Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Wow. I just had a rather nice chat with some Sonic Retro folk and now this...

I am Sonic Retro... or, well, about half of it. You should start talking to the right people.

Thanks for your eloquent post first of all! Lovely language.

Don't patronize me. If you want to be treated with respect, you should learn to respect the people you decide to use as a crutch for your own controversial decisions.

Was my post a personal attack on Sonic Retro? No it was merely an example of the behavoir that leads to me not having the budget to add a major feature to one platform of the game.

The lack of online play is the reason I'm not buying the game; I'm not rich, and I don't have any of these fancy new nextgen systems and the like, so the PC version is the only one I have to look forward to. Unfortunately, that functionality is being alienated from that version of the game... and just because people are going to pirate it? No shit! When you choose to develop and release a professional game, you automatically acknowledge and accept the inevitability that people will pirate it. On the flip side, though, for every person who pirates it, you have about a hundred people buying it. It's a bullshit excuse. The console versions of the game are getting pirated just as much, if not more, because they actually have online play in them. A bit of an oversight on your part, maybe?

I've certainly no issue with people modding the games they own, in fact I'm costantly amazed and surprised at what's been acheived.

But there is a difference between that and posting links to software to obtain it illegally. There it's my livelihood at risk.

I totally accept this; in fact, I am in full support of your plight to discourage piracy of the game! That's why I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you had the gall to point at my website and use it as an example. Why don't you point to all the scene groups or the individuals actually cracking your copy protection in the first place? Why would you choose to go out of your way to namedrop a website that is actively removing links to pirated version of the game? That's completely unacceptable! You've got a lot of nerve. You can bet there's a ton of people here pirating the game too--why aren't you calling them out? I can't even believe you did that.

Seriously, if you want a reason why you rarely get to talk to the people behind the Sonic games, please re-read your post and consider if you'd like someone to speak to you in that manner.

First off, we do get to talk to the people behind the Sonic games--on a regular basis, even! On the very website you decided to slander in your ignorance, we have a plethora of SEGA employees who regularly interact with us and are happy to answer our questions, because we showed them the basic respect that you absolutely failed to show our website when throwing accusations around. Respect is a two-way street; the very second you failed to show it to our website, you opened yourself up for the same kind of slap in the face you gave me the second I read your comment. If you want your userbase to respect you, then learn to respect them first. Otherwise, I don't care what game you've worked on--I don't want to talk to you.

If you don't see anything wrong with what you've done, then there's a serious problem here. The least you could do is apologize for being completely wrong.

Edited by Tweaker
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Ow...my thumb.

My order came in two days ago, and from what gameplay I have done, so far it is indeed a worthy racing game.

I have the Wii version, and a couple of gripes, however.

First off is the placement of the drift button next to the drive button when you use the Wii wheel. Because of this close proximity and the size of the buttons, it is hard for me to shift and "feather" the drive button while going around bends to make tighter turns. Sometimes I pull up on the wrong button and I continue to drift, or if I pull up, I cannot keep my thumb steady on the drive button. Because of this, my thumb is sore right now. Personally, I liked the drift button placement of Mario Kart Wii much better, since it used the B button which was located on the other side of the wheel; not only was the button bigger, but there was less snap-judgment confusion among releasing the button.

That's my biggest complaint.

I also have some issues with the graphics, but I am unsure if it because of the Wii, the T.V. set I have (even though I have a Hi-Def cable hooked up to it) or both. The graphics are kind of muddy, and with all of the awesome detail they crammed in the game, it's a crying shame that I cannot enjoy it all with my version as it appears. Bah. You have forsaken me Wii graphics.

And where's my replay? I want to see Robotnik shake his groove thang over and over again. That's not how you treat a lady, guys. :P

But despite these gripes, I have a positive feel with this game. I do feel like I am coming off like I have received the short end of the stick with this version, but nevertheless it's still positive (personally, I could never see the interest as playing as a Mii, which may have to do with part of it, while XBox had their Avatars and their Bird and Bear. Third party character next time perhaps? I mean Nintendo has a good roster on their hands. Tingle for one. :lol: )

Well, what do I like?

