Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

getting in a huff over minor changes in the dub? :U

I wouldn't call music, atmospheric, and characterization changes minor. :/ Is there really anything wrong with preferring the original Japanese version? Personally, I like it better because it has less gag dialogue, a way better soudntrack in my opinion, and Culumon is absolutely adorable. Plus, Dukemon is voiced by Goku and is totally hotblooded.

Not that the Tamers dub is bad, but the changes are often more major than people think.

I myself while I do like digimon adventure 1 and 2(with two being the weakest of both for me) my favorite as to be tamers one. But I lost contact with series after the 4 one, I really didn't like the concept and the story just wasn't my taste.

Also since I watch this dubbed in portuguese I have to be thankful that they used the original soundtrack unlike some series that used the american one, for me the original is much better. Though they did dubbed the opening and closing themes, which could have been worse.

Edited by redhellc

I never actually got to see more than the first few episodes of Tamers, which is a shame, as by the sound of it it was the series that would've been most up my street, all credit to Chiaki J. Konaka.  Come to think of it, I never saw the last few episodes of 02, either.  The show was not handled very well in my region.

...I think the only series I've seen in full besides the original Digimon Adventure is Xros Wars, which I started watching for nostalgia, and continued watching to laugh at.  Then it got kinda good?  And then Hunters happened, which was what it was... something that I've become far more content with after coming to think of it as a spin-off, which is really what it is, rather than a sequel.

I never actually got to see more than the first few episodes of Tamers, which is a shame, as by the sound of it it was the series that would've been most up my street, all credit to Chiaki J. Konaka.  Come to think of it, I never saw the last few episodes of 02, either.  The show was not handled very well in my region.

Well, you have a chance to watch it now. Go to this channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBOwaiMbIERRbJ5dkI4CyFO0Qs3mi7Dkx

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't worry, I know I could just cheat and watch it online; I dug up all the plot details I could find for it years ago.  It just sort of feels like that ship has sailed.  Thanks for the link, though.  If I'm running out of viewing material anytime, I might well return to it.  See what things are like in action, rather than just in a plot synopsis.

That dumb moment when I ask, Tamers is the 3rd series/season right? With Guilumon and the modifying gimmick. 

That dumb moment when I ask, Tamers is the 3rd series/season right? With Guilumon and the modifying gimmick. 

Yep.

@Masaru,

If you are reading this, did you choose Masaru as your username because you like Savers, or because you like the character?

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Oh...my...

814zXGUjfqL__AA1500__zpsf712c41c.jpg

TAMERS BOX SET! TAMERS BOX SET! TAMERS BOX SET! *Explodes* Words cannot express how happy I am to hear about this. Tamers is my absolute favorite season and for New Video to give it this deluxe treatment mere months after they did the same for the first two seasons is just a dream come true. Major kudos to them. It'll be available on June 11th, so I'll definitely be adding this to my birthday list in the near future. biggrin.png

Edited by Lone CC of the Apocalypse
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hey, wait...

So, does this mean this set actually has Japanese audio for once? Please?

Unlikely. The 02 set also has Japanese crew listed and it's confirmed to be a dub-only thing. Edited by Lone CC of the Apocalypse

...My dreams, shattered.

Seriously, I don't get why these are single language DVDs. I guess it's because of licensing, but it's still a darn shame. :c I wonder if they'd ever consider doing an uncut DVD release after they finish the English sets. I'd pay for it.

To be honest, I think the main think preventing dual-language Digimon is the fact that it was never dubbed uncut. 

Most anime these days is dubbed uncut, then edited down later on for TV airings. Back when the Digimon dubs aired, there was little to no demand for dual-language DVDs with English subtitles; kids' anime was just edited and censored in the dubbing stage, so no uncut dub exists.

As such, it would be pretty much impossible for them to just take the Japanese video and overlay the English audio; meaning the only way they could do such a DVD would be to include both the Japanese and English dub episodes on the discs together as separate files (rather than a single video file with dual audio tracks) like the few uncut DVD volumes of Beyblade that got released.

