Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

Lemme get on that hype train with you, I've always wanted to see someone attempt something like this. What're we talking here, 2D characters in a CG world, or something else?

It will be CG characters and world while the shadows are 2D animation. That is all they really told about the hybrid style, which makes we want to see how they plan on doing with it.

Man, I usually never get emotional watching movies or such, but damn... Kung Fu Panda 2, fuck that film.... never seem so much emotion expressed in an animated movie before... gotta be my favorite by DreamWorks, next to Prince of Egypt and How to Train Your Dragoon, the trailers don't show you how really deep and awesome these films can be.

Dreamworks is really hit or miss. Sherk (only the first one) is one of my favorite movies. Madagascar was terrible. HTTYD was really well done.

I mean, most of the movies they make are pretty funny in a way, but the story is never as good as Pixar movies.

Edited by Mono
  • Thumbs Up 1

I realize Madagascar is a pop culture clusterfuck that easily invites scorn upon itself, but I can't bring myself to hate the original all that much. The Tex Avery callbacks in the animation are fun to watch and very stylistic (and nearly lost completely in the sequels; goddammit DreamWorks). The character designs, with their blatant exaggerations, also follow more in the vain of Golden Age animal design than what you see anymore today; Disney rarely draws characters like that for their films, even in movies where it might call for it such as The Emperor's New Groove. Also, turning Alex into a secondary villain due to the predatory and prey conflict that would naturally arise in such a situation was clever. I think the movie's got some redeeming qualities. Also, tranquilizer scene; t'is funny. <3

• Thumbs Up 4

In all honesty, I got enough laughs out of Madagascar for me to generally enjoy the film. It's no Pixar, sure, but I thought it was fun regardless.

• Thumbs Up 2

I realize Madagascar is a pop culture clusterfuck that easily invites scorn upon itself, but I can't bring myself to hate the original all that much. The Tex Avery callbacks in the animation are fun to watch and very stylistic (and nearly lost completely in the sequels; goddammit DreamWorks). The character designs, with their blatant exaggerations, also follow more in the vain of Golden Age animal design than what you see anymore today; Disney rarely draws characters like that for their films, even in movies where it might call for it such as The Emperor's New Groove. Also, turning Alex into a secondary villain due to the predatory and prey conflict that would naturally arise in such a situation was clever. I think the movie's got some redeeming qualities. Also, tranquilizer scene; t'is funny. <3

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

Meh, I still can't see or understand Madagascar's appeal, especially the first one. Most of the reasons listed here did not save the film for me, and most of the comical scenes, such as the tranquilizer one and "I like to move it" felt more obnoxious than funny... It actually killed my faith in Dreamworks animation for a while.

IMO, I find it to be the overrated Dreamworks movie. :/

While I do beleive that Prince of Egypt is one of their best films, my all time fave by them was the Road to El Dorado. I mean it's not everyday we have an animated film aimed towards familys get away with sexual innuendos ("I fought your sister and that's a compliment/with my best sword!"), swearing (anything coming out of Tulio's mouth), high-octane alcoholic drinks, and a camp gay relationship between the two heroes. Come to think of it, Tulio is probably the gateway drug to any kid who saw this film into adolescence.

But on top of that we had an awesome voice cast with the likes of Kenneth Branagh (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), Kevin Kline (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), Edward James Olmos (BladeRunner), Armand Assante (Judge Dredd), Tobin Bell (the Saw series up to Saw 3D) Rosie Perez (Criminal Justice) and of course Jim Cummings (SatAM), and a wonderful score done by Hans Zimmer and Elton John, who had previously done work together in the Lion King.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreamworks has a couple gems, but mostly their movies pale in comparison to Pixar. How to Train Your Dragon was phenomenal, and the first 2 Shrek movies were pretty good, but I can't stand Kung-Fu Panda, Madagascar, or their countless sequels and spin-off TV shows. And Antz just really scared me when I was little for whatever reason.

Though Pixar has been lagging lately, I still enjoy their movies collectively a lot more than Dreamworks's.

Edited by Sapphire

To me, their most underrated movie by far is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimerron. It's ability to make me well up is really on par with Toy Story 3 even, and to this day it still gives me chills, especially the soundtrack.

IMO, I find it to be the most overrated Dreamworks movie. :/

Eh? I thought most actual movie-goers absolutely hated that movie. It's very rare that I actually run into someone online who doesn't have a vitriolic hatred for the movie and everything it stands for. :P

If I had to pick an overrated one, I'd say Megamind. Most people seem to like the movie for reasons I simply can't fathom; I absolutely hated it. I'd easily call it one of their worst films, and after Shrek 3, that's saying quite a lot.

speaking of bad dreamworks movies

220px-Movie_poster_Shark_Tale.jpg

yes, the memories of this film you've repressed in your mind are all flowing back....*trollface*

Why did you have to mention that film, I had it erased in my memory.

Edited by Mono

Zinos, you avatar just fits you. Thanks for reminding me of that abomination of a movie.

