Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

22 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I still think that's a stupid, stupid idea. I haven't gotten to see KFP3 yet, but what the fuck more could they do with the concept? I love the series, and I don't want to see it go the Shrek route. I can only hope their plans for that change at some point.

Well unlike shrek they had some kind of plan for it before this series even started, but meh. Half way there and still going strong in the eyes of most, so I'm actually really curious too see what happens next. 

2 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

Well unlike shrek they had some kind of plan for it before this series even started, but meh. Half way there and still going strong in the eyes of most, so I'm actually really curious too see what happens next. 

Even if they "have a plan," there's this little thing called "quitting while you're ahead," something I think they ought to do. Toy Story 1-3 are great movies, but is anyone really looking forward to TS4? I just don't want DreamWorks (or Pixar) to push it when they've got a perfectly great trilogy.

I'm not really keen on this. With KFP3, you can already tell they don't really have anymore ideas(We have a plan, yeah right), It was mostly rehash of the themes of the second movie(Why does Po need to find out who he is again? Didn't we have the second movie for that? Not to mention I was always against Po's real father still being alive, that undermines the moral at the ending of the second movie.). That and Po's friends didn't do anything noteworthy, you can tell the writers didn't know what to do with them. And yeah Kai is a mediocre villain, his backstory isn't all that developed which makes him a huge step down from the second movie's villain.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, it had good jokes and some really good heartfelt moments, but yeah the formulaic nature of the stories is starting to get really evident. Unless they severely shake up the series formula(Which I doubt), KFP4 through 6 will probably be just the same thing: Villain wants to kill things cause revenge and Po has to learn a valuable lesson to be able to defeat him.

Also I thought Dreamworks was gonna stop making movies for all ages anyway, Is KFP an exception?

If so, please tell me How To Train Your Dragon 3 is still a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pppp said:

If so, please tell me How To Train Your Dragon 3 is still a thing.

Don't worry Pedro, HTTYD3 is coming out in 2018. It was moved back a year due to all the rescheduling of the movie line up after PDI studios closed down.

Anyway, I agree! The reason I don't want to see more sequels for KFP is because the third one ended on a perfect note; Po is reunited with his biological father and kin and now everyone in China

can do Chi. Most importantly, Po is a master training the Furious Five and even Shifu.

. So what else can Po learn? How much further can they take this story? Unless we get a spin off film about one of the Furious Five, there really isn't anything else they can do lest they make the movies repetitive story-wise. Please DreamWorks, no more sequels. D=   

• Thumbs Up 1

It really seems like they want KFP to be the next Shrek in terms of making sequels and milking the franchise overall. Not that it's something I personally want either, but just throwing it out there.

Regarding Kai though. Yeah, his design and concept were the only cool things about him. His backstory and motive could've used better handling. He basically gave Oougway some much-needed significance outside his role in the first movie with them being long-time brothers in arms and him wanting to save his good friend. But his sudden interest and greed for using chi for powerful means did feel, well, sudden, and it was basically reiterating both Tai Lung and Shen's whole "I was wronged and must make it right!" even though what they feel is "right" is purely out of selfishness. It would've been more interesting if both him and Oougway took opposing but both-kind-true views on chi and what defines kung-fu as a practice. Oougway considers it a means to achieve inner peace and conquer strife (KFP2 reference here) while Kai sees it as means to become stronger and conquer those who are weaker. Except Kai's stance would be the one taken to an extreme degree by actually having his whole chi-stealing sthick to make himself stronger after Oougway defeated him long ago. "The more you take, the less you have."  

• 1 month later...

Talks had risen a few days ago that Comcast was interested in buying out DWA, which have now been realized today. Comcast's NBCUniversal has acquired the animation studio to the tune of $3.8 billion dollars.

DWA shareholders will be paid $41 in case per share for each of their stock in the company. The deal is expected to close by this year's end.

Co-founder Jeffery Katzenberg is no longer headlining the studio, he is now instead chairman of DWA's newly formed DreamWorks New Media division (which oversees company operations of its Nova brand and the AwesomenessTV internet venture) and will still serve as a consultant to NBCUniversal.

The deal also makes DreamWorks Animation a sister animation company to Universal's Illumination Entertainment (Despicable Me and Minions). Illumination's founder and CEO Chris Meledandri will be taking Katzenberg's place, and will thus be overseeing operations for both DWA and Illumination.

