Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

What I don't get is if Digimon die in the real world and never come back, then what happens to evil Digimon like Devimon who die in the Digiworld? If they're reborn, don't they become evil again or is it just a whole new Digimon? =S

Vamdemon was a pretty horrifying villain, but it's even more horrific if you look at some of the Japanese Episodes, such as the one with Pumpmon and Gotsumon in Shibuya. In the dub, he just imprisoned them. In the Japanese version? He killed them.

And Digimon killed in the real world can't be reborn in the Village of Beginnings.

Yeah.

I think that gave the episode an added punch to the gut. cool.png

He trapped them in the dub?

Judging from the character's reactions near the end, I assumed they were dead. Didn't scar me for life, but it was a bit surprising considering I watched Pokemon all the time as well, which is very tame compared to Digimon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did the US airing get additional censorship or something? I specifically remember him killing them in the dub, although I do remember noticing a change. Maybe the initial airing still had them killed, then later ones toned it down. I seem to recall both versions...

Hmm. I vaguely remember that episode and from their reaction, I thought they were done for! Sure they didn't explicitly state they were dead but it was pretty obvious because Mimi was crying (I think it was Mimi, or Sora).

Haha, went through a bunch of totes and found all my old Digimon toys/merch. A couple of Season 2 digivices, a Season 3 digivice and a bunch of Mimi/Lilymon related stuff (told you I was a fan). Best find was the Beelzemon digivolving (into Impmon) figure a friend bought for me years back.

I had a few of the evolving figures. I swear, the Growmon > Megalogrowmon (Growlmon/ Wargrowlmon) one was ridiculous. It was impossible to fit all the pieces back inside him, so I ended up pulling it off at the joint and putting it back when I needed it.

Most of those figures were ridiculously complicated to change from one form to another, I have no idea how they expected kids to be able to do it, or have the patience to. D:

Alrighty last series, one I have no clue on what's it about.

digimonxroswars.jpg

Digimon Xros Wars began it's run on July 6th, 2010 and ended on March 8, 2011.

Im just going to be lazy and copy pasta from Wikipedia, because there is no way I can explain the plot in my own perspective since I never seen it.

Taiki Kudō, a 7th grade boy, heard a mysterious melody and followed it to an alley where a mysterious, legendary Digivice called the Xros Loader appeared in front of him. Accompanied by his friends, Akari Hinomoto and Zenjirō Tsurugi, they were dragged into the Digital World. They soon realized that the Digital World was a place inhabited by living creatures named Digimon and is now slowly being taken over by an evil empire named the Bagra Army. Now, Taiki and his "Xros Heart" team become an important figure to free the world from the Bagra Army, led by their Emperor Bagramon.

When the Digital World was separated into 108 Zones with an element named "Code Crown" placed in each Zone, it invites few parties to collect the Code Crown to claim each Zone, to achieve the goal into uniting and taking over the Digital World. Feeling the strong responsibility to save the world, Taiki forms his own group named Xros Heart, which is considered a strong threat to the Bagra Army, and battles along with some other parties including another human boy, Kiriha Aonuma, and his Blue Flare group. Also a human girl, Nene Amano, with her team Twilight.

Yeah sorry about that, I never seen this show and really have no means to.

Oh whale.

Edited by Soniman

Frickin' loved Digimon as a kid.Season 3 was always my favorite, I gotta watch it again. Also Digimon rumble arena kicked ass.

OH yeah I remember Rumble Arena.....and how ungodly cheap and broken Reapermon was, seriously I hated fighting that fucker in Arcade mode. The game was ok for a Digimon fighter all things considered, although I do think the character roster missed the mark(seriously two Imperialdramons?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Reapermon was a bitch. And don't forget about the two Wargreymons. At least the Imperialdramons had different special moves, but black Wargreymon was EXACTLY the same. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Rumble Arena 2 was a bit better...

Rumble Arena 2 had a much better character roster, and two Digivolutions so it is slightly better. I didn't even know about it till years after I played the first. The first was my primary form of entertainment on boring ass Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm. I vaguely remember that episode and from their reaction, I thought they were done for! Sure they didn't explicitly state they were dead but it was pretty obvious because Mimi was crying (I think it was Mimi, or Sora).

