Awoo.

The Ghost Topic.

The drunkard from space!

Forgive me if there's a topic like this. If there is will a mod merge it please? ^^; Thank you

Anywho,

In traditional belief and fiction, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. Descriptions of the apparition of ghosts vary widely from an invisible presence to translucent or barely visible wispy shapes, to realistic, life-like visions. The deliberate attempt to contact the spirit of a deceased person is known as necromancy, or in spiritism as a séance.

The belief in manifestations of the spirits of the dead is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practices—funeral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magic—are specifically designed to appease the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary essences that haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life, though stories of phantom armies, ghost trains, phantom ships, and even ghost animals have also been recounted.[2][3]

So, what are your thoughts on ghosts? Do you believe in them? Do you not believe in them? If you do, have any interesting ghost experiences to share?

Discuss

I believe in them from personal experience. They're one of those things that can never be claimed, nor disclaimed as proof/bullshit. I don't want to believe in them, as rational as Iike to think I am, I simply can't help it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe in them from personal experience. They're one of those things that can never be claimed, nor disclaimed as proof/bullshit. I don't want to believe in them, as rational as Iike to think I am, I simply can't help it.

Care to share the story? :D

Once while playing board games with family I remember looking at outside the window and seeing a pale young woman looking at me. Then I remember waking up a day later (it was night again) and my family told me that I just went white and did not respond for a whole day. Though after that I became interesting in the paranormal and have seen stuff here and there throughout my life.

P.S. I was about to make this thread

I can't say I've ever had a supernatural experience, but here's an interesting tidbit about what I believed growing up.

Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, we've always had an interesting belief... We were told that Ghosts were not actually souls of the departed but actually demons taking the shape of the dead and troll the living by doing ghostly stuff to scare the crap out of them. Therefore it was against the religion to watch, look at or do anything ghost related... Heck if I were still religious, I wouldn't even be allowed to look at this topic.

Not sure what other people think of that though... I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this, cause it's pretty different from what others are used to hearing.

I'm not really much into ghosts as I am to Cryptozoology and UFOs and such. Kinda hard to say if I believe in them or not... The religion I was raised in says not to believe in them, but looking back it seems we kinda did, and we just wouldn't admit it.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

I to have had a personal experience with spirits. They're just to personal to share though. Although I'm "sort of" convinced that they exist.

Edited by Sora

I love ghost stories, but I don't think they're real. I don't think anything supernatural real. I think there might be some entirely natural phenomena we've yet to document, but I don't think they're ghosts.

Eye witness accounts don't count for much, because if that was enough we could also prove the existence of elves, witches, demons, aliens, yeti, the Loch Ness monster, and honest politicians.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to have these weird fits of what I can only describe as some kind of time dilation where everything would slow down for a brief period and I couldn't do anything. I also heard a rumbling sound during these fits. It happened predictably in a single room of our old apartment when my mom would instruct me to fetch something from her. To this day I don't know what those fits really were. Some weird psychosis maybe? Or perhaps Toby was playing with me.

But to answer the question, I don't actively believe in ghosts, but I am a little interested in the common phenomena surrounding them. If I weren't such a punk, I'd like to go experience this stuff myself. But alas.

@ Hypermetal: I dunno, High Five Ghost and his brother seem cool.

Edited by Nepenthe

Care to share the story? biggrin.png

Yeah sure :D

It's nothing much though :P Basically the house I live in is old and thick, like you can't hear anyone next door ever making any kind of noise. About 5 years ago, I was downstairs watching Batman (remember vividly), and I kept hearing these muffled noises. I wet one, I was like 12 at the time and I proper shat myself but I wanted to see if Batman would stop Jack Nicholson's Joker (Spoiler: He did), the voices just got louder and louder until I could distinctly hear people talking about random shit. I did panic, but I figured it's not necessarily ghosts, maybe it's just people talking on a tv upstairs or something. I ran to bed, noticing there were no Tv's on. I eventually went to bed. Next night, same situation, downstairs alone, and I start hearing these voices again, at one point mentioning my name. That was the point I proper flipped shit and ran away upstairs, faster than fucking Sonic, man. Again I got to sleep. The next night I stayed upstairs, shit scared. and lord behold I heard people talking again, the same damn voices. One boy, two girls. Again generally saying words which made no real sense in a sentence, and only bits that I could decipher, this time coming from a completely different bit of my house, but quiet enough they couldn't be coming from downstairs this time.

Not a major ghosty tail or anything, not definite ghosts, but it was never explained, and I couldn't sleep for months after, and from that I developed a bit of sleeping difficulty which continues today (I type this at 5:42 and I've not slept yet xD)

Oh my mother and auntie both claim to have seen ghosts, on the same night, in the same hotel on opposite ends of it. Once my Ma gets back off her holiday I'll see if I can get her to write up her experience, she told it to me once, scary shit that was.

Never really been the person to believe in them. I know it's kinda dickish, but I have a habit of lightly teasing others with light fears of ghosts/aliens/supernatural/etc. It's funny when you go camping and run into the dark woods, or into a dark building or something when going looking for a "scare" at night with some pals.