Everything not listed above. Characters for one which are the sole staple of the game. I get the feeling that research has gone in to their backgrounds and each character is treated like a little actor on their own and not just shoehorned in, like with a lot of games. Even their vehicles are a part of their soul and character; Big has a bike reminiscent of one of the fishing scooters you would see on the dirt roads of Southeast Asia, Beat has his urban "pimped out" vehicle complete with exhaust pipes coming out of the speakers, Eggman has his bombast and rebellious monster truck (speaking of which, I wonder with all of the vehicles he had in the past, they decided to choose this design and not go with something previous,like, say the Drill Car from Sonic 2?)

The announcer is actually entertaining to listen to. What's that? This feeling? Oh, yes, it is excitement. Hmmm? Eggman and his moustache? Why you listed them as separate entities.

I find it funny that despite this being a racing game and it being an appropriate place, you don't see one detail pertaining to any of the Sonic Riders games, including some of the kick-ass techno beats from the second entry.

The racing mechanics are also top-notch, except I had one teeny little problem, and that was with the Whale Lagoon ( I believe) and the amount of speed you need to get to surpass the jump. if you don't surpass it and happen to crash into the side, you will be sent back to the part you started out on, and not the other side. Seems fine, until you realize you need enough speed to make the jump, and the booster pad won't help with the heavier cars, because it will be an endless loop of crashing and failing. Not a problem if you have Time Trials, but if it was a race, you would need to back up to regain momentum and that costs a large chunk of your time to get back to the right speed to try over again.

The good part is that you can turn rubberbanding off, which gave me nostalgia from the older Mario Kart games when carrying a huge lead, everything was quiet (except the background music and the sound of your motor running) and everyone was way off in the distance.

My favourite characters so far? Dastardly Robotnik is obviously head honcho, but I also like the feel of Shadow's bike. Ryo is another favourite, Jacky, Big (your don't smash the pots mission is driving me up the wall, however,)Billy Hatcher, and in some instances, Beat. Ulala's cornering is tricky, but she has slick style (after all, that's why they call it the Astro Glider....Alright. I hear you booing at the pun. I'll get my hat.)

The only driver that drives me up the wall is Tails. I guess with every Sonic Racing game so far, I cannot connect with the two-tailed fox. Yay, I have a leitmotif!

Weapons are fun (yes, it would be hard for me not to compare them to their Mario Kart cousins) but you have some different ones. That Shooting Star, guys? Doesn't affect me one bit. I dunno why, but I drive perfectly fine after having the screen flipped 180 degrees.

I do have two questions, however, and one is with the axed Showtime mode. The idea of having Robotnik messing with your racer seems well, fun and in character. But since Robotnik was going to be racing, how would have that worked? I would think that Eggman Nega as a stand in as the announcer could have made it worked since the man is a psychopath, and that you also have the same VA ( Robotnik was the results commentator for Mission mode in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, even though it was in text.) I hope there will be chances for this in a future game. I mean, it sounds so awesome, and I could hear the man talk all day long.

Second is, I really REALLY now want to see your company take a spin on Mario Kart. Next Level Games did an outstanding job producing the characters for the Strikers series, and they are a third party developer. I wonder if there will be any chance of seeing that?

• Thumbs Up 1

He's a fucking professional, pointing at a fan-site that does things without the motivation of money. Noone's bitching to him, we're making simple claims. If the PC had online play it WOULD sell 10 times more than it ever will, and we're talking about the same guy who said BLAME SONIC DRIFT WHY SONIK IS IN A CAR

So don't tell me to give him a break when we're being insulted for asking simple questions and getting juvenile insults as a response

EDIT: And not that the spamfest this thread is isn't enjoyable to sift through already. Noone can cover up for "THIS IS THE REASON YOU DON'T HAVE ONLINE PLAY"

Tom, I've told you this on Skype before, it's not that your arguments are wrong but it's your anger that makes you come off that you are ignorant and whiny. You set off at the sight of a match and explode into fury at the drop of a hat. I agree, no online for the PC sucks but at the same time, if I was a game developer and I was making a multi-console game like this where online was a big part, I would be more than aware the PC is easily piratable, and I am not accusing you or anyone here of doing that, but it's the truth. Online gives reason to buy the easily buyable console versions, which is on every current gen console but PSP. If online was on the PC version, I can guarantee you lots of people wouldn't buy the game. Not us here, but I know this to be true and to deny the truth in this would be ignorance. Yes, it sucks for PC gamers, and in a perfect world online would add to the game and all PC owners would be happy, but where there be game pirates or even just your average joe who learns he can gets full games for free, online does give a reason for them to maybe buy it and support the game.

