Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

I like Dreamworks movies, not as much as Pixar, but some of them are still good. My favorites are probably Shrek 2, Kung Fu Panda and Megamind. I also like Over the Hedge and the other Shrek films, but not as much as those three, they are my favorite of the Dreamworks movies. I also like Galaxy Quest too...which is pretty much a parody of Star Trek, but it's still hilarious and a great movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Dreamworks, but Pixar is still better overall. My favorite movies from Dreamworks were Antz, Over the Hedge, Chicken run, and the first Shrek movie.

Pixar just has more heart in their game then Dreamworks does IMO. Although I do prefer Antz over Bugs life.

Edited by Hank Hill

Prince of Egypt is their only masterpiece. After that they took a huge nose dive with unfunny movies devoid of substance. Spirit was a very good movie but that was it. After that How to Train Your Dragon came out and surprised everyone. Not as good as Prince of Egypt but still awesome even though it was made by 2 former filmakers from Disney so the story people at Dreamworks probably had nothing to do with it. Kung Panda 2 however was fantastic. Much better than the first one in my opinion. Puss in Boots also surprised me. I don't like any of the Shrek movies but Puss was awesome.

That's my take on the matter.

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like Dreamworks, but Pixar is still better overall. My favorite movies from Dreamworks were Antz, Over the Hedge, Chicken run, and the first Shrek movie.

Pixar just has more heart in their game then Dreamworks does IMO. Although I do prefer Antz over Bugs life.

I do consider Pixar superior on a detail-oriented and storytelling front, but I don't particularly think DreamWorks lacks heart. I'd be willing to stack Kung Fu Panda 2 on par with some of their work on both an artistic and emotional level. The color and effects work are not only gorgeous (Shen's fight scene with the Masters is an example; look at those red shadows on the white brick, and the color pallete transitions to these extremes very well to boot. Stuff like this happens all the time through the film), but serves to set up recurring character and thematic associations in a way that is very subtle and Pixar-like in nature.

As for the emotional aspect of the film:

The entire flashback scene with Po's mom is excellent. Of course, the 2D work is always excellent, but I love the way the two mediums transition to one another during this bit, as well as the fact that the mediums themselves also have thematic significance: the fantastical versus the reality (notice that when Po finally remembers everything, it turns to 3D). But more plainly, the character animators blew the scene out of the water, and her sacrifice just broke my heart. I did cry in the theater and I get misty-eyed just talking about it like this.

And one more shout-out to this film on a front most people don't seem to talk.

There ya go, seven minutes of condensed Heaven from God-tier composer Hans Zimmer.

Basically, Kung Fu Panda 2 made me a believer in this company. Grinds my gears particularly when it's dismissed as little more than a retread of the first, but what are you gonna do? xP

• Thumbs Up 6

I was just gonna make a DreamWorks topic until I saw this. xD

But yeah, my thoughts on DreamWorks' movies... meh. I grew up seeing some of DreamWorks' movies along with PIXAR, but I have always, and always will prefer PIXAR over to DreamWorks. I do like some of their films, such as Shreak 1 & 2, How To Train a Dragon, the Madagascar series, but I find the more creative and magical spirit of PIXAR to be better. Honestly, my problem with DW is that they tend to milk their franchises too much, and when it seems like the movie series had good enough of an ending, they go on and make a new film after another, and then a TV show. It just feels like sometimes they're trying to desperately get more money.

How to Train Your Dragon is fantastic; I don't see people mention it nearly as much as Dreamwork's other works, for whatever reason. I'd easily rank it higher than most of Pixar's best films.

• Thumbs Up 7

YESYESYESYESYES

Dreamworks as a whole has been pretty hit or miss with me (although admittedly, I really do need to get around to watching How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda 2), as I do quite enjoy Kung Fu Panda and the first two Shrek movies, but really hate Megamind and Madagascar 2.

I agree with pppp in that Prince of Egypt is the only movie of theirs that I would actually call a masterpiece. It's one of my favorite films in general and my favorite Dreamworks movie by far.