If they were real though, I guess according to most movies, I'd be the first one killed off lawl.

• Thumbs Up 3

Never really been the person to believe in them. I know it's kinda dickish, but I have a habit of lightly teasing others with light fears of ghosts/aliens/supernatural/etc. It's funny when you go camping and run into the dark woods, or into a dark building or something when going looking for a "scare" at night with some pals.

If they were real though, I guess according to most movies, I'd be the first one killed off lawl.

There are times when I come across paranormal things on TV shows like Ghost Hunters or Paranormal State which I can't explain; inexplicable heat signatures on walls, an object moving seemingly by itself while the camera is turned for two seconds (assuming no clever editing was involved, which it might've been), a bed's duvet cover being tugged at by nothing etc. However, despite those occasional confounding occurrences, I just can't find myself being able to believe in ghosts or the paranormal in general. Just because science can't yet explain everything to do with them, that doesn't mean it'll never be able to explain them, it only means that it isn't there yet. We already know that certain things can cause our minds to perceive paranormal activity; strong electro-magnetic fields, carbon monoxide, mental illnesses, the willingness to pass natural occurrences off as supernatural ones without questioning them and so on. It could be there are other mental stimuli like those in the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are times when I come across paranormal things on TV shows like Ghost Hunters or Paranormal State which I can't explain; inexplicable heat signatures on walls, an object moving seemingly by itself while the camera is turned for two seconds (assuming no clever editing was involved, which it might've been), a bed's duvet cover being tugged at by nothing etc. However, despite those occasional confounding occurrences, I just can't find myself being able to believe in ghosts or the paranormal in general. Just because science can't yet explain everything to do with them, that doesn't mean it'll never be able to explain them, it only means that it isn't there yet. We already know that certain things can cause our minds to perceive paranormal activity; strong Electro-Magnetic Fields, carbon monoxide and so on. It could be there are other mental stimuli like those in the world.

Edited by Sora

What about instances in which someone say is pushed clear across a room? From like a bed or something? or something physical like that? Would there be explanations like that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really, XD. Maybe when I was younger, but a long time ago I convinced myself that "just because it's dark and you just saw a movie/show/book/etc with so-said monster/ghost/whatever, doesn't mean it's automatically here to kill you now." I don't mean this as a "I'm so cool I can't but scurred hur," it's just I'm baffled at how much people let themselves get worked up over such things. If you look at things logically and not let your mind get the better of you, it's nothing at all.

My old childhood house was haunted by an old man who hung himself in our garage. Pretty creepy right? Well the weird parts were the random foot prints on our ceilings and i've also caught glimpses of an old man in our backyard late at nite.

There are explanations for everything, even that. Temporary loss of motor control? Elaborate staged hoaxes? I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but I'm sure we'll find out one day.

It's not sodding ghosts though.

Edited by Sora

My old childhood house was haunted by an old man who hung himself in our garage. Pretty creepy right? Well the weird parts were the random foot prints on our ceilings and i've also caught glimpses of an old man in our backyard late at nite.

That's I guess Were we disagree. If we can find reasons for why they happen, sure I'll buy it. But in instances were I've seen people scarred from this kind of stuff, I can't just say think that they were faking it. And I guess I personally believe that It could be the supernatural. There's always the chance that science might not be able to explain certain supernatural like things.

As I said, just because we can't identify the sources of some paranormal phenomena, that doesn't mean we'll never be able to. If we can today detect signs of a Higgs Boson-like particle, measure waves of gravity generated by other planets and stars, create artificial jellyfishes from hearts, or create our own anti-matter (however briefly), then I am confident that one day we will be able to identify the causes of presently inexplicable supernatural happenings. It could take decades or centuries to do it, and not everyone will be convinced when it happens (these experiences tend to be highly subjective, you see), but one day we will come upon the answers.

Edited by Ride The Walrus
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I said, just because we can't identify the sources of some paranormal phenomena, that doesn't mean we'll never be able to. If we can today detect signs of a Higgs Boson-like particle, measure waves of gravity generated by other planets and stars, create artificial jellyfishes from hearts, or create our own anti-matter (however briefly), then I am confident that one day we will be able to identify the causes of presently inexplicable supernatural happenings. It could take decades or centuries to do it, and not everyone will be convinced when it happens (these experiences tend to be highly subjective, you see), but one day we will come upon the answers.

Edited by Sora

Let me throw this out there. Science and its body of knowledge is not exclusively anti-"paranormal".

Do not think that all scientific progress made in figuring out what goes bump in the night will always lead to those classic Scooby-Doo endings.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to have these weird fits of what I can only describe as some kind of time dilation where everything would slow down for a brief period and I couldn't do anything. I also heard a rumbling sound during these fits. It happened predictably in a single room of our old apartment when my mom would instruct me to fetch something from her. To this day I don't know what those fits really were. Some weird psychosis maybe? Or perhaps Toby was playing with me.