Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

So...Home 2, 3, and 4 confirmed? *Shot* 

Seriously, though, nice to see Dreamworks making money from pretty much anything.

Have you seen the film yet?

They also had to shut down one of their studios so I'd rather they made money than lost it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they avoided Batman vs Superman, at least.

Seriously, Dreamworks changes release dates like I change my mind on what chocolate to have!

Smart move to move it to January since there's no competition during that month. And like Dwibs said, it now won't have to worry about getting murdered by Batman vs Superman. Now if only Disney would be smart and change Moana's release date so that it will avoid competition with the Harry Potter spin off.

Only problem I see with moving it to January is that it's effectively a dump month. The winter weather, if bad enough, can also prevent people from seeing the film.

Winter weather is a problem during December too which nonetheless tends to be pounced upon by studios as it's both the holiday season and it's closer to the Academies which allows higher-brow films and Oscar bait to be more relevant in the minds of voters. The biggest problem with January, honestly, is that we're coming off of spending a shitload during Christmas and studios don't want to push it. Granted, KFP is a franchise with a pedigree and goodwill. I imagine it will set some records for the month as a result and they can use that to play up its marketing even more. Also, China is coming up as a booming market and they seem pretty into the films for obvious reasons. Releasing it in a no-competition month will probably work well in its favor.

There's a slight problem with moving Kung Fu Panda 3 to January 2016, it will be competing with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, a family-friendly Disney/Star Wars movie. Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be staying in the box office till February 2016, depends if Star Wars fans ignore it or not.

Is there any time of the year they can release these things without heavy competition? The more I follow Dreamworks' schedule the more the answer seems to be "No, and it's a futile effort to try".

On a side note, watched Penguins and Turbo now. Former was fun (really want to watch the commentary and read the art book for it. There was so much weird stuff I want to see their comments on). Latter reminded me why Dreamworks has the reputation they do.  

If Star Wars is doing Avatar rates of attendance over an entire month after the movie has shipped (and assuming Abrams didn't screw it up in some major way to cause any bad word of mouth), then I will be genuinely surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though Home is doing surprisingly well at the box office, I don't think anyone here on SSMB has seen it yet. I certainly haven't cos it doesn't appeal to me at all! I'll just wait for Netflix to put it up or something.

Anyway, in Kung Fu Panda 3 news apparently Mads Mikkelsen isn't voicing the villain anymore (who is now called Kai instead of The Collector), supposedly replaced by J.K. Simmons. And because this is made in collaboration with Oriental Dreamworks, it's the first time the Chinese dub of the film will actually be reanimated to match lip movements of the Chinese voices!

Aaaand here's a new synopsis too!

”In 2016, one of the most successful animated franchises in the world returns with its biggest comedy adventure yet, KUNG FU PANDA 3. When Po’s long-lost panda father suddenly reappears, the reunited duo travels to a secret panda paradise to meet scores of hilarious new panda characters.  But when the supernatural villain Kai begins to sweep across China defeating all the kung fu masters, Po must do the impossible—learn to train a village full of his fun-loving, clumsy brethren to become the ultimate band of Kung Fu Pandas!”

The second movie had a pretty generic sounding plot too, and it was amazing.

I saw Home and genuinely liked it. It had some moments that made me sigh at the comedy, but then there were moments, the heartfelt moments between two friends, that really made me smile. I recommend it. Much better than The Croods or Turbo which were frankly mediocre.

I'm super pumped for KFP because the second was so amazing. They'll probably show a trailer or something at Comic Con this year (maybe even a few clips) so I'll report back what I see.

I'm extremely excited for KFP 3...although I doubt they can top KFP2's ending. It's one of my favourites:

To be honest both of the KFP movies had a synopsis that sounded rather underwhelming, but I was pleasantly surprised twice, hopefully I get proven wrong a third time.

Well I was right about it being the one where Po reunites with his dad. Curious how they'll handle that. And hearing the villain is going to be more supernatural-based than the last two is intriguing. Only thing that disappoints me is that judging from the solicit is that it seems the Furious Five or Shifu won't play as big of a part in this one. It's kind of shame since the Furious Five are rather the least developed characters (except Tigress in the sequel, that actually redeemed her character in my eyes). It also wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get defeated by the new villain since he's all about toppling kung-fu masters just so we have Po and his army of pandas really only able to fight him in the climax. 

• 1 month later...

First teaser poster of the Trolls movie, which is coming out late next year.

page_0019_large.jpg

If they can't at least make the Trolls look appealing unlike the ugly dolls (I never liked them, even as a kid), then I'm not sure I want to see the movie. 8I I just...ugh, I'll wait for a trailer.

I like the new Dreamworks logo though!

I really like that logo. It's a good combination of the old logo into a much narrower more effective design.

Also, the textures on that troll's hairband, that hair...oh man, I do like how Dreamworks is moving with their texturing and computer graphics.

Meh, I don't think I really like the new logo. I find it pretty bland IMO. I mean, I didn't think the original was anything spectacular, but this one's just plain boring.

I'm getting pretty of sick of how everyone these days seem to be simplifying their logos.

And also... Trolls? Really? I never found them appealing in the slightest TBH. I dunno, it could surprise me, but at the moment I'm not really feeling much interest.

Official art for KFP3

nDTSNTd.png

j7t3R6B.png

xkHtWSg.png

(That last one xP)

Also I dunno of it was already stated, but Po's real dad is who Bryon Branston will be playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that's what I like to see, more KPF3 (where's mah teaser trailer?)! Really like Tigress' new look! <3

Because Dreamworks has a new logo, does this mean we'll get a new animation that will show up at the beginning of every movie?

I think that's just a new print logo they are using. The actual logo they use in their films is still unchanged (and why would they? It's still relatively new, it's only six years old).