Or is that another way of maintaining control over Rapunzel?" Even when Rapunzel found out the truth, having her question, "So all those times when you said you loved me were fake, or do you really love me as a daughter?" having Gothel to actually pause and think about her question before giving in to her vain nature would've been an interesting development on their relationship just as it fell apart.

I have a hard time buying that she honestly felt nothing towards her.

There are a lot of terrible parents who don't care about their children. Some abuse them, others actually kill them. Don't you watch the news?

I don't think that's the point (granted, I don't know of any parents in real life who pretend to love their kids for some personal gain), but rather that the movie is a little ambiguous on how Gothel actually feels about Rapunzel. I actually think there were some feelings there that were ultimately overshadowed by her desire for immortality. At the end of the scene where Rapunzel falsely admits she wants some soup for her birthday, Gothel leaves saying that she loves her with some genuine tenderness in the delivery. But how much of that was merely acting or not?

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think that's the point (granted, I don't know of any parents in real life who pretend to love their kids for some personal gain), but rather that the movie is a little ambiguous on how Gothel actually feels about Rapunzel. I actually think there were some feelings there that were ultimately overshadowed by her desire for immortality. At the end of the scene where Rapunzel falsely admits she wants some soup for her birthday, Gothel leaves saying that she loves her with some genuine tenderness in the delivery. But how much of that was merely acting or not?

I think it's a case of her genuinely caring for Rapunzel, just not as much as herself. She's selfish and incredibly flawed, but she's not evil.

I had an initial feeling of caution about this because the title is almost screaming "let's take the funny popular character kids love and use her to sell the movie" but that's more of a lingering fear than anything. Finding Nemo had a glorious bunch of characters that I'd love to see again, not a single one I didn't adore, and I'd hardly call Dory just comic relief. This has plenty of potential to be fabulous.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh yeah, Finding Dory.

... I don't know why, but I just have a bad feeling about this one. Something in the pit of my stomach just doesn't sit well looking at that title. Maybe it's just because watching Finding Nemo an approximate five gajillion times at school, at dentists, at my cousin's house, etc. has made me completely tired of it. 

Ya I have to admit I totally overloaded on Finding Nemo and haven't been able to watch it in years....

....which is actually partly why it excites me to get new content. 

Finding Dory, huh? Normally, I would be a bit skeptical about the quality of any sequel to stories that were initially self-contained, but for this, I'll give it a chance. Though I haven't seen Cars 2 or Brave yet, Pixar haven't really disappointed me yet. If the Toy Story sequels are anything to go by, then I'm certain that they'll give it just as much love as they did with Finding Nemo.

Sean, you clearly haven't seen Winnie the Pooh. That movie is absolutely wonderful. It's pure Disney magic if I've ever seen it. I challenge anyone to find a flaw in that movie.

As much as I love that movie to death, Pixar did have their hands in that one as well. John Lasseter directed it, if memory serves.

As much as I love that movie to death, Pixar did have their hands in that one as well. John Lasseter directed it, if memory serves.

John Lasseter was one of the three producers for Winnie The Pooh (along Peter Del Vecho and Craig Sost). Stephen J. Anderson and Don Hall directed the film.

Finding Dory..interesting. To be honest, I didn't expect this title coming. I'm happy with the way Finding Nemo ended, but if Pixar thinks they can keep it up and add another great story to it, then I'm willing to give it a shot. After all, I loved Toy Story 2 and 3, those were great movies and the first two really look like they could have ended happily as well, but Pixar decided to take it out the whole way and it worked out just fine.

I don't want to judge this movie until I've seen more and I'm not going to let something like Cars 2 throw me off about it. I see that as just one bump in what otherwise is a very strong and successful road. Dory as the main character wouldn't be my first pick, but I'll admit that it will be very interesting to see more about who she is and her past.

John Lasseter was one of the three producers for Winnie The Pooh (along Peter Del Vecho and Craig Sost). Stephen J. Anderson and Don Hall directed the film.

Ah, yes. Thanks. My point sort-of still stands, I guess. Lasseter's one of the big ones pushing for traditionally animated films.

The title at face value may appear to be an obvious call to the original film, and may appear to be named as such such for the sake of merchandising, but to me, the title goes deeper than that.

Just take a look at the synopsis. It doesn't state that Dory has gone missing and Marlin and Nemo are looking for her - and while it may actually turn out to be what happens, it's not stressed in the summary. Rather, her being all alone in the ocean in Finding Nemo is the prologue for this plot. She's stated to be "looking for her loved ones" in this film, which is opposite to the plot of Finding Nemo in reference to the title. And she'll learn "a few things about the meaning of family."

Looking at that, I don't think the movie's about physically finding Dory. It's about finding out what Dory is all about, finding her motives, her desires, and finding the true Dory, in a sense, after all she has been through and will go through in this movie.

If that's what Pixar is going for with this title, then I really look forward to how this film plays out.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 7

I just wonder how they plan to market this one, given how OTT their current marketing campaign is. 

Finding Dory sounds better than slapping a 2 on the Finding Nemo title (Lost.. AGAIN?).

Hopefully I won't be dead by 2015.

Ah, yes. Thanks. My point sort-of still stands, I guess. Lasseter's one of the big ones pushing for traditionally animated films.

He was only the executive producer. Don't the DISNEY writers and directors that actually created the film deserve most credit? Lasseter was too busy directing his Mater fanfiction.

While I can't claim any knowledge about the movie's production or who was in charge, I'll affirm that Winnie the Pooh (2011) was fantastic. Very charming, funny, and beautifully animated.

also they got Zoey Deschanel to do the theme song and she's lovely. c:

• Thumbs Up 3

While I can't claim any knowledge about the movie's production or who was in charge, I'll affirm that Winnie the Pooh (2011) was fantastic. Very charming, funny, and beautifully animated.

LOL Winnie the Pooh.

If I remember correctly, that was released on the same day/time as that Harry Potter movie? I was going to see it but nobody was up for it. :(

According to behind the scenes footage, Lasseter told them to return Pooh to his roots and left them at it.

Hilarious. I never knew Ellen would constantly push Finding Nemo 2 jokes in her show. AFAIK, she's Dory's voice actor.

• Thumbs Up 3