Edited by Desudash Demonhoof
  • Thumbs Up 6

HTTYD is a amazing movie! Next to Kung fu panda 2, it's one of my favorite dreamworks movies. Prince of Egypt though....I have to say that thing blows those two out of the water.

I think Dreamworks is a good studio. They've had their ups and downs over the years (their worst outings being Shark Tale, Shrek 3, and Monsters Vs Aliens) but they've been churning out some really good movies. My favorites would have to be order:

1. Prince of Egpyt

2. Chicken Run

3. Kung Fu Panda 2

4. How To Train Your Dragon

5. Shrek 2

6. Shrek

7. Madagascar 3

8. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit

I'm really looking forward to that HTTYD sequel and the Legend of the Guardians. But I'm hesitant about Six Kung Fu Pandas, a trilogy should be enough.

With all the talk of these other Dreamworks films, I see the lack of mention to The Road to El'Dorado. Maybe it's just me but I find that film is very underrated at times, the animation was pretty smooth and the songs they had were good at times. With a slight confession I have is that I may be that one who slightly prefers Dreamworks over Pixiar, it's just some of Dreamworks movies stick with me better. (But I will admit Dreamworks is either a hit or miss) The recent movies Dreamworks is working on have gotten me very hyped; mostly Rise of the Guardians, while the recently confirmed movie Me and My Shadow has gotten me very hyped since it will be a hybrid of CG and 2D animation, that concept alone has gotten me excited.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would have liked Shrek 2 more if it weren't for Shrek turning human for half of the movie... Am I the only one who was annoyed that?

But anyways, I used to hate Dreamworks' movies after Madagascar (GOD, I hated that movie, I still can't see the appeal in it.) and it wasn't until movies like Kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon came out that restored my faith in the studio and I'm really looking forward to Rise of the Guardians... It's an Idea that has potential to be something awesome.

But I've enjoyed Dreamwork's 2d animations in the past, like Prince of Egypt and Road to El'Dorado... Can't say I've ever seen Spirit or Sinbad though.

Madagascar was an OK movie. I didn't like the second one at all, and I'm probably not going to see the 3rd movie for a while. That Christmas Penguins Madagascar spin off they did was surprisingly really well made. If I put my Madagascar DVD in my DVD player, i'm probably just going to watch the Christmas Penguins Bonus movie.

I remember I actually played the game before I watched the movie. I don't remember how I got the game, but I remember it being surprisingly fun for a movie game. It was a platformer that for the most part, followed the role of the movie, but with a few twists here and there. It showed a bunch of interesting locations, characters, and plot details that weren't in the movie. I had more enjoyment playing the game then I did watching the movie.

If you watched Madagascar from start to finish, then you should be aware about the Fossa. In the game, there was a Fossa king.

This guy was a badass. He was like the pure evil/savage/alternate universe version of Alex. But he wasn't in the movie at any point. That's a shame.

Edited by Hank Hill

How to Train Your Dragon came completely out of left field. The advertisements really didn't do the movie justice at all, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good, fantastic even, the movie was when my friends goaded me into seeing it with them. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever.

Prince of Egypt... I'm just going to echo the "masterpiece" sentiment. Definitely their best work for sure and it deserves nothing but praise.

How to Train Your Dragon is fantastic; I don't see people mention it nearly as much as Dreamwork's other works, for whatever reason. I'd easily rank it higher than most of Pixar's best films.

You sure?

As far as I know, that is one of the only films that people talk about when Dreamworks and Quality are in the same sentence.

:P

I think Dreamworks Animation has some pretty good films, but I'll agree that up until 2010 they were hit-and miss with some films. I think they have consistently gotten better in quality with their films after the Shrek series was put to rest before it could suffer franchise rot any further (I haven't seen PIB though, but I've heard it's pretty good. I'd like to see it someday.)

I do wish Dreamworks Animation could go back to traditional animation, you don't see many people talk about The Prince of Egypt or their other animated films much. Such a shame Sinbad bombed at the box office as it did, I mean it didn't have a chance against Finding Nemo, Terminator 3, Hulk, etc. And as shown in their KFP films, their 2D animation is quite fantastic. There is some hope though-2D animation does play a part in their upcoming project Me and My Shadow.