It is worth noting that in addition to acquiring the current film IP of DWA's films, NBCUniversal also has DreamWorks Classics (formerly Classic Media), which contains a fair amount of material:

- UPA
- Harvey Entertainment
- Golden Books/Gold Key Comics (which includes pre-1979 Broadway Video)
- Rankin-Bass (through Broadway Video)
- Big Idea Entertainment
- Entertainment Rights, which includes Filmation, Woodland Animations, and Tell-Tale Productions

DWC also have the licensing rights to Jay Ward Productions, Tribune Media Services, Voltron, Theodore Tugboat, and several Godzilla films; as well as the character brands to Felix the Cat, Noddy, Olivia, and Where's Waldo. And Netflix in particular has a deal with DWA that gives them premium TV rights to DWA's films, who in turn produces a fair amount of animated programming for the streaming service (through their TV division).

That contains access to the likes of Mr. Magoo, R-B's Christmas stop-motion specials (Rudolph, Frosty, etc.), VeggieTales, Casper the Friendly Ghost, He-Man and the Master of the Universe, Postman Pat, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dick Tracy, and others.

What I'm curious about is how this deal affects the management of the studio. Katzenberg no longer in control of DWA operations comes across as a good thing to me. Hopefully his departure may result in a halt to their implied direction of having their films pandering to kids ("lol Penguins, Guardians, Turbo underperformed because they were geared too much towards adults").

In addition, it's worth noting Fox holds current distribution of their films (existing films and upcoming films), thanks to a five-year deal made in 2012. Will Universal pull a Disney and re-acquire the film rights, or let the current deal lapse (said deal presumably ends in 2017)?

I wouldn't worry too much about KFP having six films. Just remember that originally, Shrek was to have 6 films, and only made it to four due to fans outright telling them they were going too far with the series, and no one cared anymore, which is why it ended up only getting 4 films (Not counting Puss In Boots)

On 4/28/2016 at 6:50 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wouldn't worry too much about KFP having six films. Just remember that originally, Shrek was to have 6 films, and only made it to four due to fans outright telling them they were going too far with the series, and no one cared anymore, which is why it ended up only getting 4 films (Not counting Puss In Boots)

Shrek was planned to have five films, actually. And they supposedly only whittled it down from five down to four because of Shrek the Third getting mediocre reviews (though in terms of box-office gross, it was the second highest moneymaker of the series, only behind Shrek 2).

It's worth noting that the fifth film was intended to be a prequel to the first (showing how Shrek got to the swamp) before the fourth Shrek film was even made, so one could argue that DWA kinda shot themselves in the foot when they marketed Shrek Forever After as "The Final Chapter" for the series (especially since that regardless of how Forever After performed, they only had one more movie to commit to anyway).

With that said, Katzenberg hinted a couple of years ago that a fifth Shrek film was still on the table, though with Katzenberg no longer in control of DWA following the Comcast acquisition, it's chances of actually happening seem even more unlikely.

Well considering how Comcast likes to milk it's franchises for all it's worth 

*Fast and Furious 

*Despicable Me

*Jurassic Park(especially since World made over a Billion $

I wouldn't be surprised if they do want to milk the ever living hell out of Shrek.

On 28/04/2016 at 5:55 PM, Gabe said:

Talks had risen a few days ago that Comcast was interested in buying out DWA, which have now been realized today. Comcast's NBCUniversal has acquired the animation studio to the tune of $3.8 billion dollars.

DWA shareholders will be paid $41 in case per share for each of their stock in the company. The deal is expected to close by this year's end.

Co-founder Jeffery Katzenberg is no longer headlining the studio, he is now instead chairman of DWA's newly formed DreamWorks New Media division (which oversees company operations of its Nova brand and the AwesomenessTV internet venture) and will still serve as a consultant to NBCUniversal.

The deal also makes DreamWorks Animation a sister animation company to Universal's Illumination Entertainment (Despicable Me and Minions). Illumination's founder and CEO Chris Meledandri will be taking Katzenberg's place, and will thus be overseeing operations for both DWA and Illumination.

