Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

421_558935890818621_1306260391_n.png

So yeah, this is DreamWork's first of their three films to be released in 2014, with How To Train Your Dragon 2 following in June, and Home in November. Have some images.

I have no knowledge of Peabody's Improbable History (which this is based on), but I must say that the art style has at least caught my eye. It looks very wacky and cartoonish, and the aesthetic in general from the images released so far just looks pleasing. Me likey.

Brian Griffin gone nerdy XD?

This film has Stephen Colbert voicing the villain.

All criticisms for this film are null and void.

• Thumbs Up 2

This film has Stephen Colbert voicing the villain.

All criticisms for this film are null and void.

Well dang.

Now I need to watch this movie.

I remember the Peabody and Sherman cartoons used to bore me to death when I was younger. The movie on the other hand, looks to have a lot more life than the source material ever had. At least from what they're showing us so far.

Color me interested for this one.

421_558935890818621_1306260391_n.png

So yeah, this is DreamWork's first of their three films to be released in 2014, with How To Train Your Dragon 2 following in June, and Home in November. Have some images.

I have no knowledge of Peabody's Improbable History (which this is based on), but I must say that the art style has at least caught my eye. It looks very wacky and cartoonish, and the aesthetic in general from the images released so far just looks pleasing. Me likey.

I'm curious about this since it's been years since there's been any new anything for Jay Ward cartoons (to my knowledge). Maybe it'll lead to some kind of revival for Rocky and Bullwinkle in the future. Not too surprised by the fact that it'll feature a celebrity cast, but it should interesting to see how they translate a six-minute Peabody cartoon into a feature-length film. The style looks quite nice. And Colbert is in it? Consider me intrigued.

Oh, forgot to mention:

Rob Minkoff is helming this film. If you don't know what he is or what he did, he directed The Lion King (along with Roger Allers), some Roger Rabbit shorts, and the first two Stuart Little movies to name a few. He's a credible director at least, so not that many worries on my end.

Edited by Felix

I'm curious about this since it's been years since there's been any new anything for Jay Ward cartoons (to my knowledge). Maybe it'll lead to some kind of revival for Rocky and Bullwinkle in the future. Not too surprised by the fact that it'll feature a celebrity cast, but it should interesting to see how they translate a six-minute Peabody cartoon into a feature-length film. The style looks quite nice. And Colbert is in it? Consider me intrigued.

Accompanying the film is a Rocky and Bullwinkle short, being directed by Gary Truesdale (co-director of Beauty and the Beast).

Also some trivia: Ty Burrell is the current VA for Mr. Peabody, but the previous actor they had signed on for him? Robert Downey, Jr.

Accompanying the film is a Rocky and Bullwinkle short, being directed by Gary Truesdale (co-director of Beauty and the Beast).

Oh, you know, I was just reading about that today actually. Tom Kenney is voicing Bullwinkle in it and he mentioned it in this A.V. Club interview. New Rocky & Bullwinkle sounds good to me. Maybe a new cartoon could come down the line in a few years depending on how this Peabody film does. Since Dreamworks is working on the Peabody film, I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I will say if Rocky & Bullwinkle gets a revival, I'd like it done more closely to the old cartoons' style--just with a better budget than back then--instead of another CGI 'toon. But I'm veering way off topic here.

It's got Bastille in for the soundtrack?

I...don't know how to feel about this either. Only the US would know about this pair and the only way I ever found out about these guys was through either The Simpsons or Family Guy, can't remember which one. I don't know how this film will do outside the US, saying that.

I'm not sure the film being based on an American-centric property will be a detriment to its success, simply because as an animated film it's an idea that's potentially appealing on its own merits without the backing of previous material. I mean, how many people in the world have read the How to Train Your Dragon books, or the Shrek book, versus how many have seen the respective films? It's a weird IP to get for sure, but a simple one (smart dog and naive boy go on time travelling adventures and teach the audience history), and I don't think you need to be familiar with it to enjoy it.