This obviously doubles the number of episodes per disc, in effect doubling the number of discs required and subsequentially the cost as well. 

Of course, they could just do a sub-only DVD release, which I'd seriously want. Screw the dub. D:

Well since I actually don't really mind the dub...at all, I'm fine with this, though I can see why others may take issue with it.

I love Digimon. I knew it was different than Pokemon, it wasn't supposed to be the same.

The confusion was funny though.

I love the movie as well. That was great. I still have my Digimon Card Plate thing somewhere in a box around in my room. I don't think I have any of the cards though. It was like a map or something. i don't know what it was for anymore. But that was because it was a long time ago. 
I actually got back into Digimon quite recently after finding my copy of the Digimon the Movie original soundtrack and I enjoyed the music of it very much.

The last time I saw the show was Season 2. I really should at least watch the one with Masaru because, he freakin' punches Digimon. That is the best thing. I'm going to be honest, I've fallen way behind with Digimon (unlike Pokemon), for whatever reason. My favorite thing about them, back in the day, was the toys. The V-Pets, the Digivices, you know what I'm talking about.

• 5 months later...

Exciting news! Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02 are now available to stream on Netflix in both English and Japanese. For the JP Digimon enthusiast like me, this is awesome. The one drawback is that the subs are incredibly inconsistent. Some use names like Vamdemon, other episodes use Myotismon and have little mistakes like calling Tailmon/Gatomon a guy. If you don't mind some oddities like that, though, it's pretty rad. I'm glad that they're putting both versions out there, since the DVDs are dub only.

• Thumbs Up 1

So hey I just stumbled across this topic. I've always seemed to like Digimon and Pokemon pretty equally, but I always thought the Digimon games were a bit better due to the fact that they were on a console rather than a handheld. (Besides the ones that came out for the Wonderswan in Japan and the selected few on the GBA as well as the DS...) But my favorite season of Digimon was season 4 aka "Frontier". I thought the concept of becoming Digimon rather than being a tamer was much cooler, I also felt that this was the darkest season out of the four I have watched. (Data Squad didn't interest me at all, and I have yet to see the latest season...) The movie holds a special place in my heart too, brings back many memories when I watch it and listen to the soundtrack. :3 Digimon World 3 is one of my favorite PS1 games. ^_^

I watched the Digimon Movie, but never saw much of one and two. I did once print out an entire plot synopsis of the first season though, and would spend time reading them as a hobby. So I'm somewhat in the know on the lore there.

Where I paid the most attention was seasons 3 and 4. I watched 3 from the beginning, and caught most episodes. It was so interesting seeing how the two worlds connected and how D-Reaper turned out to be humans' creation coming back to haunt them. I also liked how it turned out the Sovereign actually wasn't evil so much as ruthlessly utilitarian.

4 greatly appealed due to me given its theme of actually turning into a Digimon. I've always enjoyed werebeasts, always wishing I too could somehow become a creature and no longer be just a mere human... alas! That is what fiction is for.

Something I always liked across continuities was the theme of redemption. There's at least one bad guy in each who ends up redeeming him or herself and becoming a likeable person near the end. They may even die. It was powerful how Impmon became such a bastard and then felt so horrible for the pain he caused he was willing to give his life to make it up to Jerry (I'm inferring Leomon didn't really die, so much as merged with his code, actually). Or how the bad Digimon of Season 4 actually end up reforming into heroes (albeit via reincarnation)...

Or, perhaps most moving, and one of the few things I saw of the season, how the Digimon Emperor snapped out of his power-hungry trance once his Digimon was killed. He finally remembered the importance of friendship over power with his partner's loss, and it allowed him to escape that descending spiral of greed and violence that we can be so easily susceptible to when given a taste of power.