It is worth noting that in addition to acquiring the current film IP of DWA's films, NBCUniversal also has DreamWorks Classics (formerly Classic Media), which contains a fair amount of material:

- UPA
- Harvey Entertainment
- Golden Books/Gold Key Comics (which includes pre-1979 Broadway Video)
- Rankin-Bass (through Broadway Video)
- Big Idea Entertainment
- Entertainment Rights, which includes Filmation, Woodland Animations, and Tell-Tale Productions

DWC also have the licensing rights to Jay Ward Productions, Tribune Media Services, Voltron, Theodore Tugboat, and several Godzilla films; as well as the character brands to Felix the Cat, Noddy, Olivia, and Where's Waldo. And Netflix in particular has a deal with DWA that gives them premium TV rights to DWA's films, who in turn produces a fair amount of animated programming for the streaming service (through their TV division).

That contains access to the likes of Mr. Magoo, R-B's Christmas stop-motion specials (Rudolph, Frosty, etc.), VeggieTales, Casper the Friendly Ghost, He-Man and the Master of the Universe, Postman Pat, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dick Tracy, and others.

What I'm curious about is how this deal affects the management of the studio. Katzenberg no longer in control of DWA operations comes across as a good thing to me. Hopefully his departure may result in a halt to their implied direction of having their films pandering to kids ("lol Penguins, Guardians, Turbo underperformed because they were geared too much towards adults").

In addition, it's worth noting Fox holds current distribution of their films (existing films and upcoming films), thanks to a five-year deal made in 2012. Will Universal pull a Disney and re-acquire the film rights, or let the current deal lapse (said deal presumably ends in 2017)?

this is a depressing post to read

so much stuff that in any just world should be public domain by this point

• 3 weeks later...

So, for anyone who cares, a clip from the upcoming movie Trolls was released a few days ago, and it provides a much better idea of what the movie will be like than the teaser that was released back in January. 

Honestly, I like it. It may not be anything amazing, but I find the clip to be quite amusing (especially the gag at the end), and the movie certainly looks like it's going to be very visually appealing. The designs may be simple, but Trolls looks very cute and colorful, and I'm just loving the textures.

Hopefully, this clip will convince people that Trolls will at least be okay, if not straight up good, after the teaser convinced so many people that Dreamworks had completely lost it, pretty much just because it used Whip NaeNae. 

Here's hoping for a new trailer soon, one that shows off more of the Trolls and their world, as well as their enemies, the Bergens. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

Well, here it is, at long last, the first real trailer for Trolls. I've been very curious (and optimistic) about this movie for some time now, especially since the Cloud Guy clip, despite there being a lot of hate surroumding this one, and, I have to say, I'm very impressed by this trailer! Watch it, it actually looks amazing, and I don't just mean from a visuals standpoint:

Though, something must be said about the visuals. Whatever the quality turns out to be for the writing, this is already one of the most gorgeous and visually creative CGI movies yet, not just from  Dreamworks, but in general. The designs, the animation, the textures, the colors, everything here is incredibly well done, and this trailer is simply a treat, nay, a feast to look at. Dreamworks have really outdone themselves here.

With that out of the way, this trailer is just plain fun. The music isn't some crappy contemporary song like in the last trailer, it's actually one of the songs from the movie (yes, Trolls does feature a few original songs, not just preexisting music), and I quite like it, it really seems to fit the movie and the party-like tone it seems to be going for. There are many different characters and enviornments on display here, and it just makes the movie look fun and exciting. The world really looks like one we've never visited before, and I actually really want to immerse myself in it in a way no other animated movie has in quite a while. There are also a few actually funny jokes here, and there will probably be at least one that gets a chuckle out of you.

Hopefully, this trailer will convince those that were skeptical towards Trolls after January's teaser to give it a real chance, because it really does paint this picture that Trolls will just be a really fun, colorful ride with likeable characters and great music, rather than Dreamwork's take on Smurfs.

Yeah, this is certainly much better than the original trailer. My thoughts went from "ugh, this is gonna suck" to "you know what? This looks fun!"

Good job, Dreamworks. You listened to the criticisms of the teaser and delivered a much more appealing trailer.

49 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, here it is, at long last, the first real trailer for Trolls. I've been very curious (and optimistic) about this movie for some time now, especially since the Cloud Guy clip, despite there being a lot of hate surroumding this one, and, I have to say, I'm very impressed by this trailer! Watch it, it actually looks amazing, and I don't just mean from a visuals standpoint:

Though, something must be said about the visuals. Whatever the quality turns out to be for the writing, this is already one of the most gorgeous and visually creative CGI movies yet, not just from  Dreamworks, but in general. The designs, the animation, the textures, the colors, everything here is incredibly well done, and this trailer is simply a treat, nay, a feast to look at. Dreamworks have really outdone themselves here.