Oh and here's some interesting recent news: Two days ago, Dreamworks Animation just recently won a $155 million bid to aquire Classic Media (which will be renamed to Dreamworks Classics). That company is known for owning properties such as Casper, Lassie, Felix the Cat, etc. as well as the properties/libraries of several companies, such as Rankin-Bass (at least most of their pre-1974 library), Filmation, Jay Ward Productions, etc.

Edited by Zinos

Me and My Shadow has gotten me very hyped since it will be a hybrid of CG and 2D animation, that concept alone has gotten me excited.

Lemme get on that hype train with you, I've always wanted to see someone attempt something like this. What're we talking here, 2D characters in a CG world, or something else?

Edited by Inferno

Dreamworks always had good movies, but for some reason they're never as hyped up as Pixar, I mean it's not like their movies are bad. I wonder why?

While Dreamworks hasn't quite had the same impact on cinema as Pixar, I enjoy their movies equally on average (at least if you count the 2D ones.) While there are some pretty mediocre and bad ones (Shark Tale, Bee Movie, Madagascar), there are even more awesome ones (Shrek 2, Chicken Run, How to Train your Dragon.) I actually just watched Madagascar 3 over the weekend, and while I was pretty reluctant after DADADADADADA CIRCUS AFRO, I was actually blown away by how good it was. Great story, awesome production value, enjoyable new characters, and fucking AMAZING animation.

Me and My Shadow's hybrid animation isn't all that unprecedented. Most 2D films since the late 80s have had that kind of hybrid animation in some way. DW's Spirit is also in this vain, but they were hyping it as something called "tradigital" wherein even characters would switch between 2D drawings and 3D models seamlessly (all it did was basically make animating running horses during 360 degree shots remotely feasible). I think the most interesting thing about Shadow is whether or not its blend will be unprecedented stylistically. Looking at the poster, I'm assuming the shadow will be 2D in a mostly 3D world, so I'm looking forward to it on that front.

Dreamworks always had good movies, but for some reason they're never as hyped up as Pixar, I mean it's not like their movies are bad. I wonder why?

Most of DreamWorks output isn't just outright godawful, but at the same time, they have yet to approach Pixar's absolute best. Subsequently, there are different standards between the two companies that allows otherwise fine animated features to either sink or soar depending on who made it. It's what I feel happened to How to Train Your Dragon and Brave respectively (don't get me wrong; Dragon's really good, but I feel there's some artistic and story hitches that make it distinctly DreamWorks caliber, things that Pixar probably would've ironed out or done better if given the same film.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I mean like you said I never thought of Dreamworks as outright awful, but I always felt they lacked a certain magic that Pixar had.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Me and My Shadow, I heard the protagonist was going to be a boy in the film. The person in the poster looks more like a male teenager/young man rather than a boy. Also the shadow's artstyle reminds me a bit of the 2D animated entities of night and day from Pixar's Night and Day.

Edited by Zinos

Me and My Shadow's hybrid animation isn't all that unprecedented. Most 2D films since the late 80s have had that kind of hybrid animation in some way. DW's Spirit is also in this vain, but they were hyping it as something called "tradigital" wherein even characters would switch between 2D drawings and 3D models seamlessly (all it did was basically make animating running horses during 360 degree shots remotely feasible).

I'm aware of this, but I meant someone doing it in a "in-your-face" clearly stylistic way, not trying to mask it as one side or the other. Something similar to The amazing world of Gumball, but with a higher budget. For example, Imagine a fully CG field of grass, with a 2D character prancing through it, drawn and shaded as if they belong in the scene. There was a recent Mello-Yello commercial that did something similar to what I'm talking about with characters on a lake, but I can't find it right now.

*see's poster*

I like it. I can see the potential.

Edited by Inferno

I prefer Dreamworks over Pixar.

My top 5 favorite Dreamworks movies.

1. The Prince of Egypt

2. Madagascar 3

3. Shrek 2

4. Shrek

5. Antz

Edited by Applejack1973