Only Yamato and Takeru appeared in the episode. I guess it's possible that the episode was censored at a later date, though I'm not 100% sure. I was gonna grab the info from Digimon Uncensored, which does side-by-side comparisons, but apparently the site's under maintenance. Boo.

Also, all the dub replacements of sake crack me up. Soda, milkshakes... Healing milkshakes, even! I get that alcohol is kinda taboo in Saturday morning cartoons, but still. Crazy.

Though nothing's as crazy as "Citrimon" in the Savers dub.

That death was blatantly obvious, even my 6 year old mind knew what happened, ya know looking back the original series is pretty fucking dark considering the amount of death.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Myotismon was a great big bag of dicks.

And then Professor Kurata one-upped him years later by emulating the Nazis and trying to commit fucking genocide.

And then Professor Kurata one-upped him years later by emulating the Nazis and trying to commit fucking genocide.

Sweet Jesus, Kurata will forever go down as one of Anime's biggest douchebags. Ironic how it's a human who winds up being the most monstrous character in the franchise, and the Digimon are the sympathetic ones.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Words can't describe how sastified I was when Kurata finally got his ass handed to him in the end. And this gem from the dub just made it even more awesome:

Kurata: Please have pity on me!

Daimon: Pity is all I ever had for you KURATA!!!!! *punch*

Yeah sorry about that, I never seen this show and really have no means to.

Edited by -Mark-

Man, I still don't get the need to Americanize the names. :/ In this day and age, any kid that watches anime that isn't Pokémon or Yu-Gi-Oh is sure to come across Japanese names. I mean, Naruto was pretty popular with kids at one point, and those names are unchanged.

Aw well, I guess we'll see how it goes.

In any case, Kurata was definitely a twisted and threatening villain. Made for a great antagonist in Savers just because of how sick he was. And poor Ikuto, having lost Yukidarumon thanks to his actions.

Because, you know, we can't let little American kids know that countries other than America exist, am I right?

At least that's the attitude 4Kids seemed to take with most anime...

Because, you know, we can't let little American kids know that countries other than America exist, am I right?

At least that's the attitude 4Kids seemed to take with most anime...

Ugh, their Yugioh dub changes piss me off, it'd be one thing if they made the names at least sound like their Japanese equivalent like Dragon Ball Z, but no.

That was one thing the Digimon dubs are usually fairly decent for, actually; the dub names in most cases made sense in terms of being inspired by or derived from the Japanese names. Sure, there's been the odd (literally) exception, but other than that they've at least made logical sense.

• 4 weeks later...

I was introduced to Digimon late into the first season in 2000. Initially, I dismissed it in exchange for Beast Wars (which is damn good itself, but that's another thread) because I thought it looked to kiddy. But during the Dark Master saga, I decided to give it a shot, and I was blown away. Despite its infamous bad jokes, it was incredibly well-done. The characters were fantastically executed, nicely acted, and they each had their own struggles to sort. Once the first season was concluded, I watched the whole thing from start to finish, and I grew to love it even more. It had a lot of great moments, both sad and happy. In the first season, Princess Karaoke is my most favorite episode due to its hilarious exchanges, Mimi's lame excuses, and anime-esque reactions. XD Also, of the eight Digimon/DigiDestined tandoms, my most favorite is easily Tentomon and Izzy. Throughout the season, they had incredible chemistry, and their conversations felt natural.

Currently, I haven't seen Xros Wars, but I did watch the first five seasons (as well as Savers's sub and underrated dub, Data Squad). Although I love Frontier most due to its strong concept, Tamers easily ranks first for best series. Almost every character was given a tremendous amount of depth, from Rika whose initial ambition was to believe that Digimon fight alone to Yamaki (from being an initial enemy to realizing the errors of his ways). And it's easily the one where most of the Digimon characters grew, too. Guilmon, Renamon, Terriermon, Lopmon, Zhuqiaomon (a villain who didn't believe he was evil), Impmon (oh, God, especially Impmon! He was such a great character!). The story was much darker than the others (with Savers being closest), but it does it so well. Great in plot, logical sensibility, characterization, character development, and realism.

And I went back to rewatch episodes 34 to 36 of Tamers. Leomon's murder shocked me to the core, and Jeri's reaction and depression broke my heart. Leomon's last words, "Part of me will always be with you. Remember, you have a lion's heart," was absolutely depressing and one of the best lines in the dub.

Edited by Dark Qiviut