In other words, it's not that I think your wrong, just how you approach it with such hostile words makes your arguments a huge turn-off.

Edited by Dusk the Biohazard Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lash out?

I mentioned there were posts on a Sonic forum providing links to download versions of our game?

How is lashing out? By speaking a fact, and the truth?

I've been as open as I can about why the PC has no online. You may not like the reason, but that doesn't make it any less true.

And if after two titles with Sonic in them you don't think we may Sonic games... Well.

Seriously, I have nothing but respect for the community, but I am human and when I links to ISO's and Roms, I'm not going to like it.

You've basically misunderstood my point, used that to run with the fact you don't want to believe the very real reason why the PC version is offline, and I'm the one lashing out?

Wow :)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Tom, I've told you this on Skype before, it's not that your arguments are wrong but it's your anger that makes you come off that you are ignorant and whiny. You set off at the sight of a match and explode into fury at the drop of a hat. I agree, no online for the PC sucks but at the same time, if I was a game developer and I was making a multi-console game like this where online was a big part, I would be more than aware the PC is easily piratable, and I am not accusing you or anyone here of doing that, but it's the truth. Online gives reason to buy the easily buyable console versions, which is on every current gen console but PSP. If online was on the PC version, I can guarantee you lots of people wouldn't buy the game. Not us here, but I know this to be true and to deny the truth in this would be ignorance. Yes, it sucks for PC gamers, and in a perfect world online would add to the game and all PC owners would be happy, but where there be game pirates or even just your average joe who learns he can gets full games for free, online does give a reason for them to maybe buy it and support the game.

Again, this doesn't contribute anything to the debate at hand. I'm not angry whatsoever, I'm dissapointed.

EDIT: And Steve ending your post with one word endings and emoticons is something that potentially could cause people to take them the wrong way. You can't undo what you've already written .

Edited by jackskellinghog
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post but honestly this is getting out of hand and we really don't need members coming here to defend their community, get back on topic. Anymore posts on the matter will be deleted.

Also, good thinking jackskellinghog, calling out a moderator for stepping in on the drama.

The piracy of this game matters not right now since it's just been released - I think everybody should take a step back and realize that the Bonanza Brothers are in this game. That is all we really need, amirite?

Seriously though, let's let sleeping animals lay. Cheers. :)

Again, this doesn't contribute anything to the debate at hand. I'm not angry whatsoever, I'm dissapointed.

That's fair, I will admit if the PC version was the version I was going for I would be dissapointed too, and I won't lie about that fact, but even if not angry the posts had a natural hostility that made them seem like you were angry. Perception is important, and I may not be contributing much but I am discussing. Back to contributing I go. The PC version lacking online does suck, I agree completely. Online is a huge component in a game like this, it's for having fun with friends, near and far, and lacking that ability detracts from the PC version value.

Where I stand, I'll be getting the 360 version once I find these $60 I put on my drawer and somehow disappeared in the last week... I probably misplaced it but I was holding it aside to buy the game, and now I got to do the searching game to find it. What I will say is that I watched some videos on Opa Opa and I love his animations, I was afraid he'd be missing his feet but alas, they're there. Also love his taunt of turning around and folding his wings as if to show off. Though I find his detachable wings a bit weird at first. XD

Edited by Dusk the Biohazard Keeper

The piracy of this game matters not right now since it's just been released - I think everybody should take a step back and realize that the Bonanza Brothers are in this game. That is all we really need, amirite?

Seriously though, let's let sleeping animals lay. Cheers. :)

Chris, with all do respect... We're not angry nor calling anyone out. We just don't see why Retro should receive blame for an incident that was solved very quickly.