Moral re-alignment is a pet theme of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've become aware of more information on the upcoming dub of Digimon Xros Wars, and thought I might as well post it here, as I'm sure some of you will be interested, if only to lament the changes typical of a Digimon dub.  Here's the latest trailer:

It's going by the name of Digimon Fusion, Taiki is Mikey, and Xros Heart is now Fusion Fighters.  Shoutmon's voice actor, Ben Diskin, gave an interview the other day of which there is no transcript, but members of the With The Will forums were listening in, so if I may be forgiven for quoting them:

NekoHaruko:

Censorhsip will indeed have to be heavy on mervamon. Digital Paint ahoy!
There is apparently a "fight" about using fight and blade in the show. Ben finds with to be quite silly.
They are going for a tv-y7 rating.
"Digi-daa fun time" WTF? lol "They'll get into hacking!"
I'm sorry if you are missing this. He's hilarious.
Ben is very against a lot of this stuff. and he's making fun a lot of these changes.
Slashangemon to Slushangemon. "This is stupid! THIS MAKES NO SENSE!"
kiriha=christopher
Zenjirou= jeremy
Akari=angie.

Hagaren Gao:

Here's some bullet points I got from the interview today.

* Censorship, they are having trouble getting the word 'Fight' into the script. Sounds like it's being hit heavy. What happens to Fusion Fighters then?
* Star blade is being censored because of 'blade'? Might just be the usual case of dub changing rather than censoring.
* Digimon Data Collection being kept, they recently recorded 'Digi Data Funtime' as an alternate, sounds like it might be kept
* MagnaAngemon's Gate of Destiny > Great Golden Gate
* Ben Diskin is really not happy with these changes, lol. He's happy with the series overall though, these things he mentions are minor complains according to him.
* SlashAngemon > 'SlushAngemon' is the name Toei gave, so dubbers had no choice in the matter
* He's excited to act in ep 50-ish 'because something Shoutmon yells'.
* Zenjiro>Jeremy, Akari>Angie, Kiriha>Christopher
* Dorulumon is still Dorulumon. Anything else the dub does is forgiven now.

Also apparently the scene where Shoutmon tries to convince Taiki to stay in the Digital World by saying the have 'Great food and the hottest babes around!' is changed to something to the extent of 'great food and great parties!'. When Ben asked one of the higher ups why the scene was changed, they said it was to risque. Ben asked 'Well what are you going to do with Mervamon then?' to which he got the response, "Who?" Had a good laugh about that one.

Ben Diskin's Twitter also records that some of the original soundtrack might be kept, Cutemon is still male, generals (as in, of the armies) are still generals, Shoutmon X2 etc. will still be written X2 but pronounced Times Two (and so on), and Nene is still Nene - kinda surprising, as it would have been so easy for her to become a Nina, since they're Americanising everyone else.  I guess it's to retain the sense of mystery about her.  Diskin also adds that "I'm OVERALL very HAPPY with the dub."  Sounds to me like the dubbers are trying their best against some often rather exasperating constraints.

Honestly, this kind of stuff is fascinating to me.  Jeremy and Christopher are actually the names I was anticipating for Zenjirou and Kiriha, so in a sense that's kind of satisfying - the western names are clearly trying to echo the sound of the originals, and obviously have to stick to the same number of syllables... although that doesn't seem to fit with Angie, oddly.  Since Nene is being kept, I wonder if Yuu will stick?  SlushAngemon, though - wow, that has to be either a typo, or passed down without actually consulting anyone who speaks English as their first language.  Hilariously appropriate for a watered-down dub, though.

• 1 year later...

I assume the Digimon Tri topic was killed off in the wipe since I can't find it so il just post this here.

Im crying now

• Thumbs Up 3

CEU9aUCUkAEefMW.jpg

It's a six part OVA of sorts. It begins on November.

Voice cast.

Natsuki Hanae as Taichi Yagami

Yoshimasa Hosoya as Yamato Ishida

Suzuko Mimori as Sora Takenouchi

Mutsumi Tamura as Kōshirō Izumi

Hitomi Yoshida as Mimi Tachikawa

Junya Ikeda as Jō Kido

Junya Enoki as Takeru Takaishi

MAO as Hikari Yagami

I'm going to go scream with excitement now.

Ah, the ol' "Spend over half a year pretending it's a TV series airing in April when it's actually a six-part movie series starting in November so good luck ever seeing it in the west (oh and by the way, we retconned '02)."  A classic.

Ve4nfJM.jpg