Zinos, you avatar just fits you. Thanks for reminding me of that abomination of a movie.

oh no, you're too kind

here's your reward:

there was supposed to be a sequel to the film, but it sadly got scrapped

such a shame that a sequel wasn't made

Edited by Zinos

Personally, I really loved how Puss in Boots didn't try to be another Shrek movie. The emphasis on adventure over comedy, the lack of cameos from the previous films... it all made for a great standalone film, if you ask me.

I'd have to say that How to Train Your Dragon is definitely one of my favorites of their films. It didn't overdo it on the comedy and pop culture references, which was a big beef of mine with films like Madagascar, Shark Tale, and Shrek.

I don't get too mad at the original Shrek for being laden with pop culture because it is still a genuinely funny fairy tale film, and the most sincere, lean, and well-done film of the series. But the sequels continually traded the original's comparative humble workings for increasingly-inconsequential character development and bigger and bigger set pieces and ways to shoehorn in a popular disco song or reference to a TV show. It just got bloated and ridiculous after awhile.

But that's why we have Over the Hedge, amirite? =D This film gets overlooked a lot, mostly because I know very few people who've even seen the thing. I specifically remember it being written off during the time when it was extremely popular to deride "talking animal films," which is kind of a shame because it's pretty good. I think one of the best things it does- at least for a Dreamworks film- is that it manages to develop all of its protagonists through action, arcs and resolutions, making the characters and their group dynamics more empathetic and integral to the story than, say, everyone sans Po, Mr. Ping, Tigress, and Shifu in the Kung Fu Panda movies. Also, it's got a pretty sweet alternative rock soundtrack from Ben Folds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreamworks aren't bad. I don't judge them too much because a lot of their films just fail to even get me into the cinema to watch.

How To Train Your Dragon was great but had a few things that irked me somewhat at times (just little things like the kids having randomly american accents and the "omg is hiccup dead" moment at the end just sort of being random and for the sake of it).

I do love the Shrek movies but yeah 3 was very very weak. 4 was still nowhere near as good as 2 and especially 1, but it was decent enough to make up for 3.

And uhh, the other ones I've seen, Antz, Over The Hedge and Madagascar were all entertaining but in the long run totally forgettable for me. I've never had any urge to rewatch them like I do with Pixar.

Oh, almost forgot, El Dorado is fantastic.

Edited by JezMM

It's funny in our animation classes, we're told that Shark Tale is our benchmark. With our work, it has to be better than that!

In all honesty, Dreamworks never stuck with me. Yeah, Shrek's good. Even Shrek 2 was good. The rest? Forgettable. You could possibly sway me with Prince of Egypt, but no others. This is true of a company born from spite.

Actually, I don't mind the pop culture in the first two Shrek movies because it's handled in a way that doesn't distract from the film, and the characters and plot are still fun to watch. I just couldn't stand Shrek 3, and I haven't even bothered with the fourth.

It's funny in our animation classes, we're told that Shark Tale is our benchmark. With our work, it has to be better than that!

In all honesty, Dreamworks never stuck with me. Yeah, Shrek's good. Even Shrek 2 was good. The rest? Forgettable. You could possibly sway me with Prince of Egypt, but no others. This is true of a company born from spite.

Well, Shark Tale does actually have good animation. Doesn't mean it's a good film, but nonetheless that's a hefty benchmark for students to meet.

That's also an unnecessarily dismissive attitude towards the company's entire catalogue of films. Regardless of the reason the company was founded, they've put out more good work than the first two Shreks and Prince of Egypt; they've put out work arguably better than all three of those films.

Actually, I don't mind the pop culture in the first two Shrek movies because it's handled in a way that doesn't distract from the film, and the characters and plot are still fun to watch. I just couldn't stand Shrek 3, and I haven't even bothered with the fourth.

I actually heard the fourth film was significantly better than the third, probably around the caliber of the second or so. I still couldn't bring myself to watch though, but take that word of mouth for what it's worth.

When I first saw it, I felt Shark Tale was pretty mediocre, but now I hate it because I've been shown it so many times against my will.

I don't get too mad at the original Shrek for being laden with pop culture because it is still a genuinely funny fairy tale film, and the most sincere, lean, and well-done film of the series. But the sequels continually traded the original's comparative humble workings for increasingly-inconsequential character development and bigger and bigger set pieces and ways to shoehorn in a popular disco song or reference to a TV show. It just got bloated and ridiculous after awhile.

But that's why we have Over the Hedge, amirite? =D This film gets overlooked a lot, mostly because I know very few people who've even seen the thing. I specifically remember it being written off during the time when it was extremely popular to deride "talking animal films," which is kind of a shame because it's pretty good. I think one of the best things it does- at least for a Dreamworks film- is that it manages to develop all of its protagonists through action, arcs and resolutions, making the characters and their group dynamics more empathetic and integral to the story than, say, everyone sans Po, Mr. Ping, Tigress, and Shifu in the Kung Fu Panda movies. Also, it's got a pretty sweet alternative rock soundtrack from Ben Folds.

Wow, you just reminded me about that film. That's definitely my favorite Dreamworks Animation film.