Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

I really enjoyed this one as much as the first one. I'm looking forward to the next one in September.

Spoiler

The spa vacation was fun and also hilarious.

I loved the fact they were playing around with Jou and his struggles between becoming a proper adult and a Chosen, also a bit of confliction between him and his friends. Poor guy, well at least he and Gomamon finally got back in action together. Mimi as well too, so we got some pretty decent character development.

Vikemon and Rosemon were pretty hype tho, albeit a bit rushed in my eyes. At least we finally two more Digimon that can evolve into their Ultimate (Mega) forms.

Ken is back in his Digimon Kaiser look. Looks like they got infected by the virus since their battle with Alphamon. It's too bad they didn't have any lines for Ken.

So, the Chosen DO remember the 02 cast, which still irks me a bit that they've acted worried in the slightest since they haven't hear from them in a long while. Also, was that Imperialdramon even the real one, or just a copied version of it because I wouldn't believe that the group would cheer so casually for destroying it not realizing that it could've actually been Veemon and Wormmon.

Leomon's reaction towards Meiccomon's cutesy plea was both hilarious and adorable.

I'm going to be honest, Meiccomon suddenly going berserk did catch me off guard.

Looks like there seems to be more to Miss Himekawa than we realized, seeing as she makes a suspicious smile, and when she "accidentally" left Meiccomon with Ken.

Oh, and Leomon dies.

This part was fantastic, hands down (bonus points for centering around Mimi and Palmon). It's quite funny how Digimon Adventure has grown alongside its viewers. As a kid, I was always waiting for the big fight of each episode as well as the evolutions, and while I still enjoy that, the character development and interactions are what really stands out to me here. I'm already feeling sad now thinking we'll have to say goodbye to the Digidestined again. How lucky I am Part 3 is only coming out in September. : P

Spoiler

I feel so stupid for not noticing how shady that lady is. Totally missed her mischievous smile and was quite shocked because it makes a lot of sense how she set up everything, not even mentioning how she simply walked out of the group during the worst possible moment in the end. Especially surprised the series pulling of this twist is the same one where you know Leomon is gonna die the second he appears.

Also, there's a plausible theory Imperialdramon and Ken were actually projections created by Hackmon, which lines up with Ken not having a single line and the missing drama (thank god) about Gomamon and Palmon fighting and destroying Imperialdramon.

Looking forward to Tentomon reaching his Ultimate form and Patamon...not reaching it in the next movie!

Gotta be honest. I didn't like this one.

Spoiler

The first part of the episode was one big waste of time, it felt like padding, and it led absolutely nowhere. And then we have my biggest problem with the show. The 02 hate.

Say what you want about 02, yes, it has plotholes, yes, it has problems, but the attitude of the writers is REALLY childish when handling 02. ''Oh 02 is canon, but no one will reference. Those characters existed, but we killed them. Ken's development did happen, but we'll undo it, tho' we did like the Digimon Emperor so we'll keep that. Imperialdramon was a thing, but look, now he's dead, just as the two main digimon of that show are!''

As someone who grew up watching both Adventure and 02, to have the writers pulling these dick moves left and right is really annoying, not only that, this is a celebration of Digimon in general, so instead of just sucking the dick of the original show, how about accept the good and the bad? 

From what the fanbase says, 02 is pretty much like Dragonball GT, only you don't see Toriyama beginning Dragonball Super by killing Pan and Trunks and then showing Bills murdering SSJ4 Goku just to show how much better his characters are.

And speaking of that final fight, you know what? The new digivolving sequences suck. Really, they have no charm like the old ones, heck, the new forms barely have any difference on their transformation sequence when compared to the normal transformations, meanwhile every other Digimon show gave the stronger upgrades a better transformation to just show how awesome they are. Here it's the same background, but hey some details have changed, that's all the effort it needs, right? Who cares about how epic WarGreymon's and Metal Garurumon's transformations were? 

Not only that, but the entire final fight was an afterthought, Joe just shows up, goes ''Hey Gomamon, stop sucking'', Gomamon suddenly can go beyond his final transformation, Mimi just goes ''Hey Patamon do that too!'' and done, they're a new level, we have no time to absorb that information and just like that the fight ends, we don't have a chance to admire their designs, each of them does like two quick attacks, fight's over. 

Like, every single other show gave us breathing room after a new form was revealed, why? So we can see how awesome they look, so we can have time to react and be surprised. Even worse, we've been waiting to see the other 'mons get to WarGreymon and Metal Garurumon's level, so to just rush the fuck of the scene that pretty much shows us what we've been waiting for a decade is a crime. Heck not even the characters seem to care much, they try to have this prophecy thing, I guess to connect to how Agumon and Gabumon needed a prophecy to get to this level, but it felt rushed and random, just ''hey I got an email'' then at the end ''Oh so THAT's what that was, boy I sure was invested on the mystery of said email, so much we never mentioned it again after that scene''.And then Leomon dies, the end.

