Awoo.

Pixar Animation Studios

How is Ellen DeGeneres voicing Dory news to anyone?

Where have ya'll been.

• Thumbs Up 7

The only worry I have with the Nemo sequel would be trying to Americanize it. :/ Just seems strange how they moved from the Great Barrier Reef to the California coast line...unless they try and go for an enviromental message in the film, with how the Reef is dying?

I'm pretty happy about this, glad they won't simply be doing Finding Nemo 2, hopefully, as some people have said, the title is metaphorical as opposed to literally them searching for Dory.

So we get Monsters University this near, The Good Dinosaur next year then Finding Dory, presumably Inside Out will be pushed back to 2016.

Good stuff.

Edited by Jake Bird

I'm skeptical about this, if only because the first movie ended on a pretty conclusive note. So depending on how this plays out, it may or may not be good. Then again, I like Dory so I'm more optimistic as well.

Ellen voice acting this? NOPE, ruined forever.

Even if Ellen wasn't Dory's original voice actor, what exactly would be the problem with her having a part in this?

So, I saw Brave on Friday. I thought it was really good. I know a lot of people were disappointed by it, though. Why exactly? I stopped following it after it was released so I'd be surprised by it once I did see it, so I just know about the disappointment, but not the reasons.

So, I saw Brave on Friday. I thought it was really good. I know a lot of people were disappointed by it, though. Why exactly? I stopped following it after it was released so I'd be surprised by it once I did see it, so I just know about the disappointment, but not the reasons.

I saw it and personally enjoyed it.

But I think the reason why people were disappointed (And correct me if I'm wrong,) was because it was kind of a typical rebellious princess story that really did nothing to make the formula interesting... Or something like that.

The story is a little all over the place, just not as tight as we've come to expect from Pixar. There'san odd feeling surrounding all of it, possibly something to do with the director being switched halfway through.

I like it though. I like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to that Tangled argument on Page 8 -

tumblr_mir7386F3K1rcso6uo1_500.gif

She kisses her hair.

Gothel directs most of her loving gestures towards Rapunzel’s hair. In “Mother Knows Best”, Gothel gives a particularly noticeable, prolonged look at her hair and rubs her cheek against it. She also calls Rapunzel her “flower” several times.

First time watching “Tangled”, afterwards I thought, but Mother Gothel did seem to care for her in the beginning. Did she actually care for her, just a little? But after watching it a second time, I noticed all of her subtle ways of emotionally manipulating Rapunzel into being dependent on her (convincing her that staying inside was for her own good, and constantly chipping away at her self esteem before dismissing it as “just teasing” with a smile and a wave, keeping her compliant with small kindnesses like going away to get Rapunzel the shells she wanted), and all of the subtle signs that even as Gothel acted like she loved Rapunzel, all she really cared about was her hair.

Basically, “Tangled” is really clever at showing an emotionally abusive, parasitic and manipulative family relationship. It’s effective because it’s so subtle.

Well shit

• Thumbs Up 7

The story was not Pixar's best and I thought Merida was a tad ungrateful when her mum was turned into a bear. When she said said sorry at the end I sighed and went "FINALLY!". However I will admit that the animation was beautiful and the music was nice too. But it did not deserve an Oscar, especially compared to WIR (at least Disney won best short, it's something!) and Paranorman. I guess the old geezers at the Academy don't care about the story in animated features. Anyway here's hoping that Monsters University is better!

Sans Merida's mom turning into a bear, Brave has some fairly predictable story beats unlike Pixar's few previous original efforts like Up, Ratatouille, and Wall-E. Also, it was advertised as and hinted to be this wide-sweeping adventure across the Scottish landscape; one of the trailers has Merida and her horse Angus trudging through a snowstorm on a mountain, a shot never put in the film. It's a good film for sure, but all of this coupled with the fact that it was on the tail-end of Cars 2 gave people massive hype for a film that never existed. xP

• Thumbs Up 7

Man, I just remembered how great the Disney/Pixar intro from 1995-2006 sounds. Nostalgia hits you hard.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 7

Going back to that Tangled argument on Page 8 -

tumblr_mir7386F3K1rcso6uo1_500.gif

She kisses her hair.

