Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

So I find myself playing best with Opa Opa and Sonic, <3. Opa Opa is awesome in terms of character, X3. I never knew of his origins before this game, and seeing the way he acts while in race just makes me want to hug it, XD.

It's awesome that people are being introduced to opa-opa as a character. Back when I was a lad and Sonic 2 was fairly new (I must have been 7..possibly 8) I had to go round to a mates house to play Sonic 2 until one day my folks decided to buy it for me when they went out shopping. I spent the whole day nearly sick from excitement and when they got back...Sonic 2 was out of stock but they got me Super Fantasy Zone instead! I was crushed initially...pretty sure I managed to fein excitement but man alive I was gutted. HOWEVER after I started playing I discovered the joy that is Super Fantasy Zone and the plight of Opa-Opa and now I can only see that my dad was un-knowingly wise back then. Loved the game then and still do now. I think that easter I painted an opa-opa egg. That was the shiznit.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is probably derailing, but whatever, XD.

So I find myself playing best with Opa Opa and Sonic, <3. Opa Opa is awesome in terms of character, X3. I never knew of his origins before this game, and seeing the way he acts while in race just makes me want to hug it, XD.

Sucks balls that PS3 owners don't get Metal Sonic for like 2 weeks, D;. I've REALLY been look forward to him, since next to Sonic, he's probably my favorite character.

-Blur

The first time I played as Opa-Opa , I hated him. He was always flipping around and confusing me about what direction I was going. I still thought the character was cool, but couldn'T play as him all too good the first tim. I'Ve gotten used to him now, but I still don't lke flying characters as much as the others...

Media Molecule is selling the Metal Gear Solid Premium Level Kit for $6 and it comes with five levels, a costume, a shitload of new materials to make levels with, and a power-up that expands the gameplay considerably. With offers like that sitting there on the store alongside this, do I really sound like such an ungrateful bastard if I say the price for what I'm getting with this is kind of off-putting?

Yep. Same thing with the Pirates pack. Five brand new levels, the new swimming mechanic, tools to make water in levels, scuba gear, several costumes, and a ton of stickers/materials for $6. So, one track & character plus music for $8? Wut?

I know the whole "OVERPRICED!!!1!" thing has been hammered in enough already. But seriously, it kinda is.

We'll probably get ToeJam & Earl as DLC soon. Since it's obviously going to happen.

Really? Last time I remember S0L said anything about them, he said that they were NEVER really meant to be put in the game at all because they knew TJ&E had some liscense complications (or something like that). It was in this topic too. That pretty much crushed my hopes of seeing them....

Edited by SykoTech

My take is that Ecco, TJ&E, Bayonetta and Vectorman are not "Sega" enough for Sega's approval. Yes yes, they are published by Sega and are synonymous with the Sega brand, but they are essentially games developed outside of Sega and only published by Sega. Perhaps Sega doesn't like to mix their interal IPs with external IPs, even if they own the rights.

I'd take a Space Channel 5 track, a Fantasy Zone track, a NiGHTS track and a Streets of Rage racer over the above IPs.

Yep. Same thing with the Pirates pack. Five brand new levels, the new swimming mechanic, tools to make water in levels, scuba gear, several costumes, and a ton of stickers/materials for $6. So, one track & character plus music for $8? Wut?

I know the whole "OVERPRICED!!!1!" thing has been hammered in enough already. But seriously, it kinda is.

Besides the new game mechanic itself (Paintinator, Water) the majority of the LBP DLC is just retextures of existing assets with a new background, some recycled music (with a remix or two thrown in for good will) and some additional stickers (most of which are recycled artwork from the DLC franchise). Plus there's the fact that LBP is an immemsly popular game so they can afford to charge less for DLC for the sake of making it more accessable to people and ultimately making more $.

Considering all the assets in the SaSASR DLC are built from the grounds up (minus the music) I don't really think it can be criticised for it's price.

Also LBP charges upwards of £1.79 for some of it's costumes, all of which do considerably less than even Ryo-F so saying SEGA's DLC is overpriced compared with LBP is well... wrong frankly.

My take is that Ecco, TJ&E, Bayonetta and Vectorman are not "Sega" enough for Sega's approval. Yes yes, they are published by Sega and are synonymous with the Sega brand, but they are essentially games developed outside of Sega and only published by Sega. Perhaps Sega doesn't like to mix their interal IPs with external IPs, even if they own the rights..

