Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

The Digimon season 1 set may be around $50 on Amazon, but how about $35 in Walmart? http://www.walmart.com/ip/21678194

Like I said, it comes with an art booklet and all the episodes from season 1. That's a wonderful price.

Finally, an official DVD! I've been waiting ages for something to pop up other than the (admittedly convincing-looking) bootlegs and for a while I had given up hope. This is fantastic news and I'll happily purchase one of my favorite series for that price. smile.png

Also you guys were discussing figures last page so I figured I'd throw in that I have an Omnimon figure I got from Walmart as a kid. I lost its Transcendent Sword but War Greymon and Metal Garurumon's heads close so it's not too noticeable.

Edited by Mykonos

I wish the official DVD had subs. :X Good subs. As someone who can't really watch it dubbed these days, I'd much rather have a legal release of the Japanese version that didn't have broken English translations like the stuff on crunchyroll. A high quality, subbed release would be an instant-buy because Japanese Adventure is one of my favorites.

Aw well. 8[

I wish the official DVD had subs. :X Good subs. As someone who can't really watch it dubbed these days, I'd much rather have a legal release of the Japanese version that didn't have broken English translations like the stuff on crunchyroll. A high quality, subbed release would be an instant-buy because Japanese Adventure is one of my favorites.

Aw well. 8[

Question: How are they bad? In a image quality sense or in a translation quality?

Why don't you go on BakaBT or Nyaa instead of Crunchyroll? Better quality subs there.

EDIT:Hmm, actually, I got a question. As you may or may not know, Taichi was created and designed for the manga, with the anime then using him. The first Digimon Adventure film, with the giant Greymon, starts production first, as sort of a pilot, but soon enough the show itself starts production, as both film and show release either in the same day or one day after the other, IIRC.

In the Adventure film we see toddler versions of the Adventure show. My question is, anyone know if they were put there with the intention to show up later in the series, or if they just did a shitload of toddlers and then the people from the series went back and chose the designs they preferred? Amongst all the toddlers that get lines there's a couple of twins that don't get used in the show, so I dunno.

Edited by The KKM

Question: How are they bad? In a image quality sense or in a translation quality?

REALLY bad translations. Like I said, there's a lot of broken English. They also try and shoehorn some dub terms in places that make absolutely no sense, like subbing BelialVamdemon's name as "Malomyotismon" even when the Digimon Analyzer shows his Japanese name with English characters. And, honestly, I watch Digimon in Japanese for a faithful translation, not a translation that shows inexperience in the English language and tries to keep some dub terms just for the sake of familiarity.

Tamers was a little better in that regard, but we still get "gems" like...

f5WEf.png

hMCs8.png

shot0007.png

When I can find a fan product with more love put into it than an official one, you can bet I'm going to download the fansubbed release.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then... why don't you? Are you afraid of torrenting or something? I'm confused. Is Crunchyroll somehow legal, and you don't want to pirate?

Crunchyroll is 100% legal, yes. They have Digimon Adventure 02, Digimon Tamers and both series of Xros Wars on there, although annoyingly the former two are region-locked to US only.

EDIT: Mega, are you watching Crunchyroll streaming there, or have you downloaded rips of the episodes from Crunchyroll?

Just wondering since I really want to see the official sub versions (yeah, I know, broken English) but they're region-blocked, and bypassing is a pain in the arse.

Edited by -Mark-

Oh ok, makes more sense then.

In that case all I can say is "laugh with the subtitles". I'm watching Mazinger Z and it helps.

Oh, believe me, I do download fansubs, I just know it's not particularly legal, and I wish they'd make a legal release with more quality so I'd be willing to support it. Like, subbed DVDs without crappy translations and stuff. The fact that the DVD set is dub-only is a major turnoff to me, since I don't really have nostalgic attachment to Adventure's English version.

Though it is cool for those who do.

Edited by Mega

Why don't you go on BakaBT or Nyaa instead of Crunchyroll? Better quality subs there.

EDIT:Hmm, actually, I got a question. As you may or may not know, Taichi was created and designed for the manga, with the anime then using him. The first Digimon Adventure film, with the giant Greymon, starts production first, as sort of a pilot, but soon enough the show itself starts production, as both film and show release either in the same day or one day after the other, IIRC.

In the Adventure film we see toddler versions of the Adventure show. My question is, anyone know if they were put there with the intention to show up later in the series, or if they just did a shitload of toddlers and then the people from the series went back and chose the designs they preferred? Amongst all the toddlers that get lines there's a couple of twins that don't get used in the show, so I dunno.