Wait, Shrek was based on a book?

Yep.

The plot of the movies is quite different from the one from the book, then again, they have to come up with new material from a 32 pages book to 4 whole movies, one spinoff movie and a few specials.

Don't really know what to think of that Peabody and Sherman trailer, that Trojan horse inside the Trojan horse was sightly amusing, though.

Wait, Shrek was based on a book?

Yes Shrek was based on a book and his model was based on Maurice Tillet aka The French Angel who was a wrestler.

Facts facts facts.

I'm not sure the film being based on an American-centric property will be a detriment to its success, simply because as an animated film it's an idea that's potentially appealing on its own merits without the backing of previous material. I mean, how many people in the world have read the How to Train Your Dragon books, or the Shrek book, versus how many have seen the respective films? It's a weird IP to get for sure, but a simple one (smart dog and naive boy go on time travelling adventures and teach the audience history), and I don't think you need to be familiar with it to enjoy it.

Judging by the trailer, however, it appears you've got to be at least familiar with them to understand the basics. Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon didn't need that since all you needed to know was there was "an ogre/dragons and they didn't like people, but things changed", but with this IP the whole fact that they had a time machine was just a bit odd, going "this is an intelligent talking dog and a kid....oh, and they have a time machine".

Judging by the trailer, however, it appears you've got to be at least familiar with them to understand the basics. Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon didn't need that since all you needed to know was there was "an ogre/dragons and they didn't like people, but things changed", but with this IP the whole fact that they had a time machine was just a bit odd, going "this is an intelligent talking dog and a kid....oh, and they have a time machine".

In all fairness, it's not like the original Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons dive into any kind of backstory or explanation for why there's an intelligent dog with a pet boy. It just is. But I suppose since I'm familiar with the IP I don't really care for a backstory or an explanation for what is already a ridiculous (but entertaining) concept to begin with.

In all fairness, it's not like the original Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons dive into any kind of backstory or explanation for why there's an intelligent dog with a pet boy. It just is. But I suppose since I'm familiar with the IP I don't really care for a backstory or an explanation for what is already a ridiculous (but entertaining) concept to begin with.

I know, but you still know that they went back in time in the comic strips, so you'll be familiar with that.

Oh and just to keep in track, Rocky and Bullwinkle did worse than the likes of Thomas the Tank Engine did here, probably because they were so unknown here as well. I still don't know what they do, what do they do?

I'm just worried that with all the different settings the movie will take place in, that they may rush each little scene and not fully develop them.

I'm just worried that with all the different settings the movie will take place in, that they may rush each little scene and not fully develop them.

I dunno, Bill and Ted did alright with that...

...Just realised this film is pretty similar to Bill and Ted to someone who knows nothing of these two. Guh, that might not go down well.

Time travel.

Oh boy, here we go, watching a movie about an overused science fiction subject. Seriously, they could have thought of something else other than time machines and such.

I know, but you still know that they went back in time in the comic strips, so you'll be familiar with that.

Oh and just to keep in track, Rocky and Bullwinkle did worse than the likes of Thomas the Tank Engine did here, probably because they were so unknown here as well. I still don't know what they do, what do they do?

Basically just getting mixed up in shenanigans every time they crossed paths with a pair of spies. That's probably not the best explanation in the world, but Rocky and Bullwinkle were more often than not minding their own business and then occasionally getting scammed by the two spies (they're not always the brightest bunch, I admit).

Time travel.

Oh boy, here we go, watching a movie about an overused science fiction subject. Seriously, they could have thought of something else other than time machines and such.

Except time travel is the point of "Peabody's Improbably History," but OK...

If this film does well, then I certainly wouldn't mind this film team taking a stab at Rocky & Bullwinkle and Dudley Do-Right movies.

If this film does well, then I certainly wouldn't mind this film team taking a stab at Rocky & Bullwinkle and Dudley Do-Right movies.

Whatever they do, they'd both be much better than the abysmal live-action film adaptations both properties got.

• Thumbs Up 3