EDIT: Jake, do you even know what you're talking about? Calling out a moderator? Why does everything have to be about conflict, he posted calling out ME. I simply said that I thought everything was settled, apparently not. This has nothing to do with you.

• Bad Quality Post 3

If I wasn't such a poor college student right now (WHERE ARE ALL THE DAMN JOBS D:) I'd be able to get this game and catch up on like...the 4 other titles that came out this year that I want so far D:. And more keep coming!! But of course it'll be the SEGA titles that will be getting my first pick when I get the chance, this game being my priority and then Bayonetta probably at the same time :D. But dammit, I've got no money haha, it all goes towards food and rent right now.

Edit: Oh, and about S0L, I think he is an awesome dude! A real nice guy imo.

Edited by DesertPunk

Chris, with all do respect... We're not angry nor calling anyone out. We just don't see why Retro should receive blame for an incident that was solved very quickly.

I didn't say you guys were getting angry, but I'm not one 'in the know' on what beefs are had with S0L. I'm just not fond of having our report inbox filling faster than we can assess the topic. XD

EDIT: Jake, do you even know what you're talking about? Calling out a moderator? Why does everything have to be about conflict, he posted calling out ME. I simply said that I thought everything was settled, apparently not. This has nothing to do with you.

Just doing my job. Apparently you think it's a personal thing; I only stepped in because I won't tolerate people having attacks and insults thrown around each other on this board faster than lightning.

EDIT: Jake, again you have nothing to do with the topic and debate at hand. I'm not disrespecting you and I know you were trying to step in, but when someone blames an entire community for a few idiots blunders, you can expect a rather abrupt response.

Well at least keep it off this forum.

Edited by Jake
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't say you guys were getting angry, but I'm not one 'in the know' on what beefs are had with S0L. I'm just not fond of having our report inbox filling faster than we can assess the topic. XD

Look at the original message that we deemed unacceptable. It stated that Retro was the reason that there was no online play, which simply isn't true and a complete foul-play. I don't have beef or grudges with anyone, I'm not angry. I'm dissapointed that a paid official blamed a community site for an incident that was solved very quickly.

EDIT: Jake, again you have nothing to do with the topic and debate at hand. I'm not disrespecting you and I know you were trying to step in, but when someone blames an entire community for a few idiots blunders, you can expect a rather abrupt response.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Right, I can see I've offended and I'd like to apologise to Sonic Retro first of all. I don't believe the site to be a bunch of filthy pirates after all, but passionate and true fans who do some amazing mods.

Tweaker, my eloquence point wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Jacks rather colourful use of language. I can usually manage to make my points without launching into swearing.

As for controversial, if you go and read the thread that prompted all this, I've done my level best to explain why. It was also me that first pointed put online wouldn't be there. As I didn't want anyone bring misled into buying it expecting that feature.

If anything, next time I will stay well clear. Rather than attempt to explain why and how decisions are made, it's probably safer for me to let it lie.

Again, apologies, I'll amend the offending posts tomorrow when I'm in front of a proper computer.

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Right, I can see I've offended and I'd like to apologise to Sonic Retro first of all. I don't believe the site to be a bunch of filthy pirates after all, but passionate and true fans who do some amazing mods.

Tweaker, my eloquence point wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Jacks rather colourful use of language. I can usually manage to make my points without launching into swearing.

As for controversial, if you go and read the thread that prompted all this, I've done my level best to explain why. It was also me that first pointed put online wouldn't be there. As I didn't want anyone bring misled into buying it expecting that feature.

If anything, next time I will stay well clear. Rather than attempt to explain why and how decisions are made, it's probably safer for me to let it lie.

Again, apologies, I'll amend the offending posts tomorrow when I'm in front of a proper computer.

---

S0L

---

I'm sorry for my use of language, I just as Tweaker hold Retro close as It has contributed a lot to the Sonic community and seeing what appeared like a slandering of it was quite unnerving. I enjoy your game and have already bought a copy.

Look at the original message that we deemed unacceptable. It stated that Retro was the reason that there was no online play,

What?? All he said was that the game was posted on Sonic Retro. (Which it was!!) He wasn't insulting the site.

