Awoo.

DreamWorks Animation SKG

Nepenthe

I really hate to say it but Home looks like one of the more phoned-in DWA films in recent years. Everything from what I've seen in the TV promos and trailers seems extremely by-the-numbers. I'm also not really impressed by the production crew reportedly making a lot of changes to the source material, which from the looks of things was made to make this indistinguishable from other DWA comedies. Of the DWA projects that should had been indefinitely put on hold, I think this film should had been one of them; because I have a nagging feeling this might be one of DWA's biggest commercial bombs yet (something they really don't need, given the commercial disappointments of their previous films and the subsequent layoffs / closure of PDI that happened as a result).

I second the thought about Home possibly bombing. At this point, Kung Fu Panda 3 might be their only saving grace.

I don't have much faith in Home's performance at the box office either. =/ Not only is the film getting mixed reviews from critics, but it's also going to be competing against Cinderella!

Surprisingly, Home is already coming out here in the UK in less than a week, seven days earlier than the US. But we get Cinderella the day Home comes out in the US, so I wonder how things will turn out. Probably not so good, and knowing that this is Dreamworks' only film this year...it's gonna be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people are down marking it because it has a lot of pop culture references in it.

My question to them is: Did they research the god damn source material? The book is FULL of pop culture references and is practically part of the theme. You barely need to look at a single page to see that.

Oh well. Animations will always have that problem.

Home has already grossed $19.2 million in just nine territories and is now number one at the UK box office. Yay?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/home-occupies-top-spot-at-uk-box-office-110599.html

Wonder how long it will stay at the top though, with Cinderella and Spongebob 2 coming out this Friday.

Eh, I wouldn't know about that...the movie is heavily advertised on Italian Tv, but Spongebob is still in the theatres and Cinderella is selling like hotcakes. I don't really think it will be a success here in Bootland.

A lot of people are down marking it because it has a lot of pop culture references in it.

My question to them is: Did they research the god damn source material? The book is FULL of pop culture references and is practically part of the theme. You barely need to look at a single page to see that.

I haven't read the book (though I am about to since I ordered it a few days ago from Amazon =P), but maybe the way the pop culture references are written in the book is better than in the movie. Apparently Home is already completely different from The True Meaning of Smekday besides Tip, Oh, the Boov and the Gorg so wouldn't be surprised if writing is affected too.

I watched about 20 minutes of it at Comic Con last year and really liked what I saw. I'll probably be there day one to see it.

It's not like they needed to make an adaption for the book. It's entirely possible the people who say that would have not liked the book, too. 

Ahhh it's just frustrating when they review a film which has previous source material they don't bother looking at it briefly to get an idea to what is going on in the film. I've not seen Home nor do I have an opinion to whether I think it's good or not, but geez, when the book you're adapting from has an organisation called B.O.O.B in it, there's going to be a lot of silly jokes in the film.

It's just supposed to be fun and silly. A lovely illustrated book:

reasonstoread.gif

To be fair, the marketing has been absolutely atrocious for this film. Aside from Rihanna and the Big Bang Theory dude being in it, and the musical car sequence, they have shown off nothing else. Subsequently I've not been interested in even following its development. Such a shame too. First major CGI animated film with a black female protag getting this treatment. =/

• Thumbs Up 8

Ahhh it's just frustrating when they review a film which has previous source material they don't bother looking at it briefly to get an idea to what is going on in the film. I've not seen Home nor do I have an opinion to whether I think it's good or not, but geez, when the book you're adapting from has an organisation called B.O.O.B in it, there's going to be a lot of silly jokes in the film.

It's just supposed to be fun and silly. A lovely illustrated book:

I haven't seen it either, but there are a lot of people who think movie adaptions should stand alone, and I agree with them, especially when it comes to reviews. The movie's meant to be the story in a different medium, not a tie-in you need the book to understand. 

That thing was pretty funny, though.

I actually saw the trailer for that not too long ago and I don't know what feel about it really. It looks nice I guess and the animation wasn't bad, but I can't really round up any feelings towards it, so I'm not sure what to think about the movie. Although a year ago I've heard bad things about Rihanna when she got the role for this movie and I don't know why really.

I actually saw the trailer for that not too long ago and I don't know what feel about it really. It looks nice I guess and the animation wasn't bad, but I can't really round up any feelings towards it, so I'm not sure what to think about the movie. Although a year ago I've heard bad things about Rihanna when she got the role for this movie and I don't know why really.

Probably because people still have a bad taste in their mouths from "Battleship".

Probably because people still have a bad taste in their mouths from "Battleship".

Even then, she didn't really have much to do in that movie. :/

I think there's two reasons why this has done surprisingly well at the box office worldwide;

- There are no other animated films in cinemas at the moment besides Home. Well there's Spongebob 2 but that's been out for a while in the US and only premiered in the UK last Friday.

- Rihanna and J.Lo have done LOADS of promotion for this, both through social networking like Twitter and American Idol last week where J.Lo performed a song from the film.

On one hand I'm happy that Dreamworks is making money off the film because it means they'll stay around longer, but on the other hand I'm annoyed because this means that Dreamworks will continue making these generic above average comedy flicks with pop culture humour and dance party gags. And yes, apparently there IS a dance party ending in Home! ARGH

Still waiting for the next HTTYD/KFP movie, since those are the only ones worth watching from the studio aside from the occasional surprise like Puss in Boots and Mr. Peabody & Sherman. I know I'm the only one that likes those movies but whatever.

Still waiting for the next HTTYD/KFP movie, since those are the only ones worth watching from the studio aside from the occasional surprise like Puss in Boots and Mr. Peabody & Sherman. I know I'm the only one that likes those movies but whatever.

dammit i lost my post *ahem* anyways...

If this posts later or something, then whatever, but I'm evidently in the minority when I say that I liked most of their movies except for HTTYD2 and Prince of Egypt (don't flame me pls)

Really like their diversity, though, it's awesome. I'm just going to leave this here... http://insertcoolpunhere.tumblr.com/post/107815905514

I keep seeing things on Tumblr telling people to go see it and to not believe the critics. It's coming from the artist's side of Tumblr.

Basically, the people who are saying to go see it are saying it for "the artistic value, the mother/daughter quality, black female protagonist, to save Dreamworks" while the other side is going "WOAH THEM HAIR PHYSICS".

Maybe it's the popularity of Rihanna and Jim Parsons that's also pulling people to go see it. Otherwise, it's looking good for Dreamworks.

Also turns out Home is Dreamwork's 3rd highest grossing film that is not a sequel on its first weekend.

So...Home 2, 3, and 4 confirmed? *Shot* 

Seriously, though, nice to see Dreamworks making money from pretty much anything.