Also gotta love how that scene where we see everyone's shocked face before revealing what actually happened to Leomon had literally no one even trying to make a shocked face, they looked bored.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

HQ poster of part 3 is up! We finally have a glimpse of our main villain...things are gonna get ugly.

Ce4uqLcVAAAnL6P.jpg large.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh fuck yes, Etemon! And in his regular form, not metal :D I'm glad the seven will finally get into the Digiworld. The second part was uninteressing as I'm already really tired of Tokyo. I didn't expressed my opinion about it here, but I pretty much hated the second part. Basically, only half of the fourth episode had something, and even thought, it was only kinda good. I couldn't care less for Mimi's drama, Sora making dresses, or Joe being a pussy all the time. Terrible pace, definitely felt like filler content. Sigh. The new mega digivolutions are awesome tho, loved Vikimon. Rosemon is also really cool, a little bit of fan service there (those bouncing boobies hehe), but anyway... Looking forward to part 3 neverthless.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

HQ poster of part 3 is up! We finally have a glimpse of our main villain...things are gonna get ugly.

A shame it's just a joke. I woulda watched the poop out of it.

Er, sorry, "sludge."

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

I guess you can say...shit just hit the fan? :P

FUCK, I knew he was fighting against cancer when he came back to sing the new mixes of all the digimon songs, I thought that was a sign he was getting better. Goddammit. Rest in peace Mr. Wada, your songs were a part of my childhood.

Fuck man... :( We keep losing so many great people to cancer, it gets more and more depressing each time it happens... Wada Kouji, he was like one of my favorite Japanese singers, especially singing the openings to Digimon (my personal favorites being Butter-Fly, Target, Biggest Dreamer, and Fire), and now he's gone. I was HOPING he would get better after the surgery, I was HOPING that he finally defeated cancer and lived on with of his life. Now he's gone, so soon... Sorry for getting a little emotional, but hearing this news just got me sad.

kojiwada.jpg

R.I.P. Wada Kouji.

Cancer is always so tough to beat. Very sad that he couldn't overcome, especially at such a young age.

In any event, glad he was able to get one last hurrah with Digimon Adventure Tri. And as always, he rocked it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't believe. I actually thought he was OK now, that the cancer was mostly gone. To think that he came back and recorded Butter-Fly and Seven, and with such quality, is beyond me, he had throat cancer no less.

It's funny (but not in the ha-ha way), but just this week I listened to a lot of Digimon music while working (especially Target and Butter-Fly), for no particular reason, I just felt like listening to them... and 2 days ago, a day after they announced his dead, I noticed a dead butterfly on the street :(

May his soul rest in peace, his music will sure be remembered by all of us.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, the UK peeps will be pleased to know that tri. Part 1's DVD/Blu-ray release has been confirmed for December 19th. No word on if it's dub, sub, or both, but given the release date, the dub should be finished by that point.

Hope we Digi-fans in the US get word on our releases soon, too! I'd especially love to have it on Blu-ray!

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame that both Lara Jill Miller and Doug Erholtz won't be reprising their respective roles as Hikari and Takeru, but I am a bit interested in Tara Sands and Johnny Yong Bosch playing their roles. I wonder if Joshua Seth will actually be able to reprise his role as Taichi...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

ICYM, the season 4 of Digimon Adventure tri. is out, entitled: Loss.

And...

Spoiler

tumblr_m9ec42RrO21qcf9vuo1_500.jpg

It's shit.

It's Sword Art levels of bad. In fact, there's an incredibly unnecessary scene, that comes straight from the likes of SOA.

The Digimon Emperor aka Ken turns out to be Gennai, that good old man from the original Digimon and 02, but now young and... evil? (unless I've missed something, I didn't watched beyond Tamers). But why he took Ken's form? To create discussions and theories on the internet of course! No, it's exactly that, it has nothing to do with plot or anything, he takes the Digimon Emperor's appearance just coz'. What he really wants here, is to avenge the Digimon because he thinks the humans have enslaved them... Okay.

Once our friends returns to the Digital World, they have to "reconnect" with their Digimon again, since the whole placed was rebooted and the little creatures don't remember their humans. Every pair works it out just fine, except Sora and Yokomon/Biyomon, because... she accidentally stepped on her feet/tail/root as soon as they met or something like that. Her Digimon then proceeds to be a bitch the rest of the episodes (that's some quality drama) and finally accepts Sora as her partner because of some meatballs that she cooked. I'm not joking, it's even the reason why Biyomon mega digivolves. Speaking of digivolutions sequences, get ready for 6 minutes straight worth of it. That's one third of the episode time (the intro and ending together adds 3 minutes or so, and each episode has 21 minutes)...

I only watched everything because I like these characters a lot, but I would be lying if I say that I've enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Ah cool a thread for one of my fave series. We got Digimon Survive being a thing...curious how that turns out. I was always more of a Digiboy then a Pokekid.

• Thumbs Up 1