Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Is it a character or track from the Sonic series or something else Sega fans don't quite remember?

Edited by Mugendude26

Is it a character or track from the Sonic series or something else Sega fans don't quite remember?

Tis music, good sir.

Ah yes, I haven't given my opinion on the whole DLC matter! Phantasy Star is a classic and continued SEGA franchise with absolutely no references! How can this be?

Estimated date? Give me another month or two. No promises, though. I'll stop teasing, then. xD Next time you hear about it, it'll be from an official source, or because I was asked about it.

Edited by Aptiva

Because that would be settling for less?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that us Sega fans were thrown a few bones here and there. But ultimately I feel that they could have done better, and I'm not going to set my standards to a "well, it could have been worse" level. And while it's understandable that they put recognizable things in over fanservice, I don't see that as an excuse for everything either. As much as I'd hate, hate, HATE to bring up Nintendo, they had to handle the same situation with the Smash Bros franchise. While they weren't perfect either, you didn't see HAL making a third of the the cast Mario characters with 10 stages to leave some lesser known franchises without any locations.

Besides, our complaints are ultimately a good thing. If Sega fans had simply sat back and said nothing rather than express our disappointment, Ryo wouldn't even be in this game. Being appreciative is one thing, but expressing letdowns can be just as important when it comes to what moves the developers make in the future.

Well yeah, they could have done better, I agree there. But a lot of people seem to be over reacting. It is kinda just a racing game after all, lol. And I really, really doubt that if there'll be more DLC tracks/characters that they'll all be limited to the Sonic franchise. So who knows what they could add? Sure, a few characters have been already denied from being racers, but at least they make some kind of cameo, right? Maybe they'll add some of the characters, (that haven't been denied already), later on? It has to be taken into mind the time they had to make this by, they had a certain date it needed to be done, yeah?

I understand the complaints being good for Sega to learn. But when some people go; "I regret buying this because they only made Ristar a cameo and not a racer." etc. That's just being silly about it. It shouldn't alter the enjoyability of the game.

Estimated date? Give me another month or two. No promises, though. I'll stop teasing, then. xD Next time you hear about it, it'll be from an official source, or because I was asked about it.

How sad :(

By then, this poor game will have been replaced by others in the pipeline.

Surely your art project with SEGA is complete with only last-minute refinements?

This is not aimed at anyone specific here, it's my responce to things happening here and on other forums out there....

Every person who has moaned about the lack of a certain character or the inclusion of X character and future people who will moan about the lack of a character/inclusion of a character/any character that they wanted appearing as a cameo and not playable. I hate Sumo Digital for now doing what I tell them too.

Because I am sick to death of hearing people go on about this I'm going to write my reply now, whenever anyone starts to moan about the quoted above I'm going to just quote this post as my reply.

The title of this game is not Sega All Stars Racing, it's SONIC & Sega All Stars Racing. The clue is in the title, Sonic characters are going to appear in greater numbers than any other franchise that Sega owns. Why is this you ask? I shall tell you.

Because Sonic is a family friendly title which has been around for years and continues to get high profile launches to this day. Even if you are not a fan of Sega, chances are you know of many different Sonic characters. The game is a multiformat title which is aimed at 7 year olds and over, it's designed to appeal to the family and is designed to be played by all ages and by relatives as well as friends. Even parents as well as the very young who have no idea who the Bonanza Brothers, Ryo, Akira are will most likely spot someone that they know because of the simple reason that Sonic is included along with his friends (and enemies). It's not a completely alien world to people who know very little about Sega or videogaming in general.

Lets pretend that this game has no Sonic characters in it at all, instead we get Ristar, Ecco, Axel, Wonder Boy, Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III, Scooter, Srg. Fist, Karen, Duke Oda & Shadow Yamoto. Without looking, how many of know who all those characters? How many of you know what those characters look like? How many of you know the sex of all those characters (Shadow Yamoto is female). Oh yes, we Sega fans can sit smugly and say we know who Ristar, Ecco and Wonderboy are. But I think even many Sega fans would struggle to recall who the others are without looking a little bit. I bet not one person here can do that, name all the games that those characters appeared in, or if I just listed their pictures they could name them.