---

S0L

---

Sorry for misinterpreting you. Glad to see we've reached an understanding, and apologies for the trouble. I appreciate it. :) Edited by Tweaker
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Can't we all just get along? Dammit, NINJA'd

Let's focus on a more worthwhile topic, like all of you giving me money so I can buy this game and beat you online :V

Edited by Aquaslash

.. Anyway, back on the farm..

Hopefully Mobo and Robo lighten the mood:

^Still processing but should be good soon^

I wasn't aware that the Bonanza Brothers - two characters from a game I really enjoyed when I was younger (though my teammate always failed hard) - were in the game! What a blast of nostalgia. Might they be unlockable or available at the start? It might warrant a purchase either way..

Edit: Might I also ask how their stats compare with the other racers'? Also special moves. :0~

---

S0L

---

All good S0L, trust me one thing I have learned over time of talking with all types of people is that sometimes we say things or get misinterpreted to mean things we don't and sometimes in defense we can make things not how we intend. I don't blame you at all, and still have nothing but the utter most respect for you. But your human as is anyone else, we all make mistakes, and we all have to make choices. You guys as a company decided there shouldn't be online for the PC version, and I see where both your company and PC players are coming from.

By the way, I love the Parts All-Star Move and am really happy you guys decided to add Opa Opa, he was one of my favorite childhood game characters, I used to love Super Fantasy Zone, and I love how different he is from the rest of the racers. He's interesting and strangely cute and cool all in one, whoever originally designed him pulled off somehow being some form of badass and cute at the same time wonderfully. It's also nice to play as him again, and for that alone (not even mixing with other things I love like the controls, character selection as a whole, and track layout) I am loving this game. Also interested what you guys have up your sleeves in terms of upcoming DLC.

I'm glad people have made amends- I don't think I've ever seen a development team make such an effort to integrate into the communities before this game, and I'd hate for us to loose that. In fact, I've never played a producer/developer at their own game before either, so today marks a first for that too! Another thing that shows here, after at least two years of development and eventually what must've turned into eating and sleeping ASR for the devs at Sumo, to see them happily playing the game online on launch day shows love for the product. Major kudos for you guys for doing that, too. B)

I'm still having a problem with the Avatar all-star move though, the four people aren't from my friends list. 8( I thought they were supposed to be, did it get removed or did I just misinterpret what was supposed to happen?

Also Overlord, I hope you never get bored of that avatar. It pretty much is Overlord, to me. ;O;

Edited by bolt7

Can't we all just get along? Dammit, NINJA'd

Let's focus on a more worthwhile topic, like all of you giving me money so I can buy this game and beat you online :V

Ignoring the last 2 pages...

@ Aquaslash: Haha your funny.

@ the guy who posted big w/ SADX theme: AWESOME! I couldn't stop laughing and being wow'd by how awesome that jump at like 23secs was. I just found a shortcut (if that even counts as one) I will be trying to master when i get the game.

Chris, how could you not know they were in? When they were first revealed I even said you'd probably be the only person on the forum who actually cared, since everyone else was like 'BONANZA BROS ARE THE NEW R.O.B'

They're unlockable characters, though seeing as how everything is bought from a shop and money throws itself at you they can be unlocked in about half an hour of playing from the start.

Considering I was one of the first to bitch about them being included I've actually warmed upto them abit, I hated the MegaDrive game and as a result never paid much attention to the characters but they're actually quite funny to watch in this.

Lol @ how they're listed as humans when they're quite blatantly not.

@ the guy who posted big w/ SADX theme: AWESOME! I couldn't stop laughing and being wow'd by how awesome that jump at like 23secs was. I just found a shortcut (if that even counts as one) I will be trying to master when i get the game.

I'm the guy! :D Glad you liked it, the lake jump I made was a complete mistake, I was trying to whip around the bend rahter than crossing over. But since then I've been able to jump the lake consistently. :)

WHat you do is try to get a triple boost and they hit the curve hard in the opposite direction. You should aim forward and hit the edge of the track (not the sand) to fly over the lake.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1