You know what. That is actually a damn good question. We see Davis and Yoli (sp?) Along with someone else. That person's name has escaped me at the moment. But I kinda think they did that on purpose so they could open up a potential Season 2.

So, managed to find a reliable workaround for the Crunchyroll region blocking. I'm totally gonna watch the hell out of Adventure 02 and Tamers, yo. ohmy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Saban Brands acquires Digimon; Plans to distribute Xros Wars as "Digimon Fusion"

Saban Brands confirmed on Tuesday that it has acquired the Digimon anime franchiseoutside of Asia. Saban noted that it will work with MarVista Entertainment to distribute the series outside of Asia. Toei Animation will handle licensing and distribution of thefranchise in Asia.

Saban "will debut the newest season, Digimon Fusion," to potential broadcasters and distributors at the MIPCOM event in Cannes, France on October 8-11. Digimon Xros Wars premiered in Japan in 2010, and its follow-up Digimon Xros Wars: Toki o Kakeru Shōnen Hunter-tachi premiered last October. Neither of these television series have aired in North America yet, but Crunchyroll streamed the first series and simulcast the second series as it aired in Japan.

Saban Entertainment's Fox Family Worldwide distributed the first Digimon Adventureanime series in North America in 1999, just months after its debut in Japan.

New Video Group is slated to release the complete first season of Digimon Adventure on DVD on October 9. Twentieth Century Fox and Buena Vista Home Entertainment both previously released part of the series on DVD in 2000 and 2002, respectively.

Not really surprised to see them lose the "Xros Wars" title. All loaded words that have typically been trodden around by the localisers.

Buh. I just hope they don't fill the Xros wars dubs with puns and dialogue where there was originally silence, and I REALLY hope they at least make a catchy theme song this time around.

But this is me and my hate for the old dub theme.

Buh. I just hope they don't fill the Xros wars dubs with puns and dialogue where there was originally silence

I wouldn't be surprised if the dubbers insert some dialogue in some of the empty areas where silence is supposed to be. But the puns is much more of a wait-and-see kind of thing. Frontier and Data Squad were much more straightforward dubs and didn't contain the corny puns that were seen in seasons 1, 2, and the first half of season 3.

It's been, what, a decade since Saban's actually done dub work? Given that so much time has passed, I'm curious to see just how faithful/liberal they'll be with their translation.

Xros Wars was actually the first Digimon series I'd followed ever - Adventure through Tamers were too inconsistently on TV, and I'm not sure I'd discovered the Internet at the time, and so by the time Frontier and Savers rolled around, I'd lost interest. I started watching XW out of curiosity and nostalgia - but anyway, my point was that I'll be really interested to see the dub, as it'll be the first time I've been in a position to directly compare the original and the localisation. You wouldn't have thought it was too tough - I think the creators probably had their eye on the English market in the first place, as just about all the new Digimon and their attacks have names that are English words to start with. Not that that will necessarily stop the translators changing them...

Heard elsewhere that Marvista had a bit more information on their website, and they do.

http://www.marvista....=1&id=347&cat=1

"Trailer Coming Soon!" Let's look forward to hearing more about the adventures of Shoutmon, his formidable but quirky Digimon companions, and of course, our hero, Mikey!

Heard elsewhere that Marvista had a bit more information on their website, and they do.

http://www.marvista....=1&id=347&cat=1

"Trailer Coming Soon!" Let's look forward to hearing more about the adventures of Shoutmon, his formidable but quirky Digimon companions, and of course, our hero, Mikey!

Goddamnit, Saban.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mikey... what.

No, seriously, what.

They keep the name Takato. And Takuya. And Kouji. And Koichi... but apparently Taiki is too hard to grasp?

SABAAAAAAAAN.

I'll probably watch it ftlulz, but guh. Unnecessary name changes.

It's regrettable that we have to lose the Japanese names, but not unexpected; XW/Fusion is pretty blatantly aimed at slightly younger kids than previous Digimon series, and it seems to be the convention that the less mature a series, the more localisation is needed. But in retrospect, "Mikey" is actually not that bad. It's only one syllable - heck, only really one letter - away from Taiki, and also I saw it pointed out on another forum that it could be a pun on "mike," as in microphone, linking to Shoutmon's microphone sceptre and the general rather arbitrary sound-based design of a lot of the main Digimon of the series. Makes me curious to see what names they'll come up with for the rest of the characters, given that this particular change seems to have been actually thought out.

• Thumbs Up 1