Ah yes! But there is one flaw in your argument:

vncbbr.jpg*

The Puyo Puyo franchise was originally a COMPILE (now Compile Heart) intellectual property before they sold it to SEGA during their bankruptcy phase. However, the series was present in SEGA Superstars and SEGA Superstars Tennis!

*Please note: picture is not of my in-stock.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, however since then Sega (specifically Sonic Team) has developed Puyo Puyo games and have made them a full fledged Sega product.

Meanwhile Ecco, TJ&E, Bayonetta and Vectorman have all been exclusively developed by third party devs. Closest was TJ&EIII which was a collab between TJ&E Productions (a third party) and Visual Concepts (a 1.5 party). There was also the failed Vectorman reboot, but I'm sure Sega wants to distance themselves from that.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that thus far Sega has not included an IP in a Superstar/All-Star game that is a third party developed, Sega published IP.

Sega Superstars series individual IP devs: Sega (early IPs weren't given an internal team distinction), Sonic Team, Hitmaker, Amusement Vision, AM2, Wow Entertainment, UGA, Overworks, SmileBit

These is nothing like Novotrade International/Appaloosa Interactive, Toe Jam & Earl Productions, BlueSky Software or Platinum Games in the above list.

Edited by Doctor Eggman

OXM UK have made the game the star of their latest issues demo disc -

http://ezine.oxm.co.uk/

It's on the first page after the cover, shame the 5 free gamer pics aren't for ASR.

So Puyo Puyo, I'd love to see that little yellow rabbit thingy as a playable character with a Puyo Puyo themed vehicle.

Puyo Puyo, Shinobi, Virtua Cop (Squad), Space Harrier and Skies of Arcadia are on my shortlist of games needing DLC representation.

You talkin 'bout Carbuncle??

carbuncle-yon-thumb.png

Note to self: never EVER EVER google image search this character. Seriously. Unless you want to see disgusting skin infection photos and the inside of somebody's skull. :vomits:

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2

Puyo Puyo, Shinobi, Virtua Cop (Squad), Space Harrier and Skies of Arcadia are on my shortlist of games needing DLC representation.

You talkin 'bout Carbuncle??

carbuncle-yon-thumb.png

Note to self: never EVER EVER google image search this character. Seriously.

Ahhhhh MY EYES HAVE BEEN BURNED OFF by searching that word in google images, that is kinda gross ew XD lol

I'd like to see Shinobi's Joe Musashi as DLC though with more JSRF tracks with the pack=D

Edited by Creature Of The Night

Sega might as well create characters named "gaping puss filled face" and "decomposed corpse". Actually, I think HOTD Overkill had those guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

Varla Guns For DLC =D

180px-Varla_Render.png

Put her in the game for DLC from HOTD Overkill XD

Yeah that's him, I've only played a few of the Puyo Puyo games like one on the Gamecube my wife has so I'm not up on the characters names :lol:

*searches Carbuncle into Google images* Ewwww, you weren't kidding :blink:

As long as SEGA owns the IP, it shouldn't matter who develops it. Bayonetta and Vectorman could easily be included.

It's just like (I keep using this example) Nintendo and Pokemon. Game Freak (a company separate from Nintendo) develops the main games. But since Nintendo owns the franchise, they can use Pokemon characters for games like Smash Bros. Same with Kirby and HAL.

And as for ToeJam & Earl, wasn't it said that the creator wanted them to be in SASASR, and he was in talks to get them in as DLC?

Carbuncle was known as Has-Bean in Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. He also is featured on the cool little figure sitting in front of my Saturn games:

picture1lr.png

Yeah, a Puyo Puyo car would be awesome. Maybe a pickup truck loaded with puyos. lol

I hope that SEGA and SUMO will give us at least 10 more DLC chars...the first is Metal Sonic, so I can assume that there will be some other Sonic representation, so the Sonic chars will arrive at 10 (I wouldn't like to see more than 10)

the best choices for Sonic characters are

Blaze the cat (bike) ALL STARS: Sol emerald power!! Blaze turns Burning Blaze and can destroy opponents with her flaming whirlwind

the 3 Chaotix (Jeep) ALL STARS: Vector plays an instrument loudly and Espio turns the vheicle invisible for some time, while the sound wave confuses a bit all the other players. after the all stars move effect, the vheicle remains invisible for some time and runs a bit faster and it can't be seen on the screen by the other and even on the map, and not be shooted by other weapons

then other 7 DLC:

NiGHTS (flying bike) ALL STAR: He and Reala start to fly and toss opponents.