With that out of the way, this trailer is just plain fun. The music isn't some crappy contemporary song like in the last trailer, it's actually one of the songs from the movie (yes, Trolls does feature a few original songs, not just preexisting music), and I quite like it, it really seems to fit the movie and the party-like tone it seems to be going for. There are many different characters and enviornments on display here, and it just makes the movie look fun and exciting. The world really looks like one we've never visited before, and I actually really want to immerse myself in it in a way no other animated movie has in quite a while. There are also a few actually funny jokes here, and there will probably be at least one that gets a chuckle out of you.

Hopefully, this trailer will convince those that were skeptical towards Trolls after January's teaser to give it a real chance, because it really does paint this picture that Trolls will just be a really fun, colorful ride with likeable characters and great music, rather than Dreamwork's take on Smurfs.

The trailer looks ok I guess. As for the environment and immersion thing, if you like that watch Zootopia, which I doubt this movie can even come close to matching.

Just now, pppp said:

The trailer looks ok I guess. As for the environment and immersion thing, if you like that watch Zootopia, which I doubt this movie can even come close to matching.

I have seen Zootopia, actually. I finally got to check it out a little after the Bluray was released. Freakin' amazing movie, and it did do a good job of immersing myself in its world, which was masterfully crafted unlike any other anthropomorphic animal world I've ever seen. However, I can certainly tell you that Zootopia's trailer didn't particularly grab me. The movie, and its world, looked solid, but I didn't really become interested enough to go out of my way to pay money to see it (as opposed to waiting for it to show up on TV, because we're not swimming in money) until the reviews and audience impressions started coming out.

My above post (and, by extension, the rest of this sentence) may actually say more about me than it does about Trolls or its trailer, but I can definitely say that, at least from a purely visual standpoint, this trailer appeals more to my sensibilities than Zootopia's did. Now, I'm not saying that Trolls will be better than Zootopia (not sure that's even going to be possible for any animated movie, at least not for a while), or that it will be more immersive, but I can safely say that this trailer makes me want to immerse myself in its world more than the trailer for Zootopia.

• 4 weeks later...

Dreamworks is really trying desperately hard to get cash from Shrek.

The ogre had his ending, there's no need to make another movie. I'd be fine if they made more specials, like Scared Shrekless or Shrek The Hells, but that's where it should stay.

And I swear, Dreamworks might be trying to capitalize off the Shrek memes as well with this decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know.... a prequel would actually be an OK route to go with Shrek 5. It'd be interesting to see where Shrek and Donkey were before the first movie, I guess.

Forgot this thread existed, so here's a poster for Captain Underpants that was revealed a while back:

MV5BNTlkMWZkMTUtNDJkYi00ZmY1LWI3MmUtZDg5

Hey, looks pretty faithful to say the least!

• 5 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2016/08/dreamworks-animation-croods-2-kevin-dan-hageman-brothers-1201807624/

Dan and Kevin Hageman, the writers for Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, The LEGO Movie and Hotel Transylvania are rewriting the script for The Croods 2.

I wasn't that big of a fan of the first movie, but hey you got the writers of one of my favorite shows of all time. I'm slightly more interested.

Shrek the Fitfth: Because We'll Never Have Enough, Apparently.

To be frank, Dreamworks has a mixed track record, so even at my most optimistic, I can only say "this could either be good or bad."

As for the Captain Underpants film...same deal. And I never saw Croods 1, so I have no clue what to expect.

Aren't I just a ray of optimism?

• 6 months later...

Krupps VA is fine, but it's weird that George and Harold sound old.

It looks like they're combining the first, second and fourth books to a tee.Also, lol at those honking punches! 

If they don't make callbacks to the flip o ramas, that'll be a missed opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 2

This looks so good and so funny. I LOVED these books when I was younger and now I'm completely hyped to bring back this part of my childhood! I'm just really excited and I'm not even much of a movie person, nor have I thought about this series in years x)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's confirmed Flip-O-Rama will still remain in the movie in some form.

• Thumbs Up 5