So why then is there some expectation that non Sega Fans will know who the Bonanza Brothers, Ryo, Chu-Chus, Opa-Opa and their history? I certainly didn't know that Ryo drove a forklift, I didn't even get the joke when I saw it, I had no idea about the Bonanza Brothers blinp. Chu-Chus? Yeah I'd heard of them, no idea what they were or did though, and Opa-Opa? What the hell is that thing? But by posting on here by some logic of some moaners, I should know who they are because the game is made for Sega fans?

No... the game is not made for the Sega Fan, it's made for videogame fans, this is obvious if you just look at it for what the game is. Oh yes theres lovely Sega environemtns and very well made Sega characters. But it's a racing game at it's core and it's a very well made one, it's unique selling point is the Sega franchises. But take that away and add in random characters? It's still a great game.

Now, take out all the familiar characters that most people would identify with, and slap in all the old Sega characters that people continue to moan about. Now show it to a non Sega fan.... heck show it to someone who doesn't have a big history of videogames. It's the same game, only now it's made for Sega fans, all the references are for Sega fans and all the jokes are for Sega fans. Who is going to buy that game? Sega fans! Woo! Great... what about everybody else?

Sure you'll sell a few, but nowhere near the numbers you would without Sonic and his friends. This point of being able to identify many characters in the game, even if they're from the series is key to the success of a game like this. Pick up the box and look it over, it's dominated by Sonic characters, even the back of the box. Remove those and replace it by Srg. Fist, Scooter and Karen. Sure it'll look interesting, but theres no way for even the very young videogame fan to identify who those guys are, even older video game fans with little knowledge of Sega and video games will not know who they are. But Sonic exists not just in videogames, he's in TV, books, merchandise, comic books you name it., so chances are, you'll recognise not just him, but some of his buddies as well. Otherwise, it's just another kart game.

Then theres the question as to why Sumo diddn't listen to the fans or put 'your' character in it... Grow the fuck up. They borught back Ryo and included some of his original lines which work perfectly. Many people had thought they'd never see him in a game again. We've actually gotten a 3D version of Ristar in game, OH NO HE'S NOT IN A CAR! Tough luck, but someone has spent time and money designing and putting that thing into the game. All the trophies/achievement titles are nods to the Sega fanbase. They brought back the Bonanza Brothers, Ulala, Chu-Chu's, Opa-Opa as well as some other modern names which don't seem to have much of a future when it comes to a new stand alone title. NiGHTS is in the bloody game for goodness sake, and it's not like that thing isn't going to get anymore games ever, he's had an outting on the Wii in case people forgot and there was a PS2 remake (granted it was Japan only). It's not like thats a character which isn't in need of some screen time.

The bottom line. This game was not, nor was it ever going to be fanservice and fanservice alone for Sega Fans. If they did that, they wouldn't have sold anywhere near the numbers that they did and Sega would have lost a golden opportunity to appeal to NEW FANS. But hey who cares if the game sells really well so long as it has Sarg. Fist and Karen on the boxart right? Maybe we should start a whip-round and each put into the kitty £20, then we can make our own game and hire Sumo to make our own Sega Racing game, no Sonic characters, and put in it as many obscure Sega characters as possible and see if we can sell as many as this title did? Who knows, maybe some people out there remember Srg. Fist, Karen, Scooter, Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III, Dogs Bowser and of course everybodys favourite obscure character Deku.

• Thumbs Up 6

So does anyone else blow ass online like I do? I've only had the game for 2 days now, but no matter how hard I try, I can't win online, XD. I find myself using Sonic and Alex the most, but I notice a lot of people win with Shadow, XP. I haven't really been keeping up on the past you know, 460 pages, but do the bikes usually win?

-Blur

So does anyone else blow ass online like I do? I've only had the game for 2 days now, but no matter how hard I try, I can't win online, XD. I find myself using Sonic and Alex the most, but I notice a lot of people win with Shadow, XP. I haven't really been keeping up on the past you know, 460 pages, but do the bikes usually win?

-Blur

I'm usually Amy, and I can win, I think you just need practice. =O

I think you just need practice. =O

Probably. I still hardly know of any shortcuts, maybe like 5 in total, including my cheap hop over the second whale pond in the first level, XD. I win just fine against computer players, but it's just online I tend to fail at, XD.