Gilius (Monster truck kind of flistones- styled) ALL STARS: he rides an animal from Golden Axe and brand the golden axe, and pressing A/X button he can throw thunders around circuits

Bayonetta (bike) ALL STARS: she can transform in phanter and toss opponents

Astal (car) ALL STARS: the bird gives him the power to fly and then Astal could blow and toss opponents

Arle/Amitie and Carbuncle (car) ALL STARS: ...no idea... -_-

Vyse & Aika (flying ship) All Stars: they can blast with a cannon that blows up every character in front of them

Toejam and Earl (spaceship) ALL STARS: ...no idea...

about the racetracks, I'd like to see at least 6 more plus 2 arenas

Crazy Taxi level (San Franciso themed with a beach)

Space Channel 5 level

NiGHTS Level ( Crystal Castle or a level based on the city level where kids can fly)

Golden Axe level (medieval style)

Angel Island from Sonic franchise (mystic and ancient forest in maya-style with a huge waterfall and a view at the Master Emerald shrine)

SEGA themed level a la Sonic Riders

arenas:

Shenmue's Yokozuka Harbour

SEGA themed arena

Honestly? Looking at Opa Opa, NiGHTS might not even need a car. He could just fly across the track, the sparkle streams behind his hands used to show his drifting boost.

Apparently I'm the only one who also likes to see Wonder Boy in this game (from the Monster World series preferably). ^^

His All-Star move could be that he transforms into one of those animals from The Dragon's Trap and do some crazy moves as them (firebreathing all over the place as Lizard Man for an example).

As for NiGHTS flying around, I don't know... Opa-Opa is a sentient spaceship, which means that he is a vehicle. NiGHTS ain't exactly a vehicle (although he could transform into that rocket). :lol:

As for an All-Star Move for Joe Musashi it would be awesome if he could jump on his horse and then throw shuriken at the opponents.

Edited by KillingRaptor

Honestly? Looking at Opa Opa, NiGHTS might not even need a car. He could just fly across the track, the sparkle streams behind his hands used to show his drifting boost.

But that'd just rekindle the whole WHY THE FUCK IS SONIC IN A CAR HE RUNS argument, with the excuse of 'if NiGHTS doesn't use a vehicle why does Sonic?' being used >_>

Also, ToeJam and Earl's ASM would obviously be Icarus Wings or Super Hi-Tops =3

And as for ToeJam & Earl, wasn't it said that the creator wanted them to be in SASASR, and he was in talks to get them in as DLC?

I went back and dug up S0L's big ass post from March 1. Got this out of it.

Hate to destroy this, but TJ+E have never been planned for ASR. If there is any mention in there, it's purely placeholder. We've not done art (2D or 3D), animation, sound or music. we knew from SST that TJ+E had some interesting licensing issues, I'll leave it at that.

---

S0L

---

:(

• Thumbs Up 1

There are some right childish people online on the DS version, just been playing for half an hour and got about 5 races in. First one against someone called Ryan I'm ahead half way into the first lap and the guy disconnects, second game against someone called Alex and again half way into the first lap I'm ahead and he disconnects, third, fourth and fifth races were against someone called Matt as inbetween them I couldn't find anyone else. In the third and fourth races with Matt I get near the end of the first lap ahead and he disconnects both times but in the fifth race after he eventually decides to press A to play with me I finish the 3 lap race in first but I'm stuck at the race end time totals screen for about a minute.

During this time I could only press start which says I can resume race, exit to menu etc... but after that minute I get an error message saying the opponent has quit/disconnected. So just like Mario Kart DS it looks like your opponent can quit at the end of a race before you get your win added to your records <_< First time I've come across this on ASR DS as people normally rage quit/legit disconnect during a race, this time was an obvious rage quitter though.

Rant over :lol:

I wish I had enough money to buy this for 360 and the DLC for Metal Sonic and Death Egg Zone.

That will never happen sorry Mighty and Ray will never appear in a other game in our lifetime but i'm sure that S0L will give a read though but will probs say that they will be not appearing as DLC for Mighty and Ray for ASR