Awoo.

Patticus

The Oculus Rift is a Virtual Reality headset. "Yawn," I hear you mumble, "VR headsets are shite, this is probably no different."

That's what I thought, too. I wasn't taking it at all seriously, until I saw the roll call of developers commenting in the video beyond the link:

http://www.kickstart...p-into-the-game

"Rift could be the closest we've come to Star Trek's holodeck." - Gamespy

“...the effect of using the Oculus Rift as you play is mind-blowing." - G4TV

"...we found ourselves entirely absorbed; a gaming experience with a level of immersion genuinely unlike anything else we have ever encountered." - CVG

You get a bundled copy of Doom 3: BFG with your Oculus. Immersive corridors.

Ho wow, I was just going to make a topic for this! I just got finished watching the promotional video on their Kickstarter an woah snap son!

Gabe Newell and Epic Games are backing this!

My body is ready! Seems like the Oculus might just be a VR headset that doesn't suck for a change! Woo woo!

Edited by HunterTSF

This is sort of old news, I personally don't know how long this Kickstarter Project has been going for but John Carmack of ID Software built it I think, there is a video where he talks about how he built it and how Doom 3: BFG Edition will support it and how he planned to make more and sell them for roughly £500 I think (just of the tip of my head).

Good to see that it's not all talk!

This is sort of old news, I personally don't know how long this Kickstarter Project has been going for but John Carmack of ID Software built it I think, there is a video where he talks about how he built it and how Doom 3: BFG Edition will support it and how he planned to make more and sell them for roughly £500 I think (just of the tip of my head).

This one began on August 1st, and it has already raised over $1,000,000 (that's a million buckaroos), and it won't just be usable in D3:BFG...

The Kickstarter was born on Wednesday, August 1, and in less than 24 hours met its funding and then some.

During QuakeCon, long time supporter John Carmack told Polygon that Doom 4 would fully incorporate the tech, as a version of Doom 3: BFG Edition already does.

“It’s going to be a fully supported feature on [DOOM4], because I think I could justify — based on the response that we got from our 8-year-old re-release title on here, when we finally do end up giving demos on DOOM 4, we’re gonna say, ‘Okay, here’s all this great stuff, run through all this stuff,’ everybody has a great time, and then at the end you can play it in virtual reality, and that’ll just put the stamp on everything.

“So I think I have good justification for my continued involvement in it.”

Carmack said during Quake yesterday DOOM 4 would be “done when it’s done.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/03/oculus-rift-headset-kickstarter-lands-1-1m-in-funding-doom-4-will-incorporate-the-tech/

With another 27 days to go, this could top $5m.

Damn, didn't see this shit in the sub-forum.

I'm really interested in what developers (a little more so on the Indie side) are going to do with this.

Quakecon Discussion

Edited by Nintendoga

640x480 an eye is a pretty crap resolution. Also, most of the Kickstarter things were for dev kits, and most people on Kickstarter wouldn't use it for that purpose.

It was made quite clear that the funding is to go towards the creation and distribution of dev kits, Gerk. People are excited about this technology, and yeah so what if the resolution right now is a bit low? This tech shows a great deal more promise than most other VR headsets ever have, and if funding this can breathe new life into the concept of VR and make it a genuinely fun, entertaining, engaging and overall viable means of experiencing games (or other entertainment forms) in the near future, with more advanced tech that will undoubtedly put the Oculus Rift in its present form to shame, then it's worth every donated penny.

It was made quite clear that the funding is to go towards the creation and distribution of dev kits, Gerk

Yeah, but if you put enough funds in you GET one of those dev kits, and there's more people paying that much than are probably devs in the world. So that suggests a lot of people just wanted to get a prototype ASAP.

But when they've made enough prototypes, they'll probably have found a way to make it cheaper. So you're paying over the odds for a piece of hardware that will be outdated with functions they'll never use for a much higher price than what they'd get if they waited for it.

The other issue is that only certain games will work, ie first person games like shooters or racing games. Stuff you experience. I can't see anyone making a virtual reality tetris or anything.

And I'm not being mean to the device. Be nice to see VR come back in a managable form. I'm just wondering about some of the random variables.

Edited by Gerkuman
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me, VR isn't complete until they can invent a mass-market way for you to actually walk without running into walls.

Edited by SuperStingray

Well let's face it, this machine isn't revolutionizing anything. It's just another option, but it's a cool option that could really benefit gaming culture in the future. Indeed, it is quite limited with what can be played, since most of the games would have to be first person, but it is a cool different option.

I have to agree though, the people aiming to get their hands on the prototype are probably getting it for the wrong reasons, but hey. In the future they could sell it off for a good price when it becomes history.

• 3 years later...

Necrobump!

You can now pre-order the Oculus Rift, with units shipping throughout March and April this year! All for the low price of....$599/£499/€699 without shipping?

W2kIaaY.gif

Oh.

I know this is new tech, first generation, etc. but if the Oculus Rift was supposed to be a device that was going to bring VR into the mainstream (Zuckerberg said they intended for the product to reach as many people as possible-for those who forgot / don't know, Oculus was purchased by Facebook a few years ago)...their marketing team misfired. This is only going to be in arms reach of enthusiasts and nobody else.

...wait, a videogame related platform has a five hundred and ninety nine US dollars starting point?

0040b864f9748f223bff66b883ec270c.480x360

• Thumbs Up 1

They've absolutely killed themselves. People were estimating $400-$500 as high end and I thought that was way too much.

This consumer price is utterly insane, in the UK it's £500 + shipping which is well above both conversion and taxes. 

In mainland europe it's over 700 Euros before shipping!

• Thumbs Up 1

You know there's a development unit that's been in a Cex shop here in Glasgow for a while and it's only £250. 

Definitely a surprise to see these prices.

Pffffffft-hahahahaha.

And the social media explosion is imminent. save for a PC you don't charge that much for tech like this without backlash.