Speaking of online, I noticed a few times that suddenly my character isn't able to grab capsules anymore for items, D;. And then when I finish the race, no matter how close I am to 1st, the results say "DNF." I think my connection just might be junk, DX.

-Blur

Yeah, it just sounds like you're experiencing lag, my friend. It happened between us in LBP, too. I bet on everyone else's screens, you're just sitting there at the start line/driving into a wall D=! Also, Did you know about wheelies? press up and down while you're driving as a bike character, and you get a boost. >8( Cheap bikers!

EDIT - And for the record, since I was asked, yes, the project is very far in. It's not 100% done yet though. I'm waiting on co-operation from another party before I can continue.

Edited by Aptiva

There's a downside to the bikers. They have a MUCH harder time doing the Whale Lagoon and Dark Arsenal Shortcuts, which will REALLY screw you over if you're playing against people who know what they're doing.

<insert Cas's huge reply here>

*claps*

To bring up an old quote...

The sooner Sonic fans realise that they make up probably less than 10% of the sales of any Sonic game, the sooner they will realise why no game will ever be aimed at them again

(sadly this quote was made before Sonic 4 but then again, that's not exactly a big game budget wise)

-Blur

I think you just need to practice a bit more. :)

I usually play as Opa-Opa and I'm almost always in the top three of the race. The only bike characters I play with sometimes are Ryo and Alex Kidd (but since I have Ryo in his forklift I don't play his bike version anymore) and to me they're not better or something, just equally as good. Heck, sometimes I even play good races with Jacky and Akira. I think it just depends on what feeling you get when playing certain characters, with some you just race better then with others and I think that depends from person to person.

Most people use Shadow because he's one of the best characters in the game and, well.. he's Shadow the Hedgehog. Bike characters (outside of Big) are really good if you know how to use them which is why a ton of people use/complain about them. Shadow gets the most hate because he's the most frequently used bike character. He's still not the best in the game. That's Sonic. :P It hardly matters to me though, I'm still one of the best players you can find online and I use Knuckles, Ulala, Beat, Alex Kidd, and a few others whenever I feel like it. Granted I've seen Knuckles and Alex Kidd hate too on this board too.

I'd like to say that the game is overall pretty balanced but there definitely are some characters that are quite a bit better than others, but that's always something that occurs when you try to make characters different. If you ask me all the characters with high speed stats are pretty trashy (Eggman, Jacky and Akira, Big the Cat, the ChuChus). Sure they have a lot of speed just outright going at the gas, but with such poor acceleration, poor handling, and lengthy time to charge up Turbo-Boost, they have a bit of a hard time. Especially if the track you're playing on has a lot of quick turns. If their poor handling doesn't get you, then what will is the fact that you might have to change your drift direction before you can charge up even a level 1 Turbo-Boost which sucks. If what you say is true, you're actually in a good spot by using Sonic and Alex Kidd. They're both really good, so you just need to practice more.

I tell you this simply to relay how I feel based on personal experience, but please, don't let what I say put you off a character. I use whoever the hell I want and I still get kicked from rooms for beating people by 20 seconds or more. Sore losers..

Edited by Chooch
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Quick random question of interest for SOL next time he's about, but, well;

Regarding DLC, it's already been stated that due to the way Nintendo does things, 'proper' DLC isn't possible. Now, it's a long shot, but is there any chance that the DLC could have actually been hidden away on the disc for the Wii version and accessed as 'fake' DLC (where the 'DLC' simply unlocks the extra content already on the disc)?

As I said, I know it's a long shot and can't be changed now even if it were possible, and if it could have been then you guys probably would have. So yeah, to sum it up- was/ is there enough space left on the disc for this to even have been possible? I mean, I don't know how much DLC you guys have planned (nor how far ahead in advance you made it), but still!

Edited by Mahzes

I've actually got a question regarding the DLC that was release that shouldn't have been released but got released anyway only for it to be pulled after the release.... do you understand? Neither do I.

How come Ristar doesn't appear in a multiplayer track? Dread, Shadz and myself tested it and he wasn't anywhere in the stage. Is there a reason for this?