Well shit

And this is why Tangled rocks.  I wish more people started to notice how clever it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, I just remembered how great the Disney/Pixar intro from 1995-2006 sounds. Nostalgia hits you hard.

Am I the only one who wishes that Disney continued using this logo instead of replacing it with the current one?

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who wishes that Disney continued using this logo instead of replacing it with the current one?

Nope. I really wish they continued using this specific intro for Pixar films, while using the current intro for Disney live-action films, or films by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a few months old, but here's a small clip of The Blue Umbrella, the short film set to air before the start of Monster's University.

Here's some screenshots:

The-Blue-Umbrella-From-Above-Hi-Res.jpgoriginal18584730.jpg

I think people also expected it to be much better than Cars 2 from the previous year.

I found it a lot better than Cars 2.

Cars 2 was a massive POS...

I found it a lot better than Cars 2.

Cars 2 was a massive POS...

That's not really saying much. Cars 2 may have been Pixar's definite worst, but Brave was just pretty much as mediocre as it gets.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching a majority of Pixar's films lately, I feel like as if I need to make somethign reflecting the times I've had with Pixar since I saw Monster Inc. in theaters in 2001.

Pixar. In 1986, it was just simply a small, unknown company based off of Lucasfilm's computer animation division. Fast forwarding to today, it's now one of the most famous and renowned animation studios in the world. They made films. Films using animation made with a computer. However, instead of using these new techniques as just tests, they used it to tell a story. John Lasseter directed Pixar's first short film and official work, Luxo Jr. It's just two lamps playing around with a ball. Lame? Incorrect. Lasseter and Pixar brought what was previously seen as lifeless, inanimate objects into energetic, living things with their own body language and behavior. What makes Pixar so special is that they can tell a damn good story (most of the time) with the help of gorgeous, fluid animation and loveable characters.

tumblr_l8x4feiZ111qazzzjo1_500.gif

Toy Story once again takes what were seen as just simply child's playthings and literally brought them to life with their own personality and thoughts. Monsters. Inc, bringing back a simple concept from our childhoods with the "Monsters in our closet" scare, and cleverly made their own expansive story out of that. Finding Nemo showed that there was more to the fish in the tank that you saw at the dentist. The Incredibles showed an interesting take on the usual superhero story, with an entire family of supers trying to get back into their usual shtick after being forced to live like normal civilains. Cars told a story about how someone usually involved in the mainstream business comes to appreciate old-school life. Ratatouille showed how a sewer rat just simply wanted to be a chef. The epic narrative of WALL-E shows what the scenario of "What if we all left Earth and forgot to turn off the last robot"? Up tells a message on how that life is an adventure, and that there's always something to look for, and move on from what happens in life, be it something that took an emotional toll on you.

Animation should be about bringing animation to life, something that can't be done in live-action. Almost any Pixar short or feature film does it so effectively that it becomes no surprise as to how they raised the bar each time when it comes to their technical work and storytelling. I may have been only 2 years old when I saw Toy Story on a VHS, but I loved it all the way, I even begged for my mom to get me each time we went to Toys R' Us. The first Pixar film I got to see in theaters was Monsters Inc, and I once again, loved it. Since then, I've come to see each Pixar film in theaters, throughly impressed with not only the visuals and animation, but with the funny writing, acting, and the general tone and feel of them. (barring Cars 2 and Brave.)

As someone who is an aspiring animator, Pixar has always been a guide to me these past 13 years. Although they have stumbled with their recent entries, it will remain as one of my favorite animation studios of all-time, and have a very special place in my heart as I grow up to pursue the career they have inspired me to have.

Thank you, Pixar, for making my childhood and millions of others. And thank you for showing that imagination is truly magic.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...