Not that I really care too much mind, just wondered if there was a reason for Ristar going for a beer during the multiplayer games... after all we all know that Ristar drinks beer.

Also, whats the deal with the price tag on Ryo-F?

P.S. Any chance of getting one of the Sonic Says to read "Pressing Up, Down, Left, Right, Start on the title screen will not unlock 1970's Trousers Mode"

Edited by Casanova

$5 for forklift Ryo is absurd.

I knew it was going to have some ridiculous price.

Edited by Chooch

Update from Aptiva under his NSIYusuke tag at the SEGA forums -

You know how, when you tell someone to pass a message on, and they keep telling others to pass it on, how the end result becomes completely different from what you originally told the first person? xD That's totally what's happening here, right now. I never confirmed or deconfirmed(?) that it was related to Sonic, or any other franchise. I think I can summarize all the clues for you right here, just so it's RIGHT from me. =)

+ Those two pictures are indeed officially from me. One's an in game shot (The Green one), and the other's not (The White/Blue/Black/Red striped one).

+ It's All Stars Racing related. I haven't confirmed it to be anything. Racer, Music, Track, Avatar Award, 1970's trousers mode, nothing! I haven't told you yet. xD! It's definitely NOT a new game. It's definitely part of an existing one.

+ I haven't mentioned a specific series that this is from. It COULD be from Sonic, but it has an equally large chance of NOT being from Sonic. The only reason that it was labelled in "Sonic Related", is just because of the game's title.

+ The purple bit of the green picture definitely is not a part of any character's body, confirmed or not.

+ If it wasn't from me, then take it for what it's worth unless it's from an official source, or Dreadknux from SSMB. Gee, it just occurred to me that I count as an official source now, ahaha, cool! *booted*

+ It doesn't have anything to do with my band. Only me and the other official folk involved.

I think that covered it...

EDIT: Oh, yes. And my Photobucket's account was Sonic06, it had nothing to do with the actual content.

http://forums.sega.com/showpost.php?p=5724271&postcount=573

It could indeed be anything. I think we'll just have to wait and see. First I'll wait for a release date for Metal Sonic and the track.

Regarding DLC, it's already been stated that due to the way Nintendo does things, 'proper' DLC isn't possible. Now, it's a long shot, but is there any chance that the DLC could have actually been hidden away on the disc for the Wii version and accessed as 'fake' DLC (where the 'DLC' simply unlocks the extra content already on the disc)?

No chance at all. If the files were already on the disc then it would've been all over the news sites by now because there have definitely already been people who hacked the game and saw all the files therein. There is no DLC on the Wii, it's a crap system and you're just gonna have to deal. Sorry buddy.

No, no, I didn't mean it like that! :lol:

I mean, would it have been possible (or rather, 'was there enough disc space to', since it's obviously 'possible') for SUMO to have put the DLC on the Wii disc and simply hidden away to 'unlock' later, not 'is it already on there'.

I've actually got a question regarding the DLC that was release that shouldn't have been released but got released anyway only for it to be pulled after the release.... do you understand? Neither do I.

How come Ristar doesn't appear in a multiplayer track? Dread, Shadz and myself tested it and he wasn't anywhere in the stage. Is there a reason for this?

Not that I really care too much mind, just wondered if there was a reason for Ristar going for a beer during the multiplayer games... after all we all know that Ristar drinks beer.

Also, whats the deal with the price tag on Ryo-F?

P.S. Any chance of getting one of the Sonic Says to read "Pressing Up, Down, Left, Right, Start on the title screen will not unlock 1970's Trousers Mode"

Ristar probably doesn't Appear in Multiplayer to Save Framerate, the same thing that happens to the crowds and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

SumoRex has posted about the picture you guys are trying to uncover.

Source: Shadzters topic on the Sega boards, 4th page.

Edited by Autosaver

Ahaha! xD I was wondering when another Sumo employee would get on my case. S0L did too, until I explained what was going on. I think this is the biggest hint of all, and if you can't figure it out after I said this... Then some of you have to work on your stalker skills better. xDD And yes, it's still official.

I don't care anymore, I'm tired of playing games in all honesty. I'd rather talk about what we've got than jumping through hoops for something that may or may not be related to the game.

• Thumbs Up 2